PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State at Northern Iowa

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Big game at the UNIDOME. Last year UNI escaped on a last second field goal in Youngstown after their initial try was missed but a penalty was called letting them try again at a shorter distance and they made it. So the Penguins will be looking for revenge.

The Penguins have won 4 in a row and 7 of 8 to begin the year. With a win on Saturday they will be playoff eligible and go into SIU with more momentum.

UNI Was blown out by the red hot ISU Redbirds who the Penguins beat 20-17. They have lost 2 in a row and another loss ends any hope for a playoff spot.

This game is at the Dome where the Penguins haven't won in 6 years.

I say the momentum the Penguins have and if the UNI QB Is indeed still out the Penguins go into the UNIDOME and win.

YSU 31
UNI 21

igo4uni
October 23rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
The way UNI is playing, I say YSU beats us by more than 10 :(

peace

igo4uni

Paladin1aa
October 23rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
I think UNI is in trouble, even if Sanders is back.

YSU is arguably the best D team in the GFC.

Redbird Fan 21
October 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
I really hope that UNI wins, but I do not see it happening. After seeing both teams in person vs. ISU, YSU is much better. However, I think we would have beat YSU at home, and may have lost to UNI on the road. I hear the Dome is tough to play in but I have never been there.

Go Panthers in this one!!

YSU 28
UNI 17

igo4uni
October 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
The UNI-Dome is indeed a tough place for opposing teams to play. However, if the home team isn't fielding a quality team, the Dome doesn't mean squat. I believe that UNI has been over-rated this season. Our defense has been bad, and our vaunted offense was held to a field goal by a good Illinois State team.

I think YSU beats us at home. :(

peace

igo4uni

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
Well I will take that perspective from you all.
I hope YSU Does Win.

JW.. Do I still sound crazy from preseason and a few weeks back saying this team would start 7-1 and finish 8-3? Possibly 9-2 looking at SIU now. We are very evenly matched and we can compete with them.

crunifan
October 23rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
I actually think UNI will win this. For some reason, it is just hard for opposing teams to do well in the Dome. I think it will be extremely close, but I think UNI should slide on by and win a close one. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Paladin1aa
October 23rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Dome "loses" its magic this year for the YSU game. We are making very few audibles . Noise will have little effect, unlike years in which plays were called at the line or changed.

Dome will actually help our kick game , which is very good.

And we will appreciate the good, dry ,solid fast turf for our I-A RBs !! :D

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I think YSU will win this one, even though strange things happen in the Dome. The end of the season in the Gateway should be interesting with YSU, WKU and SIU playing a virtual round robin down the stretch.

PantherMan
October 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
If Sanders comes back, UNI wins a close one. No Sanders, and we'll need A LOT of Dome magic to pull this one out of our hat...

My heart says: UNI 24 - YSU 21

My head says: UNI 10 - YSU 31 :bang:

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
With our luck, I would almost bet that Sanders makes it back just in time for the Saluki game.
:eek:

GoGuins
October 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM
This game worries me. YSU doesn't play well in the dome and UNI is a dangerous team. I hope the YSU team doesn't fly in there on gameday like they have in the past. YSU will need a solid all around effort to win. These last few weeks in the GFC will be interesting.

If YSU wins this game, I will be really getting excited about this teams chances. I disagree Fly, YSU needs to win 9 games to be assured a playoff spot. 8-3 will be hard to get in with wins against 7 I-AA teams. We can't leave it in the committees hands like previous years. But on the otherhand looking around the I-AA conferences there are a lot of teams with 3 & 4 losses already. YSU controls their own destiny, win 2 of 3 and they will get in. Win 1 of 3 and I think they get left out

I remember I made a bold prediction back in '99 and said before the YSU-UNI game @ the dome that if YSU won that game, they would go all the way to the I-AA championship game which they did in both cases.

Eaglegus2
October 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM
This game worries me. YSU doesn't play well in the dome and UNI is a dangerous team. I hope the YSU team doesn't fly in there on gameday like they have in the past. YSU will need a solid all around effort to win. These last few weeks in the GFC will be interesting.

