View Full Version : NEC Coaches' Poll and Previews

aceinthehole
August 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.northeastconference.org/images/general/2008/8/10/fall08.jpg

http://www.northeastconference.org/

Tomorrow! xthumbsupx

dgreco
August 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I have been waiting for this I am excited. I wonder if Bryant will be at the media day.

Seawolf97
August 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Looking foward as well . Interesting to see if there will be any surprises .

danefan
August 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
My prediction for how the coaches will vote:

Albany
Central Conn.
Duquense
Monmouth
Wagner
Robert Morris
St. Francis
Sacred Heart

Dane96
August 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I like everything but for your Wagner and Monmouth picks. Drop Wagner...raise RMU...drop Duquense...raise Monmouth.

Just dont see the coaches giving the Dukes a top-3 finish in their first year in the league.

redflash2
August 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
looks about right, but i think some teams might move up during the season. Can't wait for the season to start.

aceinthehole
August 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I like everything but for your Wagner and Monmouth picks. Drop Wagner...raise RMU...drop Duquense...raise Monmouth.

Just dont see the coaches giving the Dukes a top-3 finish in their first year in the league.

D96. I agree about MU/Duq. Fact is the Hawks deserve some respect for what they have done recently, and I cant see the coaches voting the newbie into 3rd place. I personally think DU may be very, very good and finish ahead of Monmouth. I think they have a shot of kcoking off any NEC team (including UA and CCSU).

However, Wagner may be working its way up the NEC ladder. They have a good returning QB (Matt Abbey) and got a Univ. of Iowa transfer at QB ready to compete for the job. They have a good core returing from last year and I think they have really stepped up recruiting, but of course only time will tell. Compared with RMU who as someone pointed out is rebuilding and has many new parts.

Wagner preview - http://www.wagnerathletics.com/news/2008/8/1/FB_0801084132.aspx?path=football

BTW - Wagner has a new look. They have a new logo and website. Not bad. They could be a sleeper in the NEC, as they can sell a great campus in NYC. They just need to schedule up a few games and take on a few Ivy and PL teams (Columbia and Fordham would be perfect).

Seawolf97
August 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
D96. I agree about MU/Duq. Fact is the Hawks deserve some respect for what they have done recently, and I cant see the coaches voting the newbie into 3rd place. I personally think DU may be very, very good and finish ahead of Monmouth. I think they have a shot of kcoking off any NEC team (including UA and CCSU).

However, Wagner may be working its way up the NEC ladder. They have a good returning QB (Matt Abbey) and got a Univ. of Iowa transfer at QB ready to compete for the job. They have a good core returing from last year and I think they have really stepped up recruiting, but of course only time will tell. Compared with RMU who as someone pointed out is rebuilding and has many new parts.

Wagner preview - http://www.wagnerathletics.com/news/2008/8/1/FB_0801084132.aspx?path=football

BTW - Wagner has a new look. They have a new logo and website. Not bad. They could be a sleeper in the NEC, as they can sell a great campus in NYC. They just need to schedule up a few games and take on a few Ivy and PL teams (Columbia and Fordham would be perfect).

Hope they dont forget us and Hofstra. We are not all that far awayxnodx

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
any times for the media day? Or just find out when the info is released?

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The NEC doesn't do a true, in-person media day. I assume the coaches votes have already been tabulated by the conference, as well as first team selections.

This morning the coaches will hold a teleconference with some members of the media. The NEC will then post the a press release of the pre-sesason poll, first team, and the possibly TV schedule (Wag/SHU will be on MSG+). They also post some audio clips of coaches.

I assume Bryant will be invited to participate in the conf. call, but won't vote or be eligible for all-conference selections.

Good luck to everyone this season! xthumbsupx

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
The NEC doesn't do a true, in-person media day. I assume the coaches votes have already been tabulated by the conference, as well as first team selections.

This morning the coaches will hold a teleconference with some members of the media. The NEC will then post the a press release of the pre-sesason poll, first team, and the possibly TV schedule (Wag/SHU will be on MSG+). They also post some audio clips of coaches.

I assume Bryant will be invited to participate in the conf. call, but won't vote or be eligible for all-conference selections.

Good luck to everyone this season! xthumbsupx

thanks for the info!

