PDA

View Full Version : Your Team-Season Prediction

KAUMASS
August 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thought we could have some fun with this, especially at the end of this coming season. What are the glaring tough home and away games on your schedule this year? Any cupcake games?
Also, will your team make the playoffs?

I'll start. I have UMass at 8-4 this season. I think they are better than 8-4, but anything can happen in the CAA. Tough Road Games: at JMU, Texas Tech & New Hampshire. Tough Home games: Delaware. Cupcake Game: Bryant (Bryant is in first year of transition to FCS, game will not count toward playoff consideration.)

UMass will be in playoffs.

Good luck to your team this year.

IndianaAppMan
August 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'll be very conservative: ASU goes 9-3. I refuse to name the losses.

UNCBears2010
August 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'll say UNC goes 4-7.

Tough Road Games: Purdue, UC Davis
Tough Home Games: Montana, Eastern Washington

WrenFGun
August 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
We've had a number of threads on this very subject, but I will say that I eagerly anticipate the UMass/UNH matchup. I realize that UNH traditionally plays Maine on the last week of the season, but it'd be so great to have that last game on the line. If UMass gets to 8-4 this season, IMO, they deserve a playoff berth.

g-webb1994
August 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
G-Webb goes 5-6.

Cap'n Cat
August 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Northern Iowa, 11-1. Only loss to Indiana State.

Reign of Terrier
August 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Wofford's season is hard to predict. I saw them practice and it was about what I expected. At the very worst 7-4, at the very best 11-0 or 10-1 (pending on the SC game). My prediction: 8-3 or 9-2, top 3 in the socon and a playoff birth. I don't know who we'll lose to.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I like your prediction. I feel the same for JMU. 8-3. No mention of teams though. The road games continue in the playoffs... unless Liberty gets in. Wait, no Liberty would then play Richmond of course, sending us to App St. for yet another rematch. Argh. :)

furman94
August 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Wofford's season is hard to predict. I saw them practice and it was about what I expected. At the very worst 7-4, at the very worst 11-0 or 10-1 (pending on the SC game). My prediction: 8-3 or 9-2, top 3 in the socon and a playoff birth. I don't know who we'll lose to.

I hope you mean very best 11-0!

Anyway...

Tough Home games: The Citadel, GSU, Delaware
Tough Away games: Wofford, Elon, App, VT, Colgate

I see FU very underrated this year, best finishing at 9-3 with losses to VT, App and either Wofford or Elon; worst is 8-4 with a loss to Delaware or Colgate.

We will turn heads this year.

appfan2008
August 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I also see ASU finishing no worse than 9-3 or better than 10-2... I believe one of those 2 will be the record...

Also they win make the playoffs and have homefield due to attendance...

No telling how far they go...

furman94
August 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yep, once again, then road to Nooga is either in the opposite bracket, or through Boone, NC!

Ronbo
August 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
10-2 for Montana. Losses to Cal Poly and Eastern Washington. Very close games with Northern Arizona at home and Weber State in Ogden but we own those schools so we'll pull those games out.

biggie
I will be less conservative and more positive for App.

11-1, but more likely 10-2 (LSU and either JMU or we slip up elsewere).

Playoffs and a seed.

DTSpider
Tough Home games: Delaware.

Surprised that you'd pick UD over UR at this point in the year. Not saying that UD won't be a better team than UR, but most people are pretty high on UR right now.

furman94
August 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Um, biggie, don't you play in the 'boro this year? Look what happened at Wofford last year!

biggie
August 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Um, biggie, don't you play in the 'boro this year? Look what happened at Wofford last year!
Yes and that could be a slip up, but for now I'm counting on GSU losing a bit too much from last year.

DOME
August 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
11-1 is a pretty fair estimate for UNI, I could see the ISU trees being a threat this year....Even money they head north and beat up on the BISON?

drpnut
August 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I believe Woffy will have a pretty good year. I'm saying 8-3 or 9-2

IndianaAppMan
August 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
11-1 is a pretty fair estimate for UNI, I could see the ISU trees being a threat this year....Even money they head north and beat up on the BISON?

Not that any FCS teams get an overwhelming amount of discussion among the media or locals in any place (besides maybe Montana), but in the two years I've lived here, the only time I've EVER heard the words "Indiana State" when talking to people was in '06 when they played Purdue.

That's it. It's never mentioned in any context. Everyone around here went to Purdue, IU, Ball State, or one of the IUPU-fill-in-the-blanks.

I'm glad FCS football & schools are given more attention back in the Carolinas. And no, that certainly does not apply to App only.

carney2
August 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Lafayette will once again go 7-4. One of the losses will be to Georgetown. (That last comment was just to make DFW feel good and lower his paranoia levels.)

89Hen
August 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Prediction? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA)

Purple For Life
August 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Northern Iowa, 11-1. Only loss to Indiana State.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You made me do a double take! xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
August 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Not that any FCS teams get an overwhelming amount of discussion among the media or locals in any place (besides maybe Montana), but in the two years I've lived here, the only time I've EVER heard the words "Indiana State" when talking to people was in '06 when they played Purdue.

That's it. It's never mentioned in any context. Everyone around here went to Purdue, IU, Ball State, or one of the IUPU-fill-in-the-blanks.

I'm glad FCS football & schools are given more attention back in the Carolinas. And no, that certainly does not apply to App only.

