PDA

View Full Version : The Big Sky better watch out!

ncbears
August 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
For this guy! Our transfer QB from Florida, Bryan Waggener. He's impressing just about every one in fall camp. He was one of the top JC Qb's before signing with Florida.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:O-BMBaLcrhV6PM:http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/77007286.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d% 3D17A4AD9FDB9CF193E7907F767875D197BD8069456294663E 284831B75F48EF45

UNCBears2010
August 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
For this guy! Our transfer QB from Florida, Bryan Waggener. He's impressing just about every one in fall camp. He was one of the top JC Qb's before signing with Florida.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:O-BMBaLcrhV6PM:http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/77007286.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d% 3D17A4AD9FDB9CF193E7907F767875D197BD8069456294663E 284831B75F48EF45

Agreed. Waggener is a Stud with a capital 'S'. Granted, a trained monkey would probably look good after two years of Domipick Breazeale.

Grizalltheway
August 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
If he's so good, why did he transfer to the Big Sky cellar dweller (honest question)? xconfusedx

UNCBears2010
August 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm going to have to say it was good recruiting that got him out here.

And we finished tied for 8th in the conference last year, thank you very much.

NoCoDanny
August 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
He can't be any worse than the last 5 or so QB's we've had so even sight unseen he's an upgrade.

mvemjsunpx
August 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
And we finished tied for 8th in the conference last year, thank you very much.

Uh, no you didn't. UNC finished dead last…

'07 BSC Standings (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/conf/bigsky/standings.aspx?season=2007,sc=AG,conf=Big%20Sky)

I Bleed Purple
August 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I recall saying the same thing about Jimmy Barnes last year. We all know how that turned out.

cats2506
August 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I recall saying the same thing about Jimmy Barnes last year. We all know how that turned out.

Is Barns still on the team or did he leave?

I Bleed Purple
August 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Last I heard he is in fact the backup. Dude can throw the ball, but can't move, and his decision making is pretty poor, probably due to him believing he can make that pin point pass.

EDIT: Just looked at the roster. He's not on there.

ncbears
August 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
If he's so good, why did he transfer to the Big Sky cellar dweller (honest question)? xconfusedx

Our head coach is a very good recruiter. He was Nebraska's top recruiting coordinator when they had those top ranked classes.

We had a very young team the past couple years - Over 70% Redshirt freshman or younger.

He picked us to play for over UC-Davis, U of Deleware and Sac St.

CatFan22
August 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM

Not hard to do. xrolleyesx
I know, smack. :)

Grizalltheway
August 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Our head coach is a very good recruiter. He was Nebraska's top recruiting coordinator when they had those top ranked classes.

We had a very young team the past couple years - Over 70% Redshirt freshman or younger.

He picked us to play for over UC-Davis, U of Deleware and Sac St.

Let's hope he's happy with his decision. xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
August 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Not hard to do. xrolleyesx
I know, smack. :)

An MSU fan smacking a Northern Colorado fan? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

CatFan22
August 23rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
An MSU fan smacking a Northern Colorado fan? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

One game doesn't make the smack unacceptable. xrotatehx

Grizalltheway
August 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
One game doesn't make the smack unacceptable. xrotatehx

No, but it does make it awfully stupid. xlolx xrulesx

PantherRob82
August 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Sam houston said the same about Bomar

catbob
August 23rd, 2008, 03:29 AM
No, but it does make it awfully stupid. xlolx xrulesx

1-16 in conference in two years (2-23 overall), I don't care who that one win was against, anyone can smack talk you.

If I remember correctly, after you're first season in the Big Sky, your football team, men's basketball, and women's basketball teams had a combined 4 wins in conference play.

uofmman1122
August 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
1-16 in conference in two years (2-23 overall), I don't care who that one win was against, anyone can smack talk you.

If I remember correctly, after you're first season in the Big Sky, your football team, men's basketball, and women's basketball teams had a combined 4 wins in conference play.Of course you don't, but everyone else does. xlolxxlolxxsmiley_wix

biobengal
August 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Of course you don't, but everyone else does. xlolxxlolxxsmiley_wix

No doubt, ISU's coaches and players were motivated by the prospect of giving UNC their first Big Sky win.

catbob
August 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
No doubt I wish it wasn't us. But MSU hasn't finished worse than 4th place since 2001, with last year being a down year amidst the controversial firing of Mike Kramer. Yes, we lost to UNC, we played a god-awful game. But everyone knows the success the Cats have had the last few years, 6 straight winning seasons. I just get tired of hearing Bear fans brag about the game, hanging your hat on it just makes you look bad IMO.

Thundering_Herd
August 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
The BSC better watch out? ...what a joke

ncbears
August 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM

If I remember correctly, after you're first season in the Big Sky, your football team, men's basketball, and women's basketball teams had a combined 4 wins in conference play.

I don't think that's right, but I don't have time to go back and look. That was two years ago and I we've improved in every sport, including football. I am peronally going to put us at 2* wins because when Sac St beat us, they needed the luckiest last second hail marry pass to beat us. You'll watch 100 games and you'll never see a play like that again.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
So with the only 3 fans from No Colorado posting on this board who's watching your home games?

ncbears
August 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
We're going to win 5 games this year. We're vastly improved in just about every part of the game.

