PDA

View Full Version : Furman Fans, Need Help

Tubby Raymond
August 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
UD fan making the trip down would like your advice:

What sections in the stadium have the best views of the field, and the worst

Good/great places to eat, white table cloth, in your town

Where are the best locations to tailgate?, any tailgate policies we should be aware of?

Aftergame drinking close to the stadium?

We will be staying in Seneca, buddy of mine is letting me use his place there for the weekend.

Thanks

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM
PM OL FU...........HE'LL TELL YOU......

vermin sucks
54-51

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
PM OL FU...........HE'LL TELL YOU......

vermin sucks
54-51

http://uffp2.com/tpsmf/Smileys/default/knob.gif

appstate38
August 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Where are the best locations to tailgate?, any tailgate policies we should be aware of?

We will be staying in Seneca, buddy of mine is letting me use his place there for the weekend.

Thanks

The view of the field is good from about anywhere. The only thing is, is that the visitor side will be in the SC sun for the whole game. Bring sun screen.

ashram
August 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM
The visitors' side typically has the worst views, but only because of the position of the sun. Plus the "home" side faces the mountains, which is nice. Here's (http://www.furman.edu/wip/stadiummap/)an interactive map (click on a section for the view from that section). If you want to sit on the side with the Furman fans you'll have better seats. Then you can choose between the louder, student side or the more subdued family side.

As for restaurants, downtown Greenville is a few miles from campus and Main Street has just about anything you'd want. I recommend the West End where the new baseball stadium is and Reedy River Park. Also on that end is a place on Augusta called Brick Street, which is a white-tablecloth type of place with decent prices and great food. Soby's is another excellent option (gourmet Southern cuisine), or Restaurant O if you really want to get fancy. If you've never had South Carolina barbecue try Henry's Smokehouse on Wade Hampton. They're not open on Sundays and don't serve alcohol, though. Addy's on Coffee St. is a great Dutch bar downtown.

Visitors usually tailgate on the visitors' side of the stadium, but on the home side the tailgating is probably better. If you're heading to the stadium off of Duncan Chapel Rd. towards Timmons Arena, the gate you enter will have a large grassy area to the right. That's where I always set up. Furman is technically a dry campus, but we've never had a problem. Just don't get too rowdy and drink from plastic cups and you'll be fine. If you get there early enough you can basically park anywhere you want. But after a while some people will start directing traffic. Parking is free.

There are no bars within walking distance of campus for after the game, but, like I said, downtown is just a few miles away down Poinsett Highway. Bailey's on Laurens Road is a good sports bar, but it's not downtown.

The worst thing about Seneca is that it's close to Clemson.

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks

No real bad places to sit on the visitors side as long as you are in the upper half of the stadium

Interact map that tries to give you the veiw.

http://www.furman.edu/wip/stadiummap/

Lots of good restuarants but I would reccomend going downtown to main street. You can go see the falls before or after dining.

http://www.greatergreenville.com/development/dtn_map.asp

Been a long time since I drank close to the campus. But Gville downtown is only about 7 miles 15 minutes away. Football games will be on the TVS at Chiefs, the Corner pocket, Sharkeys.

Tailgating, put it in a cup and don't act drunk:) xrotatehx xsmiley_wix

And say hello when you see mexthumbsupx

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
The visitors' side typically has the worst views, but only because of the position of the sun. Plus the "home" side faces the mountains, which is nice. Here's (http://www.furman.edu/wip/stadiummap/)an interactive map (click on a section for the view from that section). If you want to sit on the side with the Furman fans you'll have better seats. Then you can choose between the louder, student side or the more subdued family side.

As for restaurants, downtown Greenville is a few miles from campus and Main Street has just about anything you'd want. I recommend the West End where the new baseball stadium is and Reedy River Park. Also on that end is a place on Augusta called Brick Street, which is a white-tablecloth type of place with decent prices and great food. Soby's is another excellent option (gourmet Southern cuisine), or Restaurant O if you really want to get fancy. If you've never had South Carolina barbecue try Henry's Smokehouse on Wade Hampton. They're not open on Sundays and don't serve alcohol, though. Addy's on Coffee St. is a great Dutch bar downtown.

