PDA

View Full Version : App. State --- JMU Sept 20th

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Not sure if another thread exists on this topic.

Share your thoughts, predictions, score, etc.

This could be the biggest non-conference game of the season. Boths schools should be ranked in the top 5.

I will be there.....Should be a good one.....

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Surpisingly, I couldn't find another thread on this besides a general thread asking about the gametime.

Welcome ASU_MBA!

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
MBA in "granola studies" "general douchebaggery" or "mating rituals of yosefs"

pray tell

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM

pray tell

Translation to English from the language of the "Nation of Southern Denialists": Welcome.

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
General Douchebaggery,
which I will display with honor on Oct. 4th, when people like myself come home to the mountains to watch well.....you should know, perhaps that is another Thread....

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
General Douchebaggery,
which I will display with honor on Oct. 4th, when people like myself come home to the mountains to watch well.....you should know, perhaps that is another Thread....

The fact that for at least a few hours there will actually be REAL MEN ON THE CAMPUS OF APPY STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE FOR VAGINAS AND WHITE RASTAS?xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

ASUMountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM

pray tell

MBA in general douchebaggery...I didn't know Appaholic and I were professors. xlolx

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
citidog.....is that you Shannon Faulkner?
I am your biggest fan I love what you did for the Citadel....

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
On topic....I do like our chances:
1) We will be coming off a bye week compared to JMU having to play UMass the week before.
2)ASU will be better against the run this year given the addition of Malcom Bennet (Junco transfer) and more experince on the d-line....We return Smith, Banks, and Roman at LB.
3)Offensively we showed our ability to put up points against JMU, though we had the ball little in TOP.

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM
citidog.....is that you Shannon Faulkner?
I am your biggest fan I love what you did for the Citadel....

Wow 7 posts in and he's already dropped the Faulkner bomb on you Cit.

xlolx

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM

xlolx

IT'S LIKE BARRY AND THE RACE CARD.....IT'S GONNA GET PLAYED SO IT MIGHT AS WELL BE EARLY!

813Jag
August 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM

xlolx
Talk about hitting the ground running. xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
On topic....I do like our chances:
1) We will be coming off a bye week compared to JMU having to play UMass the week before.
2)ASU will be better against the run this year given the addition of Malcom Bennet (Junco transfer) and more experince on the d-line....We return Smith, Banks, and Roman at LB.
3)Offensively we showed our ability to put up points against JMU, though we had the ball little in TOP.

Point 1 - TRUE - this worries me a bit, but not too much unless there is a significant injury. Continuity is also good, especially so early in the season. This would worry me more if it were, say, November. Also, third home game gives in a row gives a certain comfort to the team.

Point 2 - UNKNOWN - I'll believe it when I see it. JMU will also be more experienced on the O-line, and we have even more and better weapons with the ground game - Eugene Holloman is back, our freshman fumblers are no longer so green, and we have a wild card in Kerby Long. in the air, Rodney Landers should be much improved.

Point 3 - MISLEADING - you either scored fast, or you gave us the ball fast. The ability is certainly there. In that game, field position helped ASU tremendously. Three drives of 50+ yards resulting in 2 TD and 1 FG, everything else was 20-40 yrds for TD, Punt or Fumble.

At the end of the day, last year was last year. This is a new year, a new venue (WELCOME TO HARRISONBURG!) and new wrinkles in the systems I'm sure to accommodate changes in personnel.

As it always seems to be, turnovers are likely to decide this game considering how even both teams are.

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Point 1 - TRUE - this worries me a bit, but not too much unless there is a significant injury. Continuity is also good, especially so early in the season. This would worry me more if it were, say, November. Also, third home game gives in a row gives a certain comfort to the team.

Point 2 - UNKNOWN - I'll believe it when I see it. JMU will also be more experienced on the O-line, and we have even more and better weapons with the ground game - Eugene Holloman is back, our freshman fumblers are no longer so green, and we have a wild card in Kerby Long. in the air, Rodney Landers should be much improved.

Point 3 - MISLEADING - you either scored fast, or you gave us the ball fast. The ability is certainly there. In that game, field position helped ASU tremendously. Three drives of 50+ yards resulting in 2 TD and 1 FG, everything else was 20-40 yrds for TD, Punt or Fumble.

At the end of the day, last year was last year. This is a new year, a new venue (WELCOME TO HARRISONBURG!) and new wrinkles in the systems I'm sure to accommodate changes in personnel.

As it always seems to be, turnovers are likely to decide this game considering how even both teams are.

now that is some good analysis... even though we both have multiple big games before this so I dont know why it has already been brought up

Boone4280
August 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
how far of a drive is it from boone to JMU??? im asking this because i believe we should get a large APP section and throw tons of ribbons in the air whenever we score.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
5 hours or so. Please, throw streamers all you want. It'll look silly compared to a stadium of PURPLE & GOLD streamers.

