PDA

View Full Version : NEC Football 08

Danes05
August 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
How does everyone see the season developing?

UAalum72
August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome to another Albany fan (just what some people won't want to see).

I think the coaches' poll got it right, I just want to see how the league does out of conference.

Anybody got a link to The Rules of AGS?

Dane96
August 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
HEHEHEHEHEE...good one Alum!

Welcome Danes05!

Danes05
August 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
HEHEHEHEHEE...good one Alum!

Welcome Danes05!

Thanks guys, it's nice to be aboard.

Seawolf97
August 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Albany - Killer month in September but an interesting game with Hofstra. If the Great Danes can keep their offense on the field with their power running game they have a real shot at a win. See them as the NEC Champion come November.

Monmouth - Sinisi is back and they should be solid. Another team with an interesting game Coastal Carolina at home. This is winnable for Monmouth and reminds a little of our game with Maine last year. Dont make mistakes with turnovers and penalities and they could have a win.

CCSU- Havent been the same since All World Hairston graduated but good nontheless. Will cause problems for the above two guaranteed.

RMU - Wins against the lower tier teams might upset one of the Big 3.
Duquesne- Another team with upset potential who will hold their own.
Wagner-SHU-St Francis - really need to pick up the pace. Wagner wins this 3 way race.
Bryant - Interesting team and one to be watched. Honestly see them moving up quickly to one of the top spots in the NEC. They played us tough last year and put a scare in the crowd early. Dont turn you backs on the Bulldogs!
Good Luck to everyone in 2008!xthumbsupx

downbythebeach
August 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
It does appear that SHU is really sliding as of late

Not really sure why????????

aceinthehole
August 22nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
It does appear that SHU is really sliding as of late

Not really sure why????????

20 Scholarships + injuries = no depth

SHU has a good coach, and a few really good players, but the just don't compare with the depth at Albany, Monmouth and Central.

IMO - that was was killing Wagner. Seems they've made the commitment to strenghthen their program by offer the NEC max schollys. Hamline is a great coach and with the new depth, I think the Seahawks will be the best of the rest in thge NEC.

I also think its the same problem at St. Francis. You guys have had some great players, but not enough of them. Seems Opar is building slowly, but based on what he started with, its pretty impressive.

This is basically what UA, Monmouth, and Central face when they go against the Delawares, Lehighs, and NDSUs of the world. We should be fine for a half, but their speed and player depth at 63 schollys really hurts us.

----
S97 - I like your quick summary, but RMU is rebuilding with a lot of young players. Walton said it himself. Wagner should beat the SHU, SFPA, and RMU, but will likely lose to UA, CCSU, and Monmouth. Their big test is against the Dukes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Don't know much about the NEC except that CCU is coming to play the Bison on Sept 6. I think the game is going to be a total mis-match....Bison will be too big, strong, physical for CCU. Their coach is an ex-Bison assistant, probably why the game was scheduled.

Fill me in on your conference...curious about your teams:)

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
20 Scholarships + injuries = no depth

Sounds familiar... xlolx

UAalum72
August 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Don't know much about the NEC except that CCU is coming to play the Bison on Sept 6. I think the game is going to be a total mis-match....Bison will be too big, strong, physical for CCU. Their coach is an ex-Bison assistant, probably why the game was scheduled.

Fill me in on your conference...curious about your teams:)
For starters, you're playing CCSU, mentioning CCU around here will have people thinking you're playing Coastal Carolina.

CCSU did rush for 267 yards vs. Western Michigan last year, the game would have been closer than 51-14 if they hadn't fumbled 7 times, losing 4.

Of the eight NEC teams Robert Morris (Pittsburgh), Monmouth (NJ) and Sacred Heart (Fairfield CT) only started football in the mid-1990s, Duquesne (Pittsburgh) has just joined moving from the dissolved non-scholarship MAAC, CCSU football was D-II and St. Francis (western PA) and Wagner (Staten Island, NY City) were D-III before the NCAA rule change in 1993, Albany moved its program to D-I in 1999. So except for Wagner (D-III national champ in 1989) they haven't got a lot of football tradition. D-II Bryant College (Rhode Island) is transitioning to D-I and will be a member in 2012.

The NEC began sponsoring non-scholarship football in 1996, started allowing need-based athletic aid about 2001 and a limited number of athletic scholarships (30) around 2006. Except for Albany and CCSU they are all small private colleges.

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Just to add a point about who the NEC is.

The NEC is very much defined by its recent "shakeup" wins over traditional FCS powers. Albany over Delaware, Central over Georgia Southern, etc..

With that being said, the NEC is a league climbing out the of the FCS basement despite the constant administrative attempt to kick it back down. The addition of 2 scholarhips a year until they get to 40 is progress in the right direction, but entirely too slow IMO.