If YSU wins this game, I will be really getting excited about this teams chances. I disagree Fly, YSU needs to win 9 games to be assured a playoff spot. 8-3 will be hard to get in with wins against 7 I-AA teams. We can't leave it in the committees hands like previous years. But on the otherhand looking around the I-AA conferences there are a lot of teams with 3 & 4 losses already. YSU controls their own destiny, win 2 of 3 and they will get in. Win 1 of 3 and I think they get left out

I remember I made a bold prediction back in '99 and said before the YSU-UNI game @ the dome that if YSU won that game, they would go all the way to the I-AA championship game which they did in both cases.

And I remember that Championship game very well. ;) :D :D

GoGuins
October 24th, 2005, 09:00 AM
And I remember that Championship game very well. ;) :D :D

How'd I know a GSU fan would chime in to remind me :rolleyes:

ysubigred
October 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
YSU travels Friday to arrive in Iowa @ 2 PM . No excuses there. YSU needs an "A" game to have a chance in the dome.

galojay
October 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
YSU is red hot, UNI is ice cold. Sanders or not, I think the wind is out of their sail. YSU wins.

GoGuins
October 24th, 2005, 12:45 PM
YSU travels Friday to arrive in Iowa @ 2 PM . No excuses there. YSU needs an "A" game to have a chance in the dome.

That is good to hear Red, YSU never does well when they travel day of game. The game is on live TV here in Ytown, I think it's the GFC game of the week

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Ready with a prediction --

YSU 27..... UNI 17

This game should move us were we really belong -- Top 5 :nod: :nod:

FlyYtown
October 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
A lot of you GFC "Experts" say YSU Will win which I think and many by a lotta of points.

Even last year this game at Youngstown; when UNI Was really good; YSU lost a game on the refs last second flag; I think revenge is in store but it will be closer than you all think. UNI Is always good in the dome vs. us.. No differance here..If their qb is out we should win though; but if he is playing; I hate out chr chances.

Anyways I think the next 3 are all winnable if we convert in the redzone; something we have aren't that good at with missed FG'S and Fumbles. This team has the defense and offense to win out if they play like Saturday and vs. Indiana State.

GoGuins
October 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
How's Marcus Mason's health? JH said he's about 75-80% and he's taking a beating every week. Maybe see more of Mo Gibson Sat. One thing I like about Mason besides his toughness and elusiveness is he always falls forward for that extra yard/yard and a half when he's tackled. He reminds me a lot of Mike Hart of Michigan, about the same size too.

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Mason had 32 carries last week for 203 yds . Don't let the comments about his "health" throw you. He is as healthy as a horse.

But expect to see Gibson too. They are both healthy & I expect YSU to ram the ball down their throats.

TheGateway
October 24th, 2005, 04:21 PM
YSU will win this game pretty easily, I think they are the best team in the conference this year.

LBPop
October 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Mason had 32 carries last week for 203 yds . Don't let the comments about his "health" throw you. He is as healthy as a horse.

I had the opportunity to watch Mason play in high school. He was an amazing talent from his sophomore year on. As everyone knows, he came to YSU under some difficult circumstances. Is there any word about Marcus the young man vs. Marcus the player? Everyone in the DC metro area would love to see him succeed as both.

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
The word is Marcus has found a home , is comfortable here and gets along well. Getting a degree will frost the cake.

So far , he has been soft spoken, well behaved and his play on the field speaks volumes. Appears to be a good kid.

YSU has a strong, disciplined program that the players love. Thats one of the reasons so many I-A transfers come here. Great program for the players, on field success and a degree.

FlyYtown
October 24th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Here are Saturday's Highlights from 27 WKBN and FOX17/62.

http://www.wkbn.com/news/sports/1911162.html?skipthumb=Y

crunifan
October 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM
All I know is that in the past 20 years, UNI has won 11 Gateway titles and had only one losing season. That tells me that this team is to never be counted out. I know Youngstown State is good, but that doesn't mean you can count the Panthers out, especially in their Dome. I am looking for a close game and an upset.

Pantherpower
October 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM
UNI will be tough in the Dome. A little history lesson here...UNI got spanked by the Redbirds a few years ago in Normal and finished the regular season 9-2 going on to the Semi-finals. UNI always struggles in Normal.

We're a completely different team at home. UNI's back is against the wall and they will come out absolutely gangbusters against the Penguins. I think this will be a statement game for the Panthers testing their pride after an embarrassing and humbling loss at ISU last Saturday. We'll see...

GoGuins
October 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
UNI will be tough in the Dome. A little history lesson here...UNI got spanked by the Redbirds a few years ago in Normal and finished the regular season 9-2 going on to the Semi-finals. UNI always struggles in Normal.

