PDA

View Full Version : Richmond at #17 James Madison

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2005, 12:19 PM
It will be homecoming weekend in Harrisonburg this weekend as the Richmond Spiders crawl into Bridgeforth Stadium for a Saturday afternoon showdown which has the potential to have a major impact on not only JMU's season but JMU's football program. Sure the national championship and excellent stadium improvements has helped JMU football but long-term success of making the playoffs more regularly than once every five years is what will make or break JMU into becoming a regular I-AA power. JMU needs to win what should be a challenging game against the surprisingly good Spiders. Feel free to share your thoughts on this game on this thread...

UD1993
October 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
JMU by 4.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sure the national championship and excellent stadium improvements has helped JMU football but long-term success of making the playoffs more regularly than once every five years is what will make or break JMU into becoming a regular I-AA power.
Finally a voice of reason from H'burg. Where were you in the off season when your fellow fans here declared that JMU would be set for life thanks to the money spent?

Spider
October 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
will be a close game but Spidahs will win at Madison......

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
will be a close game but Spidahs will win at Madison......
Could you imagine? UR wins at JMU, UNH stars UMass on a four game skid... who's left standing? :eek:

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Could you imagine? UR wins at JMU, UNH stars UMass on a four game skid... who's left standing? :eek:
Keep dreaming :rolleyes:

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Finally a voice of reason from H'burg. Where were you in the off season when your fellow fans here declared that JMU would be set for life thanks to the money spent?

I was here in the offseason but have not become very outspoken until recently. This game is a must win for JMU's football program. I cannot even put words to how important it is for JMU to win this homecoming game against a rival school. Everyone involved with JMU needs to be there on Saturday psyched to squish some Spiders or JMU might be caught in the web of mediocrity instead of years of consistent success in I-AA.

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3443.asp?TeamID=2
Here is some information about the game and the series:

HARRISONBURG, Va., Oct. 24, 2005 – The James Madison University football team plays its Homecoming game Saturday (Oct. 29) by hosting an opponent it has met more often than all but one of its all-time foes. Richmond is the Dukes’ Saturday opponent, and the teams will be meeting for the 23rd time overall and for the 11th time in Harrisonburg.

JMU and Richmond first played during the 1981 season, and William & Mary (27 series meetings) is the only opponent the Dukes have played more often. The teams have played every season since not meeting in 1986.

JMU will take a 4-3 overall record and a 2-2 Atlantic 10 mark into today’s game and is coming off a 34-28 conference loss last week at Delaware. Richmond is 4-3 overall and 4-1 in the Atlantic 10. The Spiders defeated Hofstra 43-37 in double overtime at home last week in league play. They have the best record in the Atlantic 10 South and have won their last four conference games. Richmond has three straight wins overall and four victories during its last five games.

Richmond lost three of its first four 2005 games but beat Villanova (38-20) and Delaware (20-10) before last week’s game with Hofstra. The Spiders have a conference road win over Maine (26-21) and have met a Division I-A opponent, losing 37-13 at Southeastern Conference member Vanderbilt.

Richmond leads the series 12-10, but JMU has won the last two meetings. Each team has five victories in games at JMU with the Dukes winning 34-14 on their home field in 2003 in the teams’ last meeting in Harrisonburg. Richmond has a 6-5 lead in series games on its field and beat JMU in the 1985 Oyster Bowl game in Norfolk.

The teams’ first meeting was in 1981 (24-7 Richmond home win) when the Spiders were competing at the Division I-A level. Richmond won the first four meetings before JMU scored a 41-3 home victory during a 9-3 NCAA Division I-AA playoff season in 1987. That victory began a streak of five straight JMU series wins, including two shutouts. Richmond then won eight of 11 series meetings before JMU won each of the last two meetings.

Among the series highlights has been a then-Division I-AA-record kickoff return effort by JMU’s Jay Jones in 1996. Jones, a Richmond native, had kickoff returns for 268 yards in the Dukes’ 31-27 victory.

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Richmond has a 6-5 lead in series games on its field and beat JMU in the 1985 Oyster Bowl game in Norfolk.

Can someone fill me in on what was the Oyster Bowl?

TigerFan17
October 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Umm, well...UNH, W&M...and.....RICHMOND :eek:

Spider
October 25th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Umm, well...UNH, W&M...and.....RICHMOND :eek:
sounds good to me....

Tribe4SF
October 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Can someone fill me in on what was the Oyster Bowl?

