PDA

View Full Version : The Official Colgate/Lehigh Thread

colgate13
October 22nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
It's early the week to be doing this and it's late at night to be starting the thread, but why not? Time's a wasting for this annual matchup that often decides who gets to go to the playoffs from the Patriot League (no offense meant to Lafayette). Why not milk the most out of it?

The past two contests have gone to the home team, with the two before going to the away team. Colgate will be looking to break that trend at Andy Kerr.

Colgate sits atop the Patriot with Lafayette at 2-0. Lehigh is at 1-1 with both teams still on their schedule. They now control a portion of their destiny again.

Both teams put up impressive victorys this weekend. Lehigh would have been the preseason favorite to win here, but with the way Colgate has been playing and the fact that a sophomore will be making his second start against the Raiders might be enough to swing that to neutral or even Colgate's way.

Looking at past matchups, these games are always close. I think Colgate needs to score more than 17 to win, probably more than 24. After this week's performance and with some parent's weekend home game loving, I think they're up to the task.

Early prediction (subject to change during the week): Colgate 28 Lehigh 21. I think this Colgate team finally has that fire and hunger that has been missing since late 2003. We shall see!

lugo02
October 23rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
I've never made any predictions before. I always just beleive that Lehigh will win regardless of who they play. Maybe I just spoil because Lehigh was undefeated in regular season play in my freshman year ('98) and by the time I left in 2002 they had only lost 1 regular season game (colgate '99)

Maybe it's time that I make a prediction.
So here we go.
Colgate * Lehigh **
I'll fill in the numbers on Saturday night.

umassfan
October 23rd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Colgate will beat Lehigh and set themselfs up for the playoffs... this will mean UMass no longer has any ugly losses :D

LEHIGH61
October 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Don't be so concerned with Colgate-Lehigh. New Hampshire will be your worst nightmare!

ngineer
October 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Not just ready to pick the score, because there are some intangibles that need to be considered during the week, as well as the weather. Colgate has to be concerned over that ability Threatt showed yesterday to both run and pass. Lembo acknowledged that he was not given the 'entire package' to work with, so we'll see how that transforms. Biddle, obviously, was preparing for Borda--the more 'classic' drop back qb (though he would tuck it at times and take off, he is nowhere near the 'natural' runner Threatt is) to the very mobile Threatt.
Was impressed with the way Colgate shut down Silva (as I predicted they would do and force Holy Cross to beat them with O'Neil). This will give Lehigh something to think about since 'gate has a very experienced secondary. The matchup with Lehigh's veteran receivers should be interesting. Lehigh's running game has shown significant life the last three weeks, with not only Rath, but Thompson and FB Fay becoming more pronounced in the mix.
Lehigh's special teams have been very good so far. Frosh punter Leo, again, has an excellent day punting as he did versus Yale getting off nice high punts being downed inside the opponents 10. Musiek has been much pretty consistent, but lacks distance should a long range fg be necessary. Frosh Leo has the leg to hit from 50+, but has never been in a pressure situation in college. The return game has been excellent with Walker on KO and Petroskey on PRs (had a 65 yarder called back on a senseless penalty yesterday.).
Hopefully, LB and co-capt. Graziani's shoulder is healed enough to play (held out against Bucknell). An aggressive defensive effort will be needed against a Raider offense that has shown great strides the past four weeks. I think the coda will be to stop the run first considering Colgate's success against HC. Lehigh also ran well against HC.
The weather will impact the stategies of both coaches. Hamilton in late October can be cold and/or very windy--thereby effecting the passing game.
Should precipitation show up, then we have the great unkown.
Obviously, I believe Lehigh will win this game, but would be shocked if either team wins by more than one score. These confrontations have also, of late, been fairly low-scoring affairs (<50 pts combined). Lehigh's last win in Hamilton was 2001, 25-22, and I think something in that range will recur.
This will then set up the Colgate-Lafayette battle on November 5 in Easton, which if won by Colgate, SHOULD have the effect of having four PL teams tied for first with one loss each with two weeks to play. Colgate would have the easier road home with games against Bucknell and Georgetown, while Lafayette then faces HC before the 141st Donnebrook on November 19.
This is not to be dismissive of Georgetown, Fordham and Bucknell for we all know that on AGS, any of these three could rise up and bite someone seriously --especially the Hoyas with sights on a possible winning season. However, the season has gradually shown where the dividing line is in the League, all things considered. :read:

umassfan
October 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Don't be so concerned with Colgate-Lehigh. New Hampshire will be your worst nightmare!
Our defense could be UNHs worst nightmare like last year ;)

colgate13
October 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Some good news for both teams: Colgate was fortunate to play away games on both weekends that were crappy. Andy Kerr is surprisingly good shape and should be a non issue.

