PDA

View Full Version : I know this has been answered before...

HenHouse1
October 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
I was wondering if Cal Poly and UC Davis are playoff eligible this season. I was also wondering when (if they aren't) when they will be, and also when NDSU and SDSU will be. Thanks to all who help

OL FU
October 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3805

From a previous thread, I think the answer is only Cal-Poly

Russ B
October 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Cal Poly is (been 1-AA for 10years at least, haven't they?), Davis is not. Davis should be eligible in another year? NDSU and SDSU are a year behind Davis in the transition, so add one to whatever the correct anwer to the Davis question is. :D

ucdtim17
October 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
CP is eligible, UCD will be eligible in '07, Dakotas in '08

ucdtim17
October 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
UNC in '07 as well

LacesOut
October 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Why do they have to wait???

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM
NCAA makes teams wait when transitioning divisions. I think it is so a school can't move up and down at will based on how good of a team they have, but that's just my thought.

GannonFan

The evil NCAA has rather draconian waiting periods for teams making transitions from a lower division to a higher one. I'm sure they'll say they have their reasons. :rolleyes:

OL FU

East Coast Bias :D

HenHouse1
October 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks to all for your answers

Russ B
October 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
The evil NCAA has rather draconian waiting periods for teams making transitions from a lower division to a higher one. I'm sure they'll say they have their reasons. :rolleyes:

The academic standards are higher in D-1 (hard to believe, I know), so the waiting period is to ensure that all the athletes are academically eligible for the new level. Not an issue for UCD, of course, since the UC admissions standards are higher than NCAA, but there you have it.

grizband
October 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Imagine what the outcome of these teams gaining playoff eligibility will be in a few years. Cal-Poly should get in this year. If NDSU was eligible, they would proably get in as well. The Great West teams, plus UC-Davis being eligible will surely shake up the at large berths to the playoffs.

igo4uni
October 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM

Yep, that's it!!!!!!!!!!

peace

igo4uni

charliej
October 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Imagine what the outcome of these teams gaining playoff eligibility will be in a few years. Cal-Poly should get in this year. If NDSU was eligible, they would proably get in as well. The Great West teams, plus UC-Davis being eligible will surely shake up the at large berths to the playoffs.

What determines how a conference gets an auto-bid? Other than number of teams.

Just curious.

ucdtim17
October 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Conferences have to have 6 teams for a certain number (?) of years. With UNC leaving after this season, the GWFC will only have 5, and therefore, no auto-bid. shame it is

Poly Pigskin
October 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM

There might not be much effect at all. As has been stated, UNC is leaving for the BSC, and I heard the Dakotas were trying to get in as well. Even if we keep the 5 schools, we'll probably have to get another DII transition school to join the conference and then start the waiting period all over again. Long story short, I don't ever expect to see more than one team from this conference in the playoffs. Hell, we'll be lucky to get one team in after last year's 9-2 record wasn't good enough.

TigerFan17
October 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM

hahahaha!

I think they should allow them to be eligible right away. Whats the harm?

ucdtim17
October 21st, 2005, 08:01 PM
That is IF the GWFC can't get a new member. I think the rule for autobids is a conference must have teams with two years of continuous membership of at least six teams who have been D-I for eight years. Something like that.

There aren't really any likely candidates on the horizon that I can think of. Anyone?

Poly Pigskin
October 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM
There aren't really any likely candidates on the horizon that I can think of. Anyone?

If the Dakota schools stay in conference, maybe UND or USD? Just a shot in the dark...

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
The NCAA chooses them annually. I haven't read any rules on choosing other than they must be a qualified conference.
I think winning your conference is a factor too.
:D

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Southern Utah is the only other school in the GW that is eligible this year for the playoffs. Obviously they are not going to make it, tho.

UAalum72
October 22nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Conferences have to have 6 teams for a certain number (?) of years. With UNC leaving after this season, the GWFC will only have 5, and therefore, no auto-bid. shame it is
If you want to read the NCAA legalese: http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2005-06/2005-06_d1_manual.pdf

31.3.4.2 Additional Requirements, Sports Other Than Men’s Basketball. To be considered eligible for automatic qualification in a particular sport, a multisport member conference must include six core institutions that satisfy continuity-of-membership. For the purposes of this legislation, core refers to an institution that has been an active member of Division I the eight preceding years. Further, the continuity-ofmembership requirement shall be met only if a minimum of six core institutions have conducted conference competition together in Division I the preceding two years in the applicable sport. There shall be no exceptions to the two-year waiting period. Any new member added to a member conference that satisfies the continuity of membership requirements shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier. (Revised: 4/27/00, 10/00, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 8/5/04)

As to which conferences get automatic bids, the sport's governing committee determines it, with appeals to the NCAA Management Council
31.3.4 Automatic Qualification. Each governing sports committee shall forward annually to the Management Council those conferences that should receive automatic qualification for their teams or individual student-athletes into NCAA championships. Prior to forwarding the list of conferences to receive automatic qualification, a governing sports committee shall ensure that the member conference meets the requirements specified in Bylaws 31.3.4.1 through 31.3.4.5. A member conference may appeal to the Management Council the automatic-qualification review of the sports committee and the committee’s decision to find, or not find, a conference qualified for automatic-qualification status. The decision of the Management Council on such appeals will be final. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/27/00)
A conference can lose its bid, as one must if a new conference gets one (unless they expand the playoff field)
31.3.4.1.1 Notification, Automatic Qualification in Jeopardy. A governing sports committee must issue a written warning one year in advance to a conference that is in jeopardy of losing its automatic qualification.