PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State- stay FCS with eyes on the MEAC

bobbythekidd
August 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM
http://www.savannahnow.com/node/558331

Flythe, before speaking briefly at the scholarship extravaganza - but not about SSU's Division I status - told the Savannah Morning News that SSU will remain in Division I. He also said the Tigers intend to join the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, and hinted that membership could come as early as December.
It looks like they are sticking to the decision, and with 6 non-FCS games they may even pull off a winning season.xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Do people in the MEAC really believe that Savannah St will be admitted? What's the consensus on that one? Will North Carolina Central also find a home in the MEAC?

bobbythekidd
August 25th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I looked it up. The last winning season was 1998 with a 7-4 record.

IaaScribe
August 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't go that far, Bobby ... Savannah hasn't exactly lit up the nons they've played in recent years: 3-8 against non-DIs since 2005.

2007 (1-3)
Johnson C. Smith W, 24-10
Fort Valley State L, 33-2
Morehouse L, 32-14
Edward Waters L, 24-7

2006 (2-3)
Benedict L, 21-7
Miles L, 24-12
Morehouse W, 24-20
Johnson C. Smith L, 27-6
Edward Waters W, 28-7

2005 (0-2)
Benedict L, 31-14
Central State L, 28-27

813Jag
August 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't go that far, Bobby ... Savannah hasn't exactly lit up the nons they've played in recent years: 3-8 against non-DIs since 2005.

2007 (1-3)
Morehouse L, 32-14
Edward Waters L, 24-7

2006 (2-3)
Benedict L, 21-7
Miles L, 24-12
Morehouse W, 24-20
Johnson C. Smith L, 27-6
Edward Waters W, 28-7

2005 (0-2)
Benedict L, 31-14
Central State L, 28-27
They're pretty bad losing to Edward Waters twice, Waters is an average NAIA team.

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM

2007 (1-3)
Morehouse L, 32-14
Edward Waters L, 24-7

2006 (2-3)
Benedict L, 21-7
Miles L, 24-12
Morehouse W, 24-20
Johnson C. Smith L, 27-6
Edward Waters W, 28-7

2005 (0-2)
Benedict L, 31-14
Central State L, 28-27

Oh my gosh. That is awful! Are they good in any other sports? If not, it seems like they should drop back down to D-II so they can at least compete. Maybe even D-III!

Oh well, if they want to continue setting themselves up for failure, that's their problem.

It seems like the MEAC would have better options for new members than Savannah State. Have WSSU and NCCU officially joined?

813Jag
August 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Oh my gosh. That is awful! Are they good in any other sports? If not, it seems like they should drop back down to D-II so they can at least compete. Maybe even D-III!

Oh well, if they want to continue setting themselves up for failure, that's their problem.

It seems like the MEAC would have better options for new members than Savannah State. Have WSSU and NCCU officially joined?
Winston Salem has joined.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Perhaps they have wealthy alums who are just too damned proud and stubborn to face reality.

bobbythekidd
August 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think so. I rember reading an article in the local paper that the basketball team didn't win a single game. I don't remember now, but I think the team went a few years without a win. I may be wrong on that second part and too lazy to look it up.

For those not familier with them, the old administration just up and decided it wanted to be DivI so they made the move. Never crunched the numbers or conducted a feasability study. Now they are suffering to keep up. Did anyone notice they were dead last on the preseason power rankings?

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Is Savannah State carrying a full boat of scholarships?

UAalum72
August 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
They must be, Pete's Power Poll ranks them where he won't rank the NEC and PFL.

In the 2005-06 school year SSU football was 0-11, Men's BB was 1-26, and women's BB was 4-24

Eaglesrus
August 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM

They were good in baseball until last year and then they fired the coach.

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM
They must be, Pete's Power Poll ranks them where he won't rank the NEC and PFL.

In the 2005-06 school year SSU football was 0-11, Men's BB was 1-26, and women's BB was 4-24

Oh that's right the end-all, be-all of FCS classification: Pete's Power Poll.
xrolleyesx

You have to wonder what kind of staff they are hiring if they have a full allotment of schollys and can't beat DII and DIII teams. That's horrendous. Its one thing if you play a ridiculous schedule (SUU) but its another when you play 50% sub-DI games and can't win. Talk about needing to start fresh.

