PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: James Madison dreams of title, revenge against '07 champs

BDKJMU
August 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Not sure if this will be in the sports pages of the print edition- will pick up a copy this morning

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/default.htm

Skjellyfetti
August 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting.

I cannot wait for this game...

However, I kinda disagreed with the article under the picture.

COLONIAL DOMINATES: 3 Championship Subdivision titles in 10 years

Southern Conference has 5 in last 10 years. But, it does show that the Southern and CAA have been the best two leagues over the last decade.

BeauFoster
August 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Not sure if this will be in the sports pages of the print edition- will pick up a copy this morning

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/default.htm

My parents were going through Harrisonburg last weekend, and stopped to eat at a little diner. Dad was wearing an ASU t-shirt and said he got evil looks from just about everyone in the place. This has turned into quite a rivalry in a short time. I love it! xthumbsupx

ASUG8
August 6th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Good post - should be a great game.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My parents were going through Harrisonburg last weekend, and stopped to eat at a little diner. Dad was wearing an ASU t-shirt and said he got evil looks from just about everyone in the place. This has turned into quite a rivalry in a short time. I love it! xthumbsupx

Too funny! xlolx

Yes, we do hate you... xnodx xsmiley_wix

mountaineertider
August 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
It was in the print version. Read it at breakfast - not a bad article.

T-Dog
August 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
JMU is really talking themselves into a corner here. Not saying they will lose, but it's a toss-up at this point.

What if JMU loses at Duke (possible), then loses to UMass the week before (also possible), then lose to us. They'll be 1-3 at that point and with their CAA schedule, I don't like their chances.

Point is, JMU needs to win this game a lot more than App does and if they don't, it looks like it will have long hangover effects.

ericsaid
August 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Good thing the title says "dreams of title, revenge". With the kkey word in that title being dreams, might as well keep dreaming.xpeacex

SideLine Shooter
August 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Too funny! xlolx

Yes, we do hate you... xnodx xsmiley_wix

I do some work in the Harrisonburg and Luray area and I always wear my ASU shirts and my car has a 3 Time N/C tag with ASU Football sticker and Yosef Sticker and I always stay near the campus. NOT a Single person has mentioned ASU-JMU to me in Harrisonburg. It is almost like no one knows JMU plays football. Go Figure.xnodx xnodx xnodx

th0m
August 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
JMU is really talking themselves into a corner here. Not saying they will lose, but it's a toss-up at this point.

What if JMU loses at Duke (possible), then loses to UMass the week before (also possible), then lose to us. They'll be 1-3 at that point and with their CAA schedule, I don't like their chances.

Point is, JMU needs to win this game a lot more than App does and if they don't, it looks like it will have long hangover effects.

I agree that with Duke and UMass before the ASU game, it could be a "must-win" game depending on the results from those other games, but I don't see how all this talk about it changes any of that. We really wanna beat you guys, whether we're 3-0 or 0-3.

JmuSkinsfan
August 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I do some work in the Harrisonburg and Luray area and I always wear my ASU shirts and my car has a 3 Time N/C tag with ASU Football sticker and Yosef Sticker and I always stay near the campus. NOT a Single person has mentioned ASU-JMU to me in Harrisonburg. It is almost like no one knows JMU plays football. Go Figure.xnodx xnodx xnodx

Harrisonburg is a ghost town during the summer. Come back in early September and see if no one knows about it. This game is already sold out. We aren't as big in the area as say, ASU is in Boone, but our students and alumni definitely bring the intensity. Now, if we knocked off #5 Michigan I'm sure the townies would be a bit more excited about our team

HiHiYikas
August 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The rivalry makes it way to my church parking lot, where my car (tag reads GOAPP) is sometimes parked next to one that reads JMUFRK.

JMU has some great fans. Other than the time I spend hanging out with Richmond-area ASU alumni, it's hard to find better FCS fans around here than JMU's. They're generally pretty smart and passionate. I can't wait to go to this game.

furman94
August 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
JMU, what ever you do, DON'T overlook ANYONE! Dook especially! Look what happened to Clemson a few years back!

JMU DUUUKES
August 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
AHH Just bring on the game already ... I just can't wait any longer. I almost told a law firm that I couldn't interview with them because the game was this weekend. Luckily they let me pick another weekend, haha.

T-Dog
August 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I agree that with Duke and UMass before the ASU game, it could be a "must-win" game depending on the results from those other games, but I don't see how all this talk about it changes any of that. We really wanna beat you guys, whether we're 3-0 or 0-3.