Indiana State isn't even really a contender...they are sort of the whipping boy of the Valley. (it is still really weird not to write "Gateway" xsmhx )

McTailGator
August 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I see McNeese losing 2 NON-Conference games in the regular season this year. I see us going 10-2 or possibly 11-1. I would love to see us go 12-0, but that will be tough with a target on our backs.

Just to young (but talented) in the defensive back field this year.

In August of 2008 I said that McNeese would NOT lose a conference game for the next 2 years. I am halfway through that prediction at this point, and I will stand by my statement. However, I will admit that a couple of other conference teams have improved a lot since then, and we lost a very good player in Brian Smith at the DE position.

IndianaAppMan
August 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Indiana State isn't even really a contender...they are sort of the whipping boy of the Valley. (it is still really weird not to write "Gateway" xsmhx )

Yeah, I understand that. But even here in Indiana, it's almost as though the school doesn't exist, much less the football team. It's certainly not that way for WCU in the Carolinas, as they were clearly the whipping boy of the SoCon over the past few seasons. (That's not intended as smack, by the way. WCU may very well bounce back in the next season or two.)

I mean, even in the heart of ACC basketball country in the Raleigh-Durham area, people are well-aware of Elon, WCU, Davidson, App, & UNCG. Here, people hardly even mention ISU.

IndianaAppMan
August 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I'm guessing most would predict, what, 0-8 in the Valley for the Sycamores this year?

Lionsrking
August 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm not a fan making predictions, but I feel we'll be much improved on both sides of the ball...of our eight losses in 2007, six were decided late in the 4th quarter and could have easily flipped the other way...we're still a year away from making a legitimate run at the SLC title but I think we'll make some headway in '08...I see us winning three of five home games and I feel good about winning two, possibly three on the road...that would put us in the 5-7, 6-6 range and either 3-4 or 4-3 in conference play...either record would be good progress for our program...I feel we'll be competitive in all of our games, except for maybe Mississippi State, and I think we can keep that one reasonably close due to their lack of offensive punch.

LBPop
August 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
My prediction for Georgetown? Think Mr. 'T' in Rocky III. xnodx :( xsmhx

89Hen
August 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
My prediction for Georgetown? Think Mr. 'T' in Rocky III. xnodx :( xsmhx
xlolx Look about six posts above you Pop.

Ivytalk
August 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Once again, Ivytalk predicts that Harvard will go...7-3!!

Losses to Yale, Penn, Lehigh.

Cupcakes: None. Oh, well, maybe Columbia.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? (Jim Mora riff...)

UCABEARS75
August 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Well after that whuppin we took last November in Lake Charles it was obvious we had to improve to really be a contender in the SLC (although we are not eligible for the playoffs).

As McTailgator stated above there are some improved teams in the SLC and I truly believe we are one of them as our defense should be more experienced, bigger, faster, and stronger due not only to many returning players but also to the 5 or 6 very good transfers on the defensive side of the ball.

The offense will be even be better than last year with more depth in the OL, increased speed at WR, and some needed size at RB.

With all that being said I will go out on a limb and say 11-1 with a loss to Tulsa.

I know I am setting myself up for ridicule, but I BELIEVE!!

GO BEARS!!!

Eight Legger
August 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'll go with 9-3 for UR, with losses to UMass, Villanova and Hofstra.

elon77
August 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM

i will, LSU JMU and ELON. but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i think you could go 10-2, and i won't name the other victory.xconfusedx

elon77
August 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM

8-4, the other loss being at ELON.xnodx

BisonBacker
August 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm surprised by the lack of Bison posters in this thread. I'd like to say we have another 10-1 season ahead but I don't think that's true. I'm thinking we are going to be 8-3 or possibly 7-4 at the worst. I think having a new QB with virtually no experience will hurt us this year.

I don't think we win in Wyoming and losses to UNI, YSU and possibly even SIU. I think WIU is the sleeper in the MVFC and could also surprise some folks.

I reserve the right to change my picks after the first two weeks of the season:D

ASUG8
August 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
8-4, the other loss being at ELON.xnodx

I appreciate your optimism, but taking down both UR and App this year will be no small feat.
I think we'll lose 2 this year, but no names given.

McNeese75
August 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well after that whuppin we took last November in Lake Charles it was obvious we had to improve to really be a contender in the SLC (although we are not eligible for the playoffs).

As McTailgator stated above there are some improved teams in the SLC and I truly believe we are one of them as our defense should be more experienced, bigger, faster, and stronger due not only to many returning players but also to the 5 or 6 very good transfers on the defensive side of the ball.

The offense will be even be better than last year with more depth in the OL, increased speed at WR, and some needed size at RB.

With all that being said I will go out on a limb and say 11-1 with a loss to Tulsa.

I know I am setting myself up for ridicule, but I BELIEVE!!

GO BEARS!!!

Nahhhh, no ridicule here. That is a very possible scenario for the Osos this year. I have a good feeling about the Cowobys but one never knows what cards will be dealt so I will refrain from even guessing. But, if by some chance McNeese is 5-0 rolling into conference, well, then it's ON!!! :D

montanafan
August 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
10-2 for Montana. Losses to Cal Poly and Eastern Washington. Very close games with Northern Arizona at home and Weber State in Ogden but we own those schools so we'll pull those games out.

Ronbo, you missed four games that we will win.:D :D So we will be 14-2 and keeping ASU from the fourth title.xnonox

Mustang Man
August 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I see Cal Poly going 8-3.