We're a completely different team at home. UNI's back is against the wall and they will come out absolutely gangbusters against the Penguins. I think this will be a statement game for the Panthers testing their pride after an embarrassing and humbling loss at ISU last Saturday. We'll see...

As I said before this game worries me, YSU does not play well in the dome or against UNI period. Is it still astroturf in there or did UNI upgrade to the Field/SprinTurf? UNI looks to have a good run D, as does YSU, so both teams might have to air it out some. I look for YSU to try and play smashmouth first then mix in the pass. Look for a good dose of Mason and Gibson and Gliatta will see time at QB.

Reed Rothchild
October 26th, 2005, 10:20 AM
As Is it still astroturf in there or did UNI upgrade to the Field/SprinTurf?

It is still carpet over cement. Field turn will never happen.

Reed Rothchild
October 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Funny UNI is in the spoiler role now. I think Panthers are due for an upset.

shakdaddy3
October 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I don't like to cheer against teams unless I really hate them.. I think UNI has a legitimate shot at winning this game, but I gotta say that YSU is a damn tough team. They definetly have one of the best defenses in the conference and possible the nation (as does ILSU), so they could stop UNI on 'O' just like the Redbirds did. I think if Sanders plays the game will be a real barnburner...

If Sanders plays: YSU-24 UNI-21
If Sanders doesn't play: YSU-34 UNI-17

OSUPenguin
October 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
YSU 28
UNI 21

Go Penguins!!

skinny_uncle
October 26th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Mathematically, UNI has still got a shot at a playoff berth. They would have to win all their remaining games to do it. That makes this a must-win for them. With their backs against the wall, they could be dangerous at home. Without Sanders, though, I don't see them getting it done. I think YSU wins this one. If Sanders shows up, ignore what I just said.
:D

Paladin1aa
October 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I'd actually like to see Sanders play this year.

YSU breaks the mold of GFC teams having terrible pass D teams. This years addition is similar to the Guins team that beat "Air McNair " in the play-offs several years ago 63-20.

A passing team actually plays to our strenght.

YSU-- anyway you want to cut it.

Pantherpower
October 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
A couple of things, if UNI doesn't abandon the ground game, we should be alright. I think we have a dang talented O-line, but I don't care how talented the O-line is, if you abandon the run and go one dimensional, the defense is going to pin the ears back and tee off on the qb as Illinois State did last week. I've already said it enough on here and Panthernation that we didn't give the running game a chance to get going so I'm :deadhorse Who knows? Maybe YSU will roll us too, but that would really be out of character for a Panther team to get their butts handed to them in the Dome.

Reed, as a former O-lineman, what's your take on our line? Be interesting to see what Cap'n would have to said about this as well. I guess I'm partial to the ground game and think we have the personnel to get it done, but I'll idle and let other Panther fans or fans of other teams who have seen our O-line chime in.

Reed Rothchild
October 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Reed, as a former O-lineman, what's your take on our line? Be interesting to see what Cap'n would have to said about this as well. I guess I'm partial to the ground game and think we have the personnel to get it done, but I'll idle and let other Panther fans or fans of other teams who have seen our O-line chime in.

Our line is fine. I think the play of Illinois St's Dline was more the reason for abandoning the ground game. They will probably be the best dline we face all year. Coaches probably planned for this. They might have seen on film the abilities of Illinois State and thought that we could only move the ball through the air. It also dosen't help that our defense could not stop their offense. I think that was the biggest factor.

FlyYtown
October 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
You may want to run but our defense has stuffed it and will stuff it Saturday; we aren't the best in the conference at it for nothing!

Good Luck

shakdaddy3
October 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
You may want to run but our defense has stuffed it and will stuff it Saturday; we aren't the best in the conference at it for nothing!

Good Luck

RUSHING DEFENSE G Rushes Yards Avg. TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Western Kentucky.... 7 233 652 2.8 7 93.1
2. Southern Illinois... 7 231 752 3.3 7 107.4
3. Youngstown State... 8 276 881 3.2 7 110.1
4. Illinois State...... 8 309 958 3.1 9 119.8
5. UNI................. 7 255 863 3.4 7 123.3
6. Western Illinois.... 8 331 1427 4.3 19 178.4
7. Missouri State...... 7 278 1445 5.2 18 206.4
8. Indiana State....... 8 359 2118 5.9 24 264.8

Actually, you aren't the "best" at it... check the stats from above and you'll realize that.. also, remember that teams have racked up over 200 yards rushing on YSU's D such as ILSU did that week. What YSU is the "best" at is getting turnovers which helps them a lot especially in times of need WHICH has happened a few times this season.