Even though I want to win, I'd hope you weren't 0-3 to start the season. That would mean you would have lost to Duke, NC Central and UMass, THEN you'd have to play us. xanim_chaix No way with the remaining schedule like that you would make the playoffs starting off 0-4. I wan't y'all to be 3-0 heading into that game so it would be all that much better when we win, plus it would make it a 1 vs 2 matchup almost for sure (pending we're 2-1 at the worst).

appstate38
August 7th, 2008, 07:31 AM
It will be difficult to find a bigger FCS game than this one. Some others could pop up later. But for an OOC game this one will be hard to top.

AppGrad06
August 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
The rivalry makes it way to my church parking lot, where my car (tag reads GOAPP) is sometimes parked next to one that reads JMUFRK.

JMU has some great fans. Other than the time I spend hanging out with Richmond-area ASU alumni, it's hard to find better FCS fans around here than JMU's. They're generally pretty smart and passionate. I can't wait to go to this game.

It makes it way to bars here in Knoxville. I have a couple friends here went to JMU and we go out if they leave before me they like to put "ASU sucks! JMU rules" notes under my windshield wipers. Naturally I have to get them back every once in a while.

mcveyrl
August 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I was following you up until the bolded part. I've said on here before that this could be a "must win" for JMU.

But, if ASU loses to LSU and JMU, they'll be 1-2 to start out the year. They'd then have to go 7-1 in conference, which they didn't do last year (although I'll admit their SoCon schedule is easier on them this year).

In fact, if we reverse that by only one win and beat Duke or Umass and come into the game 2-1, we theoretically don't need to win it as bad as App because we'd have a quality win under our belt almost making us a lock at 8-3.

Bottom line: with only 2 or 3 games under your belt, you have no idea who needs to win what game more than anybody else. I just hope we're not either too juiced (if we beat Umass and Duke) or too down (if the opposite happens).

EDIT: Also, just read the article. How is JMU talking themselves into a corner? They want to bounce back from a frustrating loss (wouldn't you?) and want to win the national championship (wouldn't you?). I don't see any bulletin board material in the article...Landers even admitted they've got a tough conference schedule

AppStFan76
August 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Even though I want to win, I'd hope you weren't 0-3 to start the season. That would mean you would have lost to Duke, NC Central and UMass, THEN you'd have to play us. xanim_chaix No way with the remaining schedule like that you would make the playoffs starting off 0-4. I wan't y'all to be 3-0 heading into that game so it would be all that much better when we win, plus it would make it a 1 vs 2 matchup almost for sure (pending we're 2-1 at the worst).

The JMU game is only our 3rd game of the year, so we may be going into that game 1-1 or 2-0 more than likely 1-1! We have a bye the week before JMU so I like our chances at JMU alot better! Since they are coming off of the UMass game.

GO APPS!!!

AppStsGr8
August 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I can't wait for this game ... or any of the others for that matter. We'll be making the trip to JMU and enjoying some fine hospitality from some friends with kids at both schools. I'd love for this one to be a 2-0 v 3-0 matchup though my reality check side says it's more likely to be 2-1 v ??

Last year's game had my heart racing ... I'll have to be sure to lay off the caffiene before this one.

mcveyrl
August 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
BTW, JMU and ASU fans alike can feel free to stop by my tailgate.

Hopefully, I'll have set of these before this game:

I will probably be in convo lot, though.

DB_Atlantic10
August 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I can't wait for this game ... or any of the others for that matter. We'll be making the trip to JMU and enjoying some fine hospitality from some friends with kids at both schools. I'd love for this one to be a 2-0 v 3-0 matchup though my reality check side says it's more likely to be 2-1 v ??

Last year's game had my heart racing ... I'll have to be sure to lay off the caffiene before this one.

I'm just glad I don't have to climb that D$%n Mountain again.....xlolx

biggie
August 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM
For any JMU locals, some traveling App fans would like advice on where to park.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Try here:

http://centralvirginiafarmforsale.com/scotts-industrial-real-estate-harrisonburg.jpg

Sorry, had to throw a random picture in there for you. :D

X-lot (or what used to be called X-lot) is open and for anyone for free. It's on campus and close to the stadium. However, it fills up quickly and sometimes you'll see kids trying to "reserve" spots for their tailgates by standing in spots, which annoys the hell of out me.

Other than that, there are some lots on near S. Main St. and S. High St. (across from the Quad) behind Buffalo Wild Wings. I'm sure there are better spots closer (no one tailgates over there), but if all else fails, that would work. There is construction going on for JMU's new performing arts facility, so that might impact parking on that side of campus, but it gives you a stroll through the older more beautiful side of campus to get to the stadium.

biggie
August 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
X-lot (or what used to be called X-lot) is open and for anyone for free. It's on campus and close to the stadium. However, it fills up quickly and sometimes you'll see kids trying to "reserve" spots for their tailgates by standing in spots, which annoys the hell of out me.
Exactly location of "x-lot"?

