PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra-New Unis?

KAUMASS
August 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I was just looking at Hofstra's site-Their current camp pictures have them with new helmut's -blue with a slanted white or grey "block H" with blue face masks. Anyone know if they are just changing the helmet or have new unis as well? There are no press announcements that I could find on google regarding new unis.

Looking forward to seeing the Hofstra-UConn game next week on SNY.

stonywolf
August 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
yeah those are def new helmets

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I sure hope not. Those are atrocious. I thought the move away from the Visa logo to the lions was a great move. :(

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/sports_fb_08HUPreScrimmage72.jpg
http://www.hofstra.edu/images/ath_splash_football.jpg

Umass74
August 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
The CAA press guide shows Hofstra helmets with a block "H".

I'm with 89hen in the fact that I like the lions on Hofstra's previous helmet.

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
The CAA press guide shows Hofstra helmets with a block "H".

I'm with 89hen in the fact that I like the lions on Hofstra's previous helmet.
xoopsx xnonono2x The logo was cool, original and can you think of another logo that isn't the actual team mascot name?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Not a fan of the "H", no sir, not me.

KAUMASS
August 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think they would look better with a white face mask. I'm okay with the blue helmut and logo, still curious about the rest of the uniforms though..

danefan
August 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
It appears to come from a new University logo (or at least one I've never seen). Its the only one used on www.hofstra.edu

http://people.hofstra.edu/Jonathan_D_Becker/Images/hofstra_logo.jpg

dgreco
August 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
It is actually the H from the athletic website. the old white helmet is so much nicer, not a fan of these.

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wow. It's very weak. Uncle Buck, where are you? PLEASE make them stop before it's too late. xsmhx

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/page_header_images/Athletics.gif

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/hofstra_brand_images/schoolSymbol.gif

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/top_left_images/Athletics.jpg

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
that is pretty ugly... not very powerful if you ask me

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Looking like their sports already use the H

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/sports_bb_08coleheadGOOD.jpg
http://www.hofstra.edu/images/ath_splash_m_Xcountry.jpg

Go...gate
August 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I kinda liked the old Visa card style. Why did they need to change that?

Seawolf97
August 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The double Lion Heads was great . the H is well not goodxsmhx

Jackman
August 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
According to a Hofstra fan who said he spoke to the coach, the Lion Heads logo didn't show up well on TV. I guess I'd agree with that, though I still think it was a cool logo. Maybe they can get their VISA sponsorship back and use the previous logo. Looks like this is their new sponsor now:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/PreparationHofstra.jpg

Seawolf97
August 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
According to a Hofstra fan who said he spoke to the coach, the Lion Heads logo didn't show up well on TV. I guess I'd agree with that, though I still think it was a cool logo. Maybe they can get their VISA sponsorship back and use the previous logo. Looks like this is their new sponsor now:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/PreparationHofstra.jpg

Healing is good xlolx

Uncle Buck
August 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Busy day at work yesterday and drove down to Springfield, VA this morning to visit family. I guess I will weigh in on this. I heard that the pic online doesn't do the color of the helmet justice. it's a darker royal blue with a wide white H. From what i know, no plans to change the uni's, just the hat. I like the colored helmet, not sure about the H yet. I did like the helmet last year and thought a thin blue stripe down the middle would have finished it.

I am not a fan of the uni's, hopefully the helmet looks better in person. If they had to change, i would have liked an interlocking HU to be honest.

Umass74
August 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
From the CAA website.

JohnStOnge
August 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I like the "H" better than the double lion head thing.

Uncle Buck
August 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Different strokes for different folks. I like the "H" better than the double lion head thing.