Here's All-Conference tight end Ryan Chesla

"We're 10-fold better at this point of the season (than in 2007)," Chesla said. "We have more players that can produce now. There was always just that little thing missing last year, and we could never figure it out. It's just clicked finally."

Greeley Tribune

NoCoDanny
August 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
So with the only 3 fans from No Colorado posting on this board who's watching your home games?

There isn't a game today SFB's. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
August 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Success in the Big Sky is usually dominated by strong QB play. In order to do that, you first need a good QB. The rest usually fall right in. Looks like you've got your good QB, if he meets all the hype. Good luck.

UNCBears2010
August 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM

You do know that there are hundreds of thousands of FCS fans that don't post on this board, right?

NorthernColorado
August 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM

The arrogance is astounding, but not surprising.

uofmman1122
August 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM
No doubt I wish it wasn't us. But MSU hasn't finished worse than 4th place since 2001, with last year being a down year amidst the controversial firing of Mike Kramer. Yes, we lost to UNC, we played a god-awful game. But everyone knows the success the Cats have had the last few years, 6 straight winning seasons. I just get tired of hearing Bear fans brag about the game, hanging your hat on it just makes you look bad IMO.I know exactly what you're saying, and I understand.

However, what kind of a Griz fan would I be if I didn't try to rub it in until the novelty has completely worn off? xlolxxwhistlex

cats2506
August 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM
We're going to win 5 games this year. We're vastly improved in just about every part of the game.

Here's All-Conference tight end Ryan Chesla

"We're 10-fold better at this point of the season (than in 2007)," Chesla said. "We have more players that can produce now. There was always just that little thing missing last year, and we could never figure it out. It's just clicked finally."

Greeley Tribune

To win 5 games you will have to win on the road in the Big Sky.

You lose this game
9/06 @ Purdue

Games you lose at home
9/27 Northern Arizona
10/25 Montana
11/08 Eastern Washington

Games that maybe you win if the moon is just right
9/20 Texas State
10/04 @ UC Davis
10/11 Idaho State

Now, if the moon is right above you will need to win 2 of these road games in the Big Sky
10/18 @ Weber State
11/01 @ Montana State
11/15 @ Sacramento State
11/22 @ Portland State

In reality the only game I see you having a shot at this year
10/11 Idaho State

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM
To win 5 games you will have to win on the road in the Big Sky.

You lose this game
9/06 @ Purdue

Games you lose at home
9/27 Northern Arizona
10/25 Montana
11/08 Eastern Washington

Games that maybe you win if the moon is just right
9/20 Texas State
10/04 @ UC Davis
10/11 Idaho State

Now, if the moon is right above you will need to win 2 of these road games in the Big Sky
10/18 @ Weber State
11/01 @ Montana State
11/15 @ Sacramento State
11/22 @ Portland State

In reality the only game I see you having a shot at this year
10/11 Idaho State

IMO - These are the wins

MSU, WSU, Tx St, Sac St, Idaho St, or UC-Davis

We were playing some nice football towards the end of the season. Including games that could have gone either way against Eastern, Sac St.

CopperCat
August 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
IMO - These are the wins

We were playing some nice football towards the end of the season. Including games that could have gone either way against Eastern, Sac St.

No way in hell you beat WSU or MSU, especially on the road. Prepare for a pasting when you come to Bozeman and Ogden.

cats2506
August 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM
IMO - These are the wins

No way you beat MSU or WSU on the road;
The MSU game last year looked like somthing out of the twilight zone, if you are counting on that happening again in Bozeman you will be in for a big dissapointment.
WSU will just flat pound you into submission, dont count on that one either.

I personally dont think you can beat Sac or UCD on the road either. ISU is still your best shot for a 1-10 season

CatFan22
August 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I think ISU and Sac are possible wins. But I agree, no way you beat MSU or WSU on the road.

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think ISU and Sac are possible wins. But I agree, no way you beat MSU or WSU on the road.

We were close to both of them on the road two years ago, and that team was an abomination. I think we go 3-8 at the worst with wins over Tex St, ISU and Sac. No way we beat Purdue, Montana or EWU, NAU isn't looking good, but I think we at least have a shot at beating MSU, WSU, PSU and Davis. Not saying we'll win those four, but we'll be competitive.

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
No way in hell you beat WSU or MSU, especially on the road. Prepare for a pasting when you come to Bozeman and Ogden.

We're 2-1 against you d-bags since moving up. Make it 3-1.

As for the Wildcats, Bears2010 is right. We were about 1 play away from beating them in Ogden two years ago and that was a horrible team. I don't think it's crazy to pick those wins.

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Prepare for a pasting when you come to Bozeman

MSU has never "pasted" the Bears so why would you start now? Since we started the transition we've beat you twice and you guys snuck past the worst UNC team in 20 years by a field goal in Bozeman in '06. I'd say we're your kryptonite but the only team in Montana that resembles Superman plays in Missoula.

P.S. You're welcome Griz fans. xrotatehx

Wolfman
August 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Good luck to the Bears. It would be refreshing to the entire Big Sky if they found a way to be competative.

CopperCat
August 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM

As for the Wildcats, Bears2010 is right. We were about 1 play away from beating them in Ogden two years ago and that was a horrible team. I don't think it's crazy to pick those wins.