Some things I want to research: Is Rath a better runner than Silva? Does LU have more experience at offensive line than HC? Who is LU's #2 and #3 receiver? How are LU's d backs?

This will be one to obsess over! Of course, if umassfan keeps rooting for Colgate, I might die of a heart attack before game time! :)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Some things I want to research: Is Rath a better runner than Silva? Does LU have more experience at offensive line than HC? Who is LU's #2 and #3 receiver? How are LU's d backs?

Nope, nothing to see here folks, Just revel, revel in your win against mighty Holy Cross... Please pay no mind to the Engineers to the south preparing to play you...

Still have Chris Brown at QB? How is Jamaal Branch this year? :D

colgate13
October 24th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Nope, nothing to see here folks, Just revel, revel in your win against mighty Holy Cross... Please pay no mind to the Engineers to the south preparing to play you...

Still have Chris Brown at QB? How is Jamaal Branch this year? :D

Somehow I have a feeling Colgate won't have a problem realizing they have to play Lehigh this week... :p

Fordham
October 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Will this one be on TV? I'd love to Tivo it while at the HC game this weekend. This should be a great one. I have to say that I'm so impressed with what Biddle gets out of his squad - it's really remarkable, particularly given the opening week this year.

Hope it's a barnburner.

LBPop
October 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
How is Jamaal Branch this year?

As LFN knew when he wrote this, Jamaal Branch has reappeared as Jordan Scott. ;)

Ball control is a beautiful thing and frustrates the hell out of a defense. I do have a question, however. I have seen no comments on the toll it might take on a freshman when he carries the ball 45 times. Obviously, Biddle and his staff don't need me to alert them to this, so I am assuming that Scott is handling it well physically. Just seems to me that an 18 year old might break down under that kind of load. Anyone else considering this?

colgate13
October 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Will this one be on TV? I'd love to Tivo it while at the HC game this weekend. This should be a great one. I have to say that I'm so impressed with what Biddle gets out of his squad - it's really remarkable, particularly given the opening week this year.

Hope it's a barnburner.

It's on TV in central New York. I think someone in the Lehigh area would have to pick it up for you to see it.

You could always make the drive! :D

colgate13
October 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
As LFN knew when he wrote this, Jamaal Branch has reappeared as Jordan Scott. ;)

Ball control is a beautiful thing and frustrates the hell out of a defense. I do have a question, however. I have seen no comments on the toll it might take on a freshman when he carries the ball 45 times. Obviously, Biddle and his staff don't need me to alert them to this, so I am assuming that Scott is handling it well physically. Just seems to me that an 18 year old might brIeak down under that kind of load. Anyone else considering this?

I think that's the kind of back we recruit. We want workhorses that get stronger with more carries. Scott looked fine performance wise; I think the goal is to have a few of these horses in the stable should injuries arise. Case in point - Scott was the what, 4th stringer starting the season? We've got two seniors sitting the bench behind Scott if something were to happen.

blukeys
October 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Ball control is a beautiful thing and frustrates the hell out of a defense. I do have a question, however. I have seen no comments on the toll it might take on a freshman when he carries the ball 45 times. Obviously, Biddle and his staff don't need me to alert them to this, so I am assuming that Scott is handling it well physically. Just seems to me that an 18 year old might break down under that kind of load. Anyone else considering this?

Omar Cuff carried for 39 times on Saturday and caught 3 passes for a total of 42 touches. It seemed to work well for Delaware. Cuff is a true sophomore and was not redshirted his freshman year. My recollection is that Colgate also used Branch in a similar manner in '03.

LEHIGH61
October 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Lehigh has 6 excellent wide receivers in Gerran Walker, Kevin Zebluim, Adam Kovacs, Lee Thomas, Winifred Porter, and Aaron Argenta, all seniors except Thomas, who may be the best of the bunch. They are loaded at the position.

