PDA

View Full Version : Salukis visit the Hilltoppers!!

Psychored
October 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
A Thursday night game televised on ESPNU! The Hilltoppers have found their defense...at least the past two games! :nod: Will the 'Saluki Slide' continue? :confused: I say the Tops preserve their ranking with a 28-17 spanking! :spank:

OL FU
October 23rd, 2005, 06:04 PM
A Thursday night game televised on ESPNU! The Hilltoppers have found their defense...at least the past two games! :nod: Will the 'Saluki Slide' continue? :confused: I say the Tops preserve their ranking with a 28-17 spanking! :spank:

I am pulling for the Hilltoppers, Don't want to be number one (yet).

I also think WKU wins relatively easily.

Killtoppers90
October 23rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
I think because of it being a Thursday night ESPN(u) game that we might have a decnet crowd show up. I think it will be a close game, SIU is wounded but still has a lot to play for. Pride being the main one.

Killsback
October 23rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
This will come down to who can stop the other team. I like SIU's offense. Sambursky has been on the money lately and able to spread the ball around to many different receivers. Whitlock is runing very well and the offensive line continues to get better each week. But, can the Sal;uki sget enough defensive stops to slow down the Toppers. Haddix has never had great games against the Salukis and as long as he does not have a break out game this should be close. Didn't the Toppers have a runing back get injured against Western Illinois? Who was it and will it have an effect on the Toppers "O"?

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
This will come down to who can stop the other team. I like SIU's offense. Sambursky has been on the money lately and able to spread the ball around to many different receivers. Whitlock is runing very well and the offensive line continues to get better each week. But, can the Sal;uki sget enough defensive stops to slow down the Toppers. Haddix has never had great games against the Salukis and as long as he does not have a break out game this should be close. Didn't the Toppers have a runing back get injured against Western Illinois? Who was it and will it have an effect on the Toppers "O"?

Starting tailback Lerron Moore went out in the first quarter with a minor shoulder injury, but he could've come back in had it been necessary. From everything I've read, he'll be fine for the game. There just wasn't a need for him yesterday. Our second string tailback put up almost 140 yards and our third string added another 40 or so.

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
One of the most important players the Topps need to get back in the lineup is LB Brandon Smith. He's our best overall defensive player and he's been out for 4 weeks or so with a groin injury. I've been hearing he'll play Thursday. Anyone else out there heard anything?

galojay
October 23rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
This will be a close game. I remember the last time SIU came to Bowling Green.

Sambursky connected with Brent Little in the final minute to beat WKU and ruin our homecomimg. Had we won, we would have had our first outright Gateway title.

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
WKU Wins big and shows they are #1 in the GFC AND NATION.

WKU 35
SIU 14

GASIUalum
October 23rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
If i'm WKU, I dont even try to run the ball.

galojay
October 23rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Why do you say that GASIU?

Psychored
October 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
If i'm WKU, I dont even try to run the ball.

:lmao: Can you say 'sarcasm' ? :lmao:

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Maybe because the Saluki rushing D is ranked 16th in the country and the passing efficiency defense is ranked 87th. You beat the Dawgs through the air. I'm sure that is the sort of thing GA is referring to.
:eek:

galojay
October 23rd, 2005, 09:25 PM
We've excelled against other good rushing D's. We'll rush, I can promise that.

It will be a tough a game... no doubt.

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
I, and a few others, plan on hitting campus around noon this Thursday. Anybody else going to be there that early? May just have to take off work on Friday also. :D

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
I guess this late in the season, you have to go with what got you here. I was just trying to explain the reasoning behind GA's post the best that I understood it. It's crunch time. Best of luck to you (when you play anyone else).
xprost2x

wkukid
October 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to this thursday night game. Maybe I'll even get on ESPNU.

WKU - 21
SIU - 17

REALBird
October 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
WKU 42
SIU 17

Toppers keep the SIU defense off balance all night long. Expect more passing than you guys are used to Topper fans. It will indeed be the "path of least resistence" against a vulnerable SIU secondary.

galojay
October 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Topper's struggled early against the pass, but the last two games head coach David Elson (former Defensive Coordinator) took over the defense and we've cut our allowed yards in half! Brandon Smith is rumored to be back and he will definitely put pressure on famed SIU QB.

Killtoppers90
October 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM
We are going to need every available body on defense, including Smith to make this one a W. But I see us pulling ahead late and winning 27-24.

wkuhillhound
October 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I am generally excited about this game being on national TV. In a game that features two Top 10 teams in a battle for Gateway supremacy, not to take anything away from Illinois State, this could validate the Toppers as a seed in this year's playoffs. The Toppers must rid themselves of the "Saluki" itch of the past couple of years. That Topper win over the Redbirds is getting more impressive by the week.

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
So is YSU win over the 'Birds ! ;)

wkuhillhound
October 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I totally forgot about Youngstown. Hopefully WKU will still play for the Gateway autobid when the Toppers visit Youngstown. :D

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
The next three weeks will determine the Gateway champ. WKU plays SIU this week, YSU plays SIU next week and WKU plays YSU the following week. Nothing like a round robin for all the marbles the final 3 weeks.
:D

siugrad99
October 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM
WKU 45 SIU 24.. Pains me to say it, but we have NO defense and unless we get a lead and can control the clock with # 24 we haven't a shot. We have been a big play offense at times this season, but that is not what we are known for unless it be on the ground. Turnovers & Penalties will have a lot to say about how SIU plays and how close the score is. I hate to pick against my team, but reality says we just aren't the team we were the past 2 seasons and WKU on the road is mighty tough.