GoAgs72
August 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
UC Davis 8-4. I have over-estimated Aggie wins four years in a row but I think this year will be an improvement.

uofmman1122
August 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ronbo, you missed four games that we will win.:D :D So we will be 14-2 and keeping ASU from the fourth title.xnonoxI like the way you think! xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't usually like making predictions. But I'll play along. I really think that this year's team will be better than last year's team. I know I'll be accussed of being a homer but I don't think we should lose in the SoCon. My prediction is that we won't. 11-1. Don't think we'll beat LSU, hope I'm wrong. Now, having said that, there are a couple of teams that worry me a little, but I still think we should go undefeated in conference play. There, did I cover all the bases like the weatherman does? Used to listen to a guy who couldn't give an exact forecast. It was always, if this happens then the weather will be this but if this happens then it will be this. Drove me crazy.

Drblankstare
August 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm surprised by the lack of Bison posters in this thread. I'd like to say we have another 10-1 season ahead but I don't think that's true. I'm thinking we are going to be 8-3 or possibly 7-4 at the worst. I think having a new QB with virtually no experience will hurt us this year.

I don't think we win in Wyoming and losses to UNI, YSU and possibly even SIU. I think WIU is the sleeper in the MVFC and could also surprise some folks.

I reserve the right to change my picks after the first two weeks of the season:D

Id say thats a fair assessment for the Bison this year. I think alot of herd fans are seriously overlooking how tough the schedule is this year and the fact that quarterback play is a total unknown. I think if we go 8-3, we should all consider that a successful season.

hapapp
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM

I think that is a fair prediction. Obviously, LSU and JMU are perhaps the biggest hurdles. We also have to go to Statesboro and Elon will be a tough game at KBS. I certainly think any of those could be losses, though my guess is that we only lose one in the SoCon but certainly there are some mine fields out there.

GSUISBACK
August 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
15-0

TheValleyRaider
August 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
12-0 is a distinct possibility

It's those first 3 games, however, that scare me. 2 road trips plus hosting Furman means we could very easily start out 0-3 xeekx

My expectation is that they'll be in contention for the League title and a playoff birth. Depending on the draw, they could very well string together a postseason win or two. I've got a very good feeling about us this year xnodx

of course, I thought that in '06 too...

X-Factor
August 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
After back to back 10-1 seasons for the Bison I do believe this years team is easily the best out of the three on paper. So, 11-0 or 10-1 is what I'm hoping for, 9-2 is more what I expect because I do believe we may end up with a conference road loss possibly even two in this Missouri Valley Gauntlet with road trips to UNI and Y-Town. I would be slightly disappointed with an 8-3 (most likely meaning a loss to Wyo and 2 road conference losses although that record would still put us in the playoffs) and anything less than that is absolutely not acceptable for the talent and depth we have returning this year.

catamount man
August 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
6-6 xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Jag4Life
August 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
SU is going 11-1

Lost: Houston - That's the only school who will beat us and I think my Jags can pull an upset.

crusader11
August 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
9-2 regular season record with losses to UMASS and Colgate. 1-1 in the playoffs.

furman94
August 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Playoffs?

ericsaid
August 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
We can't talk about playoffs.

ncbears
August 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM
5-6 for NoCo

appst97
August 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Yeah, I understand that. But even here in Indiana, it's almost as though the school doesn't exist, much less the football team. It's certainly not that way for WCU in the Carolinas, as they were clearly the whipping boy of the SoCon over the past few seasons. (That's not intended as smack, by the way. WCU may very well bounce back in the next season or two.)

I mean, even in the heart of ACC basketball country in the Raleigh-Durham area, people are well-aware of Elon, WCU, Davidson, App, & UNCG. Here, people hardly even mention ISU.

WSSU, NC A&T, and Cantral all get a lot of pub as well, especially in the piedmont......two losses LSU and either JMU or Elon

Tealblood
August 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
9-3 or 10-2 and a trip up the mountain

AshevilleApp2
August 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I'll go the same. But I'll say that LSU and JMU are two of the losses. I hope not, because I might be at both games. But LSU is almost a certain loss, and JMU is bound to have redemption on their minds.

I think (hope) we can get through the conference with one loss due to having Furman, Wofford, Elon and The Citadel at home this year.

LBPop
August 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
One of the losses will be to Georgetown. (That last comment was just to make DFW feel good and lower his paranoia levels.)

A condescending post isn't up to your normal standards, Carney. ;) xlolx xbawlingx Although it is not impossible, I think Jim Carrey's line in Dumb & Dumber kind of sums it up: "...so you're saying there's a chance..."

jmc_jackrabbit
August 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
SDSU:

We could finish anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3. But I'll say 8-4 for argument's sake.

Saluki Fan in FL
August 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Don't overlook NDSU, SIU (you come to our house this year), and Youngstown (at Youngstown). I know your not suggesting going undefeated in the Valley? If you're only saying one loss... it's the BYU game right? xsmiley_wix

Saluki Fan in FL
August 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM

We're in the same boat... breakin' in a new QB. SIU, NDSU, UNI, and Youngstown will be the teams to beat every single year. We will beat each other up every year and take turns being the Valley champ. I'm more worried about you guys than I am UNI for the first time ever. We're gonna be tough brother... from top to bottom. xnodx

GSUhooligan
August 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
9-2 with losses to UGA and either Furman or Citadel. The rest of our tough games are at home.