The offensive line is very experienced with good size - IMO much better than Holy Cross.

DB's Kaloma Cardwell and Drew Nelson are very good.

Don't use he Holy Cross game to assess any specific weakness in Lehigh. It would be a big mistake. THAT GAME WAS A MAJOR "FLUKE". If you don't believe it. watch the video.

ngineer
October 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
It's on TV in central New York. I think someone in the Lehigh area would have to pick it up for you to see it.

You could always make the drive! :D

Game will be televised on Channel 69, WFMZ-TV out of Allentown, PA. Channel 7 on RCN Cable in the Lehigh Valley area.

ngineer
October 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Glad to hear the field is in good shape. Although as I type, Ihear we're going to get a good nor'easter tomorrow dumping up to four inches of rain in the Delaware Valley area. The forecasters say that ths cold translate into snow up in the Catskills, so I don't know how much could accumulate in Hamilton. Do they cover the field in such a scenario? A good dump followed by a melt off could create a lot of muck. Played in one of those post snow thaws a number of years ago and we couldn't see the numbers by halftime :D
Rath is a great 'mudder' as shown versus Holy Cross. HOwever, Greg Fay the fullback is starting to show his stuff the past two weeks, and at 234 lbs, he can be a force between the tackles. His blocking at Bucknell and versus Yale was very good.
As posted earlier, the wr's were one of Lehigh's strengths coming in this year and remain so. No one can key on any one receiver, although Walker and Porter are the deep threats. The O-line has been doing a good job. They were considered the 'suspect' area for the season and have performed beyond expectations. If any area has 'under-achieved, I think it is the secondary. They have been depleted by injury and some frosh have gotten baptized, but they have also improved over the past 1 1/2 games. Second half of Yale may have resulted in a quick maturation. ;) Special teams have improved from last year. Overall, this is a better team than the one the beat Colgate last year. The diversified skills of Threatt make it more difficult to defend, although there could be errors due to youth down the road.
Assuming no 'foul' weather, I see Lehigh winning a 'typical' Colgate game. Maybe a little higher scoring than my original thought--28-24.

ngineer
October 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Glad to hear the field is in good shape. Although as I type, Ihear we're going to get a good nor'easter tomorrow dumping up to four inches of rain in the Delaware Valley area. The forecasters say that ths cold translate into snow up in the Catskills, so I don't know how much could accumulate in Hamilton. Do they cover the field in such a scenario? A good dump followed by a melt off could create a lot of muck. Played in one of those post snow thaws a number of years ago and we couldn't see the numbers by halftime :D
Rath is a great 'mudder' as shown versus Holy Cross. HOwever, Greg Fay the fullback is starting to show his stuff the past two weeks, and at 234 lbs, he can be a force between the tackles. His blocking at Bucknell and versus Yale was very good.
As posted earlier, the wr's were one of Lehigh's strengths coming in this year and remain so. No one can key on any one receiver, although Walker and Porter are the deep threats. The O-line has been doing a good job. They were considered the 'suspect' area for the season and have performed beyond expectations. If any area has 'under-achieved, I think it is the secondary. They have been depleted by injury and some frosh have gotten baptized, but they have also improved over the past 1 1/2 games. Second half of Yale may have resulted in a quick maturation. ;) Special teams have improved from last year. Overall, this is a better team than the one the beat Colgate last year. The diversified skills of Threatt make it more difficult to defend, although there could be errors due to youth down the road.
Assuming no 'foul' weather, I see Lehigh winning a 'typical' Colgate game. Maybe a little higher scoring than my original thought--28-24.

JohnG
October 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Game will be televised on Channel 69, WFMZ-TV out of Allentown, PA. Channel 7 on RCN Cable in the Lehigh Valley area.
It is also on FCS Atlantic and FSN Pittsburgh which is available nationwide on DirecTV 628

JohnG
October 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I sure as hell hope the weather is nice this week in Hamilton. After already having stood through two very wet games this year I would enjoy another pleasant saturday, preferably like what we had against yale (yes I know that I am probably dreaming).

