PDA

View Full Version : NEC Coaches Eye Autobid

DFW HOYA
August 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM
From the Staten Island Advance:

Albany coach Bob Ford: "The school presidents in June voted to increase the scholarships by two each year until we reach 40 full rides. A great decision. It will help close the gap: We'll be playing schools with 63."

In the postseason.

http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/index.ssf?/base/Sports/1218623414147950.xml&coll=1

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM
just what the playoofs need....more teams that suck and take spots from deserving teams. nec should be div III where they belong

UAalum72
August 13th, 2008, 07:18 AM
It won't be taking a spot from any third-rate military fantasy camps, which haven't been to the playoffs since before the NEC was formed.

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
It won't be taking a spot from any third-rate military fantasy camps, which haven't been to the playoffs since before the NEC was formed.

fantasy camp? that's pretty funny......coming from yankee scum like you....your ancestors didn't consider us third rate whilst we were doing Yahweh's good work filling them with Southern STEEL! your "conference" is a joke and an embarassment to FCS Football.......get thyself to div III where you belong!

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The NEC is doing what they can to help the OVC and MEAC get some postseason wins. ;)

If the NEC wants to compete on a consistent basis at the end of November -- they need to continue to add scholarships and reach 63.

UAalum72
August 13th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Not my ancestors, they were still Polish peasants in the 1860s. However, when Evander Law (SCMA '56) tried to lead Hood's division up Little Round Top, the (http://home.nycap.rr.com/civilwar/hustedgettysburg.htm)Normal School Company took three times its number in prisoners. Link : The Normal School Company (http://home.nycap.rr.com/civilwar/hustedgettysburg.htm)
http://home.nycap.rr.com/civilwar/hustedseated.JPG
Capt. Albert Husted, Company E, 44th NY Volunteer Infantry
http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/campusbuildings/images/hustedhall.jpg
Husted Hall, University at Albany

aceinthehole
August 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM
The NEC is doing what they can to help the OVC and MEAC get some postseason wins. ;)

If the NEC wants to compete on a consistent basis at the end of November -- they need to continue to add scholarships and reach 63.

Why? Ask Colgate, Lehigh, Delaware, Georgia Southern, and Fordham how many schollys we need. The NEC has beaten 63-scholly teams with less than 30 rides already!

Don't be suprised if the NEC notches some more wins vs. more 63-schollys teams this year. Maine, Rhode Island, Hofstra, Delaware State, are prime targets this fall.

bobbythekidd
August 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Why? Ask Colgate, Lehigh, Delaware, Georgia Southern, and Fordham how many schollys we need. The NEC has beaten 63-scholly teams with less than 30 rides already!

Don't be suprised if the NEC notches some more wins vs. more 63-schollys teams this year. Maine, Rhode Island, Hofstra, Delaware State, are prime targets this fall.
You shouldn't count GSU 2006.

Dane96
Not my ancestors, they were still Polish peasants in the 1860s. However, when Evander Law (SCMA '56) tried to lead Hood's division up Little Round Top, the (http://home.nycap.rr.com/civilwar/hustedgettysburg.htm)Normal School Company took three times its number in prisoners. Link : The Normal School Company (http://home.nycap.rr.com/civilwar/hustedgettysburg.htm)

Bah...bah...bahahahahahahaha!

WOW!

Dane96
You shouldn't count GSU 2006.

Why...did you guys have less than 63 rides?

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Ask Jim Mora about PLAYOFFS! The regular season is one thing, but it's another in the PLAYOFFS!

You guys have no track record in the playoffs. Time to step up and get ready to play the big boys. Throw in the fact each game you play in the playoffs will be on the road -- that'll be tough.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/JimMoraRant1.jpg

Dane96
August 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
So....CCSU at Ga. Southern, Albany at Delaware, Albany at Fordham, CCSU at Colgate, etc....were not road games.

Worry about yourselves.

bobbythekidd
No, we were lacking a coach.

aceinthehole
Ask Jim Mora about PLAYOFFS! The regular season is one thing, but it's another in the PLAYOFFS!