Shriners classic game that used to be played at Foreman Field. W&M played in a number of them, usually against East Carolina.

bluehenbillk
October 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM
This game will be close. Richmond impressed me a heckuva lot more than JMU did. Stacey Tutt will be the key in this game, he goes off again & UR wins, they keep him in check the Dukes win.

dwtime
October 25th, 2005, 10:11 AM
This could be one of several 'you lose, you're out' games in the A-10 games coming up in the next 4 weeks.

Don't have a prediction but I have a feeling it will be a very close contest.

Punchykky
October 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think JMU will beat Richmond this weekend, because they had a taste of the national championship last year and they want some more.

Spider
October 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I think JMU will beat Richmond this weekend, because they had a taste of the national championship last year and they want some more.
must not have tasted too good at UD last week......

TypicalTribe
October 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
This game will be close. Richmond impressed me a heckuva lot more than JMU did. Stacey Tutt will be the key in this game, he goes off again & UR wins, they keep him in check the Dukes win.

I'll definitely be rooting for Richmond this weekend. I'd much prefer to have the Tribe facing an already eliminated JMU team next weekend.

It would also be nice to see the W&M/UR rivalry have some teeth for the first time in a few years.

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Richmond's defense is rather generous. Last one who scores wins. Expect the scores in the high 30's.

JMU Duke Dog
October 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Here is some more info about this upcoming weekend's game:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767753131&path=%21sports&s=1045855934844

PASSING THOUGHTS: James Madison has the 11th-ranked passing offense in the Atlantic 10 Conference (187.6 ypg), ahead of only Rhode Island, which runs the option. But the Dukes feature Division I-AA's passing-efficiency leader.

Junior Justin Rascati has completed 70.5 percent of his passes (13 touchdowns, two interceptions). "He's a winner. He makes plays," UR coach Dave Clawson said of the Louisville transfer.

The Dukes (2-2, 4-3), ranked No. 17 in Division I-AA, entertain UR (4-1, 4-3) Saturday at 3 p.m. at sold-out Bridgeforth Stadium on JMU's homecoming. Richmond has won four straight A-10 games. JMU has lost two straight.

MORE ON JMU: Madison gave up one run of 20 or more yards in its first six games. It gave up four last Saturday at Delaware, which rushed for 334 yards. "They surprised us with how many times they ran the option," said JMU coach Mickey Matthews . . . For the first time this season, JMU had D.D. Boxley available. The 5-9 junior, the Dukes top deep threat, dislocated a foot during preseason.

FREEMAN EXPECTED BACK: Richmond's top running back, David Freeman, didn't get up for about five minutes after being leveled by a Hofstra tackler and losing a fumble during a fourth-quarter play last Saturday.

"David had a mild concussion and they sent him to the hospital just forprecautionary reasons [Saturday]," Clawson said. "He was released later that night, and we're optimistic we'll have him for this weekend."

Freeman's lost fumble and injury were only two of several obstacles that UR overcame. The Spiders trailed by two TDs at halftime and 30-17 at the end of the third quarter. A 25-yard field goal try was blocked, and the Spiders had other kicking issues before prevailing 43-37 in double overtime at UR Stadium.

"Teams that end up at the end of the year having a good season and reaching their goals at some point find a way to win a game like that," Clawson said.

TRYOUTS, AGAIN: For the third time since mid-August, the Spiders are looking for a reliable leg.

Sophomore Carter Ball won a preseason competition with senior Joey Fore. Ball missed his first three field goal attempts. Fore, from Monacan High, stepped in and hit 8 of 10 FG tries. Against Hofstra last Saturday, Fore missed a PAT after UR tied it at 30 with 1:31 left in regulation, and a 30-yard FG attempt on the last play of regulation.

Ball kicked UR's PAT in the first overtime. Clawson said Fore's late-game trouble might have been related to an injury he suffered when Hofstra blocked a FG try in the third quarter. Fore and Ball will compete this week for the right to kick at James Madison on Saturday. -- John O'Connor

JMU Duke Dog
October 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Richmond (4-3) at No. 17 James Madison (4-3), 3:00

