PDA

View Full Version : Ineligible Playoff Teams

Khan4Cats
August 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I know the Ivy's don't participate and SWAC also, but which other FCS teams are ineligible this year?

I know the Dakotas are now in transition and ineligible, while the Dakota States are eligible.

What about Central Arkansas?

IndianaAppMan
August 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Keep in mind that non-auto-qualifier conferences are still eligible for at-large bids if they've been D1 for 4 years.
Presbyterian is ineligible.
I think that Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern might be as well.

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I know the Ivy's don't participate and SWAC also, but which other FCS teams are ineligible this year?

I know the Dakotas are now in transition and ineligible, while the Dakota States are eligible.

What about Central Arkansas?
Technically the SWAC's aren't ineligible.

UND, USD, UCA, Presbyterian, Bryant, NCCU, WSSU and Campbell I think round out the "ineligibles". Southeastern LA is now eligible, correct Lions fans?

Lionsrking
August 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Technically the SWAC's aren't ineligible.

UND, USD, UCA, Presbyterian, Bryant, NCCU, WSSU and Campbell I think round out the "ineligibles". Southeastern LA is now eligible, correct Lions fans?

We were playoff eligible in 2003...we didn't have to go through the transition period since we were already 1-AA when we dropped football after the '85 season...we simply reinstated which was as if we never dropped it to begin with.

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I know I shouldnt go here but I thought it would be funny...

And the pioneer league is basically ineligible bc they never make it anyways :)

JoshUCA
August 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
UCA will be eligible during the 2010 season (I do believe).

Khan4Cats
August 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the help folks, trying to get ready for the season and just couldn't find a list that summarized them.

Is UC Davis eligible this year?

I'm trying to think if there was another one from last year, Savannah State, maybe?

Do wins over these teams count as D-I, or are first year schools, like the Dakotas, Campbell, and Bryant still counted as a sub D-I game?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
They do count as D-I I believe.

EmeryZach
August 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM

The Pioneer is like the Sunbelt of the FCS.

Just kidding guys, love you all. xthumbsupx

brownbear
August 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
How long is the transitional period for Campbell? They were already a D-I school, and the four year transition is only for schools coming up from D-2 to D-I.

danefan
August 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM

The Pioneer is like the Sunbelt of the FCS.

Just kidding guys, love you all. xthumbsupx

And the OVC should be ineligible because they haven't won a playoff game in like 100 years. ;) xsmiley_wix

I kid. I kid........

Back on topic. I don't know if transition teams count in the first year of transition.

danefan
August 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
How long is the transitional period for Campbell? They were already a D-I school, and the four year transition is only for schools coming up from D-2 to D-I.

There is none. Same as Old Dominion.

Just takes time to get a program started.

I-AA Fan
August 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Keep in mind that non-auto-qualifier conferences are still eligible for at-large bids if they've been D1 for 4 years.
Presbyterian is ineligible.
I think that Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern might be as well.

I do not believe the NCAA has approved the Great West's paperwork, due to lack of sponsor, & does not officially recognize them. This is part of the reason that the xDSU's left for the Gateway. I think the Great West has a sponsor now ...in the mid-con/summit and will soon be recognized. So, any of those teams would have to go as an independent.

Thumper250
August 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Presbyterian becomes eligible in 2011.

Gardner-Webb has been fully eligible for FCS/I-AA playoffs since 2002.

Poly Pigskin
August 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the help folks, trying to get ready for the season and just couldn't find a list that summarized them.

Is UC Davis eligible this year?

I'm trying to think if there was another one from last year, Savannah State, maybe?

Do wins over these teams count as D-I, or are first year schools, like the Dakotas, Campbell, and Bryant still counted as a sub D-I game?

Davis is eligible, they were starting last season. Wins over first year transition schools do not count as DI wins, which is why the Great West isn't playing a full round robin this season. Doing so would have given Davis and Poly 2 games that count as DII, effectively eliminating our playoff chances. SUU is the sacrificial lamb, they get stuck playing both Dakotas.