813Jag
August 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I don't think so. I rember reading an article in the local paper that the basketball team didn't win a single game. I don't remember now, but I think the team went a few years without a win. I may be wrong on that second part and too lazy to look it up.

For those not familier with them, the old administration just up and decided it wanted to be DivI so they made the move. Never crunched the numbers or conducted a feasability study. Now they are suffering to keep up. Did anyone notice they were dead last on the preseason power rankings?
FWIW I believe their basketball team beat Southern Miss this year, but there also was that debacle against Kansas St. (I think they scored like 4 points in a half)

Libertine
August 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM

SSU has never carried the full complement of scholarships at the D1 level. At the end of Richard Basil's tenure, SSU was at 29 schollies and lost 2 of those to probation. Part of the current coach's deal when he was hired was that the admin would expand the number of scholarships to a minimum of 40 but I'm unaware of what the timetable is on that.

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
SSU has never carried the full complement of scholarships at the D1 level. At the end of Richard Basil's tenure, SSU was at 29 schollies and lost 2 of those to probation. Part of the current coach's deal when he was hired was that the admin would expand the number of scholarships to a minimum of 40 but I'm unaware of what the timetable is on that.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Wouldn't it make more sense for SSU to save the $$$$$, go non-scholly and join the PFL? Reinvest the savings into facility upgrades and on staff. Things that can actually help recruiting?

I'm sure there are a lot of other issues (HBCU, Georgia state university system, etc...) that go along with the debate. I just find it interesting that a program with the money to pay for 20 something scholarships can't recruit and win a few games.

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
SSU would be a good fit in the NEC! :)

Chad4Life
August 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I give Horace Broadnax, the men's basketball coach, a lot of credit for what he has done since being hired at Savannah State. The 4-pt half debacle at Kansas State notwithstanding, he has done a very good job there. Now, how much longer will he be there, that would be the question.

Football, it will be interesting to see what the new staff can do and how they overcome the issues that have plagued the program over the past few years.

I'm really not certain why the MEAC would be in a rush to invite Savannah State as a member. The only (2) benefits that I see is a) Their NCAA "Core" status (which is not needed at the present by the MEAC) and b) Would allow NCCU to enter and keep the # of members as an even number (Is that an important issue for the MEAC? And if so, are there potential members out there once the Division I moratorium ends, such as a Virginia State?)

It will be interesting to see what happens. Savannah State needs conference membership. Does any conference really need them?

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM
SSU would be a good fit in the NEC! :)

Only thing in common is the # of schollys.

And I have to bet that SSU would be a middle of the pack NEC team too. If they were a little more North geographically it would make sense.

Big Dawg
August 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah SSU hasn't been very good and I don't know how they could help the MEAC. I mean they would help cut travel down ESPECIALLY for the two Florida schools, FAMU and BCU. However they have a new football coach this year. Let's see if he can slowly turn this program around.

DSUrocks07
August 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Savannah State joining the MEAC

Pros:
-Divisional Realignment (North/South)
-Less Travel Time
-MEAC would have 12 members sooner
-Partner to bring NCCU into the fold with.
-Georgia footprint for the MEAC, opens the door to Atlanta..

Cons:
-Atrocious in football and other sports
-NCAA probation until 2009
-Only 27 scholarships, supposed to increase to 40 in the future?

Savannah State seems to be one of those "fixer-upper" type schools. IMO the best solution would be to offer a conditional membership to SSU this year. Have them play a full MEAC schedule by 2010. Eligibile for MEAC post season play by 2011. Virginia State would seem to be the perfect replacement for Delaware State in the future but thats a debate for another time and place. Right now Savannah State is our best bet.

DSUrocks07
August 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Do people in the MEAC really believe that Savannah St will be admitted? What's the consensus on that one? Will North Carolina Central also find a home in the MEAC?

NCCU will probably be admitted either next year or when the moratorium ends...also there's the fact that it will give the MEAC 11 football members and 13 total. So IMO they'll prolly need to be paired with another school to balance the conference.