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Blue Devils Slotted Third By NEC Coaches, Five Players Earn Preseason All-Conference Distinction
Central Connecticut was predicted to finish third by Northeast Conference coaches in the league's preseason poll, which was released prior to a media teleconference this morning. The Blue Devils, who collected one first place vote, were slotted behind Albany and Monmouth. Those two teams defeated CCSU last season. The preseason all-conference team was also announced this morning. Seniors Michael Bailey and Ernie Greywacz were joined by juniors Nick Colagiovanni and Anthony Pineiro and sophomore Josue Paul as honorees.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1552908

1. Albany
2. Monmouth
3. CCSU

Northeast Conference Announces 2008 Preseason All-NEC Football Team
Albany and Monmouth Each Enjoy League-High Six All-Conference Selections
http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/8/12/FB-Preseasonallconf-08.asp?path=fball
Albany, Monmouth, and CCSU combine to have 17 of the 25 pre-season first team selections. xeekx

Duquesne had 3 (including QB), Wagner had 2, RMU, SFPA, and SHU each had 1 rep.

andy7171
August 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Looking at the schedules, Albany will be lucky to start off 1-4, Monmouth has a slightly easier start, but it's still a stiff OCC line up. If those teams get banged up or completely demoralized, I can easily see CCSU winning the NEC. And while Wagner has the easier OOC schedule, I'm not sure they have the horses to run with the top 3, yet. Should be an interesting year though. Can't wait!

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I am really surprised with Monmouth coming in at #2.

danefan
August 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I am really surprised with Monmouth coming in at #2.

Me too, but I guess with Sinisi coming back they feel they'l be tough.

danefan
August 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Full poll:

2008 Northeast Conference Preseason Coaches Football Poll
1. UAlbany (5)
2. Monmouth (2)
3. Central Connecticut State (1)
4. Wagner
5. Duquesne
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. St. Francis, Pa.

( ) – first-place votes

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
NEC Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Albany (5)
2. Monmouth (2)
3. CCSU (1)
4. Wagner
5. Duquesne
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. St. Francis PA

Monmouth edges CCSU and lots of respectt for Wagner.

danefan
August 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ha! Beat you to it!

:D

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Ha! Beat you to it!

:D

Yeah :)

What do you think? I'm OK with CCSU droping to 3rd, we got a 1st place vote and I think we are in great shape. Albany was a no-brainer and Sinisi and the Hawks D is a solid combo in the NEC.

I love the respect for Wagner, but I think the Dukes may have been underrated as a newbie.

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I agree about the Dukes, where at the Red Flash fans they are going to be pissed about this poll! :D I actually think they will finish ahead of SHU though.

I wish the media coverage included Bryant, that was a little disappointing, but oh well.

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I agree about the Dukes, where at the Red Flash fans they are going to be pissed about this poll! :D I actually think they will finish ahead of SHU though.

I wish the media coverage included Bryant, that was a little disappointing, but oh well.

Here are some soundbites from today's football teleconference (including Bryant)

The Northeast Conference conducted a preseason media teleconference with head football coaches on Tuesday morning. With the 2008 season set to kickoff on August 30th, the league announced the NEC football preseason coaches poll and preseason all-conference team during the call. Defending NEC champion Albany was tabbed the preseason favorite, earning five first place votes. The Great Danes beat out Monmouth, which received two first place votes. Central Connecticut State was chosen third, and earned the final first place nod. Wagner was picked fourth, followed by NEC newcomer Duquesne in fifth, Robert Morris in sixth, Sacred Heart in seventh and Saint Francis (PA) in eighth. Bryant, which will become a core member of the NEC in 2012, also participated on the call. The soundbites below were taken from opening statements made by coaches during the call, followed by a question and answer session with participating media.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/8/12/fb-preseasonteleconferencesoundbites.asp?path=fball

danefan
August 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Here are some soundbites from today's football teleconference (including Bryant)

I love the teleconference feature.

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
awesome, I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

dgreco
August 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Marty Fine was the **** in his Q&A i love his love for the university!

redflash2
August 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
lollollololololol at the coaches poll and preseason all conference picks a joke...

Dane96
August 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Really...how do you figure?!