PDA

View Full Version : Bits of Tid from Fordham

Fordham
August 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
1. Fordham Football Sets Numerous Strength and Conditioning Records (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081508aaa.html)

Fordham Football Sets Numerous Strength & Conditioning Records
15 School Marks Fall in 2008

Aug. 15, 2008
Bronx, N.Y. - Prior to the opening of the 2008 Fordham University football camp, the defending Patriot League champions underwent strength and conditioning testing under the direction of strength and conditioning coach Ted Perlak. And the results were record-breaking, as 15 school marks fell during the testing period, led by juniors Jason Caldwell and Isiejah Allen, who each set two.

Caldwell, a wide receiver, set school marks in the vertical jump, with a jump of 43' 5" while also setting a new school mark in the broad jump, with a leap of 10' 8.5". Allen, also a wide receiver, was responsible for new records in the long shuttle with a time of 11.18 seconds and the "L" drill with a time of 6.39 seconds.

In the weight room, new marks were set in the hang clean and back squat for all three position categories. For the offensive and defensive linemen, sophomore defensive lineman Sam Pitts set a record with a 340-pound hang clean while junior linebacker Andre Delaire set a new mark for linebackers/full backs/tights ends with a 365-pound hang clean. Not to be outdone, junior quarterback John Skelton set a new record for the skills position with a 315-point hang clean.

For the back squat, junior defensive lineman Darzell Wright squatted a total of 695 pounds for a new offensive/defensive lineman record while senior tight end Cody Kritzer squatted 605 pounds to set the mark for linebackers/full backs/tights ends. Junior defensive back Brandon Brown totaled 530 pounds in the event to break the record for skills players.

On the field, new 40-yard dash records were set for all three positions. Freshman defensive lineman Andy Okonkwo ran a 4.65 while junior linebacker James Crockett covered the 40-yards in 4.49 seconds and sophomore running back Xavier Martin turned in a team-best 4.30 seconds.

In the pro-shuttle, senior defensive back Kennith Thompson set a new school record with a time of 3.81 seconds.

Fordham Football Record Board & 2008 Bests

The Rams, who went 8-4 last year while winning their second Patriot League title, will open their 2008 season on Saturday, September 6th when they host the University of Rhode Island on Jack Coffey Field at 6:00 p.m. For ticket information contact the Fordham Ticket Office at 718-817-4300.

2. Fordham Hoops' Dan Landisch Joins Football Team (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/landisch_dan00.html). He's 6'6 240lbs - seemingly a great red zone target.

Joins the football squad after spending first two years at Fordham with the men's basketball program... a First Team All-Conference and Hnorable Mention All-Area pick at wide receiver in high school... brings size and depth to the receiving corps.

Before Fordham: Wrapped up his career at Marquette High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, averaging 22.2 ppg, leading the team and ranking 17th in the state of Wisconsin, along with 7.0 rpg and 2.3 steals/game...An Honorable Mention All-Star selection...Was named First Team All-Greater Metro Conference as well as Honorable Mention All-Area in 2005-06 by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and the Most Valuable Player at the 2006 Terry Porter Classic...Also competed with the football team at Marquette, catching 40 passes for 514 yards and four touchdowns as a split end for the Hilltoppers...Earned Honorable Mention All-State honors in football...Named Honorable Mention All-Area by the Journal-Sentinel and First Team All-Greater Metro Conference at WR as a senior...Named one of the top 100 High School Football Players in the state of Wisconsin by Scout.com.

3. WR Rouglas Odor transfers from West Virginia to Fordham (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/odor_rouglas00.html)

Joins Fordham after spending two years at West Virginia... did not see varsity action with the Mountaineers... brings depth to the Rams' receiving corps in 2008... has an outstanding work ethic.

Before Fordham: A graduate of Jesuit High School in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he was a member of the football and basketball teams... had his senior season wiped out by Hurricane Katrina ... also an AAU basketball standout... received an Accelerated Program Diploma for completing a five-year program above and beyond the school's ordinary requirements at Jesuit High School... a TOPS Opportunity Award recipient.

Our WR corps was already very strong and the addition of these 2 along with some of the incoming frosh really make it an unbelievable group imo. Landisch provides a really intriguing red zone prospect. And I don't know much about Odor but it will be interesting to see what he can do.

turbodean
August 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Excellent, I think our air attack with Skelton and company is going to be pretty impressive.

I have heard that the 2008 Media Guide is out in print. Do you heard anything about when it will become available online? The team's web page still has the 2007 posted.

ngineer
August 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
1. Fordham Football Sets Numerous Strength and Conditioning Records (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081508aaa.html)

2. Fordham Hoops' Dan Landisch Joins Football Team (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/landisch_dan00.html). He's 6'6 240lbs - seemingly a great red zone target.