The more i see it the more it grows on me. Though i still can't wait to see it in person Thursday night at UConn. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I always kind of liked the Lions, very unique, though I would have liked a stripe on top

The H isn't bad, and it does look better with the yellow outline. I wonder how it would look if the H was yellow, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I didn't like the lions at all. I liked the old white "Visa" helmets best. This new blue one is OK, needs a white face mask though. I can only think that this is going to lead to a nightmarish all blue (helmet, facemask, jersey and pants) uniform one night in the future. Yuck.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I didn't like the lions at all. I liked the old white "Visa" helmets best. This new blue one is OK, needs a white face mask though. I can only think that this is going to lead to a nightmarish all blue (helmet, facemask, jersey and pants) uniform one night in the future. Yuck.

that would be very bush league, I agree. The new uni design is high-school like, and a ripoff of Northwestern. Also count me among the few who now prefer the old HU flag logo over the lions and the new H. I also think two uniform designs ago was their best combination; the jersey was classy looking.

You could go back to that design, keep this new blue lid and incorporate the old flag logo onto it. some white and yellow outlining would be necessary to offset the dark lettering.

FCS Preview
August 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I liked the old Hofstra flag (upside down Visa card logo). But count me as someone who also prefers "Flying Dutchmen" to "Pride" as well. Ditching the lions is a good thing. If they're not going back to the old flag logo, I like the use of the "H".

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
You guys only like the visa logo because you never had to wear it. That damn thing still gives me nightmares. While i'm not a fan of the current jerseys, i can live with the H

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I liked the old Hofstra flag (upside down Visa card logo). But count me as someone who also prefers "Flying Dutchmen" to "Pride" as well. Ditching the lions is a good thing. If they're not going back to the old flag logo, I like the use of the "H".
Yeah, I agree, I hate school that change nicknames for PC reasons. Were the friggin Dutch all PO'ed or something?

Of course now with kids, Flying Dutchman reminds me of Spongebob! UB did you get extra teary eyed when the Flying Dutchman lost his scare??? xlolx

http://www.unitedspongebob.com/dutchbio.jpg

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I agree, I hate school that change nicknames for PC reasons. Were the friggin Dutch all PO'ed or something?

Of course now with kids, Flying Dutchman reminds me of Spongebob! UB did you get extra teary eyed when the Flying Dutchman lost his scare??? xlolx

http://www.unitedspongebob.com/dutchbio.jpg

I love that one, and definitely liked Flying Dutchmen as a nickname.

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I still don't get the "flying dutchment" drop. I mean I can't find anything offensive at all with Flying Dutchmen.

Fighting Dutchmen....meh.....maybe. But Flying Dutchmen? Maybe I just don't understand the origins of the nickname. I just don't get it.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
A great nickname that they ripped away from us and threw it in the trash. Pride, f'ing terrible.

I blame it on the women. I heard that the women's teams were not loving the moniker of "The Lady Dutch".

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Of the subject, but "Dutch" was a great movie back in the day!

Wasn't "Flying Dutchman" an old warship captured by pirates?

TheValleyRaider
August 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM

The Flying Dutchman, as told by Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman)

The Flying Dutchman, according to folklore, is a ghost ship that can never go home, and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. The Flying Dutchman is usually spotted from afar, sometimes seen to be glowing with ghostly light. It is said that if she is hailed by another ship, her crew will often try to send messages to land or to people long since dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is reckoned by seafarers to be a portent of doom

I blame it on the women. I heard that the women's teams were not loving the moniker of "The Lady Dutch".

That has to be the single most obnoxious trend in nicknaming I've ever seen. Making women's teams the "Lady" whatevers. It's honestly worse when you're talking about schools with animal mascots and nicknames, or even one's that are strictly gender-neutral (like, say, colors). It's like they aren't really a part of the school or something. Worse than re-naming "Indians" to "______ Hawks"

danefan
August 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
The Flying Dutchman, as told by Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman)

That has to be the single most obnoxious trend in nicknaming I've ever seen. Making women's teams the "Lady" whatevers. It's honestly worse when you're talking about schools with animal mascots and nicknames, or even one's that are strictly gender-neutral (like, say, colors). It's like they aren't really a part of the school or something. Worse than re-naming "Indians" to "______ Hawks"

I believe the "lady ______" BS started with the Lady Vols. And I'm 99% sure they did it because they actually have two separate athletic deparments at Tenn. (also how the negotiate Title IX)

Anyone else doing it is just stupid.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The legend is of a cursed captain and his lost Dutch ship. The captain is the Flying Dutchman, not the ship.