You guys have no track record in the playoffs. Time to step up and get ready to play the big boys. Throw in the fact each game you play in the playoffs will be on the road -- that'll be tough.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/JimMoraRant1.jpg

You're right. :)

The NEC is UNDEFEATED in the playoffs! xnodx

Dane96
Lacking a coach? So...in FCS football we give handicap points now?

bobbythekidd
August 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Why...did you guys have less than 63 rides?
No we were lacking a coach

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM

i'll be the one burning that building to the ground. General Law was a fine leader and a fine example of THE CITADEL MAN.....went up that hill 50 times and killed many yankee scum who descended from the slums of europe.....300,000 total in the War....God how I wish it were 3 million!

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
So....CCSU at Ga. Southern, Albany at Delaware, Albany at Fordham, CCSU at Colgate, etc....were not road games.

Those were road games, but one thing to win in the regular season, another to win in the playoffs...ask teams who have gone undefeated playing cupcake schedules during the year and crumble when the lights come on.

Until proven otherwise (and it may be some time before that occurs), the NEC is just first-round fodder for the current also-rans of the playoffs... xnodx

Dane96
August 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
i'll be the one burning that building to the ground. General Law was a fine leader and a fine example of THE CITADEL MAN.....went up that hill 50 times and killed many yankee scum who descended from the slums of europe.....300,000 total in the War....God how I wish it were 3 million!

Then I guess I will have to kill a fellow Jew if you tried that!

Do you like small-arms...or large-caliber lead? xsmiley_wix

UAalum72
August 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
i'll be the one burning that building to the ground. General Law was a fine leader and a fine example of THE CITADEL MAN.....went up that hill 50 times
50 times in a two-hour battle for the hill? That's a lot of retreating.

who descended from the slums of europe.....
Yeah right, I'm sure none of the Southern infantry were descendents of slum-dwellers.

and killed many yankee scum 300,000 total in the War....God how I wish it were 3 million!
Is there anything this loser can say that will get him banned?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
As long as the playoffs are still being expanded by four teams, I have no problem giving the NEC an AB.

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
An open letter to TT (and SE and McTailgator, etc..):

Get over it. NEC is going to play in the playoffs. It's settled. Not every conference will be the best conference. It doesn't work like that. There will always be a hierarchy of conferences. And why is that a bad thing?

You $h!t on the NEC for what reason? The NEC has done nothing but abide by NCAA rules for the division and take its lumps along the way. The NEC did what they were asked to do. They played the NCAA money game. They now offer scholarships. What does it matter you whether its 6, 30, or 63 rides? Does McNeese [insert your team here] depend on the NEC not offering scholarships or being in the playoffs to determine its success?

I feel like you guys are living in the past for some reason. FCS has changed. If you don't like it, lobby your schools to move. And don't give me the BS line that thte Southland is moving the entire conference to FBS.....because its not and you know it.

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Is there anything this asshole can say that will get him banned?

No.

Dane96
August 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
The are from the Swamp areas. Of course they are living in the past...news travels slow down there!

They need to get the free credit for when the TV switches over- rabbit ears wont work anymore!

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Back on topic.

Whether asked or not, all the coaches made reference to the league's impending automatic bid to the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) postseason championship tourney and to the possibility of the NEC champion getting a bid this season and next if its members post a cumulative above-.500 record against teams whose conference champions receive automatic bids.

That criteria is different than what we saw in the expansion announcement.

What we saw was: 1) it wins a minimum of eight games, 2) defeats at least two teams from FCS conferences already with an automatic bid, 3) and at the end of the regular season is ranked an average of No. 16 or higher in the Sports Network, Coaches, and GPI (supposedly, but never confirmed on the GPI).

Having a cumulatuve winning record is much different and much more achievable if you ask me.

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 09:06 AM
50 times in a two-hour battle for the hill? That's a lot of retreating.

Yeah right, I'm sure none of the Southern infantry were descendents of slum-dwellers.

Is there anything this loser can say that will get him banned?

left the "little rocky hill" strewn with the bodies of the vile yankee subjugators......wasn't NEARLY ENOUGH!

those who settled the South were descended from the Cavaliers of England.......those who settled the godforsaken north....ROUNDHEADS.

loser? you have me confused with someone else......i am 2-0 in the wars I took an active part in......what's your record?

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
NEC games against AQ conferences:

Albany
UMass
Hofstra
UNH
Delaware

CCSU
NDSU
Delaware State

Duquense
Bucknell

Monmouth
Rhode Island
Maine
Coastal Carolina

RMU
Bucknell

St. Francis
VMI

I count 12 games. I take back my earlier statement because winning 7 games will be tough.