But really, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. xnodx ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Surpisingly, I couldn't find another thread on this besides a general thread asking about the gametime.

...we both have multiple big games before this so I dont know why it has already been brought up

I think we have our answer.

ASU88
August 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I think we have our answer.
Not so fast.

We're not the players. As fans, we can take the luxury of looking ahead to a big game, regardless of the matchups looming before then.

I don't see anything wrong in getting the discussion going if there's interest ... which there most definately is given the amount of mentions in the newspapers up there.
xrulesx

ericsaid
August 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Missed field goal and two missed PAT's last year in this game by App, count your blessings JMU. The game was not decided by that final fumble, there were a lot of miscues by both teams and really neither team deserved to win. But someone had to and its obvious who that was, most points about App's D are probably correct in terms of the D-line. Tony Robertsons been getting a couple sacks every scrimmage during Fall camp, against armanti thats not easy feat. Then the d-lines been improving against the run according to the practice reports. It will come down to App's front 7 in this game because everyone knows the points come quickly.

38-34. You decide who wins, thats just my prediction of the score.

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
True....but as far as FCS implications this game is much bigger and also, I am a little tired of reading the same LSU posts over and over again....trying to change it up a little and look ahead to what should be a great battle.

I agree about this year being a new game...blah blah blah...

I don't think people understand the talent of Malcolm Bennet, Anthony Williams, Q. Lewis or the 6-6, 290 monster of Witte on the inside. Our D-line will be much improved and we return three of the best LBs in the SoCon if not the country.

Our secondary will have some questions...I like the return of Love and Gilbert but we will have a lot of inexperience and youth. We should be bigger and maybe more physical.

on Offensive remember the names of Freshmand Brian Quick and Va. Tech tranfser Radford.....

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Agree with all the above. In general, we have been talking about this game, even on a more detailed level, it's just been scattered amongst all the threads I think.

ericsaid
August 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
True....but as far as FCS implications this game is much bigger and also, I am a little tired of reading the same LSU posts over and over again....trying to change it up a little and look ahead to what should be a great battle.

I agree about this year being a new game...blah blah blah...

I don't think people understand the talent of Malcolm Bennet, Anthony Williams, Q. Lewis or the 6-6, 290 monster of Witte on the inside. Our D-line will be much improved and we return three of the best LBs in the SoCon if not the country.

Our secondary will have some questions...I like the return of Love and Gilbert but we will have a lot of inexperience and youth. We should be bigger and maybe more physical.

on Offensive remember the names of Freshmand Brian Quick and Va. Tech tranfser Radford.....

We may be bigger but Corey Lynch is a HARD HITTER. As seen in the preseason game where he rocked someone at the line of scrimmage, and against Michigan I think on UM's third drive he nailed Greg Mathews. I re-watched that play about ten times because it was so funny. But bigger yes and maybe faster. Jared Reine is 6'1 190(runs a 4.43 as reported by scout right out of high school) replacing a 5'7 160 pound cornerback. Then Mark LeGree used to beat Reine down on special teams so i'm guessing he runs around a 4.4 at 6' 200 pounds he's the same size as Lynch but probably faster. With time this could be a great secondary and possibly form into one of the best in the conference or FCS by next year or the year after.

ASUMountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
how far of a drive is it from boone to JMU??? im asking this because i believe we should get a large APP section and throw tons of ribbons in the air whenever we score.

NO, sorry but that's just not hetero at all. I will be there and refuse to throw streamers in the air. I've already my wife's family (who went to JMU and is sitting with us in the ASU section) will not be allowed to have streamers.

blueballs
August 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
HUGE game for both teams, which is unusual for OOC games that early in the season.

Huge for JMU for obvious reasons... revenge, rankings, seeding

Huge for App because after this game there is a very real chance they are 1-2 and play @GSU, Furman, and Wofford in consecutive weeks in October before hosting Elon a couple of weeks later.

I know this sounds crazy but that schedule is not to be sneezed at and there is a distinct possibility App could have 4 losses (especially if Edwards gets dinged again this year) and not make the playoffs.

App loses this game and if they have the same conference record as 2007 they may be sitting home come Thanksgiving.

DLS
August 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
the streamers seriously need to stop. youre embarassing your conference.

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
From the 2 deep FROM the JMU-ASU playoff game:

Starters returning:
ASU 4 offense, 6 defense, 10 total (offseason loss of Tharington)
JMU 8 offense, 7 defense, 15 total (offseason loss of Eason (2 yr starting OG)
+ get back 06' 1st team All CAA tailback Holloman

2 deep returning:
ASU 25 (didn't ASU lose Washington in addition to Tharrington?)
JMU 36

Specilaists returning:
JMU: kicker and punter, both 2nd team All ACC
ASU: punter

Both teams have their highly touted QBs back. Granted, ASU's is more touted now.