I posted this link up years ago on another site, when the school jammed the new nickname down our throats. There are multiple stories going way back in time.

Of course, the rub was that the names (Flying Dutchmen and Pride) were being used "interchangeably". Yeah, right....

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/ships/id19.html

Seawolf97
August 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hey we changed 3 times since Stonybrook started supporting athletics. When the school first opened in 1957 it was located in Oysterbay NY in Nassau County. They were called the Baymen back then. Somewhere down the road they became the Patriots during their early D3 days at Stonybrook. Then of course we became the Seawolves a mythical sea creature of Indian lore. That briefly got them in trouble from the Univ. of Alaska the original Seawolves . I guess they settled that one.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
That's completely assinine for AK to come down on SBU, unless they were replicating a possible logo or graphic that may have been copywrited by Anchorage. Otherwise, think of the potential litigation that may come about from the myriad schools out there using "Tigers".

Seawolf97
August 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
That's completely assinine for AK to come down on SBU, unless they were replicating a possible logo or graphic that may have been copywrited by Anchorage. Otherwise, think of the potential litigation that may come about from the myriad schools out there using "Tigers".

I think it had more to do with the name than the beast. Their colors are different also I think they are green and gold . It was settled with a handshakexnodx

aceinthehole
August 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Of the subject, but "Dutch" was a great movie back in the day!

A fantastic flick. Al Bundy (Ed O'Neil) in a movie role.

Favorite line: "Nothing burps like bacon" xlolx

Husky Alum
August 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Talking about schools with similar nickmanes.

Northeastern is the Huskies, our colors are black and red.

Northern Illinois is also the Huskies, their colors are black and red.

NU Huskies
NIU Huskies

My trips to Chicago wearing Northeastern gear with just an "N" or it or that say "Huskies....INSERT NAME OF SPORT" are spent explaining myself.

Then to make matters worse, there's a Northeastern Illinois as well (their colors are blue and gold).

We were named the Huskies in 1927, after UDub (1921) and before UConn (1934), St. Cloud State (1939), Northern Illinois (1940), and Michigan Tech (1947).

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I think it had more to do with the name than the beast. Their colors are different also I think they are green and gold . It was settled with a handshakexnodx

That said, if I'm SBU and I'm being approached about "Seawolves", I'm not giving a handshake, I'm flipping them the bird for wasting my time xeyebrowx

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I sure am glad my school uses a totally unique name like the Tigers!

danefan
August 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM

That is one thing UAlbany fans don't have to worry about. We are the only sports team anywhere (in NCAA for sure) that uses the Great Danes.

The Origin Of America's Greatest College Mascot Revealed:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/08/22/194615.php

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM

At face value I could say the same thing about UNH and Wildcats, but when the nickname was chosen in 1926 wild cats were still native to New Hampshire and live mascots were present until 1940. Alas, none of them adjusted well to the crowds and noise of football games.

The media had started calling the ice hockey team "the Durham Bulls" (remember this is the 1925-6 season). But when a vote was taken of the student body, they selected the Wildcat over the Bull. From the UNH web site:

The Wildcat is small and aggressive -- like New Hampshire. The actions of the wildcat are more symbolic of a New Hampshire team on the field than those of the sluggish bull. Furthermore, the actual mascot, if a wildcat, could be more easily transported from place to place than a bull.

Here's the first mascot Maizie:

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
At face value I could say the same thing about UNH and Wildcats, but when the nickname was chosen in 1926 wild cats were still native to New Hampshire and live mascots were present until 1940. Alas, none of them adjusted well to the crowds and noise of football games.