So you're telling me you're predicting wins based on two years ago, and last year when our coach showed up just before fall ball started? You NoCo guys talking smack to other teams that have been to the playoffs recently is probably one of the most ludicrous things I have seen on the board in a while. You seriously think that you can run your mouth just because you have a Florida transfer at QB? Woop-die friggin' doo!!!!!!

Yes, NoCo WILL get pasted in Bozeman. You have NO IDEA what kind of team this is, especially the defense.

CopperCat
August 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
MSU has never "pasted" the Bears so why would you start now? Since we started the transition we've beat you twice and you guys snuck past the worst UNC team in 20 years by a field goal in Bozeman in '06. I'd say we're your kryptonite but the only team in Montana that resembles Superman plays in Missoula.

P.S. You're welcome Griz fans. xrotatehx

Now is the perfect time to start, due to the following reasons:

1) Kramer no longer makes a head case out of the team before gametime
2) Ash has a year under his belt, and the spread offense is in place
3) We have two QB's who are multitudes better than Rolovich or Carpenter were
4) Our defense might be the best in the conference (at least top 2)
5) The team remembers last year and how they played like crap towards the end of the season

Last year in Greeley for the Cats was a complete fluke. They played like crap, and they knew it. This year there are no excuses. If you want to continue the smack talk, go for it. You're just making complete a$$clowns out of yourselves.

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM

5) The team remembers last year and how they played like crap towards the end of the season

Last year in Greeley for the Cats was a complete fluke. They played like crap, and they knew it. This year there are no excuses. If you want to continue the smack talk, go for it. You're just making complete a$$clowns out of yourselves.

Fluke my ass. Was it a fluke before when we beat you in Bozeman two years before that? You beat us by 3 points in '06. Should I call that a fluke?

CrazyCat
August 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Fluke my ass. Was it a fluke before when we beat you in Bozeman two years before that? You beat us by 3 points in '06. Should I call that a fluke?

Did you watch last years game?

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Did you watch last years game?

I was there. Did you watch it?

We played pretty bad too and we still won!

grizband
August 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Here's the thing, though - UNC didn't improve in a vacuum. While they may be leaps and bounds above last year, I think WSU and Sac will be improved (although both games are winnable). I would love to see the Bears competitive, because its better for the conference, but understand, the rest of us have nothing to compare. You need a good showing this year, to begin earning respect from other fans. Good luck this season, I would love to see a winning record from Greeley (although, a loss against Montana).

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM

And I can give six reasons why this isn't the year you start pasting us:

1. Dalton couldn't recruit to save his life, and now pretty much all of his players are gone and we have a team that has been recruited by Downing, who before coming to UNC brought in several top classes as the recruiting coordinator at Nebraska.
2. Darnell has a year under his belt, and his pro-style offense is in place.
3. We have three QBs that are lightyears better than Breazeale or Vlahogeorge.
4. You will be expecting the '06 and '07 Bears to show up, and these are not the Bears of last year or two years ago. This team is comprable to the '02 team that made the Division II Semifinals and gave Montana a scare at Wash-Griz and the '03 team that went 9-2 and ended up ranked #19 in I-AA in our first year of transition. (And beat MSU in Bozeman)
5. The team remembers last year and how they played great towards the end of the season, beating MSU and giving EWU everything they could handle.
6. History tends to repeat itself.

Now if we were talking smack to Griz fans or Weber fans or NAU fans, we'd be, as you put it, a$$clowns, but we've beat you two out of three in the last five years, and of the three games the flukiest win was probably your win in Bozeman in '06, if I remember right, you guys got some pretty good home cookin' from the refs in that game.

cats2506
I was there. Did you watch it?

We played pretty bad too and we still won!

ncbears, you coming to Bozeman this year? I would love to buy you a beer and see your face at halftime.

I Bleed Purple

That was a ridiculous game. Bunch of stupid stuff happened in that game. It was a blowout until the end of the third. We all in the stadium were wondering why Weber was doing the crap stuff they were doing. I also think there were some questionable calls. Although the worst call was the play call on UNC's final offensive play. Running a play with the intention of trying to get a bail out interference call? Please.

I also remember getting annoyed at the constant UNC Beeeeeaaaaarsssss chant from the visitor's section. But that's more a home fan annoyance.

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Here's the thing, though - UNC didn't improve in a vacuum. While they may be leaps and bounds above last year, I think WSU and Sac will be improved (although both games are winnable). I would love to see the Bears competitive, because its better for the conference, but understand, the rest of us have nothing to compare. You need a good showing this year, to begin earning respect from other fans. Good luck this season, I would love to see a winning record from Greeley (although, a loss against Montana).

Thank you, I'm not saying we'll get 8 or 9 wins and be competitive for the playoffs by any means, but I think this year we'll be about .500 both overall and in the Big Sky. I'm also saying that I think the game in Bozeman is winnable for the Bears, not that we'll beat MSU 42-7 or anything. I'm just saying they won't do that to us.

cats2506
August 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Downing, who before coming to UNC brought in several top classes as the recruiting coordinator at Nebraska.

So if he is so good, is he the guy that ran Danny Woodhead off, when he really wanted to play for Nebraska

5. The team remembers last year and how they played great towards the end of the season, beating MSU and giving EWU everything they could handle.

