PDA

View Full Version : Yale to play Albany in 2010

bulldog10jw
August 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Albany will take the place of Army as Yale's 3rd game that year, after Army backed out of their 3 game commitment.

Dane96
August 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
AWESOME FOR US. I am so psyched because I can get hammered and take the train up and back....and I get to see the Yale Bowl for a game.

We should be up to 36 rides by then...so I expect a good game.

danefan
August 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Great to see. I love playing storied programs that should also be good games.

Plus the Yale bowl is a great place to watch a game in the fall. Looking forward to it.

YaleFootballFan
August 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
We basically gained a home game out of this. We were slated to play at West Point in 2010. This looks like a one year deal with Albany, although Yale does have an open home date in 2013.

We also gained another home game in 2012 with Colgate coming to the Bowl. The home game against the Raiders replaced the road game at Army. Yale plays six home games in '12.

YaleFootballFan
August 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Also, this is the first time that Yale will play a team from the Northeast Conference.

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Congrats to the Albany guys on the great game, but come on Yale!!!!

If the Elis were willing to take on a NEC team at home, why not offer CCSU the chance to visit historic Yale Bowl? xnonono2x

If fact, I'm sure Central would have taken the ride down I-91 for free, without the guarantee! I'm not suggesting a Yale/Central matchup would replace the old UConn games, but come on be a good neighbor. The caliber of opponent is nearly identical, so why take Albany?

CCSU has developed a nice little rivalry with Yale win Womens soccer, so you are more than willing to schedule CCSU in other sports. I'm not happy about this as a CCSU fan. :(

Dane96
August 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Understandably so!

DetroitFlyer
August 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Good for Albany. Still, I would like to see another Yale / Dayton series. The PFL and the Ivy League have much more in common than they do with the rest of FCS.... I would like to see more games between the two conferences going forward.... I think USD thumping Yale left a bad taste in the Ivies mouths.... Even so, Albany will not be a sure win in 2010.... Heck, they may even be up to two full rides by then....xlolx

danefan
August 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Good for Albany. Still, I would like to see another Yale / Dayton series. The PFL and the Ivy League have much more in common than they do with the rest of FCS.... I would like to see more games between the two conferences going forward.... I think USD thumping Yale left a bad taste in the Ivies mouths.... Even so, Albany will not be a sure win in 2010.... Heck, they may even be up to two full rides by then....xlolx

I'm trying to figure out how that's a dig on Albany? xeyebrowx

Husky Alum
August 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
The caliber of opponent is nearly identical, so why take Albany?

C'mon ace, when you beat them the Yalies would have to deal with the fact that they lost to "New Britiain Teacher's College".

Consider it a sign of respect. If you guys sucked, of course they'd play you.

Not that Albany sucks, but losing to THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT ALBANY sounds better than losing to CCSU.

bulldog10jw
August 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM

For some reason you seem to think that game meant more to the Ivies than it did.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Congrats to the Albany guys on the great game, but come on Yale!!!!

If the Elis were willing to take on a NEC team at home, why not offer CCSU the chance to visit historic Yale Bowl? xnonono2x

If fact, I'm sure Central would have taken the ride down I-91 for free, without the guarantee! I'm not suggesting a Yale/Central matchup would replace the old UConn games, but come on be a good neighbor. The caliber of opponent is nearly identical, so why take Albany?

CCSU has developed a nice little rivalry with Yale win Womens soccer, so you are more than willing to schedule CCSU in other sports. I'm not happy about this as a CCSU fan. :(

I happen to agree 100% on this. It's a travesty that CCSU is playing second banana to Albany in their same state. Then again, Yale is so awash with cash that they could pay any guarantee they pretty much want.

Similarly, it is also a travesty that Army won't play their Patriot League brethren - in their own state or in bordering states - because their alumni would cry like girls that Army might get "downgraded" to the PL level.

Then again, who said that schools make sense all the time? xcoolx

DetroitFlyer
August 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM
For some reason you seem to think that game meant more to the Ivies than it did.