ASU lost AA tailback (yes, I know Richardsons's replacement Moore is good). JMU again, has Holloman back, a solid candidate to make AA.

Both teams lost their best receiver, but ASU's was drafted.

ASU also lost 3 starting o-lineman, including their best o-lineman, a consensus AA OG. JMU has 4 starting o-lineman back (would have been all 5 if not for Eason). Eason was maybe 3rd-4th best.

Both teams lost their consensus AA safety. But ASU lost all 4 secondary starters, while JMU has 3 of 5 back, and is very deep at corner, with essentially 4 starting corners.

Both teams lost their best, or at least most touted d-lineman from last season (Tharrington for ASU and Baronwosky for JMU. And yes, I know that the Vandy transfer is supposedly better than Tharrington). JMU does All CAA DE Abdul-Wahid back, along with 7 of 8 from the 2 deep

-JMU lost their best LB, with one of 2 starting LBs back. Only spot on field in my mind where ASU will be clearly superior.

-ASU has some transfers and apparently their last several recruiting classes have been really good (best ever?), and their will be some touted redshirt freshman and sophomores moving up into that 2 deep.

-JMU's last 4 recruiting classes since their 04' NC and the opening of the 11 million or whatever it was Plecker center have probably been their 4 best recruiting classes ever with lots of players who had multiple I-A offers to mid-lower tier I-A schools. Maybe the best athlete on the team is starting WR Kerby Long, who Matthews called the most highly touted recruit he's ever signed with the possible exception of Lezotte, who had numerous I-A offers out of HS and Fork Union Military Academies PG team who only redshirted last season since he missed training camp because of some NCAA clearinghouse issue.

ASU will be coming off a bye week, while JMU will have had a tough game with UMass the weekend prior. But this game will be @ JMU vs @ ASU (huge) and the revenge factor (HUGE), which cannot be overstated, both of which will more than make up for that bye week. Given that JMU outgained ASU by over 100 yards and doubled them in time of possession, given all of the above, its pretty obvious that right JMU should be favored.

The HUGE wildcard will be injuries. What if Edwards or Landers goes down? If that happens or either team has multiple injuries to key starters that changes everything.

umassfan
August 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Not sure if another thread exists on this topic.

Share your thoughts, predictions, score, etc.

This could be the biggest non-conference game of the season. Boths schools should be ranked in the top 5.

I will be there.....Should be a good one.....

Both teams may not be in the top 5 if UMass knocks off the Dukes the week before.

Jerbearasu
August 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Missed field goal and two missed PAT's last year in this game by App, count your blessings JMU. The game was not decided by that final fumble, there were a lot of miscues by both teams and really neither team deserved to win. But someone had to and its obvious who that was, most points about App's D are probably correct in terms of the D-line. Tony Robertsons been getting a couple sacks every scrimmage during Fall camp, against armanti thats not easy feat. Then the d-lines been improving against the run according to the practice reports. It will come down to App's front 7 in this game because everyone knows the points come quickly.

38-34. You decide who wins, thats just my prediction of the score.

You sure do like those practice reports Eric... Have you ever thought about who writes them?

IMO, the d-line will hold their own. They won't be as deep as they could have been if Washington and Tharrington had come back. Robertson will be ok but he won't be dominating like DE's that I'm used to seeing from App (really they haven't been since the departure of Murrell). I find it interesting that 1st team AA, Anthony Williams, will not be starting for us anymore because he was pushed back in the depth chart. I am predicting Malcolm Bennett will be the defensive MVP.

Eugene Holloman coming back scares me... He is a good player and with the combination of Landers they will be able to chew up some yards.

Also, this is the first time in a while that App has had to play at JMU which tough road games are always difficult. The fan base should be rocking for this one too.

I think a big underlying factor is that we do have that extra week to prepare while JMU will have a match-up with a top 10 team that week. That will definitely be hard to overcome.

ASU88
August 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
This game will be huge no matter the circumstances. Not many "must win" games in September in FCS, but this one could feel that way.

Both teams start out strong it's a top 5 matchup.

One or both teams stumble early and they are trying to save their season already.

The game is made more intriguing by how even the two teams appear. You can argue all day about why one should be favored over another, but barring any major injuries they should be pretty close.

THIS is why we get excited about football.

BeauFoster
August 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
You sure do like those practice reports Eric... Have you ever thought about who writes them?

IMO, the d-line will hold their own. They won't be as deep as they could have been if Washington and Tharrington had come back. Robertson will be ok but he won't be dominating like DE's that I'm used to seeing from App (really they haven't been since the departure of Murrell). I find it interesting that 1st team AA, Anthony Williams, will not be starting for us anymore because he was pushed back in the depth chart. I am predicting Malcolm Bennett will be the defensive MVP.

Eugene Holloman coming back scares me... He is a good player and with the combination of Landers they will be able to chew up some yards.