You guys cant have it both ways, ncbears says that you played poorly in the MSU game and You say you played great. what is it?

Looks to me like ncbears is just blowing smoke so that just leaves you and you are quickly losing credibility too.

BisonBacker
August 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
xpopcornx

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
So if he is so good, is he the guy that ran Danny Woodhead off, when he really wanted to play for Nebraska

You guys cant have it both ways, ncbears says that you played poorly in the MSU game and You say you played great. what is it?

Looks to me like ncbears is just blowing smoke so that just leaves you and you are quickly losing credibility too.

Downing wanted Woodhead to play at Neb. It was Solich who said he wasn't D1 material.

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM

All of the talent Nebraska churns out, and you pick one case where he may have missed on a guy. Nobody knows how well Danny Woodhead would have done in the Big 12. Downing brought in several classes that were rated among the top in FBS.

Well, our offense played poorly and missed several opportunities, but our defense did play very well, picking off Rolovich three times, and holding the Bobcats to 13 points and 2.9 yards per carry on the ground.

How am I losing credibility? All I'm saying is that we won't be a doormat this year and will hold our own in Bozeman.

CopperCat
August 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
6. History tends to repeat itself.

Now if we were talking smack to Griz fans or Weber fans or NAU fans, we'd be, as you put it, a$$clowns, but we've beat you two out of three in the last five years, and of the three games the flukiest win was probably your win in Bozeman in '06, if I remember right, you guys got some pretty good home cookin' from the refs in that game.

History DOES NOT tend to repeat itself, otherwise you haven't learned anything. You will be pasted, and you will like it. Period. Now stop whining.

And as far as the refs in that game go, you clearly don't remember the TWO TD's we had called back on TERRIBLE calls. One of them I saw from a mere 10 feet away, and the five other guys standing around me confirmed the call was bad. So you see, the final score doesn't really indicate what really happened in that game.

Being in the cellar all the time sucks, so I can understand why this is all coming out now. I've been there and done that.

GOKATS
August 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
C'mon, I wish UNC a good season, but the last two years (the time you've been in the Big Sky) your record is 2-21. In that two year period the Bears have scored 265 pts. and given up 788 pts. That's damn near a 3:1 ratio.

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
History DOES NOT tend to repeat itself, otherwise you haven't learned anything. You will be pasted, and you will like it. Period. Now stop whining.

And as far as the refs in that game go, you clearly don't remember the TWO TD's we had called back on TERRIBLE calls. One of them I saw from a mere 10 feet away, and the five other guys standing around me confirmed the call was bad. So you see, the final score doesn't really indicate what really happened in that game.

Being in the cellar all the time sucks, so I can understand why this is all coming out now. I've been there and done that.

Ok FT - Because YOU said we will get "pasted", I'll believe it. And because you said you had some "TERRIBLE" calls, I'll agree. We got lucky.

xpeacex xpeacex

CatFan22
August 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
ncbears, you coming to Bozeman this year? I would love to buy you a beer and see your face at halftime.

I'll buy him the second one. Why can't this game be sooner?

ncbears
August 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'll buy him the second one. Why can't this game be sooner?

Nice! We're planning on coming to the game. I'm a beer brat, so no crap water-beer like coors

;)

cats2506
August 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
How am I losing credibility? All I'm saying is that we won't be a doormat this year and will hold our own in Bozeman.

Well, this thread is based on the fact that we all should look out because you have a "stud" transfer (your words) We have all been through that, why dont you ask WSU how it worked out for them last year, a lot of the transfers are transfering for a reason.

another big claim is that you recruiter is so great, same guy that blew off DH right.

and thirdly. you are basing this years MSU vs UNC prediction on last years MSU vs UNC game, that game was not at all represenitive of last years team and this years team is much better. You seem to be expecting the same team as last year that played their poorest in Greeley to be the same one that you see in Bozeman, it wont happen.

CatFan22
August 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Nice! We're planning on coming to the game. I'm a beer brat, so no crap water-beer like coors

;)

Depends on the score. ;)

cats2506
August 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM

;)

Great, I understand your feelings about the bears, but the Cats will definetly take that day.

CrazyCat
August 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm going to let coach Ash sum up my feelings about the Big Sky this year.

"We're going to be stronger and better than we were a year ago, but so is everybody else." Rob Ash

UNCBears2010
August 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, this thread is based on the fact that we all should look out because you have a "stud" transfer (your words) We have all been through that, why dont you ask WSU how it worked out for them last year, a lot of the transfers are transfering for a reason.

Waggener is transferring for a reason. That reason's name is Tim Tebow. I understand that past performance is no guarantee of future results, he can't possibly be worse than the guys that we've had under center the last two years, so us Bear fans are understandably excited.

another big claim is that you recruiter is so great, same guy that blew off DH right.

If by DH you mean Danny Woodhead, which would be DW, by the wayxthumbsupx, Downing isn't the only one that missed him, so did coaches at Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Wyoming, Iowa State, Northern Colorado, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota State, and well, you get the idea.

and thirdly. you are basing this years MSU vs UNC prediction on last years MSU vs UNC game, that game was not at all represenitive of last years team and this years team is much better. You seem to be expecting the same team as last year that played their poorest in Greeley to be the same one that you see in Bozeman, it wont happen.

