PDA

View Full Version : Which former FCS program has made the best transition to FBS?

IndianaAppMan
August 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
v

89Hen
August 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Notice that I'm not including South Florida, Boise State, UConn, or Western Kentucky.
xconfusedx Why not Boise?

WMTribe90
August 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Boise State and UConn

appfan2008
there is no question Boise State... not even close...
there winning percentage since moving up is 72.7% including a 2-10 transition year...
next would be Marshall... a 66.4 % since moving up even with some below average years recently...

of course an argument could be made for uconn and south florida due to the league they are in but in all honesty they created their programs for the sole purpose of moving up so i dont like to count them...

my vote squarely goes to boise st

IndianaAppMan
Uh....

Fellow AGSers. After starting to work on a poll, I realized this idea was stupid.

How do I cancel this thread?

Thanks!

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
on the other end of the spectrum... buffalo made by far the worst decision by moving up having won only 16.5% of their games and are stuck in the lowly MAC

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Uh....

Fellow AGSers. After starting to work on a poll, I realized this idea was stupid.

Thanks!

why in the world would you cancel this thread... THAT WOULD BE WHAT IS STUPID!

89Hen
August 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Uh....

Thanks!
Cats already out of the bag IAM. This thread will take off and there's nothing you can do about it. :p

Saluki Fan in FL
August 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
v

You must have read my post to the Western Kentucky fan telling him he was now at the bottom of the pile of FBS *****ty teams.

IndianaAppMan
August 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
why in the world would you cancel this thread... THAT WOULD BE WHAT IS STUPID!

Originally my idea was to say "outside of South Florida, UConn, and Boise," since their BCS memberships or BCS bowl victory makes their success so obvious.

My poll question would have included Troy, Buffalo, Marshall, Florida Atlantic, and a few others. Then I realized how boring that debate would be, probably end up being a "to go FBS or not-to-go FBS" debate. I didn't want that, and that's why I've expressed regret.

Oh well. Looks like it'll be a hot topic.

89Hen
August 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Originally my idea was to say "outside of South Florida, UConn, and Boise," since their BCS memberships or BCS bowl victory makes their success so obvious.
So to paraphrase...

Which former FCS program that hasn't made a good transition to FBS has made the best transition to FBS? :p

WMTribe90
August 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
there winning percentage since moving up is 72.7% including a 2-10 transition year...
next would be Marshall... a 66.4 % since moving up even with some below average years recently...

of course an argument could be made for uconn and south florida due to the league they are in but in all honesty they created their programs for the sole purpose of moving up so i dont like to count them...

UConn had reasonably successful I-AA football program in the old Yankee/A-10 conference (present CAA) long before they moved up to the Big East for football.

Marshall should not even be in the discussion. In recent years their attendance has dropped below the IAA attendance levels. Their record for the last three season is about .500, despite playing in one of the weakest FBS conferences. They are headed in the wrong direction and IMO had more prestige as a premeire IAA program. Lastly, whereas BSU and UConn are state flagship programs, Marshall will always be second fiddle to WVU.

UConn may not have the record of BSU, but playing in the BE will do that. UConn's on-field success has steadily increased since they made the jump with a few set-backs. Their in an FBS conference and have good fan support. BSU has achieved more to date, but they have maximized their potential, whereas UConn can (and likely will) continue to rise as a program.

"Best transition" to me means more than just winning percentage. Factors like fan support, financial stability, conference affiliation, growth potential, etc. are better indicators of wether a transition was successful or even a good choice in the first place.

813Jag
August 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM

My poll question would have included Troy, Buffalo, Marshall, Florida Atlantic, and a few others. Then I realized how boring that debate would be, probably end up being a "to go FBS or not-to-go FBS" debate. I didn't want that, and that's why I've expressed regret.

Oh well. Looks like it'll be a hot topic.
I think USF would have been successful in the Big East or CUSA. Coach Leavitt has finally began to embrace the local talent here. They had a subpar season in 2004. The main thing the Big East did for USF is give them more bowl opportunities and of course more money.

CID1990
August 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
The Thundering Turd started out strong but now they are living in the obscurity that they so richly deserve.

BlueHen86
August 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I go with UConn. The only way I would want the Hens to move up is if they were to join a BCS conference like UConn did. UConn has gotten a lot of TV exposure, a new stadium and a few bowl games. They have also appeared in the Top 25 poll a few weeks and they won at least one of their bowl games.

I have Boise at number 2, primarly because they are not in a BCS conference. Granted, they have one of the most memorable wins ever in college football (I think their win over Oklahoma is the greatest game I ever watched), but there is no guarantee that they will be able to sustain their level of success as long as the BCS conference control FBS football.

BlueHen86
August 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
UConn had reasonably successful I-AA football program in the old Yankee/A-10 conference (present CAA) long before they moved up to the Big East for football.

Marshall should not even be in the discussion. In recent years their attendance has dropped below the IAA attendance levels. Their record for the last three season is about .500, despite playing in one of the weakest FBS conferences. They are headed in the wrong direction and IMO had more prestige as a premeire IAA program. Lastly, whereas BSU and UConn are state flagship programs, Marshall will always be second fiddle to WVU.