I was looking at directions on how to get up there and mapquest suggests 22E to 33N to 80W to 380N to 81N and I was wondering if that would be quicker then taking the turnpike up to 81N? Thanks

colgate13
October 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I was looking at directions on how to get up there and mapquest suggests 22E to 33N to 80W to 380N to 81N and I was wondering if that would be quicker then taking the turnpike up to 81N? Thanks

A hell of a lot quicker. Don't go out to the turnpike. Wrong direction. Plus you can stop at the outlets in Tannersville and do some shopping! Yikes... I think I just channelled my wife!:eek:

Oh, and as for the weather forecast - low 50s and sunny. Right now though, first threat of snow. Right on schedule: snow by Halloween! :)

ngineer
October 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
It is also on FCS Atlantic and FSN Pittsburgh which is available nationwide on DirecTV 628

Great--maybe I'll be able to pick it up in Orlando at the hotel...gotta get the wife to go shopping :D

LEHIGH61
October 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I don't think Colgate has faced an offense as powerful and diverse as Lehigh's. Colgate's defense looks tough statistically. The only problem for Lehigh would be the inexperience of Threatt against that tough defense. But I know Lehigh is on a mission!

Here's hoping the weather is decent.

DC 'gater
October 25th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I sure as hell hope the weather is nice this week in Hamilton. After already having stood through two very wet games this year I would enjoy another pleasant saturday, preferably like what we had against yale (yes I know that I am probably dreaming).

That's the way to go. The slowest part of the trip will be routes 12 and 12B. Especially if you get stuck behind a slow moving pickup or farm equipment. Also it could be 50 degrees and sunny for your entire trip, until you get to Sherburne, NY about 10 miles south of Hamilton. Then it could be a blizzard. Welcome to the Chenango Valley. :p

colgate13
October 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think Colgate has faced an offense as powerful and diverse as Lehigh's.

God, I can't believe I'm going to do this but...

UMass and Cornell don't rank as high statistically as the Engineers, but they both had pretty good offenses. Again though, that's not the match up I'm concerned with the most.

I'm looking more at the defensive backs of Lehigh as the #1 issue, then the defensive line. We all know that Lehigh has a good rushing defense. If Colgate can't get anything going in the air, we're dead in the water. Statistically, Lehigh isn't as strong in that department. We also need to give Saraceno some time and he also needs the option to run it.

If Colgate can have an air attack, the rushing game will open up just fine. Without it, I don't like our chances.

colgate13
October 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
It is currently SNOWING in Hamilton as I type this. Forecast is still sunny for the weekend. Friday is sunny too, so Andy Kerr should dry a little, but for now it is wet!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2005, 05:54 PM
It is currently SNOWING in Hamilton as I type this. Forecast is still sunny for the weekend. Friday is sunny too, so Andy Kerr should dry a little, but for now it is wet!

I know Saturday i'll be thinking the same thing i always do when riding along on that country road for what seems like an endless period of time,"Why in 1812 did Mr. Colgate build a school in Hamilton, NY". There's nothing there in 2005, i could only imagine it 150 years ago. It's a great school but it's deffinately only for the hardiest of souls. I was interested in Syracuse, thinking back i don't know if i could have made it through the winters there and that's a fairly large city. Colgate is a great school and it does have some charm, but something about that place seems to put a hex on opposing teams. BTW, I've always wondered what is considered a "chamber of commerce" day in Hamilton? 30 degrees, snow flurries? I'm teasin though, Colgate deffinately has the most personality in the PL based on it's location.

blukeys
October 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I don't think Colgate has faced an offense as powerful and diverse as Lehigh's. Colgate's defense looks tough statistically. The only problem for Lehigh would be the inexperience of Threatt against that tough defense. But I know Lehigh is on a mission!

Here's hoping the weather is decent.

I would agree with this if Borda was still at the helm but that is not the case. I have no doubt that Threatt is an exceptional athlete but Colgate has enough film to come up with a defensive game plan to take away his strengths. Borda is a smart and accurate QB who knew the Lehigh offense inside and out. He was great at keeping the opponents off balance and I don't know if Threatt is quite there. This will be a tight game and I give Gate the edge due to home field and what I believe is an opportunistic and tough D. That being said nothing in the PL, A-10 or all of I-AA NOTHING will surprise me at this stage.