The media had started calling the ice hockey team "the Durham Bulls" (remember this is the 1925-6 season). But when a vote was taken of the student body, they selected the Wildcat over the Bull. From the UNH web site:

Here's the first mascot Maizie:

Towson(State) was the Black Knights until a newspaper article described how our soccer team played like tigers, even in a loss. xrolleyesx Totally lame reason to change nicknames.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
BTW, why is it OK for one school to be the Fighting Irish but another can't be the Flying Dutchmen? xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

It was pretty easy to understand why UMass switched from the Redmen to the Minutemen. Especially when the new nickname is darn good for that state's school. Dartmouth going from the Indians to Big Green isn't quite so good. An Ivy League school can't come up with something better than a color? xrolleyesx

I think I may have to go over to Rentschler Field Thursday and start a "Let's go Dutchmen" cheer! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM
We were named the Huskies in 1927, after UDub (1921) and before UConn (1934), St. Cloud State (1939), Northern Illinois (1940), and Michigan Tech (1947).

No worries Husky Alum, around these parts you guys are the Huskies. That other school down in Storrs that bolted has a bunch of Sled Dogs!! ;) :D :D

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
As far as we know (we never really will), the movement away from Flying Dutchmen had nothing to do with PC issues. The school was about as transparent in their rationale as a burlap sack over the head. It was very Baltimore Colt-like, with the Mayflower truck pulling away in the middle of the night.

Except instead of the Mayflower, it was a fine Dutch sailing vessel.

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
As far as we know (we never really will), the movement away from Flying Dutchmen had nothing to do with PC issues. The school was about as transparent in their rationale as a burlap sack over the head. It was very Baltimore Colt-like, with the Mayflower truck pulling away in the middle of the night.

Except instead of the Mayflower, it was a fine Dutch sailing vessel.

Bull Fan is a funny guy. xlolx Did you play with UB too?

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Only in high school. Went on to watch his collegiate career from the stands, and fell in love with the I-AA game. Come to think of it, if not for his stout genetics, I don't know if I'd ever have truly appreciated football played at a level where it wasn't about money but more about the sport.

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Only in high school. Went on to watch his collegiate career from the stands, and fell in love with the I-AA game. Come to think of it, if not for his stout genetics, I don't know if I'd ever have truly appreciated football played at a level where it wasn't about money but more about the sport.

HA! Were you at the monsoon game versus us up there in 1993? Me and UB were battling. That game probably cost us a playoff berth.

Jackman
August 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
It was pretty easy to understand why UMass switched from the Redmen to the Minutemen. Especially when the new nickname is darn good for that state's school.
Before the Redmen, we were the Aggies, back when we were Massachusetts A&M. Glad we changed both those names. Minutemen is perfect. Alliterative, closely linked to the region and unique. Not gonna do better than that, though "Minutewomen" is a little unwieldy. Redmen/Redskins is the one and only politically correct name change I support. Don't see a problem with "Indians", but you can't be using a race's skin color as your mascot. That wouldn't fly with other minorities.

For the upcoming 100th season of basketball, UMass released a seal with a lot of the old logos, including the Redmen and Aggies. My only complaint is that they seem to keep moving the Minuteman's gun further and further from the ready position. In his next incarnation he may be the Be-Back-in-a-Minuteman, because he left his gun at home.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/umasscentennialmedium.jpg

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I was at that game, yep. Heaviest downpoor you could imagine. Uncle Buck's father wore a military issue rainsuit, and was still drenched. I think we're all still drying off ;)

Uncle Buck
August 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
HA! Were you at the monsoon game versus us up there in 1993? Me and UB were battling. That game probably cost us a playoff berth.

Man, that was some serious rain. I don't think to this day I have ever seen it rain so hard in my life. That was absolutely unreal, still shake my head thinking about it.

Oh, i mentioned to my wife yesterday that a guy i traded some paint with back in the day for Towson spits when he drives past the school (Delaware). She said we're all insane! Maybe a little.

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Man, that was some serious rain. I don't think to this day I have ever seen it rain so hard in my life. That was absolutely unreal, still shake my head thinking about it.

Oh, i mentioned to my wife yesterday that a guy i traded some paint with back in the day for Towson spits when he drives past the school (Delaware). She said we're all insane! Maybe a little.

I think those hightops I wore are still water logged from that game. I know I never wore them again.