This year could be an interesting one. The big difference in the NEC seems to be the goals. As much as winning the NEC is great and gets you a ring, the main goal for the big three (Albany, Central, Monmouth) seems to be to make the playoffs. On the other hand, the main goal for everyone else is to be competitive in the conference. And before you jump down my throat, it is of course important to win the conference because without it you have no shot at the playoffs. But for some its just a step on the way and not the final destination.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Is 40 schollies going to be the limit for the conference....if that is the case, I don't believe the NEC will ever be a "good" conference in the FCS. Only 4 above DIIxoopsx

Looking forward to seeing CCSU ( got it right xthumbsupx ) on 9/6....nice to see some teams from the east...played Northeastern a few yrs back.

I still think this game will be a total blow-out,but u never know.

Albany fans: Didn't u play Montana a few yrs ago???

downbythebeach
August 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I still think this game will be a total blow-out,but u never know.

If you get the chance make sure the players know how much of a cake-walk CCSU is going to be........they should probably go out drinking the night beforexlolx

redflash2
August 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
you'll better watch out for st. francis im telling u ive been hearing things... xnodx

UAalum72
August 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Is 40 schollies going to be the limit for the conference....if that is the case, I don't believe the NEC will ever be a "good" conference in the FCS.
Albany fans: Didn't u play Montana a few yrs ago???

40 is the latest limit, but by the time teams reach it I'd bet the league bumps it up again, or else the top teams might start leaving - if they can find another league to go to.

Albany lost to Montana 45-7 in 2002 and 35-14 in 2007 (14-7 at the half)

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM
If you get the chance make sure the players know how much of a cake-walk CCSU is going to be........they should probably go out drinking the night beforexlolx

Looks like our O-line will outweigh their D-line by 40-50 lbs...call me crazy but that might be an advantagexwhistlex xwhistlex

If CCSU wins, I'll come here and say CCSU was the better team!!xsmiley_wix

Good luck to the NEC this yr.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

danefan
August 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Looks like our O-line will outweigh their D-line by 40-50 lbs...call me crazy but that might be an advantagexwhistlex xwhistlex

If CCSU wins, I'll come here and say CCSU was the better team!!xsmiley_wix

Good luck to the NEC this yr.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

That's pretty common. NFL o-line's outweigh d-lines by 40-50 lbs. O-line size is nothing without agility and coordination.

Should be a good game. I don't expect anything but CCSU to make it competitive. xthumbsupx Anything beyond that is a bonus.

UAalum72
August 26th, 2008, 09:50 PM
It also appears the CCSU O-line outweighs the Bison D-line by 24 lbs/man

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I think the Bison win this game by at least 4 tds.

I have never seen a NEC team play but when the league is barely at the DII level for schollies.....Bison in a walk.

I'll probably get some "crap" from the NEC fans, but.......my 2$

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
It also appears the CCSU O-line outweighs the Bison D-line by 24 lbs/man

Fairbairn 298
Gratzek 280
Tau 300
Compton 260

CCSU's o-line must be huge!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

BobbyMo
August 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
GO DEVILS... I hope they can keep it competitive.

UAalum72
August 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Fairbairn 298
Gratzek 280
Tau 300
Compton 260

CCSU's o-line must be huge!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I was going by the NDSU Media Guide, page 24:
Lardinois 262
Gratzek 236
Fairbairn 293
Compton 254

CCSU O-line averages 285

downbythebeach
August 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure how this game is going to go
I expect.....whatever they are....UND....SDSU.......NDU.....NDSU......the green and yellow bison team will win

But I really dont know too much about either team to have an opinion

thats prob the fault of the east coast bias:)

downbythebeach
August 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I'm throwing it out there right now SFU is going to beat Duquesne

theyre bad..........thats a team that has fallen pretty far the last couple of years

Larryl9797
August 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
There you go UA72! throw out some stats for CCSU! Thats why you guys are the best! Lets hear it for a three dog race in the NEC.xthumbsupx

I agree with the coaches picks... CCSU wins 7 games this year and Albany is the clear favorite.

hebmskebm
August 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I know it was just a scrimmage, but Duquesne got the crap kicked out of them last night by D2 IUP. I know IUP is a good program, but I've had a feeling that Duquesne was highly overrated going into the season all along.

Dane96
August 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
That is really shocking. IUP is good...but not that good.

danefan
August 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
That sucks. the NEC needs Duquense to be good. They need to pull their weight OOC and beat Bucknell.

Seawolf97
August 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Good Luck to the Devils of CT ! Tough opponent for an opener but hang in therexthumbsupx

hebmskebm
August 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Good Luck to the Devils of CT ! Tough opponent for an opener but hang in therexthumbsupx

Its not thier opening game; CCSU is playing Bryant tomorrow, but like you said they're gonna need all the luck they can get next week.