Possible wins are:
Hofstra (UA)
Delaware State (CCSU)
Bucknell (Duq)
URI (Mon)
Maine (Mon)

St. Francis got killed by VMI last year so I can't count them. But I RMU could beat Bucknell. I can see that happening.

If Albany, CCSU or Monmouth could steal another one we'd be in business. This is also a better criteria (if true) because it takes the winning requirement to the field and away from biased voters.

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
The are from the Swamp areas. Of course they are living in the past...news travels slow down there!

They need to get the free credit for when the TV switches over- rabbit ears wont work anymore!

I'll take Charleston over upstate ny anyday....and twice on the shabbat.......there is a town in your State named HICKSVILLE for God's sake!

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I'll take Charleston over upstate ny anyday....and twice on the shabbat.......there is a town in your State named HICKSVILLE for God's sake!

I will make no excuse for Long Island.xlolx

Now I know its hard to do, but get back on topic Citdog. Jeeeshxcoffeex

Dane96
August 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I was referring to McGator...TT...and others.

I like Charleston.

aceinthehole
August 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
So what do you guys think of the coaches soundbites and media articles?

I was impressed by Ford. He is really the guy who has pushed this conference to new levesl with scheduleing and schollys. Our coach had nothing but praise and respect for him, as well as Hamline (Wag), callahan (MU), and Walton (RMU). I do think the relative stability in coaching (sans CCSU/SHU/SFPA) has helped this league.

And the media coverage was great. I love my guy from the NB Herald, but the SI Advance, Asbury Park Press, Albany and Pitt papers doi a good job too. I'm excited about this league. I know sometimes Albany fans get a little antsy looking at SBU and other things, but I think this is a great fit for now.

Albany Times-Union -Ford Downplays UAlbany's No. 1 Tag
Staten Island Advance - Automatic NCAA Bid Perks Up NEC Coaches
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - NEC Tabs Duquesne As Fifth Place Team
Asbury Park Press - Monmouth Picked To Finish 2nd In NEC
New Britain Herald - NEC Football Getting Bigger And Better
Connecticut Post - SHU Has Questions To Answer In NEC

If we can win a few more big games some teams can make a little noise in some major outlets.

New York City - Wagner
Pittsburgh/Western PA - Duquesne, RMU, and St. Francis
Hartford/New Britain - CCSU
Albany - UA
Bridgeport (Conn.) - Sacred Heart
Northern Jersey/Shore - Monmouth

UAalum72
August 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
those who settled the South were descended from the Cavaliers of England.......those who settled the godforsaken north....ROUNDHEADS.

loser?
Cavaliers lost the English Civil War. And I said the infantry, not the cut-rate faux aristocrats that led them.

And wasn't the SCMA really founded to protect Charleston from slaves who fought for their freedom, making them just glorified slave-catchers?

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Cavaliers lost the English Civil War. And I said the infantry, not the cut-rate faux aristocrats that led them.

And wasn't the SCMA really founded to protect Charleston from slaves who fought for their freedom, making them just glorified slave-catchers?

THE CITADEL was founded in part in response to the Stono Rebellion and the MURDERER Denmark Vessey. the State saw the coming collision with the Federal Government and knew that SC would need Officers to lead her forces.

danefan
August 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
So what do you guys think of the coaches soundbites and media articles?

I was impressed by Ford. He is really the guy who has pushed this conference to new levesl with scheduleing and schollys. Our coach had nothing but praise and respect for him, as well as Hamline (Wag), callahan (MU), and Walton (RMU). I do think the relative stability in coaching (sans CCSU/SHU/SFPA) has helped this league.

And the media coverage was great. I love my guy from the NB Herald, but the SI Advance, Asbury Park Press, Albany and Pitt papers doi a good job too. I'm excited about this league. I know sometimes Albany fans get a little antsy looking at SBU and other things, but I think this is a great fit for now.

Albany Times-Union -Ford Downplays UAlbany's No. 1 Tag
Staten Island Advance - Automatic NCAA Bid Perks Up NEC Coaches
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - NEC Tabs Duquesne As Fifth Place Team
Asbury Park Press - Monmouth Picked To Finish 2nd In NEC
New Britain Herald - NEC Football Getting Bigger And Better
Connecticut Post - SHU Has Questions To Answer In NEC

If we can win a few more big games some teams can make a little noise in some major outlets.