By the way Colgate never seems to have a problem with Weather ;)

colgate13
October 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
By the way Colgate never seems to have a problem with Weather ;)

:nod: :nod: :nod:

How much you want to bet that Biddle has his crew out practicing in this slop today? No indoor easy practice (we have a facility) for this team.

colgate13
October 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I know Saturday i'll be thinking the same thing i always do when riding along on that country road for what seems like an endless period of time,"Why in 1812 did Mr. Colgate build a school in Hamilton, NY". There's nothing there in 2005, i could only imagine it 150 years ago. It's a great school but it's deffinately only for the hardiest of souls. I was interested in Syracuse, thinking back i don't know if i could have made it through the winters there and that's a fairly large city. Colgate is a great school and it does have some charm, but something about that place seems to put a hex on opposing teams. BTW, I've always wondered what is considered a "chamber of commerce" day in Hamilton? 30 degrees, snow flurries? I'm teasin though, Colgate deffinately has the most personality in the PL based on it's location.

I get the tease. It's really a "to each their own" deal. Some of us actually like the remote, rural location with 'interesting' weather! By comparison, I would never have considered Georgetown or Fordham because they were in a city. Even Bethlehem and Easton are a bit much for me. Lewisburg might be the only PL school I could have seen myself at. It really came down to Colgate, Dartmouth and Cornell. Ithaca is a city I guess, but what I am trying to say is Hamilton is really not a negative point when recruiting. It builds a great sense of community and students really bond with this place, maybe more so than at some other places.

ngineer
October 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM

I heard that Colgate is keeping the grass long to slow down Lehigh--anything to it.?
I don't disagree with Blukey's view that the achillies heel for Lehigh could be the void left by Borda's injury. Threatt will certainly be tested by a stout defense that has had an opportunity to see some film on him. I wouldn't be surprised if Biddle and Company hasn't pulled out some old film of Brant Hall to plan for some possible use of schemes used back in that 'era.'
I just have a good 'gut' feel, after listening to the Bucknell game, and listening to the players comments about Sedale, that he'll handle the situation very well. The ultimate key will be protecting the ball--eliminating or at least keeping an edge on the turnovers.
I expect (hope) that Wilcher comes up with a good pressure scheme on the QB--I do expect Lehigh to do it's job controlling the run--the key being the Lehigh cb's.

lugo02
October 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I am almost ready to go on record with my first prediction ever...
At the very lease I expect Lehigh to Win but what I really want to see is a Hardvard like beating.
Lehigh 49 Colgate 24

ngineer
October 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I am almost ready to go on record with my first prediction ever...
At the very lease I expect Lehigh to Win but what I really want to see is a Hardvard like beating.
Lehigh 49 Colgate 24

With a result like that, I'll fly home from Florida sans the jet :D

TheValleyRaider
October 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Despite the fact that I can look out my window and see snow falling, the weather should be good for Saturday. Even though it's snowing, it's still very mild. I suppose they could be growing the grass long for Saturday, but given the weather, it may turn into slop by the end of the first quarter anyway. With the exception of a few days late last week it has been raining almost constantly for the last several weeks, and then started snowing tonite. They've gotten fairly lucky in terms of the field holding up with only one home game in that stretch, but it'll be interesting to see if/how long it holds.

Colgate's got a tough, veteran D that's really been stepping it up in the last couple of weeks, even more so than the high level they started the season at. If the offense can continue to minimize the turnovers (like they've done in every game other than CCSU and Dartmouth), and put together a few long scoring drives like they did last week, I think Colgate wins it.

Threatt is the biggest X-factor in this game, obviously. It'll be interesting to see if Colgate can get pressure on him early, either force some early mistakes or at least let him know the D is there. It's one thing for him to be facing a Bucknell team that's been watching it's season evaporate; playing a tough Colgate team with something to prove in Hamilton seems like a bit of a step up. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Matt Dougherty (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm) seems to think Colgate is too tough for Lehigh to beat:

Even if Scott is contained, Colgate’s defense will prove too tough for Threatt and the Mountain Hawks to handle. Threatt is talented and will be a good player in time, but playing well against a team that has wins in 19 of its last 20 home games is too much to ask right now. Five out of the last six meetings in the series have been decided by seven points or less, and this one should be no different. This time, Colgate ends Lehigh’s playoff hopes and moves to 3-0 in the Patriot League with a home win. Prediction: Colgate 20, Lehigh 17

I like Matt, but this bulletin board material will be prominently featured today in my blog...

