PDA

View Full Version : ‘Mc' Corners: JMU's Secondary Should Be Among Team's Strong Points

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2008, 02:20 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=30597&CHID=3&sub=

bluehenbillk
August 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
You gotta love August, the time for preseason propaganda. I feel like Lloyd Bentsen debating Dan Quayle but I've seen JMU's defense and let's just say, they're going to win games this year because their offense runs the ball well.

mcveyrl
August 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
You gotta love August, the time for preseason propaganda. I feel like Lloyd Bentsen debating Dan Quayle but I've seen JMU's defense and let's just say, they're going to win games this year because their offense runs the ball well.

Yea, but it's the local paper. It's all propaganda.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I read the article, and yeah, it's propoganda to get the fan base excited, but there's no questioning the depth in the secondary for JMU. How good are they? We'll see this fall.

The true story of JMU defense is that it is all based on 2 things:

1.) Stuff the run - JMU has traditionally stopped most good rushing teams. UMass 3 years ago (in the mudpit vs. Baylark); UR never runs well against JMU like they do the rest of their competitors. W&M struggles to run against us. Cuff killed us, no doubt, so Delaware is an exception as is Rhode Island with their option attack and Casey.

2.) Sack the QB - pressure, pressure, and more pressure! JMU is annually among the sack leaders and this enables the secondary to cheat up and help vs. the run. It does expose the secondary and leaves JMU vulnerable vs. the pass.

Here are some stats:

Run Def.
2007 126.6 ypg / 22nd
2006 84.8 ypg / 4th
2005 106.8 ypg / 9th
2004 87.3 ypg / 2nd

Sacks
2007 26 / 39th
2006 48 / 2nd
2005 25 / 44th
2004 55 / 1st

So at the end of the day, will JMU's secondary be strong enough to allow for 2004 and 2006 sack numbers? Abdul-Wahid and Skolnitsky will get their fair share of sacks, as will D.J. Brandon from the linebacker position. If the defense comes together and the offense runs as well as advertised - watch out!

But for all the stuff on paper, it all comes down to who plays the best on game day. xnodx

AshevilleApp2
August 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I read the article, and yeah, it's propoganda to get the fan base excited, but there's no questioning the depth in the secondary for JMU. How good are they? We'll see this fall.

The true story of JMU defense is that it is all based on 2 things:

1.) Stuff the run - JMU has traditionally stopped most good rushing teams. UMass 3 years ago (in the mudpit vs. Baylark); UR never runs well against JMU like they do the rest of their competitors. W&M struggles to run against us. Cuff killed us, no doubt, so Delaware is an exception as is Rhode Island with their option attack and Casey.

2.) Sack the QB - pressure, pressure, and more pressure! JMU is annually among the sack leaders and this enables the secondary to cheat up and help vs. the run. It does expose the secondary and leaves JMU vulnerable vs. the pass.

Here are some stats:

Run Def.
2007 126.6 ypg / 22nd
2006 84.8 ypg / 4th
2005 106.8 ypg / 9th
2004 87.3 ypg / 2nd

Sacks
2007 26 / 39th
2006 48 / 2nd
2005 25 / 44th
2004 55 / 1st

So at the end of the day, will JMU's secondary be strong enough to allow for 2004 and 2006 sack numbers? Abdul-Wahid and Skolnitsky will get their fair share of sacks, as will D.J. Bandon from the linebacker position. If the defense comes together and the offense runs as well as advertised - watch out!

But for all the stuff on paper, it all comes down to who plays the best on game day. xnodx

September 20th!! Is JMU going to sponsor a Duke-fest for that day? Kind of a Grizzfest-east?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
JMU won't sponsor anything quite like that. There will be plenty of activities for people of all ages.

Ages
0-12: A giant inflatable moonwalk, other fun kid stuff (free JMU stuff, etc.)
13-17: It's always cool to be a teenager attending a college game day atmosphere in the fall.
18-21: Underage drinking. duh. Oh, and for those liberal enough, "make love, not war" - any co-ed fraternizing with the enemy does wonders for intercollegiate relations!
22-29: Tailgating, tailgating, and more tailgating. Come on, the game doesn't start till 7PM!!! If you pass out before the college kids, you will be ridiculed!
30-39: Have you ever been to JMU?! 2 things to remember: Alcohol and girls, not necessarily in that order. You are now in your "prime" years. We may not be HOT! HOT! HOT!, but the ladies are sexy and you'll still want to look, but don't touch. If you do touch, the men will worship you, the women will crucify you, unless you get them to join in, in which case I will worship you.
40-49: Your little ones are loved by the JMU community. It's not their fault mommy and daddy chose Mountain Hick St. University.
50-59: Bring your sunglasses. Sundresses and short skirts will be out in full force Sept. 20. Yes, you are now officially dirty old men. Alternative activities include introducing junior to the other species - WOMEN (not for the faint of heart).
60+: You are seniors. At this age, drink more beer. You've earned it!

Ok, a lot of beer and women there, but in reality there should be a lot of fun activities going on. What I suggest the most is to get to know some JMU folk from here and/or CAAZone (JMU Board). Most are friendly and you'll find the older crowd on Godwin field and lots most hospitable. Hillside field and parking lots get more rowdy with all them youngins' (students and alumni) getting fired up for the big game.