I don’t know anyone who thought this would be a playoff elimination game for either team. The Spiders figured to improve this season, but a 4-1 Atlantic 10 mark with wins against Hofstra and Delaware was more than most people could have expected. Stacey Tutt had a career day with 450 total yards and five touchdowns in a double overtime win against Hofstra on Saturday, and Richmond head coach Dave Clawson has to be wondering what could have been after moving Tutt to wide receiver as the Spiders began the season 0-2. That James Madison sits on the playoff bubble is surprising as well. The Dukes have blown out four opponents, but weren’t able to pull out close games against Coastal Carolina and Massachusetts. James Madison’s defense was shredded by Delaware running back Omar Cuff in last week’s loss, and the talented Dukes are on a two-game losing streak. James Madison seems to have as much talent on the roster as it did in last year’s title season, so it’s hard to imagine the Dukes will fall out of the playoff picture so early by losing at home. James Madison should come out motivated after losing two straight, and keep its name in the playoff picture by knocking off the improving Spiders.

Prediction: James Madison 28, Richmond 17

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM
This could be one of several 'you lose, you're out' games in the A-10 games coming up in the next 4 weeks.

Uhhh... this is the A-10 every year.

Don't let that last game fool you... we have arguably the best defense in the A-10, definitely the best on turf.

We win this one and provide some serious tension on the boards for the W&M game.

JMU 23
UR 7

bandl
October 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM
We win this one and provide some serious tension on the boards for the W&M game.

I certainly hope so....but man, I just don't have a good feeling about this team anymore. I saw them lose to UD last weekend, and it seemed like they weren't really trying, especially on defense. I saw a handful of plays where a defensive player was going for a tackle, but actually let up because it SEEMED he thought that one of his teammates was going to make the tackle (I didn't know that 1 tackler was better than 2). And then we all know what happened after that....I'm not going pull up the exact stats off the internet to prove my point, but 300+ yards rushing by UD and how many runs of 20+ yards??? You see my point. Our only saving grace may be the fast field at Bridgeforth. It seems to me though that UR thinks they have more to prove. A big game (not like the big game up north, though) nonetheless....but I won't be surprised to see either team win.

JMU Duke Dog
October 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Don't let that last game fool you... we have arguably the best defense in the A-10, definitely the best on turf.

JMU 23
UR 7

:nono: Not so fast my friend! Our defense gave up more than 200 rushing yards to Delaware phenom Omar Cuff. I think our defense needs to do some thinking and hard work to get back to where they were before the Delaware game last weekend. We must take one week at a time and focus solely on Richmond as if there was no other college football team in the world. If we do not accomplish this, then look for Tutt to burn us and end our playoff hopes. Also, win or lose the score will probably be closer than your prediction.

89Hen
October 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Not so fast my friend! Our defense gave up more than 200 rushing yards to Delaware phenom Omar Cook. I think our defense needs to do some thinking and hard work to get back to where they were before the Delaware game last weekend.
Just rembember that your D gave up 163 to Omar last year and did just fine against everyone else (and just fine against UD considering you won the game).

bandl
October 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Just rembember that your D gave up 163 to Omar last year and did just fine against everyone else (and just fine against UD considering you won the game).

But the difference between this year and last year is that JMU is NOT making that one big play in the close games to win it. UD, Lehigh, Furman, etc. JMU has been in a position (within 1 score) this year to win some of those close games they lost, but they haven't made that big play this year that essentially was a guarantee last year. If they make just one big play in either the UD, UM or CCU game, they are 5-2 and very much in the thick of the A-10 race. Or even the other way around...if they don't GIVE UP one big play in either of those games, they could be 5-2 or better.

You win some, you lose some! Is that your biggest 'DUH' statement of the day or what??? :D

JMU Duke Dog
October 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Yes but our defense made stops and big plays when necessary as Delaware scored only 13 points while racking up 466 total offensive yards on JMU's 2004 defense. Our team this 2005 season has not made quite the number of game-changing big plays that were made last year. One example of a missed game-changing opportunity was a dropped interception by Adam Ford that would have resulted in a victory at Coastal Carolina. I think it is a combination of desire and luck with how the ball bounces. Hopefully JMU will get back on track this weekend and play up to their potential. One example of how JMU can play on defense was when JMU made a goal line stand stopping Maine from scoring when the Black Bears had a first and goal opportunity from the one yard line.

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 09:55 AM
:nono: Not so fast my friend! Our defense gave up more than 200 rushing yards to Delaware phenom Omar Cuff. I think our defense needs to do some thinking and hard work to get back to where they were before the Delaware game last weekend. We must take one week at a time and focus solely on Richmond as if there was no other college football team in the world. If we do not accomplish this, then look for Tutt to burn us and end our playoff hopes. Also, win or lose the score will probably be closer than your prediction.