New York City - Wagner
Pittsburgh/Western PA - Duquesne, RMU, and St. Francis
Hartford/New Britain - CCSU
Albany - UA
Bridgeport (Conn.) - Sacred Heart
Northern Jersey/Shore - Monmouth

I think it was great. I wish they did an in person media day, but I guess the logistics of it may be tough. Plus Coach Ford would never leave a day of practice to do it.

Maybe next year they'll do a video conference instead of a phone conference.

The coverage has been great and like Coach Ford I think a lot of the credit for the progress has to be given to Brenda Weare. I had an email conversation with her about the Mid-major rankings and she was very forthright and honest about the conference and its goals. She's a good one to hold onto, although the NEC seems to be a stepping stone of late for Conference Administrators.

Seawolf97
August 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Yikes Hicksville! Put it in South Carolina it would probably be the 2nd largest city in the statexlolx

redflash2
August 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
NEC games against AQ conferences:

Albany
UMass
Hofstra
UNH
Delaware

CCSU
NDSU
Delaware State

Duquense
Bucknell

Monmouth
Rhode Island
Maine
Coastal Carolina

RMU
Bucknell

St. Francis
VMI

I count 12 games. I take back my earlier statement because winning 7 games will be tough.

Possible wins are:
Hofstra (UA)
Delaware State (CCSU)
Bucknell (Duq)
URI (Mon)
Maine (Mon)

St. Francis got killed by VMI last year so I can't count them. But I RMU could beat Bucknell. I can see that happening.

If Albany, CCSU or Monmouth could steal another one we'd be in business. This is also a better criteria (if true) because it takes the winning requirement to the field and away from biased voters.

we didn't play vmi last year, we played liberty. I think SFU has a good chance of beating VMI this year. The NEC is up and coming so stop all the hating on the NEC

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Whether asked or not, all the coaches made reference to the league's impending automatic bid to the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) postseason championship tourney and to the possibility of the NEC champion getting a bid this season and next if its members post a cumulative above-.500 record against teams whose conference champions receive automatic bids.

If this qualification for the playoffs is indeed true (which would mean it was misreported initially), I think it's an incredibly stupid criteria. Albany could go 11-0 and still be prevented from the playoffs since Monmouth couldn't beat Maine and Duquesne couldn't beat Bucknell?

Also, FYI, you count Coastal Carolina and VMI which currently isn't an autobid conference. That means the conference would have to go 6-4 against "murderer's row".

Incidentally, that criteria would be harder than the original criteria, which only required that a potential playoff team win one game (I think) against a team with an autobid, that the team be ranked in the Top 16 nationally, and some other criteria that escape me.

I think I had originally figured out that only Albany, CCSU, or Monmouth could get autobids based on the original criteria - I'll check tomorrow.

carney2
August 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
"Whether asked or not, all the coaches made reference to the league's impending automatic bid to the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) postseason championship tourney and to the possibility of the NEC champion getting a bid this season and next if its members post a cumulative above-.500 record against teams whose conference champions receive automatic bids."

Apparently we now have 3 classes of bids to the playoffs:

AUTOBIDS - Champions of qualifying conferences.

AT-LARGE BIDS - Based on a specific team's performance.

SEMI-AUTOBIDS - Bids to the champions of conferences scheduled to get autobids in the future based on the performance of all teams in their conference vs. teams from autobid conferences.

And I thought the Patriot League was the only FCS organization governed by chimps.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I found the original requirements as I understood them originally:

The NEC champion could also automatically qualify for the playoffs as an at-large team this year if they meet some extremely high barriers of entry: eight wins, at least two wins versus autobid conferences, and be ranked 16th or higher. Given these restrictions, only Albany, Central Connecticut State, and Monmouth have a chance to make the playoffs automatically from the NEC this year – however, the NEC winner could also qualify as an at-large team independent of these automatic requirements.

Now, those requirements (especially being ranked #16 or above) are downright onerous.

However... I really don't see these auotbid requirements as a big deal. Is the committee really going to deny an 8-3 Albany team, for example, that was undefeated but went 1-3 against the CAA (against what is very likely to be all nationally-ranked opponents)? They would have a great at-large resume anyway. Similarly, if CCSU beats NDSU and goes 9-2 or Monmouth beats Maine and goes 9-2, are you really going to deny them an at-large even though technically it's not an auto-bid?

Mounmouth and CCSU would be edge cases anyway if they went 8-3 with quality wins over Rhode Island and Delaware State respectively. They'd have to go 9-2 or 10-1 - in which case, they'd be prime at-large candidates anyway.