I have no doubt that prior to the game, EVERY fan of the Ivy League viewed a game against a PFL foe as a sure win. (Even though Yale was lucky to escape with a W the last time they played Dayton in Ohio). USD opened up some eyes that day.... The top PFL teams could hang with many FCS teams. I do believe that Ivy League teams do not want to risk losing to a PFL team. Maybe as the PFL continues to win games against traditional FCS conferences, the Ivy League will not view a loss to a PFL team as a "bad" loss. I have heard from several sources in San Diego that Ivy League teams are not interested in playing USD.... (Jim Harbaugh has moved on to Stanford).

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well and scratch my head over the CCSU situation.... Maybe CCSU and Yale will hook up the same year that YSU and Dayton hook up....

Dane96
August 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
DUDE...WHAT THE FWCK. I am going to neg rep you if you hijack one more thread. How many NON-PFL or NON-Dayton threads can you hijack.

You are really starting to get on people's nerves. This is a UALBANY-YALE thread...and has NOTHING...NOTHING to do with Dayton.

You are going to say well "Dayton played them and I want to play again," but that means I could go hijack every thread that features any team Albany played and would like to play again. This is an NEC/IVY/ALBANY/YALE thread.

GROW UP!

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
C'mon ace, when you beat them the Yalies would have to deal with the fact that they lost to "New Britiain Teacher's College".

Consider it a sign of respect. If you guys sucked, of course they'd play you.

Not that Albany sucks, but losing to THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT ALBANY sounds better than losing to CCSU.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason, but I'm waiting to confirm if they really avoided us or we just couldn't work it out.

A loss to UA will sting for a season, but Yale will get over it. However a loss to CCSU would leave a very sour taste in their moth and the Register would wonder if that is the final demise of Yale ande the Ivy League. Who would imagine that lowly Central could ruin the reputation of Yale and the Ivy League with a football game.

Yale will/has played us in almost any other sport (including hoops where we usualy help their RPI), but football is a old tradition in New Haven. After losing to UConn for the last 10 years of that serise, I doubt they want take their chances with a 2nd-tier state school.

Don't they know Yale football (Walter Camp) was born in Hard Hittin' New Britain!

DetroitFlyer
August 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
DUDE...WHAT THE FWCK. I am going to neg rep you if you hijack one more thread. How many NON-PFL or NON-Dayton threads can you hijack.

You are really starting to get on people's nerves. This is a UALBANY-YALE thread...and has NOTHING...NOTHING to do with Dayton.

You are going to say well "Dayton played them and I want to play again," but that means I could go hijack every thread that features any team Albany played and would like to play again. This is an NEC/IVY/ALBANY/YALE thread.

GROW UP!

Boo hooxbawlingx I will feel free to post on ANY thread I feel like posting on DUDE! Unless I receive a "ban" from the powers that be, suck it up and move on. I just do not know how I am going to live with myself knowing that I got on your nerves....xlolx Neg rep away if it will help lower your blood pressure.

Dane96
August 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
And there you have it. I could give a ****...but people can't take you seriously.

DAYTON...DAYTON...DAYTON...nobody is talking about Dayton in a thread...so I will talk about them.

Enjoy your day...

Larryl9797
August 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the reason, but I'm waiting to confirm if they really avoided us or we just couldn't work it out.

A loss to UA will sting for a season, but Yale will get over it. However a loss to CCSU would leave a very sour taste in their moth and the Register would wonder if that is the final demise of Yale ande the Ivy League. Who would imagine that lowly Central could ruin the reputation of Yale and the Ivy League with a football game.

Yale will/has played us in almost any other sport (including hoops where we usualy help their RPI), but football is a old tradition in New Haven. After losing to UConn for the last 10 years of that serise, I doubt they want take their chances with a 2nd-tier state school.

Don't they know Yale football (Walter Camp) was born in Hard Hittin' New Britain!
Nailed it on the head AITH. The thought of loosing to a #2 State school chases alot of good regional rivalrys away an alot of sports.

Its not like Yale foot ball is really relavent in NH anymore. (Not like the early 1900s where they could pack the Yale Bowl and win National Championships)

Ivytalk
August 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe Yale's deal with Albany will inspire Harvard to play a totally new opponent or two in its upcoming open dates from 2010 on.xpeacex

bulldog10jw
August 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Its not like Yale foot ball is really relavent in NH anymore.

It's barely relevant on campus.

Actually, less relevant on campus than in the surrounding towns. There are still many oldtimers that go every week.