If need be PM me the info.

Thanks

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ok, no longer X-lot, it is called R-1 on the campus parking map. See link below:

http://web.jmu.edu/parking/

The other lot i was referring to was on Harrison St., C-1 and C-2 I think...

Also, Convo lots might be available to the public, but I am not sure. Many spots there are reserved for season ticket holders.

ASUMountaineer
August 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
BTW, JMU and ASU fans alike can feel free to stop by my tailgate.

Hopefully, I'll have set of these before this game:

I will probably be in convo lot, though.

You should try making your own. Quite easy and cheap. I built mine out of 2x3s and plywood. Here is the finished product...they'll be in Harrisonburgxnodx

mcveyrl
August 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You should try making your own. Quite easy and cheap. I built mine out of 2x3s and plywood. Here is the finished product...they'll be in Harrisonburgxnodx

Nice!

I've thought about doing that, too.

What'd you do for bags?

ASUMountaineer
August 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Nice!

I've thought about doing that, too.

What'd you do for bags?

We bought black and gold duck cloth and filled it with a pound combo of whole kernel corn and cracked corn, then my mother-in-law sewed them up. The key is the duck cloth, it prevents the corn from expanding if there is a party foul.

dukesfan74
August 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Come to Luray again and I will happily give you the evil eye xmadx

Touchdown Yosef
August 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Good article, glad to see some more coverage for this game. I just hope it gets picked up by a station we'll get down here in North Carolina.

I'll just be rooting for the Dukes to take it to the Blue Devils, it would be great for the story line if they can pull that one out. I really think they should win that game and chalk one more up for FCS.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: JMU-App State needs to be an annual event. This matchup has all the right elements for a solid rivalry. They're located in comparable settings: fairly isolated small towns in the mountains away from their states' core population bases. Their enrollment sizes are similar, as are their academic offerings. As public "comprehensive" universities, they're both widely respected. Even though neither has committed to becoming FBS, they're both committed to building top-notch facilities formerly available only at BCS programs. Both are expanding stadium capacities, too. Both coaches are highly respected in FCS and FBS. They're both consistently in the Top 10-15. They do have a history (lots of games in the 80's & 90's). There's the inter-conference rivarly thing going on between CAA & SoCon. (Could be like SC-Clemson, FSU-Florida, or Ga-Ga Tech. Maybe even Maryland-West Virginia.) They're relatively close together geographically. Most importantly, there's animosity that's been brewing while a sustaining mutual respect. JMU fans are developing a bad taste in their mouths towards App, and App fans are starting to feel the same because of JMU fans' insistence that they outplayed App in '07.

JMU and App fans, is there any way we could petition our AD's to do a long-term contract? It could be so good for both schools. The more rivals a team has, the more interest it generates for the fanbase. The existence of multiple rivalries is a big reason why the SEC can command more television revenue than any other conference. Take Georgia for example. They have deep-seated rivalries with Florida, Ga. Tech, Tennessee, Auburn, and even South Carolina to an extent. JMU has rivalries with Delaware, Richmond, W&M, and periodic rivalries with the strong CAA North teams. ASU already has fierce rivalries with Elon, Furman, Ga. Southern, & Western, with an interesting history with Wofford, El Cid, & Nooga. I see no reason why both shouldn't be on each other's long-term schedules. It would be good for FCS football.

Gosh, I wish I could make it to the game this year!

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
INDIANA.........JESUS WOULD UNDERSTAND IF YOU WENT TO THE GAME.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
INDIANA.........JESUS WOULD UNDERSTAND IF YOU WENT TO THE GAME.

xconfusedx

Can anyone interpret that for me?

BDKJMU
August 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM

I'm sure that just happening to stop in Harrisonburg and just happening to be wearing an ASU sweatshirt were just mere coincidences...lol. Sounds like a case of "Lets make sure we stop and Harrisonburg while I'm wearing my ASU sweatshirt to see people's reactions."

elcid96
August 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Why doesn't JMU have a larger stadium if they are selling out their games?

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Why doesn't JMU have a larger stadium if they are selling out their games?

Well, they're working on it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

I think after this season they're starting on Phase 1. Phases 2 and 3 don't have a timetable. It'll be based on funding & demand.

BDKJMU
August 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I was following you up until the bolded part. I've said on here before that this could be a "must win" for JMU.

But, if ASU loses to LSU and JMU, they'll be 1-2 to start out the year. They'd then have to go 7-1 in conference, which they didn't do last year (although I'll admit their SoCon schedule is easier on them this year).