Also, this is the first time in a while that App has had to play at JMU which tough road games are always difficult. The fan base should be rocking for this one too.

I think a big underlying factor is that we do have that extra week to prepare while JMU will have a match-up with a top 10 team that week. That will definitely be hard to overcome.

ASU hasn't had the pressure off the ends that they have enjoyed in the past, but remember, pass rush generally starts with the tackles and pressure up the middle. That pressure keeps the QB from moving up into the pocket and cuts the angles, making the end's job easier. ASU did not have the pressure up the middle last season.

As for Holloman, hasn't every team that ASU has faced over the past 2 seasons had the world's greatest back? He doesn't scare me anymore than any of those.

Playing on the road...no big deal. ASU will have played at LSU just a few weeks prior. No disrespect to Bridgeforth, but it ain't Death Valley (or the Big House, for that matter).

I think ASU's d-line will be much better in this game than they were in the first round of last year's playoffs. First, they should be fairly well rested. Second, the addition of some guys in the middle (Bennett, Witte) will make a difference. I also don't care about short fields or long fields. No team has been able to stop a healthy AE-led ASU offense yet, JMU will not be able to, either. If MM keys in on the QB run too much, the RBs and WRs will run free all day. There are just too many playmakers on the ASU offense.

Saint3333
August 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
ASU fans please do not bring streamers. I have great respect for JMU, but the streamer throwing is silly. xnonono2x

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Playing on the road...no big deal. ASU will have played at LSU just a few weeks prior. No disrespect to Bridgeforth, but it ain't Death Valley (or the Big House, for that matter).

Of course Bridgeforth isn't remotely close to the Big House or Death Valley. While playing in Bridgeforth won't intimdate or rattle ASU I'm sure you agree that ASU over the course of many home and away games plays a little better at home than they do on the road. An other teams that play ASU tend to play them better at home than @ ASU. Same will go for JMU. If you don't think it makes a big difference if this game was played @ ASU vs @ JMU you're probably kidding yourself.

And as has been said before, ASU's "Miracle on the Mountain" was the most devastating loss for JMU in 30 some years of football. I don't think ASU fans realize the extent to which the JMU team will be focused on re-match, bringing a lot of anger and frustration, possible even to the extent of looking past a top 10 UMass the week before to the point where it causes a loss. Add in the fact that ASU coming in at a likely 1-1 and ranked #1 (1st time a #1 will have visited JMU since McNeese in 94') will all add to the MONSTER game atmosphere with it certainly being JMU's biggest home game ever (including 2 home playoff games in the 90s) It will literally be JMU's superbowl, knowing a win would go a long way towards healing the pain of that 1st round loss.

T-Dog
August 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
And as has been said before, ASU's "Miracle on the Mountain" was the most devastating loss for JMU in 30 some years of football. I don't think ASU fans realize the extent to which the JMU team will be focused on re-match, bringing a lot of anger and frustration, possible even to the extent of looking past a top 10 UMass the week before to the point where it causes a loss. Add in the fact that ASU coming in at a likely 1-1 and ranked #1 (1st time a #1 will have visited JMU since McNeese in 94') will all add to the MONSTER game atmosphere with it certainly being JMU's biggest home game ever (including 2 home playoff games in the 90s) It will literally be JMU's superbowl, knowing a win would go a long way towards healing the pain of that 1st round loss.

We already have a Miracle on the Mountain. If anything, the last 90-some seconds of last year's game was "The Miracle on the Mountain II" (or miracles?) or as we've gotten use to call it, FUMBLE!!!!!

Also We'll most likely be 2-1 going into the game with @ LSU, then Jacksonville then Presby at home before going to JMU.

Now onto the subject, most of the App fans I know, plus on the MMB, know how big this game is for JMU. We know this is JMU's most anticipated game of the year. We know JMU will probably be #2 heading into it, and not to put you down or the significance of it, but we've been the most important game on our opponent's schedule for two years now. We know what it's like walking into another stadium with their singular focus to beat us. We've been circled on Furman's calendar every year since 2002, we drew more people to Elon and Gardner-Webb than any other game has in each stadium, GaSo is having a first ever Blue Out this year against us, Wofford played harder than any team I've seen play against us in recent memory last year, etc. We've been there. I think our experience in playing at hostile road environments is invaluable to us for this game.

Now having said that, we know this will be bigger than most of those games. It's our most likely lost behind LSU. I got tickets and am pumped, but know it's a toss-up at this moment. I've seen the JMU boards on caasports.com, Dukes fans HATE US. I haven't seen a foe with so much rage bottled up at us in recent memory. This rematch couldn't have been more perfect for JMU. First thing I said walking out after the ASU/JMU game last year to my friend was "Remember, we gotta go to their place next year, that's going to be nuts."

This to me, has more significance for JMU than is does ASU. If they lose this game, JMU will be devastated. If we lose, I seriously doubt we'll be devastated.