Larryl9797
August 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Actually, less relevant on campus than in the surrounding towns. There are still many oldtimers that go every week.
Agreed... xnodx
Its not that I dont enjoy going to Yale games.. I do.. Look at it in the context of where Yale football is today with where it _was_.. It Was the epicenter of College Football.

bulldog10jw
August 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Agreed... xnodx
Its not that I dont enjoy going to Yale games.. I do.. Look at it in the context of where Yale football is today with where it _was_.. It Was the epicenter of College Football.

xlolx xlolx Even I don't remember back that far. xlolx xlolx

Go...gate
August 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
We basically gained a home game out of this. We were slated to play at West Point in 2010. This looks like a one year deal with Albany, although Yale does have an open home date in 2013.

We also gained another home game in 2012 with Colgate coming to the Bowl. The home game against the Raiders replaced the road game at Army. Yale plays six home games in '12.

Great! That is an old series between Yale and Colgate. Nice to be playing again.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Much the same way at Princeton.

Seawolf97
August 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Maybe Yale's deal with Albany will inspire Harvard to play a totally new opponent or two in its upcoming open dates from 2010 on.xpeacex

First congratulations to Albany on a nice addition to their schedule. Should be a good game in a legendary setting.
Now to get that Harvard - Stonybrook home and away series rolling.xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
August 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM

There is a Fordham-Harvard home-and-home series scheduled to start in 2014, I think.

xthumbsupx

I think the last time we played was the early part of this decade. And we have Yale this year and in 2010.

As for Albany, it's a crying shame that our commitment for a return game with Dayton interrupted our series this year;) ;) ;) , but I'm looking forward to renewing that rivalry in 2009.

Husky Alum
August 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Northeastern [cough cough cough]

We will do a 4 for none with you, I'm sure if it. We're not totally new, but we won't ask for a return.

Seawolf97
August 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM

We will do a 4 for none with you, I'm sure if it. We're not totally new, but we won't ask for a return.

The Huskies and URI are two more teams I hope appear on our schedule. We do home and aways and two CAA teams would be great;)

Go...gate
August 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Still hoping to hear something from our AD re: Colgate-Northeastern home and home. We still have an open date in October 2011, and I'm betting that Air Force will buy its way out of our scheduled matchup in 2013. That may be where it fits in, as well.

YaleFootballFan
August 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I've always been in favor of Yale playing CCSU in football. It would be a great in-state rivalry, which this state hasn't had since the Yale/UConn series ended in 1998.

Unfortunately, a Yale/CCSU game will probably never happen. In Yale's eyes, they've got nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing a team like CCSU (and SHU for that matter). Yale has been known to carefully select its opponents just to save itself from embarrassment in the end, and its not just with football. Take men's ice hockey....for YEARS Quinnipiac had been bugging Yale to play them. It was only up until Quinnipiac joined the ECAC 4 years ago that they were forced to play the Bobcats. But in those last few years that Yale and QU didn't play each other, QU clearly had the better team. Yale knew it and that's why they never scheduled QU. Yale selfishly didn't want give up its claim as New Haven's top college hockey program.

For Yale, it's still hard for them to accept that UConn football is the top dog (no pun intended) in the state. Can you image ANOTHER state school over taking Yale in their marque sport? Forget it!

Husky Alum
August 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Still hoping to hear something from our AD re: Colgate-Northeastern home and home. We still have an open date in October 2011, and I'm betting that Air Force will buy its way out of our scheduled matchup in 2013. That may be where it fits in, as well.

Our former AD told me before he left last year that we had home/homes set up in 2010/2011/2012 with Albany, SBU, CCSU, and Colgate - not sure which years each school would appear, but I think we weren't going to play Albany and SBU in the same season, for some weird reason.

I also heard Holy Cross and NU will do another Home/Home starting sometime in the '10s after HC plays @ NU in 2009, but that's all hearsay.

Getting info our of our New AD isn't as easy as the old AD.

Dane96
August 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
You mean I actually get to go to Parsons...eat your food...and root for a team that is going to actually win the game.

;)

danefan
August 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
You mean I actually get to go to Parsons...eat your food...and root for a team that is going to actually win the game.

;)

Low blow. xsmhx xbawlingx We could have won the game last time we were at Parsons........:p Damn platoon system.

aceinthehole
August 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I've always been in favor of Yale playing CCSU in football. It would be a great in-state rivalry, which this state hasn't had since the Yale/UConn series ended in 1998.