Paladin1aa
October 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I think what Fly meant is about the Red Zone D. WE lead the GFC in that stat. No one runs or throws well on us in the red zone. Hence they score little, running or throwing.

ysubigred
October 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if it matters but YSU played 8 games to the top WKU and SIU's 7 :confused:

UNI MadCat
October 28th, 2005, 08:23 AM
One thing I like about Mason besides his toughness and elusiveness is he always falls forward for that extra yard/yard and a half when he's tackled. He reminds me a lot of Mike Hart of Michigan, about the same size too.

One thing I like is how he's always turned down bribes from boosters. Oh wait.... :D :D :D

I can't believe no one is talking about this.

I'm hoping the guilt Mason feels for what happened at Illinois yesterday becomes a distraction for him this weekend, though I somehow doubt it in reading the Illinois papers describe his character.

Funny sidebar -- apparently Ron Turner told Lawerence Maroney he couldn't offer him much PT b/c he already had a stud in Mason. Whoops.

GoGuins
October 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM
One thing I like is how he's always turned down bribes from boosters. Oh wait.... :D :D :D

I'm hoping the guilt Mason feels for what happened at Illinois yesterday becomes a distraction for him this weekend, though I somehow doubt it in reading the Illinois papers describe his character.

Funny sidebar -- apparently Ron Turner told Lawerence Maroney he couldn't offer him much PT b/c he already had a stud in Mason. Whoops.

Not following you, what happened? All I know about Mason is he did come to YSU with baggage. He seems ro have his head on straight now. What happened at Illinois yesterday?

igo4uni
October 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Funny UNI is in the spoiler role now. I think Panthers are due for an upset.

Yes, indeed, Reed, yes, indeed!
(hey, that rhymes!)

peace

igo4uni

GoGuins
October 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM

OK I found this and the article said the Illinois athlete that accepted the payments is no longer with the university. Where did you read it was Mason? It also said the player paid back all the money.

ESPN article on Illinois probation (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2205607)

ysubigred
October 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Got to love it: When YSU is losing there is no press good or bad. When we're winning only the bad is talked about from the football envy opposition :D

Have a nice day :asswhip:

nmatsen
October 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Good Luck

Have you ever thought the rushing defense stats might be fudged a little bit, if you notice the three WORST rushing D's stats are teams that Northern Iowa has played already, the three BEST rushing D's stats are teams that have not played Northern Iowa, coincedence? I think not! After your trip to the UNI dome your yards per carry stats are going to increase a bit. Count on it! ;)

FlyYtown
October 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Wait to you see Mason-Cayson-Gibson Saturday... Loaded at that spot; if our line can do what they have all year; the offense for the penguins will fly HIGH!

crunifan
October 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Any Youngstown State fans planning on making the long journey to Cedar Falls tomorrow?

UNI MadCat
October 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry... I was just poking fun for fun's sake.

All signs point to Mason if you are to believe the Illinois diehards. I'm a big Wisconsin fan too and its a topic of discussion on their boards this week as they are prepping for Illinois. The knowledgables from Illinois chiming in have repeatedly said it was Mason.

He may have given the money back after the fact but he did some pretty shady stuff prior to -- accepting money for no work, driving around in a booster's car and then lying, saying his parents bought it, etc. Lets just say, I think Illinois was very glad to get rid of him.

But hey, I'm all about giving second chances. I was very much in support of Hakeem Hill getting a 2nd (or was it 8th?) chance to do something when he transfered to UNI, but that didnt work out. For now, it appears a positive change for MM at YSU.

Cap'n Cat
October 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
God, you guys are out of your frickin' minds!

SMFH.............

Take this to the bank, boys:

UNI 40
YSU 11

End of conversation.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

--EDITED FOR SMACK--

FlyYtown
October 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM
How bout No.

igo4uni
October 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
--EDITED FOR SMACK--

Uh oh, a strike for the Cap'n.

peace

igo4uni

Cap'n Cat
October 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM
God, you guys are out of your frickin' minds!