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Also We'll most likely be 2-1 going into the game with @ LSU, then Jacksonville then Presby at home before going to JMU.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Uh, you better check your schedule. JMU is ASU's 3rd game. It would be impossible for ASU to be 2-1 going into the JMU game. ASU plays Presby Sept 27th, the week after JMU. Like I said, ASU will likely be 1-1 going into the JMU game.

This to me, has more significance for JMU than is does ASU. If they lose this game, JMU will be devastated. If we lose, I seriously doubt we'll be devastated.

Probably true.

T-Dog
August 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Uh, you better check your schedule. JMU is ASU's 3rd game. It would be impossible for ASU to be 2-1 going into the JMU game. ASU plays Presby Sept 27th, the week after JMU. Like I said, ASU will likely be 1-1 going into the JMU game.

Ah dang it. I knew we had two Saturdays after LSU before JMU. I forgot the second one was a bye.

2-0 it'll be going into the JMU game. xcoolx xpeacex xprayx xprost2x xbeerchugx

BeauFoster
August 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Of course Bridgeforth isn't remotely close to the Big House or Death Valley. While playing in Bridgeforth won't intimdate or rattle ASU I'm sure you agree that ASU over the course of many home and away games plays a little better at home than they do on the road. An other teams that play ASU tend to play them better at home than @ ASU. Same will go for JMU. If you don't think it makes a big difference if this game was played @ ASU vs @ JMU you're probably kidding yourself.

I understand what you are saying about the atmosphere and such, and you are probably correct - it will be electric. And no, ASU hasn't played a road playoff game in 3 years (not counting Chatty), so the big game on the road thing does have some merit. But as T-Dog said, ASU has been the superbowl for every team it has faced in the past two seasons, none more so than last. The pressure will be nothing new to them. My biggest question is how will JMU's squad react to all the external pressure being put on their backs? It seems that many fans, and possibly even the coaching staff have pumped this game up to stratospheric levels. JMU's tough conference schedule has probably aided the players in dealing with it to an extent, but nothing like this. This game seems to be like 3 NC games, wrapped up in a Michigan game, stuffed into an LSU game all on one plate for some of the JMU fans. That is likely to affect the players.

B&G
August 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM

There is a flip side to that coin. That extreme want for revenge also means added pressure. My biggest worry for JMU in this game would be Coach Matthews pulling a Bobby Lamb and making some dumb decision because he wants so badly to beat App. All things considered I think these teams are pretty even but that could be the biggest X factor.

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
HUGE game for both teams, which is unusual for OOC games that early in the season.

Huge for JMU for obvious reasons... revenge, rankings, seeding

Huge for App because after this game there is a very real chance they are 1-2 and play @GSU, Furman, and Wofford in consecutive weeks in October before hosting Elon a couple of weeks later.

I know this sounds crazy but that schedule is not to be sneezed at and there is a distinct possibility App could have 4 losses (especially if Edwards gets dinged again this year) and not make the playoffs.

App loses this game and if they have the same conference record as 2007 they may be sitting home come Thanksgiving.

we are in the playoffs if we go 8-4 with our schedule and pedigree

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
ASU fans please do not bring streamers. I have great respect for JMU, but the streamer throwing is silly. xnonono2x

I agree we should not stooop to that level... (I DO NOT MEAN THIS NEGATIVELY)

AshevilleApp2
August 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
JMU fans, where should we eat and drink while in Harrisonburg? Tailgate? How about places to hike on Saturday before tailgating time?

Turfwar
August 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Should be a great game, I am looking forward to it, I think that JMU tops this game, not because of the revenge factor, but because they have
more experience and Landers will be healthy this time.

I see a physical game, but JMU controls the ball on the ground and in the end sends ASU back to Boone [37 - 24]

AppStFan76
August 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Should be a great game, I am looking forward to it, I think that JMU tops this game, not because of the revenge factor, but because they have
more experience and Landers will be healthy this time.

I see a physical game, but JMU controls the ball on the ground and in the end sends ASU back to Boone [37 - 24]

I agree that it will be a great game, and a hard fought one too. But I disagree with your out come, I think MM gets out coached again and App wins this one by at least 7!

But as we say AGS!!

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
JMU fans, where should we eat and drink while in Harrisonburg? Tailgate? How about places to hike on Saturday before tailgating time?

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&ATCLID=785406
Click on the campus map. I'm pretty sure R1 by the baseball stadium (maybe 1/3 mi. walk to stadium) and the Convo Lots (maybe 1/2 mi. walk to stadium) are Gen admission. Not sure about the lots (C10 & C12 by the field hockey stadium, maybe 2/3 mi walk to stadium).

