PDA

View Full Version : Going To Boone

Grizaholic17
August 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm on my way to ASU to scope out the University, and of course compare athletics. :p :p

I've been at Duke University in Durham for a month while my sister receives a lung transplant. I am ready to see some mountains, and get back into the atmosphere of FCS football.

I'll be back on tonight with my diagnosis of the ASU stadium. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I think I might drive around the Blue Ridge parkway for a while too!!

REPORT:

Wow, before I even post the analysis, this thread has gone down hill. HAHA.

After traveling to Boone I have nothing but good things to say! It is quite a quaint mountain town, close-knit, that resembles many Montana towns, but with a little smaller mountains. I must admit, the mountains are impressive. Very lush with trees, something Montana lacks.

After looking at the stadium and the expansion progress, I must say I'm impressed with the way the press box is going to look. It seemed there were three stories, and they are big! The press box will add to the appeal of the stadium. I love the "base of the mountain" setting. With that Lush forest right by the scoreboard. I noticed that the street that goes by the stadium looks right down onto the field. I bet many people just sit up there.

The campus was beautiful...but not quite as close-knit as the missoula campus...or near the size.
Kidd Brewer was a beautiful place for a football game, but it still does not match the enormity of Wa/Griz. I was impressed by the press boxes, but enclose the endzones, and you make me happy. Wa/Griz is as loud as it is because of the bowl, appy needs to expand there first.

I have pics that I will try to post later. But I's 6:40am and I'm not just getting up, I'm just going to bed :)

Loved App, but must say...Nothing beats our Griz. BEST OF LUCK

Appguy
August 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM
good news, see ya at fan Fest at 4

ursus arctos horribilis
August 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Griza why didn't you past this yesterday so some of the locals could have given you a suggestion or two for lunch places or maybe meet for a beer since you're there. I'd be pissed if one of the App guys came to Missoula and didn't say anything. Well not really pissed but a missed opportunity nonetheless.

Grizaholic17
August 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
good news, see ya at fan Fest at 4

mmm...does that mean I shouldn't wear my Montana Grizzly shirt? xlolx xlolx

ASU88
August 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Enjoy yourself.

Best of luck to your sister.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Man what a dick I am. I hope your sister is doing well also Griza. That has to be a terribly painful, scary thing to have to go through.

Grizaholic17
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Griza why didn't you past this yesterday so some of the locals could have given you a suggestion or two for lunch places or maybe meet for a beer since you're there. I'd be pissed if one of the App guys came to Missoula and didn't say anything. Well not really pissed but a missed opportunity nonetheless.

Just decided this today. We were at breakfast and said "let's get out of here."

My plan was to wait until mid-week...but that plan fell through. But if this fan fest deal is really happening, I don't think I'll have any trouble.

citdog
August 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
watch out for your bunghole ned beatty

ursus arctos horribilis
August 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
watch out for your bunghole ned beatty

Looks like citdog's gonna be there too.

citdog
August 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Looks like citdog's gonna be there too.

i'll be at the upstate ags gathering........trying to keep appaholic from trying to "dback" Ol FU

proasu89
August 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM

you're more than welcome to support your home team. heck, even i've got some griz gear (thanks to grizo). won't be wearing it today though.xthumbsupx wear it and all the AGS'ers will be able to spot youxpeacex

proasu89
August 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM

My plan was to wait until mid-week...but that plan fell through. But if this fan fest deal is really happening, I don't think I'll have any trouble.

3 hour drive from Derm. Our Daily Bread is downtown and is a great place for lunch. Check out the Mast General Store and then head across campus to the 2nd best place to play in FCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
i'll be at the upstate ags gathering........trying to keep appaholic from trying to "dback" Ol FU

you better let him be citdiggity, a man in love shouldn't be trifled with.

AppGirl
August 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Well, I'm on my way to ASU to scope out the University, and of course compare athletics. :p :p

I've been at Duke University in Durham for a month while my sister receives a lung transplant. I am ready to see some mountains, and get back into the atmosphere of FCS football.

I'll be back on tonight with my diagnosis of the ASU stadium. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Good Luck to your sister! I'm headed up now. Don't be surprised if a 6 ft woman in a "Football Chic" t-shirt comes up to say hello. It's just me!;)

APPALACHIANstate
August 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Have fun in Boone!

bodoyle
August 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Enjoy the drive up the mountain and the un-marked streets there. Look to your right as you walk up the street to the football field and you'll see a big ass mansion about 2000 ft further up the mountain.