Like I said earlier, I understand that past performance is no guarantee of future results, but we always seem to bring our A game against the Bobcats and, as you guys have learned, it's very tough if not impossible to blow out a team that brought it's A game. There is a good chance we'll lose in Bozeman, but it won't be the rout the Montana State fans seem to think is inevitable.

already123
August 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I was just thinking, does anyone know what the QB battle is looking like at NAU? All I have heard is about how the air attack looks to impress.

Can you imagine Lance Kriesen with an air game?! Lances running ability + vastly improved arm = Offesive POY, hands down

Screamin_Eagle174
August 25th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I was just thinking, does anyone know what the QB battle is looking like at NAU? All I have heard is about how the air attack looks to impress.

Can you imagine Lance Kriesen with an air game?! Lances running ability + vastly improved arm = Offesive POY, hands down

Only if Nichols' arms are tied behind his back... xcoffeex

CatFan22
August 25th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Only if Nichols' arms are tied behind his back... xcoffeex

Only if Crawford is carrying Nichols on his back. xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
August 25th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Only if Crawford is carrying Nichols on his back. xcoffeex

xlolx

CatFan22
August 25th, 2008, 01:51 AM
xlolx

Oh right, sorry. Nichols will already be on the ground when Daly/Fletcher get done with him. xnodx

Screamin_Eagle174
August 25th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Oh right, sorry. Nichols will already be on the ground when Daly/Fletcher get done with him. xnodx

Refer to the photo in my sig. Unfortunately you don't have any gingers at QB to thrash this year. Oh well, we'll take whichever pee-wee leaguer you guys choose as starter! xthumbsupx

catbob
August 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
At least EWU has legitimate smack to throw at us.

MSU has often been a team that plays to the level of its competition: hence the reason we lost to Chadron and UNC, and the reason we beat Colorado and Furman.

I feel sorry for UNC. Not in terms of athletics or anything of that sort. It's just that so many people wanted NDSU and SDSU in the Big Sky, and we ended up choosing a school many felt would make the conference weaker. Basically, it has to be tough for UNC when so many people didn't even want you in the conference .

Bear fans have every reason to be optimistic; any other school would touting Waggener if he had come to them instead. And I echo the sentiments that I want UNC to be competitive, it makes for a stronger conference.

But you guys are going to have to earn respect in this conference. You have to be careful not to get too cocky when you haven't proven anything. I know a lot of Bears fans think that beating the Cats shows that you have arrived or something; I remember a fan on the Big Sky board saying that "UNC has proven they can beat top teams" when they beat MSU last year. The only thing you have proven so far is that you can win 1 game a year.

Just be careful not to get short guy syndrome. Keep cheering on your team, show up for all the games.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 25th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I always root for Montana teams first in the BSC but there is a little part of me that would really laugh my ass off (again) if UNC smacked the cats again this year in Bozeman.

I'm a Griz fan, how could I not find a small bit of humor in that. That being said, I could totally see Bobbie hauck dropping a game to UNC.

NorthernColorado
August 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Just be careful not to get short guy syndrome.

Kind of like MSU fans with Montana?

CopperCat
August 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Refer to the photo in my sig. Unfortunately you don't have any gingers at QB to thrash this year. Oh well, we'll take whichever pee-wee leaguer you guys choose as starter! xthumbsupx

Nevermind that the guy is leading with his head (illegal).xcoffeex

NorthernColorado
August 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Nevermind that the guy is leading with his head (illegal).xcoffeex

Good catch. Wonder if he was flagged for it.

CatFan22
August 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Good catch. Wonder if he was flagged for it.

With Big Sky refs? Doubtful.

catbob
August 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Kind of like MSU fans with Montana?

No that's little brother syndrome. :) We only act like that towards them silly.

DaBears
August 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about UNC's chances this year but Downing hasn't proved a single thing as far as I'm concerned. He can blame the losses on lack of talent but I think his play calling is horrible. I'm sure this new QB is a very physically talented guy but we'll see what kind of character he has throughout the brutal season and I've very rarely been impressed with FBS transfers. I am trying not to buy into the hype but I am excited to see what the team can do.

It's funny how MSU fans try to smack us and tell us how much we suck but we have obviously struck a nerve with them xlolx

However, I'll take MSU smack over what the other team's fans are doing to us--they actually feel sorry for us and want us to win--that's the most insulting, pathetic horrible thing that I've ever seen happen to UNC.

Downing better get 'er dun this year or he'll be looking for a new line of work because I can't imagine too many schools wanting to hire a guy who averages 1 win per year.

biobengal
August 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Bears, you should be careful in thinking one player will be the saviour of your entire program. Two years ago ISU landed a highly touted QB from Michigan, this QB is now showing up in NFL preseason games....... Unfotunately, this QB also led ISU to a miserable 2-9 record looking awfully mediocre in the process.

I Bleed Purple
August 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Wow a post from a Pocateller fan. Don't see that often.

Along those same lines, why can a perpetually bad team have so many posters here while I'm the only Big Sky Purple fan around?

And to NoCol fans, I'd expect the same type game to happen in Ogden this year. Blowout through the fourth quarter, we quit, you score 14-21 unanswered, lose by 8, and claim you almost won the game.