LCFan21
August 13th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Jim Carrey's line in Dumb & Dumber kind of sums it up: "...so you're saying there's a chance..."

Nice use of that quote!

I have LC at 8 - 3 - one out of conference loss and we split 2 - 2 vs. Fordham - HC - Colgate and Lehigh

I am predicting that we sweep the Ivies this year - you read it here first folks - SWEEP!!! That should keep Carney quiet for a few days about his curse ramblings.

Saluki Fan in FL
August 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
After back to back 10-1 seasons for the Bison I do believe this years team is easily the best out of the three on paper. So, 11-0 or 10-1 is what I'm hoping for, 9-2 is more what I expect because I do believe we may end up with a conference road loss possibly even two in this Missouri Valley Gauntlet with road trips to UNI and Y-Town. I would be slightly disappointed with an 8-3 (most likely meaning a loss to Wyo and 2 road conference losses although that record would still put us in the playoffs) and anything less than that is absolutely not acceptable for the talent and depth we have returning this year.

You are counting us out in Fargo? xsmiley_wix Yeah, I'm counting that loss too. Road games are tough to begin with, but against a new conference member, in their house... real tough. It could go either way. We went 10-1 too last year. And we have most of our defense back. QB being replaced and a few on offense. Look out for our little guy this year... RB, Larry Warner, he's only about 5'5", but can bench press over 300lbs and fast as can be. I'm hoping he'll be as good as Arkee Witlock.

I'm going with... 8-3 (Northwestern, UNI or YSU, NDSU)

UCABEARS75
August 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Nahhhh, no ridicule here. That is a very possible scenario for the Osos this year. I have a good feeling about the Cowobys but one never knows what cards will be dealt so I will refrain from even guessing. But, if by some chance McNeese is 5-0 rolling into conference, well, then it's ON!!! :D

LOL, I didn't think you would ridicule me now, you have too much class for that. I was really thinking more along the lines of November 23!!

89Hen
August 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
9-2 regular season record with losses to UMASS and Colgate. 1-1 in the playoffs.
Which CAA team will you beat in the first round?

Ronbo
August 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Montana 19,364
Hawaii 24,500
Boise St 22,448
Fresno St 23,527

xsmiley_wix

Black Saturday
August 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
LSU, JMU, GSU, Chatty and no playoffs

Reign of Terrier
August 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM

xeekx xeekx xeekx It's like an Appalachian heretic. Save your fanhood before it's too late. Who would win in a fight Armanti Edwards or Chuck Norris? ANSWER THE QUESTION QUICK BEFORE APPALACHIAN NATION COMES KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR!!!!xeekx xeekx xeekx

xlolx xlolx xlolx Just Kiddingxlolx xlolx xlolx

crusader11
August 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Which CAA team will you beat in the first round?

Possibly UMASS, UNH, Delaware, Richmond. The Patriot League representative has always been competitive in the playoffs, so it is not out of the realm of possibility to think that Holy Cross could pull out a win.

Grizaholic17
August 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM

That might be my favorite post by an App fan ever!

But be a little optimistic. I think you might pull off chatty :p

Black Saturday
August 13th, 2008, 01:53 PM
That might be my favorite post by an App fan ever!

But be a little optimistic. I think you might pull off chatty :p

Believe it or not, the UTC game was in doubt late. This year year APP plays there. We lost alot of good players from last year, I just don't think we'll get 'r done.

X-Factor
August 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
You are counting us out in Fargo? xsmiley_wix Yeah, I'm counting that loss too. Road games are tough to begin with, but against a new conference member, in their house... real tough. It could go either way. We went 10-1 too last year. And we have most of our defense back. QB being replaced and a few on offense. Look out for our little guy this year... RB, Larry Warner, he's only about 5'5", but can bench press over 300lbs and fast as can be. I'm hoping he'll be as good as Arkee Witlock.

I'm going with... 8-3 (Northwestern, UNI or YSU, NDSU)

Well, I definitely can't count you guys out because SIU always fields a team capable of knocking off anyone. Homecoming should be our most contested game of the season at home, but Valley teams will soon find out why our all-time winning % in the dome is over 90%. Plus, we OWE YOU GUYS from a couple years ago when you shut us out 9-zip !! xsmiley_wix

Some of the best bench pressers in the world are shorter guys. Maybe he will run between the legs of our defensive lineman xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
August 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Optimistically thinking I will predict UNI to be around 9-3 (2 of them as MVFC losses). Obviously I don't think we can compete with the team everyone thinks could be this years BCS buster (BYU). I don't know who the conference losses will be to. They could be to SIU, YSU, WIU, or NDSU.

We are breaking in a new quarterback, and as some may not be aware UNI kinda only goes to the playoffs in odd years underneath Farley. We should break the trend this year, but that is always in the back of my mind.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Ronbo, you missed four games that we will win.:D :D So we will be 14-2 and keeping ASU from the fourth title.xnonox

Impossible... you'll have to play Eastern again in the quarterfinals after we dispatch one of the seeds in an "upset" because any team we play is "overrated." xsmiley_wix

McNeese75
August 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
LOL, I didn't think you would ridicule me now, you have too much class for that. I was really thinking more along the lines of November 23!!