Mountain Panther
August 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Boone, IA? Be sure to visit Chad Rinehart's birthplace.

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/LMGMFDGKKEOP/LB1J0566rinehart2.jpg

ButlerGSU
August 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
3 hour drive from Derm. Our Daily Bread is downtown and is a great place for lunch. Check out the Mast General Store and then head across campus to the 2nd best place to play in FCS.

That about sums up everything in the city of Boone xsmiley_wix

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Ha! Please enlighten us with the places to see in the Statesboro area!

He already knows about the BRP, and probably Grandfather Mountain & Blowing Rock. Other favorite local restaurants: Makoto's (Japanese on 321 toward Blowing Rock), Macado's (bar & grill place on King Street), Dos Amigos (Mexican on 421 in New Market Square), Back Yard Burgers (best fast food burger you'll ever have; not unique to Boone but I doubt it's in Montana).

The Mast General Store, by the way, is a very successful general store chain with locations in Boone, Waynesville (NC), Hendersonville (NC), Asheville (NC), Greenville (SC), and Knoxville (TN), but it all got started in the tiny village of Valle Crucis, which is minutes from Boone south on Hwy. 105.

BarefootApp
August 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Welcome Griz!...I did the same thing at Wa-Griz last month. Took a bunch of pics and spoke with players and coaches....A great experience for me. I was following Lewis and Clark and had to stop by the stadium. Sure glad I did. I hope you enjoy Appalachian. The Blue Ridge and ASU are a special place with or without football. Best to you and your sis. Bring her to Chatty in December when the Griz play the Apps (hopefully).

CID1990
August 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM

He already knows about the BRP, and probably Grandfather Mountain & Blowing Rock. Other favorite local restaurants: Makoto's (Japanese on 321 toward Blowing Rock), Macado's (bar & grill place on King Street), Dos Amigos (Mexican on 421 in New Market Square), Back Yard Burgers (best fast food burger you'll ever have; not unique to Boone but I doubt it's in Montana).

The Mast General Store, by the way, is a very successful general store chain with locations in Boone, Waynesville (NC), Hendersonville (NC), Asheville (NC), Greenville (SC), and Knoxville (TN), but it all got started in the tiny village of Valle Crucis, which is minutes from Boone south on Hwy. 105.

You forgot about the Black Cat burritos place in downtown.

Also, stop sending tourists to Valle Crucis, we have enough! xsmiley_wix

proasu89
August 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM

He's only going to be here for one afternoon. No need to give him a week's worth of choices.:p Now the last time I was in Statesboro I had to take the team to eat at Ruby Tuesday's for three straight nights because well...that was it.xsmiley_wix

ericsaid
August 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM

The Cook Out!!!!xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

'neers80
August 16th, 2008, 03:18 PM
eat nice ... THE PEDDLER STEAK HOUSE (I worked there for seven years) one of the best salad bars in western nc

GreatAppSt
August 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I wish I could be there Check your PM's if your not already there.

thmst30
August 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
eat nice ... THE PEDDLER STEAK HOUSE (I worked there for seven years) one of the best salad bars in western nc
Yea but don't you guys serve Campbells soup there.xlolx Cafe Portofino is on campus and has incredible food. However, I expect them to be packed tonight.

furman94
August 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I can't wait to get up there in October! I went to Furman today for the scrimmage and I noticed the slight tints of yellow in the leaves! Its getting to be that time of the year!

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I can't wait to get up there in October! I went to Furman today for the scrimmage and I noticed the slight tints of yellow in the leaves! Its getting to be that time of the year!

I am soooo excited about football season, too! xnodx

You're not alone among Furman people who like visiting Boone. I have a friend who played for Furman, and he said his favorite road trip was to Boone, not just for the rivalry, but because of the scenery.

For that matter, the view of Paris Mountain is pretty great in its own right, too.

furman94
August 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, Paris, Table Rock and North Greenville in general are equally as beautiful as Boone in the Fall, in their own respects.

ncbears
August 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM

I've been at Duke University in Durham for a month while my sister receives a lung transplant. I am ready to see some HILLS, and get back into the atmosphere of FCS football.

