PDA

View Full Version : Would GameDay come to JMU / ASU?

JmuSkinsfan
August 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This was brought up over on the CAAZone boards. Apparently a local radio guy in Hampton Roads, Va. said on ESPN 1310 that ESPN is considering coming to Harrisonburg for Gameday for JMU / ASU.

Now I have been dreaming about this thought all summer but never really thought it would be possible. But how sick would this be? Do you guys know of anything we can do (asu and jmu fans or fcs fans in general) to make this happen? Aka emails to ESPN, Corso, Herbstreet, etc. Maybe if they get enough they will seriously consider it...or push them over the edge if they already are...

Skjellyfetti
August 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I really doubt it... there are a lot of good FBS games that day. I would love to see them there... just don't see it happening.

They really should at least mention it or do a segment on the game.
They'll probably be at one of these games (though it's hard to tell this early):

Florida vs. Tennessee

Georgia vs. Arizona State

LSU vs. Auburn

asu3peat
August 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
College Gameday in Harrisonburg would be awesome, but I doubt they'd pass up on some of the games listed above. Probably the only shot would be if both teams were undefeated.

On a side note, I recently met JMU's career leader in pts and rebounds up in NYC this past weekend. She's playing professionally in Spain.

KiddBrewer
August 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
not
a
chance

only if we beat LSU by 45+
i imagine they will be in Knoxville that day.

p.s. ABC decides where they go.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
The only way I could see them coming to an FCS game is if ASU beats LSU and GSU beats Georgia. Then they might come to Statesboro on October 18th.

BeauFoster
August 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Gotta say no way to this one. Tim Tebow is the ESPN golden boy, expect Game Day to be on his sack as often as possible. If I had to wager, I'd say that they will be at the UF-UT game. Although the other two have significant story lines as well - UGa-probably #1, LSUv.Auburn is shaping up to be a decent game. You know how Herbie sweats all over the SEC.

bluehenbillk
August 6th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Gotta believe they'll be in the desert. Besides, if you've ever been to Tempe & Mill St., why the hell would you wanna be in Harrisonburg, no disrespect to JMU, but Arizona St's campus is un-believable.

elon77
August 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I really doubt it... there are a lot of good FBS games that day. I would love to see them there... just don't see it happening.

They'll probably be at one of these games (though it's hard to tell this early):

Florida vs. Tennessee

LSU vs. Auburn

you think?xconfusedx

appstate38
August 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM
It may not be a total lose. What if the game at least gets a mention with some video footage of how big games take place all across college football and not just in the FBS. Herbie could even do the monologue for it. Complete with cupcakes of course. He may just blow a gasket when ASU-LSU play.

elcid96
August 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Didn't game day come to ASU last year?

BeauFoster
August 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Didn't game day come to ASU last year?

Nah, not really. They came in and taped some stuff with Ms. SC and played it during Game Day. It was cool as heck, but the actual show wasn't taped there.

furman94
August 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know, they were at that d2 game last year (Williams Ephs vs Amherst LordJeffs) so there is a slight miniscule chance that MAYBE Gameday would come; but only if App beats LSU and JMU beats Dook...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
You mean Duke (not UNC) Furman94 - McNeese St. is going to Chapel Hill this year.

Good Luck Cowboys! (ugh, I hate cowboys... at least you guys aren't blue and silver!)

Infinitesimal chance of this. But who knows!

AppStFan76
August 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I would just like to see ESPN pick up the game for broadcast!!

furman94
August 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Oh, whoops! If its Dukie, then you should have a 98% to 2% chance of beating the Devils. PLEASE DO IT!

Appinator
August 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
My money would be that they are at UGA v Az St.

ESPN actually runs all of ABC Sports now, as they are both owned by Disney. CBS has the first pick of what SEC games they want to run, so I am pretty sure that both the LSU and the Tennessee games will be on their network. ESPN will not waste money dragging the gameday set up to promote a rival networks game coverage, especially if a non-conference game like this is available.