Did you not read my post? I said don't be fooled by that game... the UD game.

Omar killed us last year and this year they threw in one heck of a wrinkle with that option attack which Ricco ran to perfection. Throw in bad weather (I saw TLez slide past many tackles and the D-line couldn't get agressive, i.e. speed was negated) and a couple of long runs... you have, what appears to be, a struggling defense. I say "Not so fast my friend", as this defense is just fine. They do need to come out with some passion against Richmond and play well... and I think they will do exactly that. On a fast track, there ain't a lot of teams that can play with us, though I do admit, this team is missing that mettle/chemistry from last year. That will be our downfall if there is one, not talent.

I give credit where credit is due, the Blue Hens ran it down our throat with a game plan that was simple and unexpected. Credit Keeler, his staff, Sonny and Omar for whippin' our buts. The Richmond game is a polar opposite in terms of gameday situation. Look for us to come up big with a solid defensive game.

DB_Atlantic10
October 26th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Yes but our defense made stops and big plays when necessary as Delaware scored only 13 points while racking up 466 total offensive yards on JMU's 2004 defense. Our team this 2005 season has not made quite the number of game-changing big plays that were made last year. One example of a missed game-changing opportunity was a dropped interception by Adam Ford that would have resulted in a victory at Coastal Carolina. I think it is a combination of desire and luck with how the ball bounces. Hopefully JMU will get back on track this weekend and play up to their potential. One example of how JMU can play on defense was when JMU made a goal line stand stopping Maine from scoring when the Black Bears had a first and goal opportunity from the one yard line.

I agree, JMU will be fine...sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games as some of these threads..... A lucky break here and there for our opponents and the Dukes all of a sudden can't play football..... I give each team full credit for their wins, they came to play and got the wins, but looking into the games, their best was only enough to muster at home games against a tough, yet not quite clicking Dukes team.. Once this team starts clicking, I don't think their are many teams around that can keep pace.... But so far it's been a great catch/missed Int at CCU, a Fumble/clutch kick at UMass and a slip/60 yard run at UDel. Each one of those teams did their part in the wins with outstanding team and performances from key players, but each of those games could have gone the other way....and that's the key.

Sure "They" say we should have and "We" say we could have won, but that's why they play the games...and the A-10 would not be the A-10 if one team could dominate each opponent week in and week out. So those of you on the band wagon, you have one chance to get off this Friday, because it only stops once and Saturday will be too late. If the Dukes win out as I feel they will, I don't want all of you doubters coming on here saying I told ya so!!! :deadhorse

89Hen
October 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM
A lucky break here and there for our opponents and the Dukes all of a sudden can't play football.....
:nod: UD is a couple plays away from being 6-1 (Towson and Hofstra) and a couple others from being 2-5 (Lehigh and JMU). Probably quite a few teams are in the same boat. It is amazing how much we think of teams strictly by W/L.

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I agree, JMU will be fine...sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games as some of these threads..... A lucky break here and there for our opponents and the Dukes all of a sudden can't play football..... I give each team full credit for their wins, they came to play and got the wins, but looking into the games, their best was only enough to muster at home games against a tough, yet not quite clicking Dukes team.. Once this team starts clicking, I don't think their are many teams around that can keep pace.... But so far it's been a great catch/missed Int at CCU, a Fumble/clutch kick at UMass and a slip/60 yard run at UDel. Each one of those teams did their part in the wins with outstanding team and performances from key players, but each of those games could have gone the other way....and that's the key.

Sure "They" say we should have and "We" say we could have won, but that's why they play the games...and the A-10 would not be the A-10 if one team could dominate each opponent week in and week out. So those of you on the band wagon, you have one chance to get off this Friday, because it only stops once and Saturday will be too late. If the Dukes win out as I feel they will, I don't want all of you doubters coming on here saying I told ya so!!! :deadhorse

BINGO, Atlantic. Nailed it.

Yeah, we lost a couple games... doesn't mean we're a bad team. We simply play in the A-10, have had a few plays not 'fall' our way, been on the road in some tough matchups and played in some weather. We made the plays early last year to win those games, we haven't this year... yet.

Three of the last four at home. I like our chances. (and some call me crazy, but I've been saying all along I LOVE the way we match up agaist the Tribe).

Season ain't over yet folks.