Fixed it for you! If you want to see mountains, why not stay in the rocky mountain region?

appst97
August 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=ncbears;1062173]Fixed it for you! If you want to see FOOTBALL, why not stay in the APPALACHIAN mountain region?[/QUOTE

Fixed it for youxsmiley_wix

furman94
August 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Come on! Its the closest thing we got to mountains around here :D!

UDBlueLotFan
August 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Sure, you'd fit right in with the homeless!!xsmiley_wix xlolx

UDBlueLotFan
August 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Griz17, good luck with your sis'... Have fun meeting some new AGS buds and one 6' mountain-chickxchinscratchx xsmoochx xlolx

AppGirl
August 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Griz17, good luck with your sis'... Have fun meeting some new AGS buds and one 6' mountain-chickxchinscratchx xsmoochx xlolx

Never saw him. xnonox

APPALACHIANstate
August 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Never saw him. xnonox

He probably got robbed by the Hippies...

appfan2008
August 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
i cant wait to see what a montana fan thinks of boone and our stadium

UDBlueLotFan
August 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
i cant wait to see what a montana fan thinks of boone and our stadium

Most likely just good-ole country folk with a stadium that only competes with their own!!xbangx xbowx ,...UD has plans, but are years awayxwhistlex

Grizo406
August 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Sure, you'd fit right in with the homeless!!xsmiley_wix xlolx

I think the "homeless", that you speak of, have finally found a place to call home...

http://www.webwiseforradio.com/site_files/291/Image/Griz1.jpg
xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizaholic17
August 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM

After traveling to Boone I have nothing but good things to say! It is quite a quaint mountain town, close-knit, that resembles many Montana towns, but with a little smaller mountains. I must admit, the mountains are impressive. Very lush with trees, something Montana lacks.

After looking at the stadium and the expansion progress, I must say I'm impressed with the way the press box is going to look. It seemed there were three stories, and they are big! The press box will add to the appeal of the stadium. I love the "base of the mountain" setting. With that Lush forest right by the scoreboard. I noticed that the street that goes by the stadium looks right down onto the field. I bet many people just sit up there.

The campus was beautiful...but not quite as close-knit as the missoula campus...or near the size.
Kidd Brewer was a beautiful place for a football game, but it still does not match the enormity of Wa/Griz. I was impressed by the press boxes, but enclose the endzones, and you make me happy. Wa/Griz is as loud as it is because of the bowl, appy needs to expand there first.

I have pics that I will try to post later. But I's 6:40am and I'm not just getting up, I'm just going to bed :)

appst97
August 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
did you catch any of the scrimmage?

proasu89
August 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Like I said earlier, Glad you got to visit the 2nd best place to play in FCSxthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
August 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
The "press box," which actually is the athletics headquarters for all 20 sports plus the site of club seats and luxury boxes, is at least five stories.

Glad you had fun, grizaholic.

GreatAppSt
August 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the positive word holic.xthumbsupx

BarefootApp
August 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
gotta agree. I love KBS, but Wa-Griz is a true football venue with no track, bowl setting, and those great fans right on top of the action. But the Blue Ridge is hard to beat, esp in the fall. Thanks for taking the time to visit and I hope you enjoyed it.

Grizaholic17
August 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
The "press box," which actually is the athletics headquarters for all 20 sports plus the site of club seats and luxury boxes, is at least five stories.

Well they rise 5 stories...but from what I could tell, only three rising above the stands for housing those club seats.

And the blue ridge was great. I want to see it in fall for sure.

MountainMan
August 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM

It is actually 7 stories tall with 1 level even with the last row of seats and 3 above the seats.

ASUG8
August 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I've heard that if God were to give the world an enema, he'd insert the hose in Statesboro -

I haven't been there, just sayin' xsmiley_wix

ASUG8
August 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Glad you had the chance to visit the campus, Griz. I'd love to have the opportunity to get out your way sometime, although I know you're here under some less than desirable circumstances. Best wishes to your sis.

I just moved further from Boone to the land of the Furple people, so I guess I'll have to settle for Furman or WoCo football this season.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
August 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Well they rise 5 stories...but from what I could tell, only three rising above the stands for housing those club seats.

