PDA

View Full Version : Maine names starting QB. Again. Sort of.

PapaBear
August 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
This should be interesting. Hope they can make it work.

http://bangornews.com/news/t/maineblackbears.aspx?articleid=168208&zoneid=221

Seawolf97
August 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I hope this works for you guys this season. Watching it last year it seemed the offense was always trying to get in sync. Better to keep 1 QB and go with either a run oriented offense or pass oriented offense. You can build around those with with speed and size in running backs or receivers.
Anyway good luck in 2008 -See ya on September 13th.

mainejeff
August 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
This should be interesting. Hope they can make it work.

http://bangornews.com/news/t/maineblackbears.aspx?articleid=168208&zoneid=221

More Cosgrove crap. I hope someday to watch a real coach lead the Maine football program someday before I die. How old is Cosgrove again? xsmhx

Tribe4SF
August 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Tribe tried this in 2006 with Phillips and Potts, and the results were not good.

TheValleyRaider
August 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
What's the saying, if you've got 2 quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback? Something like that?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Tell us how you really feel mainejeff! In all seriousness, Maine has been too good over the years to just let things slip away. I hope your program revitalizes, just not against JMU ;)

Husky Alum
August 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
What's the saying, if you've got 2 quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback? Something like that?

That's what we've been saying at NU with the whole Orio-Sperazza debate. Thankfully they're both seniors and we won't have to deal with it any more after this season.

Cobblestone
August 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
More Cosgrove crap. I hope someday to watch a real coach lead the Maine football program someday before I die. How old is Cosgrove again? xsmhx

I'm just glad we didn't hire him after we fired Stowers.

Seawolf97
August 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Maybe the Black Bears need to do what URI has done - search for a new head coach. They have a strong program but rotating two QB's I dont think is a wise move.

mainejeff
August 12th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Maybe the Black Bears need to do what URI has done - search for a new head coach. They have a strong program but rotating two QB's I dont think is a wise move.

No one thinks that it is a wise move.......except for the super dud of collegiate football coaches. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

PapaBear
August 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM
No one thinks that it is a wise move.......except for the super dud of collegiate football coaches. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

There's no question it poses real challenges to both QBs.

The guy who "starts" the game tends to want to believe he's "the starter" ... "the man." And he's not. He's actually one of two starters. That removes from him the emotional lift that a true "starting QB" typically has, as the leader of an offense. If Farkes comes out of the game after making a mistake, he (and the fans) may well believe that he's being replaced because of the error, when in fact it may have been part of the game plan to use Brusko for awhile, at that point.

Likewise, when the "second starter" enters the game, both he and the coaches have to be ready to execute the entire offensive playbook with him -- not just the package of plays that employ his particular skills. Otherwise, the defense will quickly and easily know what's coming.

Maine tried this very same scenario a few years ago with Chris Legree and Ron Whitcomb. It did not go well.

But hope springs eternal, so let's see if things can be different with new players and a new OC.