You also have much anecdotal evidence against you. This ISU guy. Barnes last year. Didn't NAU have some transfer QB that was crushing defenses in camp last year? QB transfers don't seem to cut it. Other transfers do, but not QBs.

cats2506
August 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Along those same lines, why can a perpetually bad team have so many posters here while I'm the only Big Sky Purple fan around?

And to NoCol fans, I'd expect the same type game to happen in Ogden this year. Blowout through the fourth quarter, we quit, you score 14-21 unanswered, lose by 8, and claim you almost won the game.

You also have much anecdotal evidence against you. This ISU guy. Barnes last year. Didn't NAU have some transfer QB that was crushing defenses in camp last year? QB transfers don't seem to cut it. Other transfers do, but not QBs.

The best thing to do with a QB transfer is to watch and hope they work out, after you see them in a couple of games you can start to brag thm up if you want. ie. Cats have a FBS and JC transfer this year, I hope one works.

already123
August 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
NAU gets transfer QBs every semester...

NorthernColorado
August 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The sad thing is, I am already looking forward to basketball season. That's a bad sign for a once, very proud football program.

I Bleed Purple
August 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Isn't your basketball team just as bad?

CrazyCat
August 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Hey Bleed, how is Bo Bolen doing in camp?

NDB
August 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM

that's smack against the whole conference for letting the Fozzy Bear's in.

I Bleed Purple
August 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
No clue. I don't follow camp that much. All I know is that the goal line defense is solid.

I had to look him up. Didn't know who he was other than a familiar sounding name. I'd say he's the third string RB, since Lee showed some signs last year and will be the primary backup. He may still get some meaningful playing time, as Smith has had some shoulder troubles at the end of last year that I'm unsure if he'll ever fully recover from. We'll see on Thursday, since he'll play, if not red shirted (don't know his status, red shirt last year?) in the fourth quarter I'd imagine.

DaBears
August 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM

no

CrazyCat
August 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
No clue. I don't follow camp that much. All I know is that the goal line defense is solid.

I had to look him up. Didn't know who he was other than a familiar sounding name. I'd say he's the third string RB, since Lee showed some signs last year and will be the primary backup. He may still get some meaningful playing time, as Smith has had some shoulder troubles at the end of last year that I'm unsure if he'll ever fully recover from. We'll see on Thursday, since he'll play, if not red shirted (don't know his status, red shirt last year?) in the fourth quarter I'd imagine.

MSU asked him to walk-on and several BNers were disappointed we didn't offer him. I'm glad who we got but wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a very good RB for Weber.

biobengal
August 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM

They appear to be improving, 6-10 this past year, 2-14 the year before.

In time UNC will improve in all sports; it has taken years for Sac and PSU to be successful.

SactoHornetFan
August 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
We were close to both of them on the road two years ago, and that team was an abomination. I think we go 3-8 at the worst with wins over Tex St, ISU and Sac. No way we beat Purdue, Montana or EWU, NAU isn't looking good, but I think we at least have a shot at beating MSU, WSU, PSU and Davis. Not saying we'll win those four, but we'll be competitive.

There is no way on God's green Earth you are coming into Hornet Stadium with our vastly improved offense this year and winning. Maybe next year at your place, provided Downing still has a job there then.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I follow the Big Sky ever since the Bison were regected for membership. Would've been nice to start up some "old" rival games. I still believe that NDSU would have been a better fit than UNC even though Fargo is a greater traveling distance...oh well....that's history!!

I think UNC is going to have some problems for a few yrs. I could be wrong but good luck to the Bears this yrxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Hey Griz fans.....hope to see u in the dome for a playoff game:D :D

DaBears
August 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I follow the Big Sky ever since the Bison were regected for membership. Would've been nice to start up some "old" rival games. I still believe that NDSU would have been a better fit than UNC even though Fargo is a greater traveling distance...oh well....that's history!!

I think UNC is going to have some problems for a few yrs. I could be wrong but good luck to the Bears this yrxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Hey Griz fans.....hope to see u in the dome for a playoff game:D :D

MSU, UM and NDSU fans should get together and try to break the world record for the longest elephant walk and maybe that will give them something else to talk about other than the sniveling I'm so used to hearing out of them. Whenever they talk about UNC I picture that their bottom lips start to tremble and the tears well up in their eyes before they break into their tantrums

CopperCat
August 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
MSU, UM and NDSU fans should get together and try to break the world record for the longest elephant walk and maybe that will give them something else to talk about other than the sniveling I'm so used to hearing out of them. Whenever they talk about UNC I picture that their bottom lips start to tremble and the tears well up in their eyes before they break into their tantrums

Well, given UNC's showing in the past two years, can you really blame us? Not good for conference strength.xrulesx

UNCBears2010
August 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
There is no way on God's green Earth you are coming into Hornet Stadium with our vastly improved offense this year and winning. Maybe next year at your place, provided Downing still has a job there then.

That game in Sacramento is going to be a shootout. 35 points might not be enough to win it.

(Note: Now that I've said this, it's likely that the game will end up being 10-7.)

UNCBears2010
August 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
They appear to be improving, 6-10 this past year, 2-14 the year before.

In time UNC will improve in all sports; it has taken years for Sac and PSU to be successful.

