PDA

View Full Version : 1989 I-AA National Championship Fact Needs 'Splained to Cap'n Cat

Cap'n Cat
August 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Was looking at a list of past national champions and saw the word "vacated" after Stephen F. Austin's name in the losing team column.

'Sup wit dat? What did Cap'n Cat miss? I was doing a lot of drugs back in '89 - '90, so.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FCS Go!
August 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Was looking at a list of past national champions and saw the word "vacated" after Stephen F. Austin's name in the losing team column.

'Sup wit dat? What did Cap'n Cat miss? I was doing a lot of drugs back in '89 - '90, so.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think it means that shortly after that game SFA went on vacation and no one has seen them since.

J/K I want to know too. A scandal???

OL FU
August 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Can't remember the details but I believe they were put on probation and forfeited games. Sucks cuz they are the ones that beat us in the Greenville Snow bowl and stopped the FU GSU rematch. xmadx

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
probation for what?

89Hen
August 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Can't remember the details but I believe they were put on probation and forfeited games.
Correct, but I can't remember the details either.

89Hen
August 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
probation for what?
Having 12 year olds at their parties...

http://www.voanews.com/english/images/AFP-Olympics-China-gymnastics-gold-medal-190.jpg

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Can't remember the details but I believe they were put on probation and forfeited games. Sucks cuz they are the ones that beat us in the Greenville Snow bowl and stopped the FU GSU rematch. xmadx

But to be clear, they did not forfeit the championship game, they lost that one to some team that was 15 - 0 that year.

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
But to be clear, they did not forfeit the championship game, they lost that one to some team that was 15 - 0 that year.

xcoffeex congrats... but i guess that congrats is 19 years late!

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
xcoffeex congrats... but i guess that congrats is 19 years late!

Oh, that's okay, we've had a few more since then, as has ASU, but that's all in the past......

Cap'n Cat
August 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Sheeit, that 1989 champ game should have one big fat-azz asterisk next to it, then!

Further, one of them six flags you got hangin' at Paulson's gotta be dyed pink to represent the "win that really, kinda, sorta, may-not-have-been-truly-a-win" win.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

We need to launch a full investigation. MplsBison, citdog and Ronbo are hereby appointed by the King of AGS, Cap'n Cat, to uncover any fraud tout de suite!

Bill all expenses to:

Georgia Southern Athletic Department
6 Erk Russell Way
Statesboro, GA 32940

http://rossbender.org/asterisk2.jpg

:D :D :D

OL FU
August 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Clarification notedxthumbsupx

BlueHen86
August 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Bionic players?

Oops, wrong Steve Austin.

BlueHen86
August 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I bet is was stone cold that day.

Oops, wrong Steve Austin again.:o

BlueHen86
August 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Maybe the "F" stands for forfeit.:p

OL FU
August 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM

I think the thing that pisses me off about the SFA deal was that it would have been one helluva rematch. I have said many times '89 was our best team (I am not sure we would have been up to the task cuz, if memory serves me, our best receiver was out for SFA and our QB was hobbled and I am not sure they would have been ready for the next week). It quite possibly would have been the best Furman team, since I-AA, and the best GSU team ever in the Champ game of 89.

Our only loss before SFA was to Clemson. The SFA game, it snowed a half a foot at Furman. No where else, not 15 miles north and not 5 five miles south in Greenville. We fell behind 21-0 and came back on lost when a two point conversion failed (wassup with these two point conversionsxrolleyesx ) Oh well we will never know.

9/2/89 Clemson Loss 30-0
9/9/89 SC State WIN 17-7
9/16/89 Presbyterian College WIN 59-17
9/30/89 VA Military WIN 30-6
10/7/89 Marshall WIN 34-13
10/14/89 Appalachian State WIN 31-6
10/21/89 Wofford WIN 42-7
10/28/89 W. Carolina WIN 17-3
11/4/89 Tennessee Chattanooga WIN 27-17
11/11/89 E. Tennessee St WIN 44-20
11/18/89 The Citadel WIN 44-9
11/25/89 William and Mary WIN 24-10
12/2/89 Youngstown State WIN 42-23
12/9/89 Stephen F. Austin Loss 21-19

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I believe SFA used illegal players or was giving some inappropriate $$$ to a student-athlete...forget the case, but I looked into this awhile back.

james_lawfirm
August 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=Cap'n Cat;1059051][B]Sheeit, that 1989 champ game should have one big fat-azz asterisk next to it, then!

Further, one of them six flags you got hangin' at Paulson's gotta be dyed pink to represent the "win that really, kinda, sorta, may-not-have-been-truly-a-win" win.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

We need to launch a full investigation. MplsBison, citdog and Ronbo are hereby appointed by the King of AGS, Cap'n Cat, to uncover any fraud tout de suite!

Capt:

Who is this tout de suite of which you speak? Don't be spaken ze francez 'round here.

Cap'n Cat
August 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
[quote=Cap'n Cat;1059051][b]Sheeit, that 1989 champ game should have one big fat-azz asterisk next to it, then!

Capt:

Who is this tout de suite of which you speak? Don't be spaken ze francez 'round here.

French for "at once" or "immediately".

:)

Biff
August 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233859

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sheeit, that 1989 champ game should have one big fat-azz asterisk next to it, then!