Well, if the Cowboys do to the Bears what the Bears did to Tx State last year :D I might have a chuckle or two xlolx . (But we both know that ain't happening :) ) Now if we get the same treatment the Bobcats got last year, I don't want to be choking on a damn crow :D

GGASU
August 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
14-1

Georgia Southern (reg. season)

Thunderstruck84
August 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
9-2 (6-2) MVFC runner up - lose in a tie breaker (to who I won't say)

...and the Fargodome hosts its first ever playoff game

Phoenix87
August 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Conservative:

Richmond (Loss)
Stony Brook (Win)
Presbyterian (Win)
Georgia Southern (Loss-Their coming for blood after last years overtime loss)
Samford (Win)
Furman (Win)
The Citadel (Win)
Chattanooga (Win)
Wofford (Win)
Western Carolina (Win)
Appalachian State (Loss)
Liberty (Win)

9-3 and on the bubble for the playoffs

uofmman1122
August 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Impossible... you'll have to play Eastern again in the quarterfinals after we dispatch one of the seeds in an "upset" because any team we play is "overrated." xsmiley_wixNah, you guys will probably get the shaft and get sent to Appy again, where you then proceed to give them the shaft. xlolxxthumbsupx

THEN we meet in the Semis!

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM

I think you'll lose @ UVGay and either @ Nova or JMU and go 10-2 and my pick for the seed out of the CAA. I think UR will win @ UMass. No way UR loses @ Hofstra. They have only 10 starters back and lost Huggins (2nd team All Conference at RB and KR), their 1st team All Conference receiver Sullivan, their 1st team All CAA LB Villante, both 2nd team All CAA DLs, their 2nd team All CAA safety, and a corner who is in the Eagles camp (or was).

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2008, 01:38 AM

I think ASU (as a couple of ASu fans have already stated), will lose to LSU, JMU, and one So-Con game and goes 9-3. But ASU being the 3 time defending Nat. Champs and pre season ranked #1 would almost be a lock to get in even at 8-4. Probably the only team in the country that would almost be a lock at 8-4. If you had a Div II that wouldn't be the case, but doesn't Presbyterian count as a I-AA since they are in transition up from Div II?

Poly Pigskin
August 14th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I see Cal Poly going 8-3.

I agree with that. The games that scare me:

Wisconsin
SDSU x2
Davis
McNeese
Montana

We'll lose to WI and 2 others, and squeak into the playoffs.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Nah, you guys will probably get the shaft and get sent to Appy again, where you then proceed to give them the shaft. xlolxxthumbsupx

THEN we meet in the Semis!

I'd actually prefer that scenario. I'm sure Nichols would love another crack at them. xnodx Either way, it should definitely be a Big Sky team that ends any chance of a 4-peat. Then maybe the CAA would shut it a little. Wait, who am I kidding? xeekx

KleinTx05
August 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM
im gonna go out on a limb because i KNOW we are MUCH better on defense this year & say 8-4 or 9-3 ...

Even tho im gonna start some trouble n the mighty SLC (lol) there are 2 teams that i can't wait to play.... The SLC champs this year @ the "Hole" i just can't wait 2 go back there & come away with the upset like we did in 06 ... Then i can shove it n McNeese75/McTailgators faces(lol)

UCA!!!! THIS YEAR When u come to Bobcat Stadium ... (READ MY LIPS LOL) IT WILL BE A VERY VERY QUIET RIDE BACK TO ARKI!!!

Its time to rope these horses & take the bears back to the zoo!!! LOL Here's to a fun, prosperous & healthy '08 season for the SLC .... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Bulldog87
August 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
8-3. Losses at UCF,at Clemson and at Del State. Hopefully we'll be competitive in the 2 FBS games.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
im gonna go out on a limb because i KNOW we are MUCH better on defense this year & say 8-4 or 9-3 ...

Even tho im gonna start some trouble n the mighty SLC (lol) there are 2 teams that i can't wait to play.... The SLC champs this year @ the "Hole" i just can't wait 2 go back there & come away with the upset like we did in 06 ... Then i can shove it n McNeese75/McTailgators faces(lol)

UCA!!!! THIS YEAR When u come to Bobcat Stadium ... (READ MY LIPS LOL) IT WILL BE A VERY VERY QUIET RIDE BACK TO ARKI!!!

Its time to rope these horses & take the bears back to the zoo!!! LOL Here's to a fun, prosperous & healthy '08 season for the SLC .... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

:D Before you start shoving things in our faces be sure and come drink a beer or two and eat with us before the game. It could happen of course but have you been reading the practice reviews for your defensive secondary? Sounds like they will be better but still have a long way to go. That could be a scary thing in the SLC this year xnodx

UCABEARS75
August 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well, if the Cowboys do to the Bears what the Bears did to Tx State last year :D I might have a chuckle or two xlolx . (But we both know that ain't happening :) ) Now if we get the same treatment the Bobcats got last year, I don't want to be choking on a damn crow :D

Well I went up to Conway yesterday afternoon and watched my first practice (I have actually been busy lately).

Impressions:

BAD: We have too many players (mostly WR's) who are not practicing due to mostly minor injuries; WR's who are practicing are dropping too many balls.

GOOD: We have some very, very good looking freshmen; hopefully we will be able to redshirt most of them.

The QB's (yes I said plural, not just Nathan) look outstanding!

The defense will be much, MUCH improved over last year. Bigger, faster, and stronger and they are hungry.