Seawolf97
August 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Its not thier opening game; CCSU is playing Bryant tomorrow, but like you said they're gonna need all the luck they can get next week.

Bad week - Mental Slippagexlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Next week they come to play the Bison.

NEC fans....what's your pred for the game???

Bison beat Austin Peay last nite 41-6...2nd & 3rd teams got to play a lot.

CCSU better bring their A-game or this could get ugly:D

CCSU good luck against Bryant xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Bulldog Fan
August 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I hope CCSU is looking past Bryant to next weeks game. Bryant may suprise a few teams this year!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I hope CCSU is looking past Bryant to next weeks game. Bryant may suprise a few teams this year!

Bulldog Fan: Give me some info on your team!! Were u DII not too long ago??

Bulldog Fan
August 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes - D2 last year. We won the NE10 conference the past two years. The NE10 is a non-scholarship conference but overall pretty good football. Bryant is definitely taking a giant leap this year to the next level but the team has a solid coaching staff led by HC Marty Fine. It may take a few years to recruit to the D1 level but they should be very competitive this year. We will have a very solid defense but are a little suspect on offense. Tomorrows game against CCSU will be a pretty good test to see if we if we can compete at this level.

dgreco
August 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yes - D2 last year. We won the NE10 conference the past two years. The NE10 is a non-scholarship conference but overall pretty good football. Bryant is definitely taking a giant leap this year to the next level but the team has a solid coaching staff led by HC Marty Fine. It may take a few years to recruit to the D1 level but they should be very competitive this year. We will have a very solid defense but are a little suspect on offense. Tomorrows game against CCSU will be a pretty good test to see if we if we can compete at this level.

The only thing holding this team together is the defense (the CB's, and LB's and are great) small in size but pretty good. But the RB's will save us of offense. I have seen Garber play a lot and he is good, but he doesn't have the command as Charlie did. I think we will see a lot of running out of the program. This would be a good year to have Lorenzo Perry back! :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM

If your admin gets the schollies up to the limit of 63 in a short time...your success will come a lot quicker. NDSU was DII until 5 yrs ago but boosted schollies to 63 in their 2nd yr at IAA.

Good luck this yrxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Thundar
August 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
If your admin gets the schollies up to the limit of 63 in a short time...your success will come a lot quicker. NDSU was DII until 5 yrs ago but boosted schollies to 63 in their 2nd yr at IAA.

Good luck this yrxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I believe they are joining the NEC after their transition 2011-2012, so I would say they could only go to 40, the league limit, correct me if i'm wrong Bryant fansxcoolx

dgreco
August 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I believe they are joining the NEC after their transition 2011-2012, so I would say they could only go to 40, the league limit, correct me if i'm wrong Bryant fansxcoolx

40 is the number. I am sure Bryant will be there as soon as they can, but they are also playing the game. All the press info says they care about graduating players, and getting good scholars to the school. Coach Fine even said if they have 10 scholarships by 10 years it will be a lot. I am sure it is all part of the "Bryant we let you know nothing motto", but I think they will be a serious contender.

Bryant has taken one of the most progressive steps into Division I ever and they look to make their footprint.

danefan
August 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Pretty decent start to the NEC season. Monmouth a FG short of URI. 27-24.

Sounded like a good game, with Monmouth missing the on-sides kick at the end of the game.

dgreco
August 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Bryant vs. CCSU on tv in about 20 minutes... I can't watch it because I am in Florida, but they have an online feed.

Seawolf97
August 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Bryant vs. CCSU on tv in about 20 minutes... I can't watch it because I am in Florida, but they have an online feed.

Congratulations on a good start. You have gotten better since 2007!xnodx

dgreco
August 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Congratulations on a good start. You have gotten better since 2007!xnodx

we blew the game two or three times. If they continue to play like they did today I think they will have a really good season. Thanks for the props.

danefan
August 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
All in all, I think the NEC had a pretty good day.

Although, and no offense to Bryant, Central should have worked Bryant.

At this point a close game with a transitional DI team is bad for the NEC even if that team is a future NEC team.

I'm happy about Albany's performance, even though word from the UA guys at the game was that we could have, and actually should have, won that game. I'm happy with Monmouth's game. SH didn't lose to a DIII, which is good.

Good enough I guess.

dgreco
August 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
All in all, I think the NEC had a pretty good day.

Although, and no offense to Bryant, Central should have worked Bryant.

At this point a close game with a transitional DI team is bad for the NEC even if that team is a future NEC team.

I'm happy about Albany's performance, even though word from the UA guys at the game was that we could have, and actually should have, won that game. I'm happy with Monmouth's game. SH didn't lose to a DIII, which is good.