In fact, if we reverse that by only one win and beat Duke or Umass and come into the game 2-1, we theoretically don't need to win it as bad as App because we'd have a quality win under our belt almost making us a lock at 8-3.

Bottom line: with only 2 or 3 games under your belt, you have no idea who needs to win what game more than anybody else. I just hope we're not either too juiced (if we beat Umass and Duke) or too down (if the opposite happens).

EDIT: Also, just read the article. How is JMU talking themselves into a corner? They want to bounce back from a frustrating loss (wouldn't you?) and want to win the national championship (wouldn't you?). I don't see any bulletin board material in the article...Landers even admitted they've got a tough conference schedule

ASU would only then have to go 6-2 in the So-Con. ASU would likely make the playoffs at 8-4, if 2 of those losses were OOC to LSU and JMU.

BeauFoster
I'm sure that just happening to stop in Harrisonburg and just happening to be wearing an ASU sweatshirt were just mere coincidences...lol. Sounds like a case of "Lets make sure we stop and Harrisonburg while I'm wearing my ASU sweatshirt to see people's reactions."

Nah, they were on a cavern tour (they went to 4 or 5 different ones) and my mom says she chose the place to stop. She wouldn't know where JMU was if you hit her with a map of Virginia.

BeauFoster

Nah, they were on a cavern tour (they went to 4 or 5 different ones) and my mom says she chose the place to stop. She wouldn't know where JMU was if you hit her with a map of Virginia.

mcveyrl
August 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
ASU would only then have to go 6-2 in the So-Con. ASU would likely make the playoffs at 8-4, if 2 of those losses were OOC to LSU and JMU.

It also depends on who the other two losses were. My point still remains that nobody knows who needs a win more after 2 or 3 games. If both teams go undefeated except for this game, then neither team really needs it.

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Well, they're working on it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

I think after this season they're starting on Phase 1. Phases 2 and 3 don't have a timetable. It'll be based on funding & demand.

How many will it seat? It looks like it has a lot of seats for an FCS school!

mcveyrl
August 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM

If it gets to phase III (I think 60K), I'm almost positive we will have announced FBS plans. After Phase I, it'll hold about 25K, I think.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM

If it gets to phase III (I think 60K), I'm almost positive we will have announced FBS plans. After Phase I, it'll hold about 25K, I think.

from what i've heard from other JMU fans, anything past Phase 1 is a very long-term plan. Construction costs are rising rapidly. JMU isn't close to being ready for that many seats; however, as i understand it, JMU will continue to expand enrollment because of Virginia's growing student population. Thus, ideally, with more students come more alumni, more donors, and more fan demand for seats.

From what I've heard, it won't be as high as 60k. That stadium looks huge, but its design makes it look deceivingly larger than it actually would be. Notice that the lower decks go back only 20-25ish rows, not 35-40 rows as in 60k-seat stadiums. Similar case for the upper deck. From what I had read in other threads about JMU's stadium, total seating would be in the 40K's. Still, that's larger than a good handful of BCS teams, and it would be first-class all-around.

I cannot imagine that if Phase 3 were to actually happen that JMU would remain FCS. Marshall didn't stay FCS very long after hitting the 30K mark. No one does.

elcid96
August 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
from what i've heard from other JMU fans, anything past Phase 1 is a very long-term plan. Construction costs are rising rapidly. JMU isn't close to being ready for that many seats; however, as i understand it, JMU will continue to expand enrollment because of Virginia's growing student population. Thus, ideally, with more students come more alumni, more donors, and more fan demand for seats.

From what I've heard, it won't be as high as 60k. That stadium looks huge, but its design makes it look deceivingly larger than it actually would be. Notice that the lower decks go back only 20-25ish rows, not 35-40 rows as in 60k-seat stadiums. Similar case for the upper deck. From what I had read in other threads about JMU's stadium, total seating would be in the 40K's. Still, that's larger than a good handful of BCS teams, and it would be first-class all-around.

I cannot imagine that if Phase 3 were to actually happen that JMU would remain FCS. Marshall didn't stay FCS very long after hitting the 30K mark. No one does.

Once you get over 30K fans to come to your games on a regular basis, there is no need to stay FCS. I wonder how many fans attend Marshall games now that they lose every year.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Once you get over 30K fans to come to your games on a regular basis, there is no need to stay FCS. I wonder how many fans attend Marshall games now that they lose every year.

Is the first statement sarcasm? If so, you've got a point. High attendance in FCS doesn't guarantee success in FBS, and losing a lot in FBS can mean poor attendance.

Still, the reality is that most FCS teams that averaged over 30K, especially if it was year after year, would choose to make a move to FBS. I bet The Citadel would, too.