There is a BW3 (great sports bar)
http://locations.buffalowildwings.com/#
about a 1/2 mi walk from the stadium
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Harrisonburg&state=VA&address=1007+South+Main
Stadium isn't shown on maqquest map, but if you blow it up it is between Newman Lake, The RR trascks, Bluestone Drive and Champions drive.

There is also a Hams (another great sports bar)
http://hamsrestaurants.com/findus.htm
about maybe a mi walk from the lots across the the interstate (field hockey & convo) and maybe about 1.5 mi. walk from the stadium:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Harrisonburg&state=VA&address=221+University+Blvd&zipcode=22801-3749&country=US&latitude=38.429734&longitude=-78.848961&geocode=ADDRESS

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&ATCLID=785406
Click on the campus map. I'm pretty sure R1 by the baseball stadium (maybe 1/3 mi. walk to stadium) and the Convo Lots (maybe 1/2 mi. walk to stadium) are Gen admission. Not sure about the lots (C10 & C12 by the field hockey stadium, maybe 2/3 mi walk to stadium).

There is a BW3 (great sports bar)
http://locations.buffalowildwings.com/#
about a 1/2 mi walk from the stadium
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Harrisonburg&state=VA&address=1007+South+Main
Stadium isn't shown on maqquest map, but if you blow it up it is between Newman Lake, The RR tracks, Bluestone Drive and Champions drive.

There is also a Hams (another great sports bar)
http://hamsrestaurants.com/findus.htm
about maybe a mi walk from the lots across the the interstate (field hockey & convo) and maybe about 1.5 mi. walk from the stadium:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Harrisonburg&state=VA&address=221+University+Blvd&zipcode=22801-3749&country=US&latitude=38.429734&longitude=-78.848961&geocode=ADDRESS

As far as hiking, about 1/2 hr from JMU:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
it seems like forever that you all have been talking about the expansions that are coming to your stadium... it even seems as though some diagrams were posted on here a few months ago... when should the work get started... i know their are phases so what is in each phase?

JMU2004
August 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
well, JMU fans have been discussing expansion for years now....

HOWEVER, the video that we have all seen was released in January.

Expansion starts in 2009, with completion of phase 1 in 2010. Phase 2 and Phase 3 are probably another 5 to 10 years down the road.

The main point it this....by 2014, JMU will already have a 25,000 seat stadium and getting ready for phase 2. That should give you a very clear understanding that JMU wants to be well positioned when re-allignment takes place.

here is the link if you have not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

JmuSkinsfan
August 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM

We are right off skyline drive (about a 20 minute drive) so you could up up I-81 north a little further, hop on the blue ridge parkway and find a number of hiking spots. Do some research beforehand but there are plenty.

Not too many good bars around...but then again I don't do the bar thing since I'm still a student (prefer to tailgate). BWW is practically on campus...and Ham's is great as well. I'd recommend grabbing a spot over in the convo. lot and just tailgating ... but those are the two best sports bars.

There is also a new place that opened up last year called Firetop Bar and Grill. They have a bunch of flat panels and pretty good middle eastern food as well as a bar. They have hooka as well if that is something you enjoy. Only problem is it is about 2 miles from campus...so you'd have to have a DD to get you to the game...

ericsaid
August 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
We are right off skyline drive (about a 20 minute drive) so you could up up I-81 north a little further, hop on the blue ridge parkway and find a number of hiking spots. Do some research beforehand but there are plenty.

Not too many good bars around...but then again I don't do the bar thing since I'm still a student (prefer to tailgate). BWW is practically on campus...and Ham's is great as well. I'd recommend grabbing a spot over in the convo. lot and just tailgating ... but those are the two best sports bars.

There is also a new place that opened up last year called Firetop Bar and Grill. They have a bunch of flat panels and pretty good middle eastern food as well as a bar. They have hooka as well if that is something you enjoy. Only problem is it is about 2 miles from campus...so you'd have to have a DD to get you to the game...

Anyone who hasn't tried hookah and doesn't mind cigars. This is the best in the world and much better than cigars. Nothing but straight flavor of smoke. More of an increasing fad for college students. Pretty amazing though.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
August 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
General Douchebaggery,

ASU-MBA:

Welcome to AGS. I see you've met CitDog. He's harmless. He does not mean half of what he says, & the other half is meant just to get a response. Near as I can figure he actually does know something about FCS football.

I too have an MBA from App. from when the School of Biz was in Walker Hall (1985). I busted my butt studying for those two years.

Enjoy yourself here. Many AGS posters know more about FCS football than many "experts" & talking heads on ESPN. In fact, the AGS poll is usu. the best predictor of the final season rankings than any other poll or ranking system.

Feel free to diss West. Car. - just not too much as they cry if you hit them too hard. Might hurt their feewings.

Anyway, have fun, post often, & see you in Boone!