What I think should happen is that they do a major bowl preview special done by the gameday crew on the day of the FCS championship from Chattanooga. That way they could build all day excitement for a game that probably most of the country doesn't care or know about, by giving a summary of the FCS year in review and then go over all of the up-coming bowl game match-ups. By the end of the days coverage, everyone would be salivating for some kind of football and be more than willing viewers to our game.

Just my two cents though....

furman94
August 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a great idea!

89Hen
August 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I really doubt it... there are a lot of good FBS games that day
That there is the problem. They also have to hedge against the chance LSU dismantles AppSt (certainly not wishing for that).

jonmac
August 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM

ESPN actually runs all of ABC Sports now, as they are both owned by Disney. CBS has the first pick of what SEC games they want to run, so I am pretty sure that both the LSU and the Tennessee games will be on their network. ESPN will not waste money dragging the gameday set up to promote a rival networks game coverage, especially if a non-conference game like this is available.

What I think should happen is that they do a major bowl preview special done by the gameday crew on the day of the FCS championship from Chattanooga. That way they could build all day excitement for a game that probably most of the country doesn't care or know about, by giving a summary of the FCS year in review and then go over all of the up-coming bowl game match-ups. By the end of the days coverage, everyone would be salivating for some kind of football and be more than willing viewers to our game.

Great idea. Time for an email campaign?

AppGrad06
August 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Florida vs. Tennessee

LSU vs. Auburn

Well it's unlikely that Gameday will be at the Tennessee v. Florida game. The game is here in Knoxville and I'm told the last time Gameday was here for that game some fans how didn't like the outcome of the game tipped over one of their trailers, and Understandably they made the decision never to come back here for the Florida game.

AppGrad06
August 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM

It hasn't stopped them in the past. Last year they covered the LSU/ florida and Florida/ UK games, both of which were SEC match-ups carried on CBS

Boone4280
August 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM
i think if asu beats lsu, goes undefeated, and is the semis, at home, under the lights, there is a slllllight possibility for a gameday, slight.

elcid96
August 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think the real question is marketability. How many football fans (FCS and FBS) actually watched the championship game on ESPN? That would be a good indicator on how many folks would watch game day if it was televised at ASU or JMU. My guess is not that many.

Appinator
August 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
It hasn't stopped them in the past. Last year they covered the LSU/ florida and Florida/ UK games, both of which were SEC match-ups carried on CBS

Yes, they gave the game coverage, but Gameday wasn't at the actual game's site.

Great idea. Time for an email campaign?

I would happily email some one if I knew who to contact. No matter who ends up in the NC game, I think it would be great for the FCS.

I think the real question is marketability. How many football fans (FCS and FBS) actually watched the championship game on ESPN? That would be a good indicator on how many folks would watch game day if it was televised at ASU or JMU. My guess is not that many.

You are exactly correct. No matter how great the game could be, the amount of potential viewership is the soul factor on determining these types of things. Outside of mildly educated FCS fans, I don't think the game would garner that much national demand. Which is sad, because, baring any injuries from our respective first few games, it should be a barn burner.

KiddBrewer
August 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well it's unlikely that Gameday will be at the Tennessee v. Florida game. The game is here in Knoxville and I'm told the last time Gameday was here for that game some fans how didn't like the outcome of the game tipped over one of their trailers, and Understandably they made the decision never to come back here for the Florida game.

ha didnt know all that...in that case, you'll definitely see those idiots in Tempe that Saturday.

GannonFan
August 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
No chance in hell - Gameday went to other FCS sites when there wasn't anything major happening anywhere else - they went to Penn/Harvard in Philly and the Bayou Classic - both late season games with limited FBS competition. They aren't doing an FCS game in the middle of September.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Yes, they gave the game coverage, but Gameday wasn't at the actual game's site.

I would happily email some one if I knew who to contact. No matter who ends up in the NC game, I think it would be great for the FCS.

You are exactly correct. No matter how great the game could be, the amount of potential viewership is the soul factor on determining these types of things. Outside of mildly educated FCS fans, I don't think the game would garner that much national demand. Which is sad, because, baring any injuries from our respective first few games, it should be a barn burner.
Gameday was at the Florida/Kentucky game last season.