And the blue ridge was great. I want to see it in fall for sure.

imagine all that lush foliage in beautiful orange, red, and yellow!!!

it is amazing

AppAlum2003
August 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Glad you had the chance to visit the campus, Griz. I'd love to have the opportunity to get out your way sometime, although I know you're here under some less than desirable circumstances. Best wishes to your sis.

I just moved further from Boone to the land of the Furple people, so I guess I'll have to settle for Furman or WoCo football this season.xthumbsupx

Upstate SC is not really that far at all from Boone... xeyebrowx

ASUG8
August 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Upstate SC is not really that far at all from Boone... xeyebrowx

Didn't say it was, but I just tacked on another 60 miles and an hour to my commute there - I'd say it's significant if you're going to try to make it up to tailgate and actually find a parking spot.

It would have been great last season - :30 to Woffy, :25 to FU, 2:30 to Citadel. Too bad they're all playing at the Rock this year.

AppAlum2003
August 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Didn't say it was, but I just tacked on another 60 miles and an hour to my commute there - I'd say it's significant if you're going to try to make it up to tailgate and actually find a parking spot.

It would have been great last season - :30 to Woffy, :25 to FU, 2:30 to Citadel. Too bad they're all playing at the Rock this year.

So just drink on the way! xlolx (VERY MUCH kidding)

I can't complain, though, I've had a hard time making it to as many away games as I'd like. With a 1-year-old at home, it's hard to get away for the weekend.

AppChicago
August 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Oh, what luxury. I'm 700 miles from KBS. (Still hope to make at least two games this season, though!)

ASUG8
August 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Oh, what luxury. I'm 700 miles from KBS. (Still hope to make at least two games this season, though!)

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that I might not be in as "dire" straights as some of my fellow alumni as I typed my response. xrotatehx

AppState
August 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
2:30 to Citadel

How fast do you drive?

Oldhen
August 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
After traveling to Boone I have nothing but good things to say!

Just to add my $.02 on the subject.

Three years ago, Boone made it onto our list of college visits. My son was trying to fit in another school or two south of the Mason-Dixon when we were visiting a North Carolina school (Elon... where one of his buddies had gone). He was still struggling with which of several majors he was going to choose, and ASU had a couple of programs he was going to consider.

I'm a big fan of the Carolina mountains... just got back from another trip to Asheville a few days ago... and knew about ASU football, so it was fine by me.

Spent three days at the Broyhill Inn and Conference Center (highly recommended) and noodled around Boone and the campus. We thought the setting and surroundings were very nice, as was the campus. Obviously been a big building effort over the past decade or so, and so much of campus was state-of-the-art. Kids seemed great, as did the profs we interacted with...

(Never could get used to the idea of scrapple being called 'livermush'... but what do I know.. the wife and son probably liked Blowing Rock a bit more than Boone, but we had a blast, overall).

In the end, he decided on UD (as had both parents, his sister, aunt, yadda, yadda...). He's entering his Junior year in Biomedical engineering (in the mechanical program) and finishing a summer's research in kinematics... his sister is starting grad school at UD in Coastal Engineering... now down at USGS in St Pete doing computer modeling of coastline changes.

I always wonder what things would look like for him now if he could have imagined himself at ASU? Would we have been on opposite sides in Chatty? Would we have tailgated with his ASU buddies?

Life's funny sometimes.

ASUG8
August 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I've been told it's around 2:30 to Charleston, but I haven't tried it from here. I do drive an '06 GTO.....xcoolx

Google shows 3:20, but I can do a little better than that.

ericsaid
August 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Charleston is basically a straight shot from that area, all interstate.

ERASU2113
August 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM
REPORT:

Ok this is completely random but did you stay at a hotel in Boone? Maybe the Best Western or Country Inn & Suites?

I remember a little bit ago I checked someone into the hotel(s) I worked at wearing a Montana football shirt. (I think I know it was Montana atleast). I thought to myself "Why would he be out here?" but didn't say anything.

As far as enclosing the stadium goes. The plan I believe is to once the complex is completed to build some stands infront of Owen's Field House. Mainly for the band I think - I'm not sure though. I saw it in the first release of the Enhancement Campaign but haven't heard anything recently. For the hill - I doubt they'll do anything to it right away. It is a popular aspect of Kidd-Brewer. If anything maybe they'll turn it into something Clemson does when they come onto the field. Who knows.