SMFH.............

Take this to the bank, boys:

UNI 40
YSU 11

End of conversation.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

--EDITED FOR SMACK--

Sorry, Ralph. Just got disappointed in my Panther brothers bowing down to those ******* from Youngstown like a bunch of lame *****.

Love,

Cap'n Cat

01pantherfan
October 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I think the game will be close for sure but the Panthers will have a few suprises for YSU !

For YSU they better hope their D is all that because I think your gonna see some points put up by the Cats !

Panthers will win this one, its not the first time a good YSU team has came in the dome and walked out with a loss !!

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I'm very excited!!!!!!!

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I like our chances. We will put a police officer in close proximity to Mason should he get out of hand :D

01pantherfan
October 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Well we will all see in less then 3 hours !!

I am gonna say

UNI 31

YSU 21

FlyYtown
October 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
UNI fans you predicted scores like these last week and you were pounded; don't be surprised to see it again.

A loss and you are done...

Penguins will be ready and be ready for both our qb's..The one passes well; the other throws well.. We have last years TB back in Cayson and he should compliment Mason and Gibson well.

YSU Is tougher than you all are predicting..

GO PENGUINS..
Big SURPISE For GFC Tonight.... Roll Red Roll (STEUBENVILLE LOVE)

ISUMatt
October 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
OK I found this and the article said the Illinois athlete that accepted the payments is no longer with the university. Where did you read it was Mason? It also said the player paid back all the money.

ESPN article on Illinois probation (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2205607)

It was Mason, no denying that...stupid Illinois, they get 1 yr probation and didnt even get the player

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Alright....I think I've got it.....

Jackson's across the Street from Coor's Field in Denver is going to be playing the game!!!!

Alright I'm off.....

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM
UNI fans you predicted scores like these last week and you were pounded; don't be surprised to see it again.

From what I recall, many of us were concerned with the Illinois State game. Even Cap'n Cat predicted a loss.

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Kickoff

Sanders is starting at QB for the Panthers

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
UNI's Sanders throws a pick after a solid drive by UNI. YSU ball on their 25

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM
YSU drive stalls and they punt to UNI. UNI ball on their own 7

Game is scoreless

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM
SACK!! Almost a safety, but not quite. UNI punts badly and YSU takes over on the UNI 40

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
TOUCHDOWN PANTHERS!!!!

David Horne with the 1 yd plunge

UNI 7
YSU 0

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Zetts passes to tight end for the YSU score. This is going to be a great game

UNI 7
YSU 7

8:52 left in the 2nd qtr

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:06 PM
YSU strips the ball from Sanders as he throws and picks it off. 1st down YSU at UNI 45. Tied at 7-7

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM
YSU can't capitalize. Still tied. Freeney is out of the game.

Horne just ripped off a long run with 4:20 left

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Horne runs it in from 20 yards out

UNI 14
YSU 7

The #1 rushing d in the gateway isn't looking like it today.

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:23 PM
UNI LB Koebcke intercepts a pass! UNI has it at their 48 with 51 seconds left in the half

14-7 UNI

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Sanders throws one up at the end of the half and its picked

UNI 14
YSU 7

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing UNI pull this one out. The Gateway would be wide open!

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I hope UNI can hang on and pick up a big win.

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm watching on tv instead of being in the fabulous UNI-Dome. My wife insisted I stay home and help prepare for a Halloween party. :(

Go Panthers!!

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
2nd half underway.

peace

igo4uni

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM
A bit odd that Zetts (YSU QB) wears #24

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM
A bit odd that Zetts (YSU QB) wears #24

He got clobbered and is out for now.

Gliatti playing qb for ysu.

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM
uni gets pick.

peace

igo4uni

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
UNI's Parsons picks of a tipped ball from Scliata. I'm hoping the Panthers can take advantage

14-7 UNI with 11:50 left in the 3rd

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Igo4 or Hansel, you are going to have to take over with the updates. The wife and I are headed to the bar to watch the rest of the game

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Hey Igo4 or Hansel, you are going to have to take over with the updates. The wife and I are headed to the bar to watch the rest of the game

Cheers!!

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
8:34 left in 3rd.

UNI has ball

UNI 14
YSU 7

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM
YSU punts the ball back to UNI with 3 min. left in the 3rd.

Still 14-7

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
UNI to the Penguin 37 to end the 3rd quarter.