Unfortunately, a Yale/CCSU game will probably never happen. In Yale's eyes, they've got nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing a team like CCSU (and SHU for that matter). Yale has been known to carefully select its opponents just to save itself from embarrassment in the end, and its not just with football. Take men's ice hockey....for YEARS Quinnipiac had been bugging Yale to play them. It was only up until Quinnipiac joined the ECAC 4 years ago that they were forced to play the Bobcats. But in those last few years that Yale and QU didn't play each other, QU clearly had the better team. Yale knew it and that's why they never scheduled QU. Yale selfishly didn't want give up its claim as New Haven's top college hockey program.

For Yale, it's still hard for them to accept that UConn football is the top dog (no pun intended) in the state. Can you image ANOTHER state school over taking Yale in their marque sport? Forget it!

I appericate your honesty. I've heard from pretty good sources that is exactly what happened. YALE DECLINED. From a Yalies perspective, I understand, but that sucks hard for CCSU fans. I surely think Central has a good chance to win, but it would be a great game. This isn't UConn where Yale had no chance to win. I'm not even asking for a yearly rivalry. But 1 game at the Bowl every 4 years or so would have been perfect. Clearly we need the game more than you and that won't ever change, so I doubt we will ever see that matchup. They didn't want to take the chance and be third fiddle to the public schools.

---
Now, as for the Yale/QU unholy alliance - I just don't get it. Again, I understand why Yale avoided QU in hockey and other sports since they moved to DI. It makes sense for the Elis to remain the big dog in town. But what happened to change that? Yale went out of its way to support QU to the ECAC and even let them use the Yale Whale for a few home games before the TDBanknorth Center was completed. Why?

Listen, Yale is a great institution. I have nothing but respect for them. However, QU is another situation. I feel that AD is trying to buy his way out of the NEC at any cost. He has no respect or loyalty to fellow conference members.

Don't think we don't notice the little things they do. At the new QU rink, the QU banner is centered between Yale and Harvard; and the ECAC logo was dispayed on the dasher boards. However on the hoop court for the first season, there was no NEC logo. They finally installed it much smaller fashion than any other NEC court logo at other schools. I don't even know if they hang banners for the NEC schools.

They switched conferences 3 times in Men's Lax, always looking for better peers! They seem to act like a rich kid who is most concered about who he is seen with.

Dane96
August 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Low blow. xsmhx xbawlingx We could have won the game last time we were at Parsons........:p Damn platoon system.

:D Shyte for brains...I was ribbing HUSKY! I was referring to ALBANY WINNING!xnodx xthumbsupx I woudn't go against the boys. Plus, we owe the fwckers an ass-whuppin for those two nasty losses they pinned on us early on.

Husky Alum
August 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM

You could have won the game the last time you were at Parsons.

I could be Pope some day.

Neither have/had any chance of happening.

Dane, I could be enticed to go back to the Bowl for a game if the dates work out and if NU isn't home/playing close to home when you play Yale.

I'll show you some of my haunts from the younger days, and the bars where Tom Brennan used to hit on the Yale students when he was the head basketball coach there.

bulldog10jw
August 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'll show you some of my haunts from the younger days, and the bars where Tom Brennan used to hit on the Yale students when he was the head basketball coach there.

Yeah, but I can no longer take anybody to the Milford "strip". We used to start at Jake's , move down to the Office Cafe, cross the street to the 7 Seas, and then finish up at Fibber's. And all within walking distance.

Getting home was a problem, though.

Is the 7 Seas the only one left? Hell, you might not even remember the others.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Something for all CCSU fans to remember here is that Yale's endowment is larger than that of the ENTIRE budget of Connecticut. Money or cost savings is really no consideration (witness the games vs. San Diego). Even quality of play/opposition isn't a big concern since the Ivy League for the most part doesn't do a very good job promoting the sport, let alone at Yale itself (where posters here concede that students basically don't care, except when Harvard/Yale rolls around).

If there's no reason financially to save money and if there's no desire to promote the sport locally - and a loss to a "state school" would cause a loss of face with aging fans - Yale won't do anything unless (somehow) forced to do so.