JmuSkinsfan
August 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Anyone who hasn't tried hookah and doesn't mind cigars. This is the best in the world and much better than cigars. Nothing but straight flavor of smoke. More of an increasing fad for college students. Pretty amazing though.xthumbsupx

Haha, touche. It's not great for you, but it's better than the other tobacco products. I love that place...nothing better than drinks, hookah and sports. Although, my roommates and I went in on a nice hookah about 2 years ago so I can have all that in the comfort of my townhouse...for free (kinda)

ericsaid
August 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Haha, touche. It's not great for you, but it's better than the other tobacco products. I love that place...nothing better than drinks, hookah and sports. Although, my roommates and I went in on a nice hookah about 2 years ago so I can have all that in the comfort of my townhouse...for free (kinda)

Haha, yeah nothings to expensive though. A friend of mine has one and they are pretty great and an awesome alternative to cigars and cigarettes. Best thing though for people who haven't tried it. I don't tailgate but I imagine that it would turn a few heads if someone decided to smoke hookah at their tailgate.xthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
August 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Haha, yeah nothings to expensive though. A friend of mine has one and they are pretty great and an awesome alternative to cigars and cigarettes. Best thing though for people who haven't tried it. I don't tailgate but I imagine that it would turn a few heads if someone decided to smoke hookah at their tailgate.xthumbsupx

Well, if you're going to the jmu game and walk through the hillside parking lot and see a tailgate with a hookah...feel free to stop in...it'll be mine xnodx

Hoboken Dukes
August 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
if you're looking to do some hiking before the game, just trudge around campus and enjoy the 60/40 girl to guy ratio. i'm sure the coeds will be out in all their resplendant purple & gold glory.

cannot wait for this tailgate. over 4 years of slowly adding pieces to the pre-game setup, i think we've got our spot in showker lot pimped out to levels necessitated by a game of this magnitude.

appfan2008
August 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
i like that ratio

Hoboken Dukes
August 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
it was around 55-45 when i was a student, graduated in '01, the next two years, no joke, it was 70-30 frosh admissions. i did a triple take when i saw that. luckily i have 3 younger bros who all went there (youngest is a senior now). always good to feel the creepster coming back when you're 29, tailgating, and your bro brings along a cadre of 21 year old lassies by. giddy-up.

appfan2008
August 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
sounds like your family is jmu through and through

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I understand what you are saying about the atmosphere and such, and you are probably correct - it will be electric. And no, ASU hasn't played a road playoff game in 3 years (not counting Chatty), so the big game on the road thing does have some merit. But as T-Dog said, ASU has been the superbowl for every team it has faced in the past two seasons, none more so than last. The pressure will be nothing new to them. My biggest question is how will JMU's squad react to all the external pressure being put on their backs? It seems that many fans, and possibly even the coaching staff have pumped this game up to stratospheric levels. JMU's tough conference schedule has probably aided the players in dealing with it to an extent, but nothing like this. This game seems to be like 3 NC games, wrapped up in a Michigan game, stuffed into an LSU game all on one plate for some of the JMU fans. That is likely to affect the players.

This is simply an out of conference game to Mickey. Sure, he'll hype things up a little bit for the press, he always does, but his focus year-in and year-out is on conference play.

This year is no different.

My prime example is looking at the last two years:
1.) We dropped an easy one to Villanova, sending us to Youngstown St. in 2006. Losing to App St. was not the deciding factor.
2.) We pooped the bed vs. Richmond, AGAIN on our Homecoming (5 years in a row the opposite team wins on the other's Homecoming - UR finally made sure this year the week they play JMU it is NOT Homecoming xlolx not sure if we figured that out yet... xsmhx ). If we win that game, we win the CAA and probably get a seed. No travel to App St. for round 1.

Lesson: win your conference and the rest doesn't matter.

I just think this game is much bigger for JMU fans than it is the coaches or players. Do they want some revenge? Sure. But they'd rather have another NC, and winning the conference is step 1.

Eight Legger
August 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
The most interesting thing about this game to me is that one of these teams will not make the playoffs this year, and this game will probably determine which one.

asknoquarter21
August 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
yea, but I think the winner of this game has a huge advantage in getting a seed.

asknoquarter21
August 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The most interesting thing about this game to me is that one of these teams will not make the playoffs this year, and this game will probably determine which one.

both will make playoffs....xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
August 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM

That's a pretty bold statement (although not entirely unrealistic). Care to give the reasoning behind it?

mcveyrl
August 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry. Double post.

matboz
August 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone have any insight on where I can look for tickets to this game (message boards, etc)? I have looked around online and haven't found any (stubhub, ebay, etc). I realize its sold out, but for any sporting event there are going to be tickets for sale ...

ericsaid
August 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Battle of the last two FCS/1-aa Champions!!!

bench
August 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I ordered tickets through jmusports.com on March 5. Tickets were supposed to be mailed out this week, and I haven't gotten anything yet either way - no tickets, no confirmation/rejection by mail or email, no refund to my credit card, nada. Does anyone know when we should hear something?