Good enough I guess.
CCSU has a problem - they have no passing game. After the first quarter and the mistake in the forth they were predictable and beatable, Bryant still with DII - non schollie kids held their own. CCSU is going to have a tough time vs. NDSU next week.

Dane96
August 31st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Greco-

CCSU, Monmouth (well most years), and Albany have had that same problem for years: However, all three have done really well with a running game. Remember, CCSU, Monmouth, and Albany all racked up big-time up-wins with very little passing.

In fact, if Albany had ANY passing game today better than an average DIII team...they would have beaten UMASS...just my personal opinion.

Running the football well...will still get you wins.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 31st, 2008, 06:56 AM
If CCSU can run the ball against the Bison.....they might make it comp.

I don't think so though....Bison front 7 are tough and quick. CCSU will probably rush in the 60-70 yd range. Passing game must be there for them.

No smack here....I just don't believe CCSU is even close to the Bison. Our 2nd and 3rd teams should get a lot of playing time.

Looking forward to the game...see some different comp

CCSU: good luckxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

dgreco
August 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Greco-

CCSU, Monmouth (well most years), and Albany have had that same problem for years: However, all three have done really well with a running game. Remember, CCSU, Monmouth, and Albany all racked up big-time up-wins with very little passing.

In fact, if Albany had ANY passing game today better than an average DIII team...they would have beaten UMASS...just my personal opinion.

Running the football well...will still get you wins.

In the game it was non-existent as far as being a threat. They got yards, but on dump and runs and a few missed plays. Most of the game you knew if they had more than 7 yards on third down they weren't going to get it... and they didn't about 85% of the time.

One example they had a 6'2 receiver on our backup 5'7 DB (starter is playing safety until the safety is better) and he had 0 completions to the kid. A few lofters to the endzone. For 8 inches taller some of those have to be caught.

We will see MU in a few weeks (game I am coming home to see), but I think teams like Albany and Monmouth might have better passing games than you are giving credit.

I know CCSU torn up the ground last year vs. CM, and did decent against Bryant, but idk I wasn't overly impressed with CCSU--They were 10 times better than Bryant on special teams and thats about it really.

dgreco
August 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
looked up the stat, before the broken play that won the game for CCSU Norris was 6-12 with 43 yards passing in the whole game....

if Bryant a middle of the range D2 defense can hold that for CCSU then NDSU then it should be a bad game, unless Bryant has some ridiculously good DB's this year

JMG1MON
August 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM
CCSU didn't have a great passing game last season and it sounds like it hasn't gotten much better. As for Monmouth, did they run no huddle like they had been doing at the end of last season?? Or did they go back to huddling every single play?

Bulldog Fan
September 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
CCSU didn't have much of a passing game. They did have a couple of passes dropped early which would have extended their lead and they did have the 70 yard TD reception late in the game.
Bryant started out the game slow like they always do and got behind 21-3. Bryant picked up some momentum before the half with the 46 yd field goal to make the game 21-13. The two blocked Bryant punts for touchdowns and the two long TD's, 94 yd run and 70 yd pass, in the 4th qtr sealed Bryant's fate. Bryant's defense gave up too much on the ground, 300+ yds, but CCSU ran the ball 52 times vs 18 passing attempts.
Bryant proved they can play in the the NEC. They did scare the CCSU fans when they took the lead in the 4th qtr.

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
First, congrats to Bryant for a great game. They will be a "Fine" addition to the NEC and will only get better.

CCSU won this game because it had better players (speed, size, experience) this year. That's not a knock on Bryant - they are still essentially a very good D-II team. Like our games with Southern Conn. (another very good D-II team), I knew this would be close.

We have a very good RB in Mallory and our defense did well, when not pinned back becasue of poor filed position. We still have enough talent to be the #3 team in the NEC, but if we don't get a better offensive game going we have very little chance for wins at Albany or Monmouth (so lets' not even talk about NDSU).

Our offense is RUN ONLY - when we should be RUN FIRST. We either need to improve the option pass or we need to get some play-action passes mixed in too. We are in trouble on offense right now.

We should get better, and based on this week we can still probably finish 7-4 (losses to NDSU, DSU, UA, and Mon). We had young players and some first game jitters, so we will certainly improve over the course of the season. We can also win any of those games I mentioned earlier if we can get an offense going, but I won't hold my breath for this season.

---
BTW - great games for Albany and Monmouth. Very good losses, although Monmouth could have pulled that one off. CCSU did take care of business, and Bryant showed it will do well in the NEC. Plus, SHU didn't lose to a D-II.

All around it was a good week for the NEC. I'd give the league a "B" for week 1. xthumbsupx