LEHIGH61
October 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Graz is listed as "doubtful" in Game Notes. We definitely need him in there to sew it up! Any additional info out there?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Graz is listed as "doubtful" in Game Notes. We definitely need him in there to sew it up! Any additional info out there?

I have to think that's Lembo trying to be tricky. Graz could have played last week, he warmed up without his uni, but instead took the day off. I don't see anyway he doesn't play unless the injury re-occurred. I'm not too concerned about him not playing. Everyone looked pretty healthy after the game other than those who sat out and they, including Graz, were running around during warmups.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2005, 08:47 PM

I have to think that's Lembo trying to be tricky. Graz could have played last week, he warmed up without his uni, but instead took the day off. I don't see anyway he doesn't play unless the injury re-occurred. Everyone else looked pretty healthy after the game other than those who sat out and they, including Graz, were running around during warmups. For this time of the year Lehigh is pretty healthy other than Borda. The one key has been the lack of injuries along the D and OL. The OL has been a solid group all year and seem to be getting better every game. Usually the Lehigh-Colgate game is won in the trenches. Lehigh controlled Colgates D and OL last year and Colgate's DL dominated Lehigh's OL in 2003, i can still remember Keating running for his life all day. If Lehigh's OL can win it's match with Colgates DL i think Lehigh wins this game. If Rath rushes for 80-90 yards and Threatt has time and isn't forced to make quick decisions, Lehigh will have controlled the game offensively. I think Lehigh's DL has proven to be just as good as Colgates, i think Lehigh's offensive line is just a little bit better than Colgates and will hopefeully prove my theory right.

ngineer
October 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Matt Dougherty (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm) seems to think Colgate is too tough for Lehigh to beat:

I like Matt, but this bulletin board material will be prominently featured today in my blog...
If I were a 'neutral' prognosticator relying mostly on third hand reports, I too would be picking Colgate. BUT, we've SEEN what Threatt can do and the tools around him are numerous. If all cylinders are clicking Lehigh will put up enough points to win this. I call a repeat of 2001, 25-22.
I'll be winging southward tomorrow morning, but I'll be in Hamilton on Saturday, in spirit! :D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM
My Lehigh/Colgate preview is up. A must-read - and maybe even a bit surprising.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

It should be obvious that I'm worried about this game. Andy Kerr is never an easy place to play. I do not have any doubt about the heart and desire of this Lehigh team to win and succeed, and with their proverbial backs against the wall Lehigh will play to the hilt. Every Mountain Hawk will have to step up, and I think everyone will. But Kerr is a strange place, and Colgate is the best team we have faced all year.

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM
My full scouting report will be out tomorrow, but here is my full prediction:

Like many a match up in the past decade, the annual Lehigh/Colgate game could be the deciding contest of this 2005 Patriot League season (no offense meant to Lafayette or Holy Cross). While the winner of this game will still have a few important battles ahead, they will also be that much closer to claiming the Patriot League title.

Lehigh spent last weekend beating up on Bucknell while breaking in a new sophomore quarterback, Sedale Threatt, in place of injured Mark Borda. Threatt performed admirably however this week's mission will be a more difficult one. Threat will be leading the Mountain Hawks into Andy Kerr to face a Colgate squad that has performed a 180 degree turn since their early season losses. The Raiders made a big statement to the league last Saturday dominating Holy Cross in Worcester.

There will be many match ups worth watching in this one. The Lehigh offense is high octane and diverse and will be facing a Colgate defense that is equally worthy of respect. On the other side of the ball, a stuttering Colgate offense has found some serious legs as of late, led by the outstanding play of Mike Saraceno at quarterback and freshman Jordan Scott at the tailback position. It is my opinion that the Lehigh defense, which is always a solid unit, against a surprisingly potent Colgate offense, that will be the biggest story of the day. If the Mountain Hawks can contain Scott and get to Saraceno, or cover the Raider receiving corps like glue, then Lehigh will head back to Bethlehem back in the contention for the league title.

However, one cannot deny that Colgate is on a roll. The game is at home for the Raiders and Lehigh will be looking to a mostly untested sophomore for playoff salvation. I also think the Colgate offense is under appreciated at this point.

I expect this game to be very close, very exciting and somewhat unpredictable. I also expect Colgate to continue to roll after being counted out early in the season. Biddle leads his troops to victory in this one behind solid defense and timely offensive play.

