PDA

View Full Version : When can we start making playoff predictions?

Lehigh Lover
October 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
With only four more Saturdays to go and almost every team having played 7 games, the playoffs are looming. I'd love to see some projections after the games tonight!!!

Tod
October 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Griz win it all!! Just kidding. I'm a little too drunk to run this scenario, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. :nod: :nod: :nod:

TypicalTribe
October 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM
I'll take a stab, assuming CCU wins:

CCU at Furman (#2)
W&M at Hampton

PSU at Texas State (#4)
Cal Poly at Montana

Colgate at UMass (#3)
UNH at ASU

EIU at WKU (#1)
Lehigh at YSU

FlyYtown
October 22nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
YSU With 1 more win gets in and with 2 more wins should get a home playoff spot and a split for the Gateway POSSIBLY and ESPN...

Go Penguins

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
PSU at Texas State (#4)
Cal Poly at Montana

Would you really wanna have a rematch of a regular season game with Cal Poly at Montana? I understand that Portland St is in the Big Sky with Montana, but you may just have to put someone out of region...

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
I'll pay triple to see that game :dizzy: Gooooooooooooo Guins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eaglegus2
October 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Still a week or two to early to take a stab at a possible field for the playoffs.

This is a freaky year! :nod:

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
And too early right now for playoff predictions. We are still playing out west here.

Killtoppers90
October 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM
Here too. We have 3 more tough conference games ahead before ANY playoff talk is mentioned.

colgate13
October 22nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
I'll take a stab, assuming CCU wins:

CCU at Furman (#2)
W&M at Hampton

PSU at Texas State (#4)
Cal Poly at Montana

Colgate at UMass (#3)
UNH at ASU

EIU at WKU (#1)
Lehigh at YSU

Two PL teams seemed like a stretch on Friday, but now? Who knows? The A-10 seems to be helping us out with JMU and Hofstra losing.

A Colgate/UMass rematch would be unbelievable.

hawkineer
October 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Two PL teams seemed like a stretch on Friday, but now? Who knows? The A-10 seems to be helping us out with JMU and Hofstra losing.

A Colgate/UMass rematch would be unbelievable.
I can't see any scenario that both LU and CU make the playoffs. One of them is going to have 3 losses after next week and neither is getting in with 3 losses. In fact, I can't come up with any scenario that the PL gets 2 teams, unless LU runs the table and ends up tie with HC for the league title. A 9-2 LU probably gets in as co-champs while HC gets the autobid. Otherwise the PL is only getting one team this year.

Paladin1aa
October 22nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Lehigh vs YSU ?? Man, that would be ugly.

Bring um on !! :p The March of the Penguins . :D

colgate13
October 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Lehigh vs YSU ?? Man, that would be ugly.xpumpukex

Don't make me wretch. Lehigh's done pretty well against Gateway teams in recent playoff history. They're certainly better than 2-6 Western Illinios.

colgate13
October 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
I can't see any scenario that both LU and CU make the playoffs.

I mostly agree with you... but in this crazy year? Who knows? No one is a lock IMO.

nevadagriz
October 22nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Calpoly @ UM would be great but! Cal Poly Qb could be out for a while and they still have games with Davis and EWU. Also the Griz have Msu and Psu two very tough games remaining. I also can't think of a scenario where both Psu and the griz could get into the playoffs. Loser next week will have two loses in conference and make a trip to the playoffs very tough.

IaaScribe
October 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Just one man's opinion, one that can change after more games are played:

A-10 (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, South Division champ)
Big Sky (Montana, Portland State)
Gateway (Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois)
Great West (Cal Poly)
MEAC (Hampton)
Ohio Valley (champion)
Patriot (champion)
Southern (Furman, Appalachian State)
Southland (Texas State, McNeese State OR Northwestern State)

That's my field, and thus my problems with Coastal. If you put Coastal in, who do you knock out? SIU? The second SFL team?

Coastal fans should probably hope McNeese and NW State falter down the line, or that Cal Poly implodes.

Cocky
October 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
The OVC may come down to coin flip between JSU, EIU, and EKU. If JSU beats EIU at the end a 3 way tie is very possible.

rokamortis
October 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Coastal fans should probably hope McNeese and NW State falter down the line, or that Cal Poly implodes.

I don't think the Gateway will get 3 teams

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think the Gateway will get 3 teams

WKU and YSU seem to be locks "right now". If SIU only loses one more game at most, they will be in also. Still a lot to be settled in the Gateway over the next 3 weeks. WKU and SIU play this Thursday. WKU and UNI play in two weeks, and WKU and YSU the week after that. I also think SIU and UNI still have to play. Could be a big shakeup in the next 3 weeks, or one or two teams could dominate and take the spots for themselves.

GoGuins
October 23rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
YSU With 1 more win gets in and with 2 more wins should get a home playoff spot and a split for the Gateway POSSIBLY and ESPN...

Go Penguins

I think YSU needs to be 9-2 to get in, it will be hard at 8-3, especially losing 2 out of their last 3. Looking across the other conferences there are a lot of teams with 3 losses already. A lot of things can happen these last few weeks. I think the GFC will get 3 teams in

Paladin1aa
October 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
My guess -- YSU, WKU & SIU make the play-offs. No UNI or ILS.

GoGSU
October 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Don't count Georgia Southern out just yet, we beat South Dakota, Furman and Morehead St...........that makes us 8-3 and would have beaten the #2 team...I think we should get a look. my $.02

Pantherpower
October 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yes, UNI stumbled and looked awful against ISU. However, if Sanders is back next weekend, the Penguins will go down in the Dome.