PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City Ad

DetroitFlyer
August 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
So, I am looking at the Circuit City ad in this weekend's paper.... They have football players featured in the TV ads.... OK, no big deal, right? Well, the featured players are all from the CAA. UMass, JMU and Richmond are all clearly featured. The team logos and the CAA logo are all clearly visible. So what is up with the CAA being featured in Circuit City ads? Maybe a CAA football fan works for the ad agency that produced the ad? Pretty cool! Nice exposure for FCS.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Circuit City's headquarters are in Richmond. I'm sure that doesn't hurt.

Eight Legger
August 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yep, CC is a Richmond company. They did similar ads featuring VCU basketball players all winter. A nice touch if you ask me. Hopefully we all get some press out of it before they go under in the next year or two...

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yep, CC is a Richmond company. They did similar ads featuring VCU basketball players all winter. A nice touch if you ask me. Hopefully we all get some press out of it before they go under in the next year or two...

yeah, copycatting Best Buy's strategies four or five years after the fact isn't exactly a great business plan. i'll be shocked if they're still in business in five years

bobbythekidd
August 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
There is a youtube of the add they ran a few years ago. It featured "the Run" Adrian Perteson made durring the 1999 champ game v/s YSU. There was a tread about it at gsufans. I think it comes down to rights or money. They can use football clips for cheap, instead of paying BCS schools or networks royalties.

If I was at home I would like to the youtube clip.

ButlerGSU
August 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
There is a youtube of the add they ran a few years ago. It featured "the Run" Adrian Perteson made durring the 1999 champ game v/s YSU. There was a tread about it at gsufans. I think it comes down to rights or money. They can use football clips for cheap, instead of paying BCS schools or networks royalties.

If I was at home I would like to the youtube clip.

Here is one of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJz-DSZUv1I

Retro
August 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Usually when you see TV ad's for whatever product and a TV is showing a football game, it's USFL or some non-distinctive team video so they don't have to pay any licensing fees to the school.. They usually select defunct teams (like usfl) or lower level college teams like Division II that don't have their image licensed..

mtgrizfan4life
August 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I like them using FCS programs. As for Circuit City verses Best Buy, I have a found a much better company for electronics that is way less expensive than those 2. I am not sure if they are regional or national, but Ultimate Electronics blow both away when shopping for HD TVs. I have found 56" to 72" 1080 hdtvs for 2500.00 to 3500.00 depending on brand. Yes they are the better known brands. I cannot wait until Christmas or Income Tax season, I will be getting one of those tvs there.