Predicted outcome: Colgate 27 Lehigh 24

FYI - why in the world would Colgate be trying to keep the grass long to slow Lehigh down? This team is one of the fastest in Colgate history. You might just be surprised. In reality, the grass is long because it's been wet and mid 50s. Perfect grass growing weather; bad grass cutting weather.

But either way, both teams have to play on it, and Andy Kerr is in as good a shape as you could ask a natural grass field to be in late October. It shouldn't be an issue.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM
...why in the world would Colgate be trying to keep the grass long to slow Lehigh down? ...

To negate Lehigh's overall team speed. Look at the Holy Cross/Lehigh game for evidence as what a slowed-down Lehigh team looks like.

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 01:52 PM
To negate Lehigh's overall team speed. Look at the Holy Cross/Lehigh game for evidence as what a slowed-down Lehigh team looks like.

My point is that Colgate has plenty of team speed. Why does someone think that Lehigh has more, other than pure homerism? :confused:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM
My point is that Colgate has plenty of team speed. Why does someone think that Lehigh has more, other than pure homerism? :confused:

No argument from me that Colgate has lots of team speed - I've seen DeLong play. I do see your point that long grass would affect both teams significantly - Colgate is not only "Scott and a cloud of dust" - far from it. But I can see why people might think that folks are letting the grass grow to slow down all of Lehigh's receivers.

I figure it's not true anyway :D

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
But I can see why people might think that folks are letting the grass grow to slow down all of Lehigh's receivers.

Besides Walker, who are Lehigh's speedy guys? I've been picturing them more as possesion recievers running good routes... Am I wrong?

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I just did my scouting report on my blog... Tell me where I'm wrong! :)

colgate13
October 28th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Weather update: snow flurries this morning (Friday). Saturday forecast: Stubborn clouds giving way to partial sun. High 45-50.

I hope those boys from Bethlehem don't let today's dreary day get them down in practice! :p

BigPapi
October 28th, 2005, 07:45 AM
colgate13,

I enjoy your blog, read it every week. good luck this weekend, looks to me like Colgate in a tight one.

colgate13
October 28th, 2005, 08:13 AM
colgate13,

I enjoy your blog, read it every week. good luck this weekend, looks to me like Colgate in a tight one.

So you're the one... :p

Seriously though, Muchas grascias! Don't forget to check out Lehigh Football Nation (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com) either. It's got a great write up from the other side.

I think this could be the first I-AA "Blog Bowl". Are there any other teams in I-AA this year that have faced off that have two active bloggers on either side?

LFN - we should make this an event somehow. Some kind of virtual 'jug' or bowl that we get to put on our site for the year as the annual winner of "Blog Bowl". Just need a graphic artist to create the image... anyone with some talent out there in AGS land? Are you interested LFN?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Seriously though, Muchas grascias! Don't forget to check out Lehigh Football Nation (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com) either. It's got a great write up from the other side.

I think this could be the first I-AA "Blog Bowl". Are there any other teams in I-AA this year that have faced off that have two active bloggers on either side?

LFN - we should make this an event somehow. Some kind of virtual 'jug' or bowl that we get to put on our site for the year as the annual winner of "Blog Bowl". Just need a graphic artist to create the image... anyone with some talent out there in AGS land? Are you interested LFN?

Thanks for the props.... and I like the "blog bowl" idea! I'm no artist but I'm open to ideas...

I did find this:
http://www.ticketcity.com/images/soccerimages/facup.jpg

How about this for the name "The Engine 13 Cup" (combining the traditions of Lehigh and Colgate)?

blukeys
October 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I did find this:
http://www.ticketcity.com/images/soccerimages/facup.jpg

How about this for the name "The Engine 13 Cup" (combining the traditions of Lehigh and Colgate)?

I don't have a vote in this but the trophy is appropriately ugly enough I say go with it.

colgate13
October 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I don't have a vote in this but the trophy is appropriately ugly enough I say go with it.

The Engine 13 Cup? Why does Lehigh get to be first, hmmmmmm????? We won the first game in 1922 you know and we have a seven game lead in the series!

:p :spank: :p

Seriously though, sounds good enough for me! Blog Bowl I is officially christened. The winner 'takes home' The Engine 13 Cup and gets to proudly display it on their blog when desired.