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
August 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Anyone have any insight on where I can look for tickets to this game (message boards, etc)? I have looked around online and haven't found any (stubhub, ebay, etc). I realize its sold out, but for any sporting event there are going to be tickets for sale ...

Not officially sold out yet. Ticket office just opened up some more tix, so try giving them a call.

540-JMU-DUKE

matboz
August 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Just ordered 4 endzone tickets, Thanks FanOfAllThatIsJMU! Now if only I can find some hometown fans to host a few panther fans to some tailgating ... I bring good beer:)

mcveyrl
August 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Just ordered 4 endzone tickets, Thanks FanOfAllThatIsJMU! Now if only I can find some hometown fans to host a few panther fans to some tailgating ... I bring good beer:)

You're always welcome in the convocation parking lot...

Not sure where we'll be though.

BDKJMU
August 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This is simply an out of conference game to Mickey. Sure, he'll hype things up a little bit for the press, he always does, but his focus year-in and year-out is on conference play.

This year is no different.

My prime example is looking at the last two years:
1.) We dropped an easy one to Villanova, sending us to Youngstown St. in 2006. Losing to App St. was not the deciding factor.
2.) We pooped the bed vs. Richmond, AGAIN on our Homecoming (5 years in a row the opposite team wins on the other's Homecoming - UR finally made sure this year the week they play JMU it is NOT Homecoming xlolx not sure if we figured that out yet... xsmhx ). If we win that game, we win the CAA and probably get a seed. No travel to App St. for round 1.

Lesson: win your conference and the rest doesn't matter.

I just think this game is much bigger for JMU fans than it is the coaches or players. Do they want some revenge? Sure. But they'd rather have another NC, and winning the conference is step 1.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx You posted this right after JMU2K_DukeDawg was talking about the JMU-UR game. Which game are you refering to? JMU-UR or JMU-ASU? I'd be be willing to wager on it all 3 teams making the playoffs, one of them being a seed, and the winner of the JMU-UR will at least tie for a share of the CAA title.

Hoboken Dukes
August 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
bad news is it's not sold out. just got 4 more tix. good news is their are only end zone seats left and not many at that.

Eight Legger
August 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That's a pretty bold statement (although not entirely unrealistic). Care to give the reasoning behind it?

I don't know what will happen, but I do know there's little margin for error in FCS football. Both of these teams play in great conferences, and I can't remember a year in which all the teams expected to make the playoffs from these two leagues did. There's always one or two darkhorses that claim spots. I could see Furman and Villanova being those kind of teams this year.

JMU has a very tough schedule and could realistically have a losing record coming into the ASU game. ASU was fortunate not to suffer any injuries against Michigan last year, but will the same be true against LSU this year? If Edwards gets hurt, how does that change things?

I am just going with a hunch on this one that one of these teams is on the outside looking in come playoff time.

elon77
August 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I don't know what will happen, but I do know there's little margin for error in FCS football. Both of these teams play in great conferences, and I can't remember a year in which all the teams expected to make the playoffs from these two leagues did. There's always one or two darkhorses that claim spots. I could see Furman and Villanova being those kind of teams this year.

JMU has a very tough schedule and could realistically have a losing record coming into the ASU game. ASU was fortunate not to suffer any injuries against Michigan last year, but will the same be true against LSU this year? If Edwards gets hurt, how does that change things?

I am just going with a hunch on this one that one of these teams is on the outside looking in come playoff time.

WHOW, YOU JUST MADE SOMEONE MADxnodx

ASUG8
August 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Only the LSU game gets me more excited this season. I think the JMU game will bring out the best in both teams, especially given the emotion left on the field last year. Playing in their house should give them the advantage (arguably they may already have one) but I think this will be one of the better regular season matchups of the season.xthumbsupx

Appguy
August 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know how to get tickets they were available then they just went away but it says limited availability - Endzone only???

ericsaid
August 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM

JMU has a very tough schedule and could realistically have a losing record coming into the ASU game. ASU was fortunate not to suffer any injuries against Michigan last year, but will the same be true against LSU this year? If Edwards gets hurt, how does that change things? I am just going with a hunch on this one that one of these teams is on the outside looking in come playoff time.

According to the QB coach Scott Satterfield, Deandre Pressley is farther along at this time with the offense then Armanti was his freshman year and he has a stronger arm although not as accurate. Armanti started his freshmen season and went to a national championship. If Pressley is farther along god help anyone after AE leaves or when Pressley is put in the game. Look for his stats after the Jacksonville game(maybe LSU depending on the score). He's been impressive in fall camp according to the practice reports.

Appalachian Mountains. Not the Armanti Mountainers. One player doesn't make a team and App has back ups who are more than capable of taking the reins and leading the team. Although they'd be much better off with Armanti, theres still the other 21 players.xpeacex

ericsaid
August 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Funny.