Visitors usually tailgate on the visitors' side of the stadium, but on the home side the tailgating is probably better. If you're heading to the stadium off of Duncan Chapel Rd. towards Timmons Arena, the gate you enter will have a large grassy area to the right. That's where I always set up. Furman is technically a dry campus, but we've never had a problem. Just don't get too rowdy and drink from plastic cups and you'll be fine. If you get there early enough you can basically park anywhere you want. But after a while some people will start directing traffic. Parking is free.

There are no bars within walking distance of campus for after the game, but, like I said, downtown is just a few miles away down Poinsett Highway. Bailey's on Laurens Road is a good sports bar, but it's not downtown.

The worst thing about Seneca is that it's close to Clemson.

Well at least he knows the advice is consistentxthumbsupx

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
if you go to baileys i'll kick your ass

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
if you go to baileys i'll kick your ass

Didn't you tell me there was a sports bar near Furmanxconfusedx

pbr1893
August 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I would travel from Boone to Atlanta on I-85 and think that Greenville was a dump because of the sprawl along the highway. Then , I went to a Clapton concert at the Bi Lo Center and then went downtown...what a difference. You really should try the downtown area. Nice restaurants and bars. It reminds me of a few streets you'll find in Charleston. The only problem with Greenville is... Furman! As Lynyrd Skynyrd once sang about Vurman...OOOH That Smell!

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Go to the beaconxlolx It's in spartanburg but 100% worth itxlolx xlolx

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Looks like you just want to avoid sections 9 and 10. :)

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Looks like you just want to avoid sections 9 and 10. :)

Sitting in section 4 or 5 down low(behind the students) means standing up the entire game:D which is generally fine with me but some folks have a problem with it.

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I would travel from Boone to Atlanta on I-85 and think that Greenville was a dump because of the sprawl along the highway. Then , I went to a Clapton concert at the Bi Lo Center and then went downtown...what a difference. You really should try the downtown area. Nice restaurants and bars. It reminds me of a few streets you'll find in Charleston. The only problem with Greenville is... Furman! As Lynyrd Skynyrd once sang about Vurman...OOOH That Smell!

Before Falls park opened which has changed Gville even more, some NYC friends of mine actually compared it to part of the Village (without the sleaze). I am not sure I totally agreed cuz the Village is much more artsy but in a small way the comparison works. Generally, Main street is one bar, restaurant, gallery, boutique shop, etc. after another. xnodx

ashram
August 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM
the aforementioned Falls Park (http://www.fallspark.com/index_content.html) in the west end of downtown

It's a beautiful place at night.

Death Dealer
August 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
The stadium is not that large, so all the seats have pretty good views. As mentioned before, the visitor side is gonna get sunny. Closer to the 50 is obviously better.

As far as eateries go, G'vegas has some great places to eat, most of them in the downtown area, but not all. Closer to campus is a pretty decent Thai place, RiceFire. Like I said, it's decent and close to campus. Downtown is much better, you can park and walk to several restaurants and bars. If you are looking for great service and food, you can't go wrong with Trattoria Giorgio. xnodx It's Northern Italian cuisine, and they have patio dining in a very nice little garden. I'd recommend reservations.xnodx Smoke On The Water is a great place, a lot less formal and good food. Liberty Tap Room has a pretty good beer selection, but the food is not that great. I think Soby's and O are way overrated, but that's just my xtwocentsx . Brown Street Club is a great jazz club that also has killer food. And, Pomegrante on Main is great Meditteranian/Middle Eastern cuisine in a modern/chic atmosphere.

My favorite hangout downtown is Barley's Tap Room. It's a pizza joint with great pie and usually at least 50 beers on tap. I recommend the upstairs (more of a bar atmosphere). Downstairs is where all the families hang out. Corner Pocket is a great pool hall, and where we used to hang out when we were at FU long ago. No really good bars close to campus that I can think of right off hand.

If you want to get a little closer to home before you start saucing it up, Nick's in downtown Clemson is a great hole in the wall bar. No rowdy obnoxious Clemson fans, just good old beer drinking barflies. Always has a game or two on, and PBR on tap! xthumbsupx

The best place to tailgate for visitors is near the chapel right off the mall, but get there early to get a shady spot! As mentioned, FU is a dry campus, but we always have a keg or two of homebrew and a liquor bar set up, and we have never been hassled about it. Just keep all beverages in a cup and be respectful of others and you won't have any trouble.