On that note, I believe this is our first year with 63 football scholarships.(It might've been last year, I can't keep track anymore) It is my firm belief that the athletic department, not Downing, is to blame our epic failure the last two seasons.

BTW, our basketball recruiting class this year was ranked as best in the Big Sky.

ncbears
August 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Just remember you guys had to have the luckiest play in the history of college football to beat us last season. I hope our players have the Sac game circled.

UNCBears2010
August 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Just remember you guys had to have the luckiest play in the history of college football to beat us last season. I hope our players have the Sac game circled.

Oh, come on, it was the SECOND luckiest play in college football history. Here's the luckiest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GP2QGA3kto

JALMOND
August 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Some observations from all this to UNC fans...

1. Bears talking smack???!!! I like it!!! It might get you killed in Bozeman or Sacramento, but I still like it.

2. You will be improved this year from the past years, but the schedule is murderous. I've got you for two definite wins (ISU at home and Texas State at home) and four definite losses (time will tell and cannot predict surprises but at Purdue, at Weber, Montana at home, and EWU at home).

3. The other five (NAU at home, at Davis, at MSU, at Sacramento and at PSU), these games are key for you. I'm not saying 7-4 this year (I doubt you will be favored in any of these games), but these are the games to make or break your season, in my opinion. 3-2 in these five games will put you at 5-6 for the year and that should be enough to improve on last year in more ways than one.

UNCBears2010
August 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Some observations from all this to UNC fans...

1. Bears talking smack???!!! I like it!!! It might get you killed in Bozeman or Sacramento, but I still like it.

Good thing I wouldn't be caught dead in Bozeman or Sacramento then. xlolx xlolx xlolx

2. You will be improved this year from the past years, but the schedule is murderous. I've got you for two definite wins (ISU at home and Texas State at home) and four definite losses (time will tell and cannot predict surprises but at Purdue, at Weber, Montana at home, and EWU at home).

We hung with EWU in Cheyney last year, but yeah, we'll probably get beat by the Eagles.

3. The other five (NAU at home, at Davis, at MSU, at Sacramento and at PSU), these games are key for you. I'm not saying 7-4 this year (I doubt you will be favored in any of these games), but these are the games to make or break your season, in my opinion. 3-2 in these five games will put you at 5-6 for the year and that should be enough to improve on last year in more ways than one.

That's exactly how I see it, although I'd be happy going 2-3 in those games and ending up 4-7, which is still a big improvement over the last two years.

Green Cookie Monster
August 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Oh, come on, it was the SECOND luckiest play in college football history. Here's the luckiest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GP2QGA3kto

Lucky?

Just win. xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
August 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I didn't read this whole thread, and frankly I don't want to.

I just wanted to stop by and say there is NOT A CHANCE IN HELL that you are beating the Bobcats (The TEXAS STATE Bobcats) this year in Greely.

And to prove I'm serious, I offer a bet to ncbears that whichever of our respective teams loses this game, we put up the opponents team's avatar for the following two weeks.

Up for it?

UNCBears2010
August 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I didn't read this whole thread, and frankly I don't want to.

I just wanted to stop by and say there is NOT A CHANCE IN HELL that you are beating the Bobcats (The TEXAS STATE Bobcats) this year in Greely.

And to prove I'm serious, I offer a bet to ncbears that the when either of our respective teams loses this game, we put up the opponents team's avatar for the following two weeks.

Up for it?

Perhaps you should learn how to spell the name of our fine city first.;)

MaximumBobcat
August 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Puh-lease... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

The offer goes out to you too...avatar for avatar with ncbears...and ill add UNC is my favorite team in my sig for your avatar.

You in or what?

I Bleed Purple
August 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hell, I get your city mixed up with Grangely, so he's better off than I am.

SactoHornetFan
August 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM

Maybe you need to work on your spelling of Cheney, WA then.... xlolx

UNCBears2010
August 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Maybe you need to work on your spelling of Cheney, WA then.... xlolx

My bad. That was a legitimate screw up on my part, don't worry EWU fans, I know how to spell the name of your city.

cats2506
August 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
“People come to Greeley and say the town smells, but it really doesn’t. Well, maybe one day a week it does. It will only a last for a few hours at a time, though.” — Northern Colorado’s Joe Kenney at Big Sky Media Days

NorthernColorado
August 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM
“People come to Greeley and say the town smells, but it really doesn’t. Well, maybe one day a week it does. It will only a last for a few hours at a time, though.” — Northern Colorado’s Joe Kenney at Big Sky Media Days

As they say, it's the smell of money.

ncbears
August 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Back to Waggener.

I know a lot of people don't care much for FBS drop downs and to a certain extent, I don't like them much either. Let's just put his situation in perspective though. He redshirted last year because he got hurt a couple times and fell on the depth chart. He never played a game for the Gators. So...let's just treat him as a JC transer. He was a four star recruit coming out of Citrus College in Cali.

http://florida.scout.com/a.z?s=168&p=8&c=1&nid=2508214

JALMOND
August 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Until the wind changes direction. :D xsmiley_wix

catbob
August 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM
The Big Sky hasn't had much luck in the transfer (specifically drop downs) department lately. Guteirrez (spelling?) for ISU was average at best, Jimmy Barnes looked like a bad high school QB, Swogger was the best in recent memory and he wasn't all that either. Then that guy from NAU who was going to shred defenses, Norton was it? Rolovich for the Cats was average as well. Swogger and Rolovich are probably the two best in the last several years (again, I'm sure I'm missing somebody).