ChickenMan
August 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm not too optimistic.. a killer road schedule..

@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ Hofstra
@ UMass
@ JMU
@ Richmond

combined with major questions relative to the OL and QB positions makes another playoff appearence very difficult. The one big plus is that the UD defense should be pretty good and it will very likely have to be.. if the Hens are to make it back to the post season this year. If both the OL and QB play well.. UD could be very good (9-3).. but a more realistic prediction is probably... 7-5.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well I went up to Conway yesterday afternoon and watched my first practice (I have actually been busy lately).

Impressions:

BAD: We have too many players (mostly WR's) who are not practicing due to mostly minor injuries; WR's who are practicing are dropping too many balls.

GOOD: We have some very, very good looking freshmen; hopefully we will be able to redshirt most of them.

The QB's (yes I said plural, not just Nathan) look outstanding!

The defense will be much, MUCH improved over last year. Bigger, faster, and stronger and they are hungry.

Pokes are looking good but they are playing each other. The rubber will meet the road in a couple weeks xnodx

UCABEARS75
August 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Pokes are looking good but they are playing each other. The rubber will meet the road in a couple weeks xnodx

Good point, I knew I could count on you '75 to add some reality to my excitement.

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
6-6
Kinda hard to predict WCU so i'll give a middle of the road prediction. I think that if we have injuries in the wrong spots we will not win 6 but if the team stays healthy we could suprise a lot. I think it will all depend on how the chosen QB plays.

LacesOut
August 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
7-5 for Delaware.

It will be just too difficult to replace the offensive production that was lost with Cuff and Flacco leaving.

WileECoyote06
August 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Wins
FSU, Edward Waters, Savannah State,

Tossups
A & T, WSSU, CCSU, Presbyterian, Morgan State

Losses
Cal Poly, James Madison, Coastal Carolina

If we go 5 - 6 this season is a tremendous success.

FCS Go!
August 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Wins

Tossups

Losses

Are you NCC? I'm not so good with helmet logos.

KleinTx05
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
:D Before you start shoving things in our faces be sure and come drink a beer or two and eat with us before the game. It could happen of course but have you been reading the practice reviews for your defensive secondary? Sounds like they will be better but still have a long way to go. That could be a scary thing in the SLC this year xnodx

Yea lets hope that its scary in a positive way this year lol One thing that i have to say about my game experience @ "The Hole" ... 1st this was BY FAR the BEST gameday atmosphere (besides Bobcat Stadium) i've had in the last two yrs & i am STOOKED about our trip this yr!!! We got to Lake Charles early, & greeted by Cowboy friends. A sea of blue/gold, beautiful women, outstanding food, & the band show us the BEST tailgating an opposing fan could ask for. So win or lose i know ill personally get what most opposing fans want ... A great gameday with great southern hospitality!!!

Erks Eagles
August 14th, 2008, 12:35 PM
GS will be lose anywhere from 2 games to 5. Any honest GS fan will tell you we don't know exactly what to expect this year.

My personal opinion...we lose to UGA, Furman, and Citadel.
Should lose to App, but I think we get lucky again this year.

Mountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Wins

Tossups

Losses

Good luck this season! I want to see the Eagles do well! xthumbsupx

Are you NCC? I'm not so good with helmet logos.

You're correct. xnodx

Hoseinexile07
August 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
We're going to hover somewhere around .500, give or take a game in either direction. Defense is going to be our Achilles' heel this season, and probably will be indefinitely unless Bentley & Co. decide to change things up. Offense can't be expected to keep the contests close.

The odds are stacked against us this season, which is full of really tough games. The contests against App, Wofford, Elon, and Liberty have the potential of getting ugly early. Coastal's looking for payback for what we did to them last year, and even North Greenville has shown us that if we don't play defense, they can go volley for volley with us and still win.

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Good luck this season! I want to see the Eagles do well! xthumbsupx

Thanks, I'm surprised and pleased to see this from an ASU fan!

Mountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks, I'm surprised and pleased to see this from an ASU fan!

Not you. :p The North Carolina Central guys. xlolx

I suppose I'll cheer for you though against Georgia. :D

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks, I'm afraid we'll need all the help we can get. Now, go beat those Tigers.

elcid96
August 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
8-4 for The Citadel

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I think any SoCon team with 7 DI wins gets in unless the SoCon does absolutely terrible OOC this year.

Seawolf97
August 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
This is the first year Stonybrook puts a full scholarship team on the field (58) versus last year opening with 36. So it will hard to predict just how we will play.
Elon and Liberty will be uphill battles and probably losses.
Hofstra and Coastal Carolina will be tough but winnable.
The rest of the schedule is winnable barring any major injuries.
I can see finishing 8-3 and 2nd place in the Big South first time out.

WileECoyote06
August 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes!

We only return two starters on defense. So I can envision our losses being REALLY bad. The offense ought to be much improved; our top running backs receivers, kicker, and tight ends return from season ending injuries last year.

