PDA

View Full Version : FCS in the News

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM
So I was coming back from church in Ocean City, NJ on the last day of vacation yesterday. Too lazy to make my own, I stopped in at the corner store for a coffee and the paper. I pull out the Sports section of the Sunday Atlantic City Press and there it is front page...

http://media.pressofatlanticcity.com/smedia/2008/08/23/23/300-6017057.embedded.prod_affiliate.101.jpg

...Georgia Southern vs Furman?!?!
(actually the picture was about 1/4 of the page)

Pretty good article too...
Local stars shine in FCS: Former DI-AA showcases area football players
By SUSAN LULGJURAJ Staff Writer, 609-272-7187

Many fans still think of it as Division I-AA, but it's been called the Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS, for a year now.
It's long but right, considering the national champion is determined by a real playoff system - not by strength of schedule or who likes which team more.

The Football Bowl Subdivision (think Notre Dame or Michigan) is different because the top two teams in the Bowl Championship Subdivision rankings compete for the title of national champion. It has drawn arguments from fans and pundits alike.

Perhaps, fans should be watching the FCS (or Division I-AA as many still know it). One of the biggest differences is that every ranked team has a chance at a national title. If you do watch, you might even catch some familiar faces.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/126/story/236862.html

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
very interesting choice of a picture and seems like a nice article... sort of strange though... reason for article?

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM
very interesting choice of a picture and seems like a nice article... sort of strange though... reason for article?

The Phils are in a offensive draught The AC Surf is out of town and the Eagles don't have a WR?

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Click on the article. It talks about local high school stars who moved on to 1AA teams, including Ga. Southern.

Go Poly
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
The writer listed Middle Tennessee State as FCS, I thought the moved up to FBS? xconfusedx

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
The writer listed Middle Tennessee State as FCS, I thought the moved up to FBS? xconfusedx

I spotted a few errors, but in fairness, South Jersey is about as barren of college football knowledge in the country. It's Eagles territory, through and through.