As for the rest of the NEC, quite frankly they don't have the schedules to deserve inclusion anyway. St. Francis, Wagner and Sacred Heart don't play any teams from autobid conferences, while RMU and Duquesne play Bucknell who historically hasn't been an indicator of strength-of-schedule in the past.

danefan
August 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
we didn't play vmi last year, we played liberty. I think SFU has a good chance of beating VMI this year. The NEC is up and coming so stop all the hating on the NEC

Sorry my mistake. I really though it was VMI. I do think there is a considerable drop-off from Liberty to VMI and that bodes well for St. Francis.

danefan
August 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM
If this qualification for the playoffs is indeed true (which would mean it was misreported initially), I think it's an incredibly stupid criteria. Albany could go 11-0 and still be prevented from the playoffs since Monmouth couldn't beat Maine and Duquesne couldn't beat Bucknell?

Also, FYI, you count Coastal Carolina and VMI which currently isn't an autobid conference. That means the conference would have to go 6-4 against "murderer's row".

Incidentally, that criteria would be harder than the original criteria, which only required that a potential playoff team win one game (I think) against a team with an autobid, that the team be ranked in the Top 16 nationally, and some other criteria that escape me.

I think I had originally figured out that only Albany, CCSU, or Monmouth could get autobids based on the original criteria - I'll check tomorrow.

I found the original requirements as I understood them originally:

Now, those requirements (especially being ranked #16 or above) are downright onerous.

However... I really don't see these auotbid requirements as a big deal. Is the committee really going to deny an 8-3 Albany team, for example, that was undefeated but went 1-3 against the CAA (against what is very likely to be all nationally-ranked opponents)? They would have a great at-large resume anyway. Similarly, if CCSU beats NDSU and goes 9-2 or Monmouth beats Maine and goes 9-2, are you really going to deny them an at-large even though technically it's not an auto-bid?

Mounmouth and CCSU would be edge cases anyway if they went 8-3 with quality wins over Rhode Island and Delaware State respectively. They'd have to go 9-2 or 10-1 - in which case, they'd be prime at-large candidates anyway.

As for the rest of the NEC, quite frankly they don't have the schedules to deserve inclusion anyway. St. Francis, Wagner and Sacred Heart don't play any teams from autobid conferences, while RMU and Duquesne play Bucknell who historically hasn't been an indicator of strength-of-schedule in the past.

Doh. I always forget that Big South is in the same predicament as us. Anyway, I do think it would be harder than the original criteria. But regardless of whatever criteria is put into play you are right: If we get out of our OOC with a 2-2 or 1-3 and trounce through the rest of the schedule like we did last year, it will be hard to deny the at-large.

Unless of course the committee uses the criteria as an excuse (which isn't all that unfathomable). After all, giving an NEC an at-large means one less at-large for a power conference. xcoolx

aceinthehole
August 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think we got a different message from the newspaper reports, and honestly I'm not sure if all the reporters got it right. I agree something was this is a little confusing.

However, we know the NEC champ can get EARNED ACCESS to the playoffs in 2008 and 2009. We get the AUTO-QUALIFIER begining in 2010.

I'm sure an inquiring media representative (LFN) or intersted fan (danefan) could send an e-mail to the NEC commissioner asking to clarify the exact criteria for EARNED ACCESS in '08 & '09. I imagine we would get a clear response.

Seems to me a lot of people are looking for negative things to say about the NEC. xconfusedx Change is on the way - deal with it!

dgreco
August 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
This is from Bryant quoting Brenda Weare

The NEC's automatic access could come sooner than 2010 if its champion meets each of three specified criteria. The Football Championship Committee has determined to award a guaranteed at-large position to any conference champion team that: 1) accrues at least eight Division I victories, 2) wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams from a league that has earned an automatic berth in that given year, and 3) ranks 16th or higher in an average of the last regular season media, coaches and/or computer polls.

aceinthehole
August 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
This is from Bryant quoting Brenda Weare

I think that is the most accurate info. I think some of the reporters yesterday got it wrong.

---
If that is the case, only 3 NEC teams would be eligible for earned access based on their non-conf schedule.

Albany would have to win at least 2 of their 4 road games at CAA opponents (UMass, Hofstra, UNH, Delaware).

CCSU would have to sweep its 2 non-conference road games (NDSU and Delaware State).