We have a couple of secret weapons coming in though. xthumbsupx

Tealblood
August 15th, 2008, 06:48 AM
This is the first year Stonybrook puts a full scholarship team on the field (58) versus last year opening with 36. So it will hard to predict just how we will play.
Elon and Liberty will be uphill battles and probably losses.
Hofstra and Coastal Carolina will be tough but winnable.
The rest of the schedule is winnable barring any major injuries.
I can see finishing 8-3 and 2nd place in the Big South first time out.

are you sure you went from 36 to 58 schollies i didn't think you could have that many in a class

KAUMASS
August 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
are you sure you went from 36 to 58 schollies i didn't think you could have that many in a class

The Big South allows 55 scholarships. SB is also opening up with South Florida in 2010. Welcome to full fledged Div 1 football, SB!! Good luck this year.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/07/bulls-tweaking.html

Husky Alum
August 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I have NU at 4-8 (3-5 CAA)

Wins: Davis, @Towson, @Maine, URI

Losses: @Ball State, @Syracuse, Villanova, @W&M, UMass, UNH, @Hofstra, @GSU

appfan2008
August 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have NU at 4-8 (3-5 CAA)

Wins: Davis, @Towson, @Maine, URI

Losses: @Ball State, @Syracuse, Villanova, @W&M, UMass, UNH, @Hofstra, @GSU

looks like a tough year right there

carney2
August 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
A condescending post isn't up to your normal standards, Carney. ;) xlolx xbawlingx Although it is not impossible, I think Jim Carrey's line in Dumb & Dumber kind of sums it up: "...so you're saying there's a chance..."

Sure. Why not. It would be the biggest surprise since "the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor," but the Pards could get caught looking ahead to...well...uh...the bye week.

NE MT GRIZZ
August 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
10-2 in the regular season for the Griz, losing to Poly and E. Wash.

1-1 in the Playoffs

LBPop
August 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
but the Pards could get caught looking ahead to...well...uh...the bye week.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
August 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I think any SoCon team with 7 DI wins gets in unless the SoCon does absolutely terrible OOC this year.

If GSU had 7 Div I wins they'd be 7-4. No-one will get at At-large at 7-4 this yr. Not So-Con. Not CAA. Not Gateway. Last year was an aberration. Even though a majority of those teams from the Big 3 conferences have a 12 games schedule, there are a number of teams from those conferences with only 11 game schedules: JMU, Nova, GSU, NDSU, etc.

I'm willing to bet there will be at least one 8-4 team from those 3 conferences that doesn't get a bid, esp if they have a Div II on their schedule (UD, FU, are 2 I know of with a 12 game schedule and a Div II).

darell1976
August 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I see the Sioux in their first season in the FCS going 7-3 I think they will win all their home games but only winning 2 road games maybe SD and Davis. Beating S. Illinois would be a nice gift to former Sioux coach Dale Lennon.

carney2
August 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I am predicting that we sweep the Ivies this year - you read it here first folks - SWEEP!!! That should keep Carney quiet for a few days about his curse ramblings.

The curse lives, and now you've angered the gods. This year is all on you with respect to "The Cursed Eight" (All Ivy schools not located in Manhattan plus the felonious toothpaste guys).

Bearvision
August 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
6-5 for my Bears this year, next year, we start thinking about playoffs. I still hate that we added NDSU and SDSU though...there was no need for it.

Husky Alum
August 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM
looks like a tough year right there

Every year is a rough year for NU football, except for a couple of years when Don Brown got admissions to let in some sketchy characters who led us to an A-10 title.

We're a FCS team on a D-II budget with High School Facilities, and an alumni base that doesn't give a rats arse.

Seawolf97
August 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Every year is a rough year for NU football, except for a couple of years when Don Brown got admissions to let in some sketchy characters who led us to an A-10 title.

We're a FCS team on a D-II budget with High School Facilities, and an alumni base that doesn't give a rats arse.

Hang in there. Love to see Northeastern on our schedule in a home and away deal. xnodx

Husky Alum
August 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hang in there. Love to see Northeastern on our schedule in a home and away deal. xnodx

That's our problem, all we do is hang in there. We either need to fully commit to the sport, or get rid of it. We're half pregnant with the sport, and have been for 30+ years.

Rumor has it that we've got upcoming home/homes with Colgate, CCSU, Albany and SBU at various points between 2010 and 2012 - but haven't confirmed anything. I also heard that we're renewing our deal with Holy Cross. They come to us in 2009, and I think we go to them in 2012 and they come to us in 2014 or something like that.

We've committed to "local" OOC's that aren't money games - and if we can get "local" money games (BC in 2009, UConn in 2010), it's all the better for the school. The days of us doing home/homes with YSU, GSU, Davis, etc. are over. If NDSU wants us to go there again with a similar deal as we had in 2006, I'm sure we won't say no.

FUPaladin2010
August 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Conservative:

Richmond (Loss)
Stony Brook (Win)
Presbyterian (Win)
Georgia Southern (Loss-Their coming for blood after last years overtime loss)
Samford (Win)
Furman (Win)
The Citadel (Win)
Chattanooga (Win)
Wofford (Win)
Western Carolina (Win)
Appalachian State (Loss)
Liberty (Win)

9-3 and on the bubble for the playoffs

A couple of decent years and the Elon folks are already marking up "conservative," guaranteed wins.

xlolx Don't jump the gun too fast, Phoenix87.

The SoCon's not the cakewalk you may think it is... xnonox

bjtheflamesfan
August 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Liberty:
I could see this team finishing anywhere from 10-2 to 12-0. My conservative best guess would be 10-2 or 11-1 with the one being either YSU or Elon

Tealblood
August 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
The Big South allows 55 scholarships. SB is also opening up with South Florida in 2010. Welcome to full fledged Div 1 football, SB!! Good luck this year.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/07/bulls-tweaking.html

the big south allows 63-we are full schollie

and you missed my point SB said the went from 36 to 58

I said I thought the NCAA had rules about how many can be in 1 class of signees

Tealblood
August 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
and yes I read the article saying the Big South alloows 55 schollies.