14-7 UNI

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
End of the third quarter, still 14-7

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
first down UNI at the 25 of YSU

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
UNI first down at the YSU 11

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM
measurement at the 1 yard line. Just short

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Touchdown UNI!! 21-7 Panthers pending the XP!!! Vary close play!

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM
UNI scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woo hoo!!!!!!!1

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
TD-UNI

igo4uni
21-7 UNI

11:30 left to play 4th quarter.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Heading for a logjam at the top of the Gateway.

If UNI wins, YSU, WKU, and SIU will all be 4-1 in the conference with UNI 3-2. The great part is they all play each other the next 2 weeks.
:dizzy:

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
YSU gets first on 3rd and 3 from the 27, with short pass to the YSU 33.

Mountain Panther
October 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Looks like the sleeping Panthers finally woke up this game....now hold on!

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Zetts scrambles for first down to the YSU 47...
1st and 10

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM
where was this uni defense last week?

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
Looks like the sleeping Panthers finally woke up this game....now hold on!
With Sanders back, the Panthers can be a factor in the race.

WesternKentuckyKelly
Penguins facing 3rd and 15 from their own 42...most important play yet

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
With Sanders back, the Panthers can be a factor in the race.

Sanders is a real leader for this team. He's only a sophomore, but the kid plays like a seasoned veteran.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Maybe the Penguin fans will be a little quieter tonight.
:D

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
YSU punts inside the UNI 5.
1st down Panthers.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Looks like the gateway will be back at Day 1 for YSU, SIU, and WKU...plus the Panthers are still alive

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM
less than 8 minutes to go for the game.

UNI has 1st and 10 at their 20.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Sounds like Horn is having a big day with Freeney out.

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Sounds like the UNI oline is taking control....YSU d-line is wearing out.....

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Sounds like Horn is having a big day with Freeney out.

He's got all 3 td's and over 100 yds.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Doing a good job of running the clock down.

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
UNI misses fg

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:54 PM
52 yd. FG attempt is no good, wide right...had the leg...so close. That one might have put the game away!

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Still 21-7 Panthers

Zetts is sacked on 1st and 10

Loss of 8

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
3:59 left to go.

YSU has ball at their 25.

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Panthers go for it on 4th and 12 in a loud UNI Dome and the pass is incomplete...that should pretty much do it

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Incomplete pass on fourth down, Panther ball.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
1st and 10 UNI at the YSU 19

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Looks good for a UNI win.

real good.

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM
1:48 left to go.

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM
1:48 left in the Game. 4th down for UNI, in FG Range

siugrad99
October 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Funny how NONE of the YSU fans are hear to comment all game long. Is it because they have "choked" on their own words. I warned them about running their mouthes too early and UNI showed them just how tough it is to play in the Dome. Congrats to UNI and can't wait to hear the excuses from the YSU faithful.

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
UNI has SIU and WKU left in Gateway play.

Could be a great finish to the Gateway race this year.

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
my fault 3rd down...now it's 4th down, time for the FG

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Should be one heck of a game in Bowling Green next Saturday. Both teams in a must win situation with the Gateway title on the line.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Damn, the Gateway is a mess. WKU and YSU both go down this weekend and are no longer undefeated. Ill. St. suffers a devastating loss, and UNI gets back into the thick of things. My Toppers have two critical games coming up. UNI at home next Sat. and at YSU the following week. I also think YSU and SIU play next week. We could have a damn log jam at the top of the conference at the end.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Panthers elect to go for it on 4th. 1 yd. gain,turnover on downs. 1:02 left for the penguins to get 14...looking doubtful for the Penguins.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
YSU takes over on downs.
Only 62 secs left.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
2 quick passes get YSU close to scoring in less than 20 seconds...where has this been all game?

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Should be one heck of a game in Bowling Green next Saturday. Both teams in a must win situation with the Gateway title on the line.

Should be, as long as we show up, unlike this past Thursday. The good news is we've had UNI and YSU's number the past few years, just like SIU has had ours. Hope the trends hold for two more weeks.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Fumble for a loss of 15 yards. t.o. YSU with 15 seconds from the UNI 20.

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM
This is a Weber State over EWU type of game in the Gateway. Makes things reaaaalllly interesting! :nod: :nod: :) :)

igo4uni
October 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
15 seconds left. YSU threatening.