Go Dawgs ! Prove my gut wrong!

footballer23
October 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'm going with the Hilltoppers in a game that I think will be close until the 4th quarter. Then, I think WKU wins by 10+.

Baldy
October 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Sorry Topper fans. I'm sure most GSU fans are rootin' for SIU. We would love to see Furman #1 when they come to town on Nov. 5th. :nod:

Toppermaniac
October 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Any SIU fans on here making the trip to Bowling Green for this Thursday's game? If so, stop by to see me. I'll be tailgating just up the hill from the parking structure (old one, not new one next to the stadium). I'll be on the same side of he road as the parking structure, and will be right next to the road. (Across the road from where most of the students will be tailgating)Will be wearing a # 16 WKU jersey. Oh, another good landmark. I'll be right next to a "Shop At Home Carpet" van. My neighbor works for that business and drives the van to games for advertising. LOL Stop by and ask for Darrell. If you wait until too late in the day, I might be just a little wobbly. Myself and a few others are hitting campus around noon, and the adult beverages will be aplenty.

CatFan22
October 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
WKU - 34
SIU - 20

rabidsaluki
October 26th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I was there for the Sambursky to Little miracle two yrs ago. I was halfway to my car when I got call on my cell telling me that the Dawgs were on the comeback trail. Was at the Mac for last years' dismantling - This year.....

Ain't gonna happen. Haddix will have career numbers in this one. I hope I'm wrong, but.....

WKU 56
SIU 28

Secondary is a travesty. Texas Tech would have dropped a C-note on us without breaking a sweat. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

rabidsaluki
October 26th, 2005, 02:08 AM
If it wasn't on a Thursday I might have. It's about four-five for me.

Besides I'd probably get so liquored up (drowning my sorrows) that I'd have to stay.

(*Liquored up - That's like the tenth time I've said that tonight. Getting downsized is not good for your liver.)

Happy Penguin
October 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM
WKU's defense will be too much for SIU to handle coming off a short week and having to travel. It could get ugly, but WKU will call of the "dogs" so to speak, and just grind it out in the late going. 37-20 Toppers.

That'll just give SIU more time to prepare for the beloved Penguins however, and you guys have owned us lately :(

It'll be our second road game in a row against a team with their backs to the wall with 3 losses....ouch.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I can't see SIU winning this one, WKU by double digits.

Grande Rosso
October 26th, 2005, 03:03 PM
A couple questions for you Salukis:

1) Why did Kill need to be on the sidelines last week at INS? He kind of looked like he was walking with a limp, almost like a stroke victim. I hope that was his normal gait. I thought he might sit that game out and make a dramatic return in Bowling Green on Thursday.

2) Why go for another TD and not take a knee with 39 seconds left? The TV announcers were all saying that "no way" would SIU ram another TD down the Sycamores throats. Then when they actually did it, they couldn't come up with a good reason, other than padding Arkee's stats. Any thoughts?

WKU35
October 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Grande,
Are you coming down for the game?
I plan on taking off work at about noon.
We will be at the old spot across from the old parking structure.

siugrad99
October 26th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Only a guess, but with as badly as we played the entire game it may have been to set the tone for the week and end the game on a strong note. Knowing we have to go into WKU I assume they wanted to end strong and hope that carries over to Thursday. We can only hope as it is not going to be easy and very well may be ugly by halftime.

rabidsaluki
October 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM

1) Why did Kill need to be on the sidelines last week at INS? He kind of looked like he was walking with a limp, almost like a stroke victim. I hope that was his normal gait. I thought he might sit that game out and make a dramatic return in Bowling Green on Thursday.

2) Why go for another TD and not take a knee with 39 seconds left? The TV announcers were all saying that "no way" would SIU ram another TD down the Sycamores throats. Then when they actually did it, they couldn't come up with a good reason, other than padding Arkee's stats. Any thoughts?

Had Kill been actually calling the shots - the knee would have been taken. But I think it was more of a statement than a rub in. I really don't think it was a stat padder. I was more of a "We're not going to pack it in anymore." Kind of like what they did in the 3rd qtr agains ILS. (As evident by the wide open 60yd TD pass. A Pop Warner team could have covered that play better)

As far as him being on the sidelines - He wasn't acutally calling the game it was more of an advisory role. He was there for moral support. THe team was pretty down and his being there was a boost.

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM

1) Kill is addicted to football and loves his players like family. He said that he could tell by their reaction to him last Saturday that they were going to win. Some SIU fans may have been surprised he showed, but I doubt if any were shocked.
2) I don't think the Salukis were trying to run up the score. Arkee just ran the play and no one touched him. What was he supposed to do, stop at the one and kneel?

primetime21
October 27th, 2005, 12:45 PM
The next three weeks will determine the Gateway champ. WKU plays SIU this week, YSU plays SIU next week and WKU plays YSU the following week. Nothing like a round robin for all the marbles the final 3 weeks.

Aren't you counting out the Panthers a little early?! We can play quite the spoiler in your little scenario as we will be playing Youngstown, Saluikis and Hilltoppers in the next month.

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Aren't you counting out the Panthers a little early?! We can play quite the spoiler in your little scenario as we will be playing Youngstown, Saluikis and Hilltoppers in the next month.
The scenario for UNI to win the conference is complicated. You would have to win out along with the Salukis beating both YSU and WKU. Possible, but unlikely. If the Dawgs manage to win both of those games, they would head into the Dome with so much confidence the Panthers would have their hands full. Is Sanders back? I don't see much hope for you without him.
It already looks like playoff time in the Gateway the way the schedules worked out.