May the best blog win!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Blog Bowl I, a.k.a. "The Engine 13 Cup", is officially born.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/

MARooney
October 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM

c13 - I really enjoy your blog too . . . keep up the great work.

I was really impressed with Colgate's O-line last week at HC . . . if they can be even close to that effective against Lehigh tomorrow, I think they will have a big leg up.

Go 'Gate!

JohnG
October 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Weather update: snow flurries this morning (Friday). Saturday forecast: Stubborn clouds giving way to partial sun. High 45-50.

I hope those boys from Bethlehem don't let today's dreary day get them down in practice! :p

Mid 40s with partial cloud cover, and weather.com saying it will feel more like high 30s? I'm cold just thinking about it. As long as the rain/snow stays away I should be able to deal with the cold temperatures. Look for me at the game, I'll be the screaming nut in the Lehigh section jumping up and down to keep warm because I'm still not used to these cold northern winters.

As for the game I think Lehigh wins 21-17 on a 6 yard touchdown run by Sedale Threatt on 3rd and goal with less then a minute to go.

Go Lehigh! Bring home the Engine 13 Cup for LFN!

colgate13
October 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I just got word that brother13 will be making the trip up. brother13 is a former Engineer gridder, so the battle just got a bit more heated in my household! :nod:

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I've been holding off on a prediction. Lots of reasons to look at Lehigh winning this week, and were Borda still at the helm, they'd be the definite favorites. But, Borda's not the QB anymore, and Threatt has a tall order making his second start facing a hungry Raider D and the spirits of Kerr Stadium (the HooDoo? ;) ). Colgate's D holds off the Mountain Hawks in this one, Scott finds his holes for at least one score, and the Raiders get the Engine 13 Cup with a 24-20 victory.

Lehigh Lover
October 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I'm just about 5 and a half hours away from heading up to Hamilton with my Zoo Crew of Lehigh buddies, so I need to get in a prediction. The home field and the Curse of Andy Kerr will be in effect for Colgate, and I feel uneasy about this one. I am also very skeptical about Sedale Threatt with the monumental importance of this contest. But I must be optimistic. I feel the Lehigh defense will shut down the run and the secondary will do just enough to win the game. Threatt brings a whole other dimension to the offense that Lehigh didn't have with Borda and while Colgate has the Bucknell tape of Threatt, I don't feel that that and tapes of Brant Hall (not as fast as this kid) will be enough for Colgate to prepare for the Mountain Hawks. I will go with a low scoring game decided by the defenses and I feel Lehigh comes out with a 17-16 win with Sedale making a clutch play in the final minutes. Hope I'm right. Let's kickoff already!!!

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Prediction: Sedale, like his daddy while on the Sixers, will throw up an airball in the last two minutes and Colgate will escape with a 21-19 win!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I think this game will be won in the trenches. I really like the way Lehigh's OL has been playing. It's a big experienced bunch who controlled Gate last year. As long as Threatt isn't being forced to make quick, dumb mistakes he'll be fine. Lehigh rushed for 277 yards last year with basically the same cast, they also limitted to 'Gate to little rushing yards. I think 'Gate will get yards through the air, Long had a big game last year and will probabaly have 100 yards tomorrow. However, i still think Lehigh has an experience edge as well as better OL and DL. If it comes down to a kicking game i do not like Lehigh's chances, especially in an OT situation. With that said Musiek kicks a chippy to seal the win late, Lehigh 24-17.

blukeys
October 28th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Prediction: Sedale, like his daddy while on the Sixers, will throw up an airball in the last two minutes and Colgate will escape with a 21-19 win!

Oh that is so cold!!! Sort of like Sedale Threatt's shooting in the last 2 minutes of any game. ;) ;) Sedale was quick however and I can't recall how well he threw the ball. Wasn't Threatt a high draft pick for the Sixers? Another in a long line of Sixer draft disappointments. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

colgate13
October 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Off to the game. I hope this one lives up to its billing like last year... just with a different ending! ;)

LET'S GO 'GATE!

lugo02
October 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Resurrection

lugo02
October 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM
With a result like that, I'll fly home from Florida sans the jet :D

Have a good flight ngineer.
Lehigh 50 Colgate 34

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The cup is up. The "Engine 13" Cup.