PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating at Marshall

OSBF
August 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
A fairly good sized contingent of Redbird fans are making the trek to C untington this labor day weekend. I would like to hear from UNH fans that were there last year. Where can you park for tailgating? What did it cost to park? Any areas to avoid? I guess just fill me in on any positive/negative aspects of your trip there. Thanks in advance!!!

ysubigred
August 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The west end of the stadium has a huge lot in a grassy area. Seemed to be where all the fun was in 2001. xbowx

elcid96
August 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Better bring your gun

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Go on Marshall's website and you'll get plenty of help, and probably an invitation to their tailgate. The Tribe's trip to Huntington in 2005 was one of the best roadtrips I've ever had. Very friendly, and accommodating bunch, and respectful of FCS football.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
A fairly good sized contingent of Redbird fans are making the trek to C untington this labor day weekend. I would like to hear from UNH fans that were there last year. Where can you park for tailgating? What did it cost to park? Any areas to avoid? I guess just fill me in on any positive/negative aspects of your trip there. Thanks in advance!!!

We had a great time down there....as did every UNH fan I've talked to that went.

They do a big tailgate "Smokin' Thunder". It cost a couple buck to get in, but is well worth it. The Marshall fans will make you feel welcome. Go to www.HerdFans.com they'll be very helpful.

I found the Marshall fans just as nice after the game as before. Kind of a surprise give the way the game went.

Have a great time and good luck.

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
What funnny weed are ya'll smokin? Marsha? Inviting? The words are opposites in any Socon fan's book! Marsha fans threw D-Cell batteries at our players on a few occasions, and their fans... NO COMMENT! Huntington WV is a scary place!

UNHWILDCATS05
August 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
What funnny weed are ya'll smokin? Marsha? Inviting? The words are opposites in any Socon fan's book! Marsha fans threw D-Cell batteries at our players on a few occasions, and their fans... NO COMMENT! Huntington WV is a scary place!

Nothing could be farther from the truth as far as our visit to Huntington last year.... we spent a good amount of time walking around downtown huntington and the immediate area... everyone was over the top nice including people we met at the bars after the game... We even had time to visit some of the sites related to the airplane crash, including the memorial at the cemetary. We just took a cab everywhere from our hotel so i dont know about parking. But you HAVE TO GO TO the smoking thunder tailgate run by a guy called Blade. One of my top 3 tailgating experiences ever... Read this thread to get some more info and opinions: AGS Link (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29347&page=22) Good luck, it should be a great time!

Appaholic
August 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Nothing could be farther from the truth as far as our visit to Huntington last year.... we spent a good amount of time walking around downtown huntington and the immediate area... everyone was over the top nice including people we met at the bars after the game... We even had time to visit some of the sites related to the airplane crash, including the memorial at the cemetary. We just took a cab everywhere from our hotel so i dont know about parking. But you HAVE TO GO TO the smoking thunder tailgate run by a guy called Blade. One of my top 3 tailgating experiences ever... Read this thread to get some more info and opinions: AGS Link (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29347&page=22) Good luck, it should be a great time!

Yep......having regularly suffered through some losing campaigns, the Terd fans are probably a little more accomodating.......losing is a humbling experience......I don't know how western has survived it lo these many moons.....

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM

How long ago was that?

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Until Marshall left the Socon and became D1 (FBS) in 1997

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Until Marshall left the Socon and became D1 (FBS) in 1997

I'm sure they've been humbled a bit.
Or perhaps all the front runnin' dicks are our of the picture now.
It seems when a team does well the "fans" that show up for the good times aren't the best.xwhistlex xwhistlex

I can tell you the time I spent down there was great.

But, I'll bet people have a great time at UMass too.xsmiley_wix

T-Dog
August 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Better bring your gun

That honestly was the truth when M*rsh*ll was in FCS. Huntington, WV was a legitimate scary place for an opposing fan, especially a conference foe. Never went but I've heard tons of stories about traveling fans fearing for their lives, cops laughing at it all and brandishing rifles.

However, it seems like it has changed for the better, which is good. However, we in the SoCon still hate the Blundering Turds with a passion and are glad to be rid of them.

CID1990
August 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Avoid the guy who looks like Appaholic's avatar pimping his sister.

UNHWILDCATS05
August 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
But, I'll bet people have a great time at UMass too.xsmiley_wix

Wow. I didn't think of it that way... Great point!

GreatAppSt
August 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Nothing could be farther from the truth AGS Link (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29347&page=22) Good luck, it should be a great time!

Farther from the truth yeah right! Once myself and 2 friends had to fistfight our way back to our car, no kidding. Wonderful folks support that team my azz!xmadx Though they my be nicer now that they are losing all the timexthumbsupx :D .

ButlerGSU
August 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Better bring your gun

I have never been to Marshall myself but they have a very poor reputation among fans at gsufans.com

BearsCountry
August 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I know App State and Furman was big rivals of Marshall back in their SoCon days which explains the hosities. I'm sure GA Southern got it as well. But for the most part Marshall fans have been pretty nice.

Tribe4SF
August 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
"Blade" Pauley is the leader of the "Smokin Thunder" tailgate. First class guy who produces his own BBQue sauce. These folks know how to have fun!

http://smokinthunder.com/

OL FU
August 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I am glad to hear that things seem to be better with the Blundering Turds. Perhaps they are humbled. Perhaps they have grown up. Perhaps the rivalry with FU stirred their hatred, but it was the scariest place I attended a game. Fun is fun, but the opposing teams fans should not have to worry about whether you are going to get out of the stadium in one piece.

Here is to a kinder gentler and frequently losing Marshall nation:pumpuke:

PS my last visit, 20 years ago when we took 'em down in the their stadium on the way to our national championship.xnodx

BeauFoster
August 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Back in 1996, my family was traveling through and had a gun pulled on us at a red light. Dad floored it before they did anything, but it really showed me what a class place Huntington is. It wouldn't bother me if an earthquake took the whole place out.

WrenFGun
August 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I'll echo the UNH sentiments. I wouldn't say I had a wonderful time in WV, because there is absolutely nothing to do, but the people were friendly and accommodating. I made the mistake of not buying tickets with the UNH Ticket Office, and thus we were smack dab in the middle of the Marshall cheering section. Yet, all I recall hearing was compliments for how Santos was playing and congratulations when we held onto win. People seemed very interested in the development of our program. Perhaps we just got lucky, as walking out of the stadium was a tad more difficult with my David Ball jersey on.

One thing I did notice is people had no interest in letting us park in any of their lots. They saw our jerseys and told us lots were closed, even when considering loads of open spaces. Took forever to get out of there, too, but that's to be expected. Didn't tailgate, though.