My one key: we need someone to step up and be more vocal on defense, need that one guy that can light a fire with folks. We have in on offense with Justin, just don't see that yet on defense.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM

JMU 23
UR 7
You are no where NEAR the best D in the A10... who do you think your fooling?

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2005, 12:44 PM
cmon Booze, now I've read it all, UD's game plan was simple, yes, but UNEXPECTED???

Omar ran the ball 39 times, he normally gets 25+ touches per game, what part of the game was unexpected. What was unexpected IMO was JMU's defensive effort. It's not that UD had success, it's how they had it. UD came out & punched JMU right in the mouth & they fell right onto their behinds. UD only had 5 OL play, zero rotation, we started a true freshman at Center in his first college game ever & they just dominated. Yea, Omar broke tackkes too, but there were some serious holes.

I thought the strength of JMU was their O & D-lines, neither of which was very impressive last Saturday. It's a good thing Rascati can move because he doesn't get very good pass blocking.

Personally, I can't see JMU running the table.

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM
cmon Booze, now I've read it all, UD's game plan was simple, yes, but UNEXPECTED???

Omar ran the ball 39 times, he normally gets 25+ touches per game, what part of the game was unexpected. What was unexpected IMO was JMU's defensive effort. It's not that UD had success, it's how they had it. UD came out & punched JMU right in the mouth & they fell right onto their behinds. UD only had 5 OL play, zero rotation, we started a true freshman at Center in his first college game ever & they just dominated. Yea, Omar broke tackkes too, but there were some serious holes.

I thought the strength of JMU was their O & D-lines, neither of which was very impressive last Saturday. It's a good thing Rascati can move because he doesn't get very good pass blocking.

Personally, I can't see JMU running the table.

Absolutely, the option was unexpected, Keeler and MM both mentioned it. YOUR COACH EVEN said it. :cool: KC was surprised at how well it worked and MM was p*ssed that we couldn't come up with a solution. Clearly, too, we weren't ready for it either.

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Let me preface the above by saying that 'running Omar' certainly was expected... 'running the option' indeed wasn't.

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2005, 07:16 AM
You guys have a different opinion of what an option is. How many times all game did Sonny pitch the ball to Omar on an option? Answer: zero. Getting a snap in the shotgun & faking the ball to a RB or taking off with it yourself isn't exactly a traditional option attack.

Tribe4SF
October 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Getting a snap in the shotgun & faking the ball to a RB or taking off with it yourself isn't exactly a traditional option attack.

If that's what gave them fits, wait till they get a load of Stacy Tutt and Jake Phillips over the next two weeks.

89Hen
October 27th, 2005, 07:47 AM
If that's what gave them fits, wait till they get a load of Stacy Tutt
That's why many think Richmond can win this game.

boozeANDammo
October 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
That's why many think Richmond can win this game.

No, it wasn't a traditional *under center* option. We're loosly referring to that offensive play (and in reality, it really was one play) as an option because the QB has the exact same set of 'options' on the play. Just because he was running it from the shotgun doesn't make it different. Either way, we couldn't stop it.

We play Tutt on turf and we *know* Clawson is going to run that to some extent. Different parameters all together. We'll do much better, though I can see why that opinion exists.

DTSpider
October 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I think that part of what scares JMU is that Tutt is so big. I heard Mickey Matthews on the radio and he mentioned that he was worried because Tutt is 240 pounds and runs fast. Just because the turf helps a JMU player get there doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be able to bring down Tutt.

I still think that JMU should be favored. I'm hoping that Tutt can do something special but I don't believe that we're there yet. We've shown we can win at home, but winning on the road is entirely different.

boozeANDammo
October 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I think that part of what scares JMU is that Tutt is so big. I heard Mickey Matthews on the radio and he mentioned that he was worried because Tutt is 240 pounds and runs fast. Just because the turf helps a JMU player get there doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be able to bring down Tutt.

I still think that JMU should be favored. I'm hoping that Tutt can do something special but I don't believe that we're there yet. We've shown we can win at home, but winning on the road is entirely different.

Yep, I agree... getting there is only half the battle. ...and I think just about everyone in JMU nation is worrid about Tutt. Kid can play.

DT, you making it up to the Burg for the game?

DTSpider
October 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
DT, you making it up to the Burg for the game?

Nope. It unfortunately doesn't fit into my schedule this year. Since I don't have a ticket either I doubt I could get in. To be honest it was a game at the beginning of the year I didn't think would matter. I'll just have to settle for voice of Bob Black instead.