Bill all expenses to:

Georgia Southern Athletic Department
6 Erk Russell Way
Statesboro, GA 32940

http://rossbender.org/asterisk2.jpg

:D :D :D

I believe SFA used illegal players or was giving some inappropriate $$$ to a student-athlete...forget the case, but I looked into this awhile back.

So, if Tex is correct we should get some gold stars on that flag for beating a team with illegal and/or paid players xsmiley_wix

McNeeserocket
August 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly, SFA was forced to forfeit games when the NCAA found that some (maybe 6) football players were given a bookstore discount by mistake. The discount was minor and was not asked for by the players or athletic department.

The consensus was that the NCAA used SFA to make a point about breaking even minor rules. The infraction was not intentional by anyone at SFA.

I am writing these details from memory and my memory is a little cloudy (probably would be crystal clear if it happened to McNeese, as I would definitely remember every detail).

Cap'n Cat
August 14th, 2008, 03:12 PM
If I remember correctly, SFA was forced to forfeit games when the NCAA found that some (maybe 6) football players were given a bookstore discount by mistake. The discount was minor and was not asked for by the players or athletic department.

The consensus was that the NCAA used SFA to make a point about breaking even minor rules. The infraction was not intentional by anyone at SFA.

I am writing these details from memory and my memory is a little cloudy (probably would be crystal clear if it happened to McNeese, as I would definitely remember every detail).

Good points, but there still should be an asterisk and a pink flag for 1989.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
That was one of the best I-AA championship games ever. Stephen F. Austin was a very good team. Larry Centers was one of their running backs and David Whitmore was one of their DBs. Georgia Southern won after SFA opted to play for the win rather than overtime when it got the ball very late in the game and came out throwing. GSU got an interception that was returned into field goal range and kicked the field goal to win it 37-34 with, I think, 30 something seconds left.

Those who remember watching that SFA team will tell you it was absolutely loaded with talent. All other things aside, as far as on the field caliber goes, Georgia Southern did play a national championship caliber football team on that day in a very hard fought game that could have gone either way. Any doubt about how good GSU was should be erased through noting that they won their first three playoff games 52-36, 45-3, and 45-15. No asterisk is needed.

It's a shame things kind of got smudged by SFA getting sanctioned but, just as a football game, it was one intense and entertaining contest.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I figured it was for hiring crappy coaches since then xcoolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I don't know the details, but one of Stephen F. Austin's players from that year was ineligible.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think the thing that pisses me off about the SFA deal was that it would have been one helluva rematch. I have said many times '89 was our best team (I am not sure we would have been up to the task cuz, if memory serves me, our best receiver was out for SFA and our QB was hobbled and I am not sure they would have been ready for the next week). It quite possibly would have been the best Furman team, since I-AA, and the best GSU team ever in the Champ game of 89.

Our only loss before SFA was to Clemson. The SFA game, it snowed a half a foot at Furman. No where else, not 15 miles north and not 5 five miles south in Greenville. We fell behind 21-0 and came back on lost when a two point conversion failed (wassup with these two point conversionsxrolleyesx ) Oh well we will never know.

I can't decide if our '89 or '99 team was better. Certainly our '99 team had the better offense and is the best I-AA/FCS offense ever (50 ppg, 59 points in the NC, 72 in the first round, 41 points to a 7-5 Pac-10 team), but the 89 team also had a good offense and was better coached defensively.

blueballs
August 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM
The 1989 title game was one of the greatest sporting events I've ever witnessed.

SFA was a VERY strong team and the game went as JSO described. We had a record crowd at Paulson that day and Coach Russell was carried off the field into retirement by his seniors with a perfect record.

PS: I got laid that night by a young lady who was a former contestant in the Miss Georgia pageant... a great day all around!

blueballs
August 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
NM

Cap'n Cat
August 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
PS: I got laid that night by a young lady who was a former contestant in the Miss Georgia pageant... a great day all around!

Here she is in '08, Pierce. BTW, she is a bartender up here in Prescott, WI, where you'll be fishing inexactly one week.

http://argville.com/images/funny-pictures/fat-under-dress.jpg
"Blueballs! Is that you? Git yer skinny little hind-end over here, boy, and gimme some sugar!!"

SuperEagle
August 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Having 12 year olds at their parties...

http://www.voanews.com/english/images/AFP-Olympics-China-gymnastics-gold-medal-190.jpg
That's hillarious!!!! :) xthumbsupx

OL FU
August 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Her name wasn't Jean was itxconfusedx xeyebrowx xeekx xrotatehx xsmhx

elon77
August 15th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Here she is in '08, Pierce. BTW, she is a bartender up here in Prescott, WI, where you'll be fishing inexactly one week.

http://argville.com/images/funny-pictures/fat-under-dress.jpg
"Blueballs! Is that you? Git yer skinny little hind-end over here, boy, and gimme some sugar!!"

I thought I saw her with citdog at one of their games. I was guessing it was his gggggggggurlfriend.xlolx

elon77
August 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I thought I saw her with citdog at one of their games. I was guessing it was his gggggggggurlfriend.xlolx

she does seem to have snoopy on her socksxnodx no, it might be citdogs picture.

Cap'n Cat
August 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
she does seem to have snoopy on her socksxnodx no, it might be citdogs picture.

Hundred bux sez she's from the South.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

elon77
August 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hundred bux sez she's from the South.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
AS IN SOUTH CAROLINAxnodx