Monmouth would need to sweep its 2 CAA opponents (at URI and vs. Maine).

danefan
August 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I think that is the most accurate info. I think some of the reporters yesterday got it wrong.

---
If that is the case, only 3 NEC teams would be eligible for earned access based on their non-conf schedule.

Albany would have to win at least 2 of their 4 road games at CAA opponents (UMass, Hofstra, UNH, Delaware).

CCSU would have to sweep its 2 non-conference road games (NDSU and Delaware State).

Even then, that "unreacheable" top 16 ranking will be the problem.

Cobblestone
August 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
ALL conference champions should get an autobid.

Seawolf97
August 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM

---

I agree any playoff team from the NEC would come from these three schools. Trick is that you must get up in that TOP 16 and maintain it.
That is toughxnodx

IaaScribe
August 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
VMI crushed Robert Morris last year.

dgreco
August 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
It is almost impossible for any team but Albany to make it. To go basically perfect for MU and CCSU is going to be really tough. UA has room to fall a little, not much but a little.

DetroitFlyer
August 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
It is almost impossible for any team but Albany to make it. To go basically perfect for MU and CCSU is going to be really tough. UA has room to fall a little, not much but a little.

You hit the nail on the head.... The entire "earned access" bs is simply that, BS! It is just one last, pathetic attempt for the FCS Old Guard and NCAA to stick it to the NEC and send a message to the PFL for a couple of more years. The Old Guard has been completely unsuccessful in implementing the "OVC rule" so this is the best they could come up with to continue discrimination based on athletic scholarships. Sad really.... I wish that the NEC had decided to not play nice and sue these yahoos! This BS would NEVER stand up in a court of law if anyone had the guts to challenge it.... So, we get to enjoy two more years of power conferences like the MEAC, OVC and PL not earning their way into the playoffs as they just get their ticket punched because they provide enough athletic scholarships or equivalents to pay their way in.... As I said, pathetic and corrupt. It is no wonder the FBS division is such a mess.... Sad too that MANY here at AGS have a severe case of FBS envy and pray for the day when their program joins fully in the FBS corruption or for the day when the FCS stops pretending and just admits to being just as corrupt as the FBS, ( I think they are there already myself )....

danefan
August 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM
VMI crushed Robert Morris last year.

I knew someone out there Western PA got whooped by VMI last year.

RMU was down last year. Hopefully (for the sake of the conference) they can turn it around this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Well, I wouldn't say Monmouth or CCSU going 10-1 or 9-2 is impossible. It's simply hard to make the playoffs.

Albany at 8-3 with three losses against the CAA would be a pretty good candidate for an at-large berth in most years since they would have likely beaten one good team from the CAA and lost to 3 other good teams.

CCSU if they go 10-1 they will have split against NDSU and Delaware State they will have beaten either a Top 25 team from last year or a playoff participant from last year. Even if they lose both and beat Albany they'd have a fighting chance for an at-large at 9-2.

Monmouth's path is the hardest of the three unless they beat Maine. If they are 10-1, though, and they lose to Maine (and style points would count if they lose), again I think they would probably be in line for an at-large bid anyway.

All three scenarios come from Albany, CCSU or Monmouth winning the NEC title, however. What would hurt the NEC's chances the most at the postseason is if Albany loses all four to the CAA yet bulldozes through the rest of their schedule to finish at 7-4 and win the NEC. At 7-4 the argument could be made that they had "no quality wins" and lost all their games versus playoff-caliber teams, while CCSU and Monmouth could have a quality OOC win but the committee says, "Yeah, but they couldn't win their league against a 7-4 team".

I think all three have a legitimate shot. Here's another prediction: at least TWO of these three teams will spring an upset in this OOC schedule, making all three of these teams playing for a potential playoff place.

The key will be Albany. If they win one of those four games... I think whether Albany wins or loses the NEC it will be hard to see a scenario where a Albany, CCSU or Monmouth won't be under serious consideration for an at-large bid.

Of course, one of the other five teams could also come out of nowhere and win, but they wouldn't have a quality win to show the committee, and I think one or two of the teams would barely have enough D-I wins as well.

JetsLuvver
August 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Florida Atlantic got a playoff spot in 2003 even though it wasn't affiliated with any conference, lost to a Division II, and was a year away from bolting to I-A, and yet schools committed to the division get all sorts of roadblocks placed in front of them. It doesn't make sense.