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
The visitors side is all General Admission, so you shouldn't have a problem with seats over there. Like Cavedweller said, there really isn't a bad seat in PalStad! Find a parking spot early and tailgate before the game in South Lot (Refer to visitor's guide) and keep all the beer in a cup. Don't be loud and abnoxious with your drinking, you'll draw unwanted attention. I reccomend heading downtown after the game (AMAZING DT Greenville) and journey through our hundreds of Bars and Resturants. Have fun, and be friendly, and you'll have atleast 16000 + new friends! (okay maybe not, lol)

Downtown Greenville is an MUST! Trio's is a great Pizza/Pasta place, fancy, but not white collar stiff. Liberty's Tap Room by Flour Field at the West End is a great bar/resturant, and you can check out our 2006 MLB Ballpark of the Year too! Rio Grille is another great resturant (one of my favs) http://www.riogrille.com/

Journey on up North Main and stop at Riverplace for the Lazy Goat, High Cotton, or across the sreet Oysters in the West End. Greenville has anything to suit your fancy.

You should consider stopping at Falls Park and walk over the Liberty Bridge and watch the Falls. Beautiful evening there.

Here's the new Visitor's Guide:
http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/fanzone/visitor_guidefootball.html

Hope you have a GREAT time in Greenville!

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sitting in section 4 or 5 down low(behind the students) means standing up the entire game:D which is generally fine with me but some folks have a problem with it.
Like every Delaware fan that sits on the home side? xoopsx

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
not one of these backcountry lowborns has bothered to mention that the river that has the falls is full of HUMAN POO! don't go near the water!

AndrewFU21
August 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Downtown around main street is definitely the place to go for dinner or drinking after the game. If you're looking to try some local food, I'd recommend this place called Smokin' Stokes which is close to downtown. Very good BBQ and they even have a sauce made from Cheerwine:D

As far as tailgating goes, the cops really only care about the students when it comes to enforcing the dry campus. As long as it's in a cup and not conspicuous, you're probably fine. The parking situation is about as good here as anywhere... I don't think they charge at any of the lots and there is never really a lack of space.

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
not one of these backcountry lowborns has bothered to mention that the river that has the falls is full of HUMAN POO! don't go near the water!

Don't exaggerate and didn't I see you lapping out of it the other day:p

elon77
August 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Downtown around main street is definitely the place to go for dinner or drinking after the game. If you're looking to try some local food, I'd recommend this place called Smokin' Stokes which is close to downtown. Very good BBQ and they even have a sauce made from Cheerwine:D

As far as tailgating goes, the cops really only care about the students when it comes to enforcing the dry campus. As long as it's in a cup and not conspicuous, you're probably fine. The parking situation is about as good here as anywhere... I don't think they charge at any of the lots and there is never really a lack of space.

don't forget, they are from the caa, they will be looking for wine and cheese. NOT BBQ AND BEER!xnodx

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
don't forget, they are from the caa, they will be looking for wine and cheese. NOT BBQ AND BEER!xnodx
You did see OL FU's user title, didn't you? xsmiley_wix

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Wine and Cheese, eh? Journey over to the Furman Tailgates in front of the home side and you'll find plenty of tableclothed tables with Brie and White Zinfandel! No shortage of that at Furman!

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Wine and Cheese, eh? Journey over to the Furman Tailgates in front of the home side and you'll find plenty of tableclothed tables with Brie and White Zinfandel! No shortage of that at Furman!
Or at UD, but I'm pretty sure none of the Hen posters on the message boards are present at these events. xsmiley_wix

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Check out High Cotton. It's right off Main Street right by the falls. Soby's, also on Main Street up a few blocks, is a good choice as well. Fine dining on both counts.

pbr1893, I hope you don't jump to conclusions about too many places based on the interestates. Off the top of my head, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Savannah, & Lexington (KY) would be pretty dull places based solely on the interestates that traverse them, but the reality is that they're all pretty great places in their own ways.

YoUDeeMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Are the restuarants in town smoke free?

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Are the restuarants in town smoke free?

All in the city limits are smoke free. Main street is in the city limitsxsmiley_wix

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Greenville is a Smoke Free city!

OL FU
August 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Speaking of morphing thread titles, I am just happy you didn't leave out the commaxeyebrowx :)

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Yes we do!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx