PDA

View Full Version : DSU ready to open up the playbook this year

DSUrocks07
August 14th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Wilmington News Journal: Hornets ready to expand offense (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/SPORTS08/808140385/1002/SPORTS)

DOVER -- Reigning Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion Delaware State will showcase some brand-new looks on offense this season.

Is that really true, Hornets coach Al Lavan?

"We can use the full playbook now," Lavan said at Wednesday's two-a-day drills at Alumni Stadium. "That's a first for us here."

The expectations begin with Vashon Winton, a quarterback who brings three seasons of starting experience. Add the contributions of second-year offensive coordinator Doug Sams and it could result in Lavan finally having the confidence in his players, coaches and himself to launch into a complete, fully functioning playbook when his team starts Sept. 4 against Florida A&M.

"The offense is much more multiple now," Lavan said. "And now, we know how to approach it."

Lavan has always envisioned a pro-set offense that blends the best of his more than 35 years of coaching experience. A little San Francisco 49ers, some Washington Huskies and a bit of his own unique flare.

xthumbsupx

I like the way this year is shaping up, something is brewing down here is lil ole Dover, and its not just Coach Lavan's chili xlolx. We've showed signs of the potential of a real explosive offense last season (K. Jones 175 yd game against Coastal, the 4th quarter comeback against Norfolk St.) If we can get Winton some good reps with throwing the ball he has the potential of challenging for MEAC POTY xthumbsupx

89Hen
August 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Do they have the 108 yard fumble recovery for a TD in the defensive playbook this year? xsmiley_wix

I'd love to see you guys back in Newark Thanksgiving weekend. xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
August 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Looking forward to watching my Blue Devils take on the Hornets this year!

YoUDeeMan
August 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'd love to see you guys back in Newark Thanksgiving weekend. xthumbsupx

Agreed. xnodx

Lavan is a class act and I hope he does well this year.

It is a shame that Sessoms is leaving; he was a big supporter of DSU football. Hopefully, the program won't suffer with the change.

Ivytalk
August 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Here's to another successful season for the Hornets! May they win the MEAC again!xthumbsupx

LacesOut
August 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Here's to another successful season for the Hornets! May they win the MEAC again!xthumbsupx

Agreed.

Good luck DSU, win another MEAC title.

I may just make a trek down to Dover from Newark this fall and check out a Hornets game.

89Hen
August 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Keeler and Lavan even took part in a cookoff this week...

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080812&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=308120008&Ref=AR&Profile=1028&MaxW=318&Border=0

DSUrocks07
August 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Keeler and Lavan even took part in a cookoff this week...

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080812&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=308120008&Ref=AR&Profile=1028&MaxW=318&Border=0

I was there, both coaches did really well. A lot of DSU folks were there in the stands as well...figured since the campus is right across the highway from Dover Downs xcoolx

Seawolf97
August 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM

2nd THAT - Good Luck in 2008xthumbsupx