This is decidedly NOT the case with most Ivy schools - examples that leap to mind is Cornell and Dartmouth, who joke that their OOC schedules are already set for the next decade since they always play the same (regional) opponents. It's no coincidence that the teams that are playing in more exotic, faraway locations are the richest schools (Yale, Princeton). Harvard has tried to develop good local rivalries (Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette) but if they were to start to add games with San Diego, Jacksonville or the like I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Increasingly, H-Y-P are basically playing by their own set of financial rules.

aceinthehole
August 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Something for all CCSU fans to remember here is that Yale's endowment is larger than that of the ENTIRE budget of Connecticut. Money or cost savings is really no consideration (witness the games vs. San Diego). Even quality of play/opposition isn't a big concern since the Ivy League for the most part doesn't do a very good job promoting the sport, let alone at Yale itself (where posters here concede that students basically don't care, except when Harvard/Yale rolls around).

If there's no reason financially to save money and if there's no desire to promote the sport locally - and a loss to a "state school" would cause a loss of face with aging fans - Yale won't do anything unless (somehow) forced to do so.

This is decidedly NOT the case with most Ivy schools - examples that leap to mind is Cornell and Dartmouth, who joke that their OOC schedules are already set for the next decade since they always play the same (regional) opponents. It's no coincidence that the teams that are playing in more exotic, faraway locations are the richest schools (Yale, Princeton). Harvard has tried to develop good local rivalries (Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette) but if they were to start to add games with San Diego, Jacksonville or the like I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Increasingly, H-Y-P are basically playing by their own set of financial rules.

LFN - I understand, its not about money at all. Yale has no good reason to play CCSU, other than being a good neighbor (just like they've done to QU in hockey). If I were their AD I'd also politley pass on a game with Central Connecticut.

But the kicker is they just took another NEC team, a public school no less from nearby Albany, which is just stones throw from New Haven. Chances are they lose to the Great Danes, so why take this game?

If I'm Yale, I call San Diego again. Maybe Cal Poly and UC-Davis for some road games on the West Coast. Find PL teams like Fordham and Georetown in major alumni areas. This is all logical to me, I know how the game works. Go where your alumni are or take on similar programs at home. Schedule games vs. like-minded, mostly private, academically strong schools. CCSU isn't that profile, no biggie.

But the Albany game is almost the same thing. They aren't going on the road to Upstate and they might very well lose at home to an inferior program.* I just don't get that.

*No disrespect to the Dane fans, but you know what I mean.

Husky Alum
August 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah, but I can no longer take anybody to the Milford "strip". We used to start at Jake's , move down to the Office Cafe, cross the street to the 7 Seas, and then finish up at Fibber's. And all within walking distance.

Getting home was a problem, though.

Is the 7 Seas the only one left? Hell, you might not even remember the others.

I'm not THAT young..lol. I remember going to Milford-Stratford football games on Thanksgiving Day.

Jakes was there the last I checked (Although the Capitol Theater is gone), the Office was there as late as the mid 1990s, and Fibber's is now Archie Moore's. Milford Seafood now has a place next to where the Capitol was that has a nice bar - you could add that to the Milford strip.

Bobby Valentiine's is no longer Bobby Valentine's (It's the Gipper).

bulldog10jw
August 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not THAT young..lol. I remember going to Milford-Stratford football games on Thanksgiving Day.

I remember when Law opened. ;)

It's strange that when Milford had one high school the football teams were mostly mediocre. When Law opened in 1962, except for the first year, they had mostly excellent teams. Just shows how important coaching can be. Vito Devito was a very good coach.

Husky Alum
August 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
I remember when Law opened. ;)

It's strange that when Milford had one high school the football teams were mostly mediocre. When Law opened in 1962, except for the first year, they had mostly excellent teams. Just shows how important coaching can be. Vito Devito was a very good coach.

Now that the Ivies did away with the freshmen program, do you know if Vito is still coaching the freshmen at Yale.

(and for those who don't live in the sphere that bulldog10jw and I grew up in, YES his name IS Vito DeVito).

Foran won a State Title in 1994 and Law made the semi's last year.

Other than that, our hometown isn't known for much from a football standpoint.

The Offensive Coordinator at Iowa is an MHS grad, and Kevin Long was All Yankee Conference at Villanova in the early 1990s. Other than that we haven't had a ton of football success.