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
Losing Lerron Thursday hurt the passing game because SIU didn't bite on the play action. Look for the O-line to step up against UNI and get the must win.

igo4uni
game over. UNI wins.

peace

igo4uni

WesternKentuckyKelly
panthers win 21-7!

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Congrats UNI! now the Gateway is ready for a big finish!

siugrad99
October 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Where oh where have the Penguin fans gone, oh where oh where can they be. Offers tissue to Paladin to wipe the tears, but i'm sure he'll have excuses for the loss or claim he didn't think they'd win or their 10 1AA transfers were in jail for murder or maybe Marcus Mason was MIA after the truth came out about the freebies he took while at U of I or he told us that "Next Year" would be the year. Whatever he says it will be pathetic. Congrats again UNI.

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Sorry Tod.....but Weber State isn't UNI....Prior to the game YSU should win....but at the begining of the season....UNI was top 10. It helped having our STARTING QB back.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Should be, as long as we show up, unlike this past Thursday. The good news is we've had UNI and YSU's number the past few years, just like SIU has had ours. Hope the trends hold for two more weeks.
Meanwhile, SIU has YSU at home and UNI at the Dome. Great how the schedule worked out with all the top teams playing each other down the stretch. :dizzy:

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Sanders is a huge part of that offense! Glad he'll be back, hopefully WKU has Moore back for the game Saturday.

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Looks as if YSU finally hit the "meat" of the schedule. So much for the top seeding.

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM
All Gateway teams are in the "meat" check out the schedules

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Meanwhile, SIU has YSU at home and UNI at the Dome. Great how the schedule worked out with all the top teams playing each other down the stretch. :dizzy:

The problem is that seveal deserving Gateway teams may be left out of the playoffs with the way the schdules were arranged. It's hard to get up and play your best week after week against competition that tough. Even if 3 Gateway teams make the playoffs, will they have anything left after such brutal late schedules?

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Sorry Tod.....but Weber State isn't UNI....Prior to the game YSU should win....but at the begining of the season....UNI was top 10. It helped having our STARTING QB back.

I'm just talking about a team who seemed out of it, then won a big game that threw the conference into turmoil and kept them in the race. Weber State still has a chance to win the Big Sky (knocking off Idaho State 27-21 today).

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
All Gateway teams are in the "meat" check out the schedules

Yeah. It sure looks like it

Northeastern 1-6
Liberty 1-7
Indiana St 0-8
W Illinois 2-6

As far as being in the meat of the schedule, that was my point. UNI, YSU, WKU and SIU all get to beat the crap out of each other.

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm just talking about a team who seemed out of it, then won a big game that threw the conference into turmoil and kept them in the race. Weber State still has a chance to win the Big Sky (knocking off Idaho State 27-21 today).

Good point...

YSUGUIN
October 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Where oh where have the Penguin fans gone, oh where oh where can they be. Offers tissue to Paladin to wipe the tears, but i'm sure he'll have excuses for the loss or claim he didn't think they'd win or their 10 1AA transfers were in jail for murder or maybe Marcus Mason was MIA after the truth came out about the freebies he took while at U of I or he told us that "Next Year" would be the year. Whatever he says it will be pathetic. Congrats again UNI.

No excuses. My husband and I have been to the Unidome, a formidable place for opponents and a nemesis for YSU! Congratulations to UNI. We could have played better.

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
No excuses. My husband and I have been to the Unidome, a formidable place for opponents and a nemesis for YSU! Congratulations to UNI. We could have played better.

UNI too!!!

Down with the Foe!
October 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM
the whole friggin country is gonna be 8-3 and 7-4.

I been saying for a month they are gonna have to invite some ugly stepsisters to the big dance to make a full field....if they trully pick the most deserving field of teams.

And yes if they did it right, they will put in some teams with crappy records.

Go Griz

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Down with the Foe!,

There will be some really good 7-4 teams on the outside looking in again.....

Down with the Foe!
October 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Down with the Foe!,

There will be some really good 7-4 teams on the outside looking in again.....

I know, but I been lobbying all year (trying to create a buzz vs catching one)

It's a damn shame

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM
No excuse here. We got handled in the trenches. Do that & you will beat us.

BTW, Mason went out with a bad concussion. Didn't know anything.

Every year the GFC proves its wild & wooly. Its a race, right to the end.

Congrats to UNI.