But there are three (that I can recall) so far this year who we will have to wait and see on:

Cody Kempt, MSU via Oregon
McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Sac via UCLA
Brian Waggener, UNC via Florida

Kempt just won the starting job, has Waggener been named the starter officially? Any Sac fans have any info on BT?

ncbears
August 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
The Big Sky hasn't had much luck in the transfer (specifically drop downs) department lately. Guteirrez (spelling?) for ISU was average at best, Jimmy Barnes looked like a bad high school QB, Swogger was the best in recent memory and he wasn't all that either. Then that guy from NAU who was going to shred defenses, Norton was it? Rolovich for the Cats was average as well. Swogger and Rolovich are probably the two best in the last several years (again, I'm sure I'm missing somebody).

But there are three (that I can recall) so far this year who we will have to wait and see on:

Cody Kempt, MSU via Oregon
McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Sac via UCLA
Brian Waggener, UNC via Florida

Kempt just won the starting job, has Waggener been named the starter officially? Any Sac fans have any info on BT?

Yes. B-Dub was named starter after spring camp came to a close. It's good news that way because we've balanced qb's the past few years and its nice to know your starter when opening weekend comes around.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM

....yah, I'm crying right now. xbawlingx xbawlingx The Bison are in the MV conference which from top-to-bottom is much better than the Big Sky...(topic for another thread:D )

Good luck to the Bears...you'll have some growing pains but the only way to go is up!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

OB55
August 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'll throw out a bone here to try and settle the UNC/MSU verbal war. xsmiley_wix

Well, at least neither team scheduled little RMAC opponent Chadron State for an early season "home win."

So....you both got that going for you this year.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

DaBears
August 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'll throw out a bone here to try and settle the UNC/MSU verbal war. xsmiley_wix

Well, at least neither team scheduled little RMAC opponent Chadron State for an early season "home win."

xlolxxlolxxlolx

That was a low blow

OB55
August 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

That was a low blow

http://www.eagleparbirdie.com/50226711/bill%20murray.jpg

CatFan22
November 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Bump.
LOL xwhistlex

catbob
November 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Harsh. But since UNC gave us so much crap (as did the rest of the conference) for our loss last year to the Bears, I don't feel too bad about it. :)

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I bet you were sitting on this thread. xlolx

Well played, boys, well played.

GOKATS
November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
The best way to shut someone up is to beat their ass.xnodx

Works every time.

mtgrizfan4life
November 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
The best way to shut someone up is to beat their ass.xnodx

Works every time.

With that being the case, MSU Cat fans should not be talking with the number of times the GRIZ have beat their ass! xthumbsupx

WyomingGrizFan
November 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Well, at least Northern Colorado doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of. They may have lost some close games so far this year: 35 - 38 to Texas St., 22 - 25 to NAU, 30 - 34 to UC Davis, and a close game to Weber St. 10 - 17 which shows some vastly improving aspects in their program. The game against MSU may have ended in a loss 20 - 7 but Northern Colorado had a go of it in the last couple minutes to drive to tie the score (with a PAT to win no less) but ended up with a badly thrown pass that shouldn't have been attempted in the first place; going for a defensive TD by interception. Actually, one can say that MSU didn't really win it in place of Northern Colorado losing it. Better luck next time.xsmhx xmadx xoopsx

cats2506
November 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Well, at least Northern Colorado doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of. They may have lost some close games so far this year: 35 - 38 to Texas St., 22 - 25 to NAU, 30 - 34 to UC Davis, and a close game to Weber St. 10 - 17 which shows some vastly improving aspects in their program. The game against MSU may have ended in a loss 20 - 7 but Northern Colorado had a go of it in the last couple minutes to drive to tie the score (with a PAT to win no less) but ended up with a badly thrown pass that shouldn't have been attempted in the first place; going for a defensive TD by interception. Actually, one can say that MSU didn't really win it in place of Northern Colorado losing it. Better luck next time.xsmhx xmadx xoopsx

Whoa, there boy, if remember correctly the only points that they scored at all were the result of "a badly thrown pass that shouldn't have been attempted in the first place"

works both waysxnodx

GOKATS
November 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Whoa, there boy, if remember correctly the only points that they scored at all were the result of "a badly thrown pass that shouldn't have been attempted in the first place"

works both waysxnodx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Another grizidiot shows his ignorance!!!!

The list continues to grow.....................................

WyomingGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I was much too busy watching the Griz game to but only take in the last couple minutes of the Northern Colorado game. Got to admit, though, it was a lot closer than many thought it would be.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Last I heard he is in fact the backup. Dude can throw the ball, but can't move, and his decision making is pretty poor, probably due to him believing he can make that pin point pass.

EDIT: Just looked at the roster. He's not on there.

Barnes is long gone. The backup is Brendon Doyle.

I Bleed Purple
November 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Barnes is long gone. The backup is Brendon Doyle.

Take a look at the time stamp of my post.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Take a look at the time stamp of my post.

Ooops! :o