UConn may not have the record of BSU, but playing in the BE will do that. UConn's on-field success has steadily increased since they made the jump with a few set-backs. Their in an FBS conference and have good fan support. BSU has achieved more to date, but they have maximized their potential, whereas UConn can (and likely will) continue to rise as a program.

"Best transition" to me means more than just winning percentage. Factors like fan support, financial stability, conference affiliation, growth potential, etc. are better indicators of wether a transition was successful or even a good choice in the first place.

Well stated.xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Personally I'll take BSU over UConn. The Big East is nothing now that Miami and Va. Tech are gone. Even last year when they were so lauded as being a good conference, the only significant OOC wins they have are Auburn and a win over Oklahoma from an unusually weak Big XII. Just look at how Elon played South Florida ... I believe Elon turned the ball over in their opponents red zone twice and it was still a two touchdown game.

And I agree with you on Marshall. Their dominance died with the departure of Bob Pruett.

Grizalltheway
August 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Idahoe! xlolx

89Hen
August 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
xconfusedx Since UD joined the Yankee I don't recall UConn being good except one year at the end...

1999: 4-7 (3-5)
1998: 10-3 (6-2)
1997: 7-4 (4-4)
1996: 5-6 (3-5)
1995: 8-3 (5-3)
1994: 4-7 (4-4)
1993: 6-5 (5-3)
1992: 5-6 (4-4)
1991: 3-8 (2-6)
1990: 6-5 (5-3)
1989: 8-3 (6-2)
1988: 7-4 (4-4)
1987: 7-4 (5-2)
1986: 8-3 (5-2)

They were a constant underachiever that didn't get much support either.

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'll take this uncommon relevant opportunity to make the following statement:

Buffalo Sucks.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled UConn versus Boise State discussion.

blueballs
August 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
The Thundering Turd started out strong but now they are living in the obscurity that they so richly deserve.

As soon as they got busted for all the cheatin' and had to play fair their record, reputation, and attendance went right down the toilet- and deservedly so.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch...

WMTribe90
August 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Since UD joined the Yankee I don't recall UConn being good except one year at the end...

1999: 4-7 (3-5)
1998: 10-3 (6-2)
1997: 7-4 (4-4)
1996: 5-6 (3-5)
1995: 8-3 (5-3)
1994: 4-7 (4-4)
1993: 6-5 (5-3)
1992: 5-6 (4-4)
1991: 3-8 (2-6)
1990: 6-5 (5-3)
1989: 8-3 (6-2)
1988: 7-4 (4-4)
1987: 7-4 (5-2)
1986: 8-3 (5-2)

They were a constant underachiever that didn't get much support either.

C'mon 89, let's not get in a battle of semantics. An 88-68 (0.772) record for the years you listed qualifies as "reasonably successful" IMO.

Back to the topic at hand. I think making the jump to FBS makes sense if you meet one or both the following criteria:

1) Immediate membership in an established BCS conference (UConn)

and/or

2) Your program will be your state's first FBS team and by default the state's flagship program (BSU)

Programs like Marshall and Troy illustrate that the momentum of a succussful (is this an okay adj. 89 :) IAA experience and the novelty of the IA transition can only carry you so far. The BCS conference affliation and/or state "flagship" status are what allow of sustainable success and fan interest.

CID1990
August 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Check out today's USAToday. MU got some love in the sports section.

CID1990
August 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
As soon as they got busted for all the cheatin' and had to play fair their record, reputation, and attendance went right down the toilet- and deservedly so.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch...

They are just trying to recreate the good old days.....

When the crash occurred in the early 70s, the name Marshall was synonymous with cheating, and they were already under NCAA sanctions at the time.

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
C'mon 89, let's not get in a battle of semantics. An 88-68 (0.772) record for the years you listed qualifies as "reasonably successful" IMO.

Back to the topic at hand. I think making the jump to FBS makes sense if you meet one or both the following criteria:

1) Immediate membership in an established BCS conference (UConn)

and/or

2) Your program will be your state's first FBS team and by default the state's flagship program (BSU)

Programs like Marshall and Troy illustrate that the momentum of a succussful (is this an okay adj. 89 :) IAA experience and the novelty of the IA transition can only carry you so far. The BCS conference affliation and/or state "flagship" status are what allow of sustainable success and fan interest.

If they had .772 winning percentage that would be a great team... but they didnt... do your math! 88-68 is a .564!!!!

89Hen
August 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I was merely pointing out that they were a middle-level I-AA. Not even a high-middle level before moving up. Their move was easily the best move as they went from nothing to something. That's all. xthumbsupx

UCAMonkey
August 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Did Temple or Duke ever play FCS?

Florida International is pretty awful.

I think Troy has had the most recent success.

patssle
August 14th, 2008, 09:04 PM
National championship games for Boise, Marshall, or UConn?

Zero.

UConn has 3 winning seasons since moving up. One bowl win over super duper BCS powerhouse Toledo. Success? Not nearly.

Franks Tanks
August 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Umm UConn was I-AA forever before moving up. How did they create their program for it?