PantherMan
October 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Did anyone else think that Farley should have put out Wingert with ~1:00 left to make it a 3 posession game? I was just picturing YSU scoring quick (as they almost did) and then getting an onside...

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Pantherman,

Thought the EXACT same thing about the FG at the end of the game. Oh well, they stuck with the RUN this game and took care of business!! ;)

PantherMan
October 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Pantherman,

Thought the EXACT same thing about the FG at the end of the game. Oh well, they stuck with the RUN this game and took care of business!! ;)

I agree, the run is where this team needs to start. Regardless of the fact that we have a good group of backs, it sets up our potent passing game and wears down the opposing D. :beerchug:

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 07:46 PM
No excuse here. We got handled in the trenches. Do that & you will beat us.

BTW, Mason went out with a bad concussion. Didn't know anything.

Every year the GFC proves its wild & wooly. Its a race, right to the end.

Congrats to UNI.

Freeney went out for UNI and Sanders is still NOT healthy.....UNI's OLB Garrett was playing FB.....its been that kind of year at UNI.....

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM
As Reed pointed out on Panthernation, moving Cyrus to FB was a big time move that will hopefully continue to pay dividends in the coming weeks. Great win by the Panthers. Showed a lot of character today.

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Congrats, Panthers. Looks like you are back in the race.

01pantherfan
October 30th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Good Luck
HMMM well looks like our O Line wasnt to bad how many yards did UNI have rushing ?? 280

01pantherfan
October 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

A loss and you are done...

Penguins will be ready and be ready for both our qb's..The one passes well; the other throws well.. We have last years TB back in Cayson and he should compliment Mason and Gibson well.

YSU Is tougher than you all are predicting..

GO PENGUINS..
Big SURPISE For GFC Tonight.... Roll Red Roll (STEUBENVILLE LOVE)

Well looks like this week we were at least on the right side of the picks !!

Our D played good and our Offense got the job done even with a less the 100 % QB

FlyYtown
October 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Congrats.

Our offense blew tons of first half opportunities and you held us on the 3rd and short and 4th and won.

We blew a shot of a win early at 7-7 and deep in your territory and we turn it over on downs.... Lost the game there...

We did play well early but we need to finish the job.. Now no excuses; MUST Win next week.

Happy Penguin
October 30th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Nice win for UNI....our lines were exposed a bit today.

Time to regroup, the Gateway is still wide-open.

I wish Q Gibson was available today....oh well.

nmatsen
October 30th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Good Luck

One of the top three rush defenses embarrassed, two to go! ;)

50 Carries 280 yards!

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Its none of the boards concern, but our coaching staff has to answer for pulling YSU's starting QB. Especially after Zetts has seven straight completions for 85 yds and got us a TD drive.

Losing Mason and not having Gibson make the trip all hurt. But YSU was in the game until into the 4th qtr. Jerking the starting QB was sheer stupidity by HicCup.

YSU will play with SIU & WKU. But some injuries will hurt and the coaching staff has to get smarter. We were in the game.

The coaches weren't !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PantherMan
October 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Its none of the boards concern, but our coaching staff has to answer for pulling YSU's starting QB. Especially after Zetts has seven straight completions for 85 yds and got us a TD drive.

Losing Mason and not having Gibson make the trip all hurt. But YSU was in the game until into the 4th qtr. Jerking the starting QB was sheer stupidity by HicCup.

YSU will play with SIU & WKU. But some injuries will hurt and the coaching staff has to get smarter. We were in the game.

The coaches weren't !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Zetts getting pulled was very questionable. He did have that nice TD drive in the first half, but after he came back in he was very ineffective. Taking him out at all was a miscue by your coaching staff, unless there are some reasons that we as fans don't know about.

PMB4Life
October 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I gotta say that I'm not impressed with YSU's coach... rumor has it that he was screaming at the officiating crew something to the tune of "You'll never work in this conference again" or something to that effect.

Pulling Zetts was also pretty confusing to me... he was moving the ball pretty well.

Cap'n Cat
November 1st, 2005, 09:10 PM
I told you guys. I TOLD you. Most disappointed in the UNI people groveling at the feet of this paper tiger team.

Youngstown will never, ever win another game in the UNI-Dome.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

igo4uni
November 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Youngstown will never, ever win another game in the UNI-Dome.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Let's hope so!

peace

igo4uni