Eight Legger
August 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
So in summary: a bunch of teams that weren't going to sniff the playoffs anyway are ineligible for them.

Hood
August 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
So in summary: a bunch of teams that weren't going to sniff the playoffs anyway are ineligible for them.

Central Arkansas is a legit contender.

Libertine
August 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
I think that Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern might be (ineligible) as well.
Gardner-Webb became eligible in '05. CSU has been eligible for over a decade.

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Davis is eligible, they were starting last season. Wins over first year transition schools do not count as DI wins, which is why the Great West isn't playing a full round robin this season. Doing so would have given Davis and Poly 2 games that count as DII, effectively eliminating our playoff chances. SUU is the sacrificial lamb, they get stuck playing both Dakotas.

xlolx xlolx xlolx SUU needed the games, and a potential win xnodx xnodx

UND gets their one home FCS game vs SUU, and USD's only home game vs FCS is UND (another DII counting team).

This Rabbit is happy that Davis and Poly are only playing one of the Dakota's each, so that they don't get woofed because they played in conference.

TheValleyRaider
August 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM
The Great West teams aren't eligible for an auto-bid because their conference doesn't have the required number of teams for that. UC Davis, Cal Poly and Southern Utah are all eligible for the postseason

Any D-I program that starts football (like Campbell this year, ODU next) is immediately eligible for the postseason, as the transition period is only for schools moving up from D-II

I believe the list of ineligible teams is this:
Bryant
Central Arkansas
North Carolina Central
North Dakota
Presbyterian
South Dakota
Winston-Salem State

as well as the Ivy League (who doesn't participate)
and several members of the SWAC:
Grambling and Southern (Bayou Classic)
Alabama State (Turkey Day Classic)
Participants in the SWAC Championship Game

Khan4Cats
August 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
The Great West teams aren't eligible for an auto-bid because their conference doesn't have the required number of teams for that. UC Davis, Cal Poly and Southern Utah are all eligible for the postseason

Any D-I program that starts football (like Campbell this year, ODU next) is immediately eligible for the postseason, as the transition period is only for schools moving up from D-II

I believe the list of ineligible teams is this:
Bryant
Central Arkansas
North Carolina Central
North Dakota
Presbyterian
South Dakota
Winston-Salem State

as well as the Ivy League (who doesn't participate)
and several members of the SWAC:
Grambling and Southern (Bayou Classic)
Alabama State (Turkey Day Classic)
Participants in the SWAC Championship Game

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Also, as I understand it, any games against North Dakota, South Dakota, and Bryant do not count as D-I games this year, but the other ineligible teams do count. Trying to get a grasp on how many D-I games everyone in FCS plays to see how teams do in getting to any kind of magic number, i.e. 7 wins (maybe 8 this year with the 12 game schedule by a lot of teams).

TheValleyRaider
August 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Also, as I understand it, any games against North Dakota, South Dakota, and Bryant do not count as D-I games this year, but the other ineligible teams do count. Trying to get a grasp on how many D-I games everyone in FCS plays to see how teams do in getting to any kind of magic number, i.e. 7 wins (maybe 8 this year with the 12 game schedule by a lot of teams).

That's correct, those 3 don't count as D-I games for an opponent this season. Next year, they will

BEAR
August 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
transition sucks....

stevdock
August 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
transition sucks....

You'll get through it. We did and did a pretty good job of it also.

raginram
August 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
transition sucks....

xnodx xnodx xnodx so true next season cant come quick enough

Hood
August 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM
transition sucks....

It sucks for the students the most. I really really feel bad for the students that missed the playoffs at NDSU, Central Arkansas, etc...

At least the fans can look to the future of spectating a championship. These kids during the transitional phase don't even get to play!

I know this argument is not new in the least but it still ruffles my diplomatic feathers!xthumbsupx