Guess what the guy got it wrong--amazing that something having to do with FCS since most of our coverage is dead on.

I know CCU and Liberty are fully funded the others are pretty close

Mntneer
August 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
+1 for a 9-3 season for App, although I think 10-2 is very doable. I'll go on record as saying that this year's App team needs to be galvanized by a loss or 2. I'm nervous about JMU. Elon will be tough this year no doubt but I think being at the Rock will put us over the top.

C-Mo
August 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Holy Cross

Regual Season : 8-3.
(lose to Umass, split with Harvard and Yale, lose once in league.)
1st PL Championship in a long time.
FCS Playoffs: 1-1.

Cat79
August 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Texas State will have a 8 win 4 loss season:D

JALMOND
August 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I predict a crazy year for Portland State. A crazy spring and summer so far has many positions still up for grabs at this point. The schedule is just as crazy, too, as we open against a DII (Western Oregon, who by the way, leads the all time series with us 13-9, although we have not played each other since 1977), then have an off week before playing our former DII rival UC-Davis. We could easily split with EWU and Montana at home this year, just as easily as we could split with Sac State and Montana State on the road.

My guess is 5-6 as noted below...

W. Oregon (W)
@ UC-Davis (L)
@ Washington State (L)
@ Sac State (W)
E Washington (W)
@ N Arizona (L)
Idaho State (W)
@ Weber State (L)
Montana (L)
@ Montana State (L)
N Colorado (W)

Maybe my objectivity went out the window forecasting the split against EWU and Montana, but Glanville will be pushing for an undefeated season at home (and we did get a split last year playing both on the road). A break here and there and it could be a breakthrough season. But we stub our toes somewhere and it could quickly turn into a long year.

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
ASU

10-2
at the worst 9-3
losses at LSU by 10-17 points
and either U of Tenn Chatt. (shocker) or Elon
Citadel may give some people a surprise this year and Furman will be better than expected. Hard Conference games are at home minus GSU

I think we get by JMU by 10+ points....just have a good feeling about this one...final score 35-24

Win or share a win of the SoCon and get a #1 seed in the playoffs...once again the road to Chatty goes through Boone

19Duke97
August 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
9-2, but could easily be 10-1 or 7-4.

I'm most scared about an away game at Maine, especially if we are undefeated, it's a miserable place to play... In traditional Mickey Matthews way, we'll have some incredible wins, and at least one unexplainable loss (ala Richmond last year - no offense but JMU has better athletes than UofR).

PapaBear
August 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM

I'm most scared about an away game at Maine, especially if we are undefeated, it's a miserable place to play... In traditional Mickey Matthews way, we'll have some incredible wins, and at least one unexplainable loss (ala Richmond last year - no offense but JMU has better athletes than UofR).

Why is it miserable? The game is Sept 27 at 6pm, fer crissakes. Maine is a beautiful place to play football in September. Especially in the evening. Nice and cool. Virtually no humidity. Where you DON'T want to be playing at that time of year is anywhere from Philly on south.

Someone educate me on this.

BDKJMU
August 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Why is it miserable? The game is Sept 27 at 6pm, fer crissakes. Maine is a beautiful place to play football in September. Especially in the evening. Nice and cool. Virtually no humidity. Where you DON'T want to be playing at that time of year is anywhere from Philly on south.

I agree with you here PapaBear- while the trip will be a long one for JMU, although I've never been to Maine, I imagine the weather in late Sept shouldn't be too cold. I imagine that would more likely be the case with a mid Oct-Nov game.

I'm planning on making the 9 hr drive up from where I live outside of Philly. Have that Sat-Tues off. Plan on swinging over by Arcadia National Park.

WrenFGun
August 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I'll tell you, it is miserable playing in Orono in November, when UNH always plays them. I almost froze to death in that overtime game two years ago, but it was all worth it. That said, Alfond is very nice and the stadium owns Cowell. I just wish it wasn't a 3.5 hour drive through the middle of nowhere to get there.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with you here PapaBear- while the trip will be a long one for JMU, although I've never been to Maine, I imagine the weather in late Sept shouldn't be too cold. I imagine that would more likely be the case with a mid Oct-Nov game.

I'm planning on making the 9 hr drive up from where I live outside of Philly. Have that Sat-Tues off. Plan on swinging over by Arcadia National Park.

Hit Bar Harbor if you can...no crowds that time of year.
September is a beautiful time of year to be in Maine.

carney2
August 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hit Bar Harbor if you can...no crowds that time of year.
September is a beautiful time of year to be in Maine.

Stay over - and stay north. You have a chance - and only a chance - to see the aurora borealis (northern lights). Even Maine is a little far south, but late September and into October is prime time.

19Duke97
August 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Now I guess I'm dating myself, but the last time I was the, the field was a disaster (I guess new field turf will rectify that), it was cold as heck, and nobody was there, but this was 1995. Top it off with the locker rooms are miserable. I guess things could have changed, but the weather is 50/50 even in late Sept. take it as a backhanded compliment, my point was it's a trap game for JMU, and I always felt it was a tough place to play as a visiting team.