3. WR Rouglas Odor transfers from West Virginia to Fordham (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/odor_rouglas00.html)

Our WR corps was already very strong and the addition of these 2 along with some of the incoming frosh really make it an unbelievable group imo. Landisch provides a really intriguing red zone prospect. And I don't know much about Odor but it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Is this going to raise a stink?

Sorry, I couldn't help it....My bad..xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx

C-Mo
August 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
sound like you'll have another strong team. at least we'll get you in worcester (MA) this year.

actually, the league as a whole looks pretty good. 2 bid conference?

Larryl9797
August 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
The best coach Central had........

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx
It sucked when he split.

carney2
August 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The transfer from West Virginia is good news for the League. For any number of reasons we haven't seen much of this in the Patriot League while the "big kids" of FCS have been making a living off of it.

As for a "two bid conference," we can always hope. The problem is the balance. There are 4 or even 5 teams in the mix, and they could knock each other off to the extent that no one has a record capable of getting that second bid.

C-Mo
August 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
The transfer from West Virginia is good news for the League. For any number of reasons we haven't seen much of this in the Patriot League while the "big kids" of FCS have been making a living off of it.

As for a "two bid conference," we can always hope. The problem is the balance. There are 4 or even 5 teams in the mix, and they could knock each other off to the extent that no one has a record capable of getting that second bid.

it's tough for our league a get transfers because of the academic issues involved.

you're right about the 2 bids. we need to perform well against the ivies and steal some from the CAA.

Fordham
August 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
ng - ugh! xoopsx .... however, we can't hold you to a different standard than posters on our board who made similar 'jokes'.

Larryl - being pretty involved with the program overall, I have to say that I'm absolute awe of this staff and how they conduct pretty much every facet of the program. Unbelievable. <thank you>

carney & cmo (welcome aboard, by the way - great to have more PL guys here!) - 2 bids this year is a no brainer as long as we (collectively) take care of OOC business this year. I think all teams improved since last year ... but it will all be revealed in how we take care of our key OOC games. Key games against the Ivies, CAA and Furman are critical for our perception. If we do reasonably well, we'll have 2. If we don't, we won't .... and we don't deserve them either imo.

PS - turbodean - great to have another Fordham guy here as well!

Cobblestone
August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
You guys have always been a tough opponent for us. It looks like this year will be no different.

C-Mo
August 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Forham wrote

carney & cmo (welcome aboard, by the way - great to have more PL guys here!) - 2 bids this year is a no brainer as long as we (collectively) take care of OOC business this year. I think all teams improved since last year ... but it will all be revealed in how we take care of our key OOC games. Key games against the Ivies, CAA and Furman are critical for our perception. If we do reasonably well, we'll have 2. If we don't, we won't .... and we don't deserve them either imo.

now let's get scholies back and start making some real noise.

C-Mo
August 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Fordham wrote:

Larryl - being pretty involved with the program overall, I have to say that I'm absolute awe of this staff and how they conduct pretty much every facet of the program. Unbelievable. <thank you>

crusader fans are feeling the same way about Gilmore and Co. I hope we do what is necessary to keep him.

Fordham
August 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
crusader fans are feeling the same way about Gilmore and Co. I hope we do what is necessary to keep him.
Agreed - Gilmore has done a heck of a job getting HC turned around. A championship year by either of our clubs is likely to get either of our coaches bigger offers. It'll be interesting to see what happens if HC or Fordham wins it for that reason. I think we're both hoping that we have coaches that go the Tavani/Biddle route and try to cement their legacy at a PL school rather than chase opportunities elsewhere.

ngineer
August 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I agree that we could be a two bid conference SO LONG AS the top two teams take care of business in the OOC. If top two (or three) teams tie at 4-2, they'll have to lose know more than one OOC game to go 8-3.

bison137
August 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Has Landisch given up basketball completely?

turbodean
August 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure that's been made clear yet, but the upcoming year's basketball roster has been posted and Landisch is not on it... so that may be a good indication of his intentions.

Fordham
August 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
turbodean is correct but the word I've heard is that it's totally football now.

turbodean
August 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Funny coincidence, my neighbor played high school ball with his dad in Milwaukee.

bison137
August 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM
turbodean is correct but the word I've heard is that it's totally football now.

That makes sense because he could only play basketball as a non-scholarship walk-on. In any event, his stay at Fordham will be more expensive this year than it was his first two years.

Fordham
August 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
That makes sense because he could only play basketball as a non-scholarship walk-on. In any event, his stay at Fordham will be more expensive this year than it was his first two years.

you would assume so but who knows what the family finances are? i think it says alot about the value the family sees in a Fordham degree since he likely could have transferred down and received money to keep playing hoops somewhere else. it's nice that our hoops APR won't be negatively impacted by this move as well.

More than anything, it'll be very interesting to see what kind of an impact a very athletic, legit 6'6' 240 kid can have this year!