PDA

View Full Version : Who is picked to win the NEC?

Ruler
August 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have not seen anything as to who is favored to win the NEC. Anyone have any info?

UAalum72
August 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Last four years the NEC coaches' selections came out between Aug. 10 - 20. The SME Network picked Albany this year.

Monarch History
August 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Everything I've read picks Albany with Central Connecticut State and Monmouth having the best chance if the Danes don't live up to their expectations.

Seawolf97
August 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Everything I've read picks Albany with Central Connecticut State and Monmouth having the best chance if the Danes don't live up to their expectations.

My thoughts exactly. The Big 3 will do battle again. Im interested to see how Duquesene stacks up this season. They could be surprise.

YaleFootballFan
August 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have not seen anything as to who is favored to win the NEC. Anyone have any info?

Quinnipiac should be undefeated again this year. ;)

Blue Hen Nation
August 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I've become a fan Albany and will go with them this season.

danefan
August 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Its pretty hard to pick anyone but Albany. Most of the teams in the league lost some key players, including Albany. Albany absolutely ran over the league last year and there's no reason to think it would be any different this year.

One positive note I took from looking at the composite schedule is that the NEC teams are down to 3 sub DI games (Sacred Heart has 2 and Wagner 1). That is not counting Bryant.

OOC total for NEC:

5 CAA opponents (Albany plays 4 of the 5)
2 Big South
2 MEAC
1 Gateway
2 Patriot
2 Indy
6 PFL
3 Sub DI
Everyone except Albany plays Bryant.

Much better than in most years. We need to drop some of the PFL and all of the Sub-DI games and replace them with Ivy and more Patriot.

JMG1MON
August 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Dane, that would be 6 CAA teams I think. Monmouth plays Maine and URI.

aceinthehole
August 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Its pretty hard to pick anyone but Albany. Most of the teams in the league lost some key players, including Albany. Albany absolutely ran over the league last year and there's no reason to think it would be any different this year.

Certainly Albany is the favorite this year, but lets remember that was their first outright conference title since 2002. While they went through the NEC undefeated, you could say it was a down year for the conference (even by NEC standards). UA is still my pick, but who knows what happens after that killer non-conference schedule. Don't forget, the Danes were picked to win it in 2004 and 2006 and fell short both times. IF UA wins the title, it well be well deserved, but you shouldn't think winning the conference is easy or sure thing.

My preseason poll:
1. Albany
2. CCSU
3. Duquesene
4. Monmouth
5. Wagner / Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. St. Francis PA

Bonus:
Bryant plays 6 NEC teams (everyone except UA and SHU). I think they could win 2 games (at SFPA and vs RMU).

danefan
August 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM

You're right. It won't let me edit it now though.

And Ace is right also in that Bryant doesn't play Sacred Heart either.

KAUMASS
August 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I have a lot of respect for Albany as a football team. They have a brutal first 4 games with 4 CAA teams in a row, all on the road. I hope they stay healthy through those 4 games as they get into their NEC conference games. The NEC has some excellent players in the league. Heck, Albany notched a win over Delaware, Central Conn beat Georgia Southern and I believe Monmouth has beaten Rhode Island. I still have some question marks on why Albany wants to play 4 road games against the CAA in a row to open up the season. I'm not doubting that Albany can pull some W's, it just doesn't make sense to me. That would be like UMass playing 4 strong FBS schools b4 playing their CAA schedule. Hope they have enough gas in the tank.

Does Albany want to make a jump to a full 63 scholie allotment and be ready for a potential conference move if it becomes available?

dgreco
August 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM

at Bryant it is 7

dgreco
August 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Certainly Albany is the favorite this year, but lets remember that was their first outright conference title since 2002. While they went through the NEC undefeated, you could say it was a down year for the conference (even by NEC standards). UA is still my pick, but who knows what happens after that killer non-conference schedule. Don't forget, the Danes were picked to win it in 2004 and 2006 and fell short both times. IF UA wins the title, it well be well deserved, but you shouldn't think winning the conference is easy or sure thing.

My preseason poll:
1. Albany
2. CCSU
3. Duquesene
4. Monmouth
5. Wagner / Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. St. Francis PA

Bonus:
Bryant plays 6 NEC teams (everyone except UA and SHU). I think they could win 2 games (at SFPA and vs RMU).

I think you are right. I thought they might have a chance vs. Wagner, but other than those 2 games I think Bryant is a 4 or 5 win team. Hopefully 5.

redflash2
August 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
you guys are in for a big big suprise!!!! the NEC could go anybody's way... xnodx

danefan
August 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have a lot of respect for Albany as a football team. They have a brutal first 4 games with 4 CAA teams in a row, all on the road. I hope they stay healthy through those 4 games as they get into their NEC conference games. The NEC has some excellent players in the league. Heck, Albany notched a win over Delaware, Central Conn beat Georgia Southern and I believe Monmouth has beaten Rhode Island. I still have some question marks on why Albany wants to play 4 road games against the CAA in a row to open up the season. I'm not doubting that Albany can pull some W's, it just doesn't make sense to me. That would be like UMass playing 4 strong FBS schools b4 playing their CAA schedule. Hope they have enough gas in the tank.

Does Albany want to make a jump to a full 63 scholie allotment and be ready for a potential conference move if it becomes available?

The reasoning for playing the games is really unknown to me. Besides just playing the best possible OOC teams they have geographic and institutional similarities to UMass, UNH and Delaware. That's the best guess I can come up with. They are not big guarantee games (if at all). They are great for recruiting though. Everyone wants to play at Delaware, Montana, etc.....

And to answer the scholarship question - the plan at UAlbany is to be at 63 rides with a new stadium and in a full scholarship league in the near future.

danefan
August 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
you guys are in for a big big suprise!!!! the NEC could go anybody's way... xnodx

I was waiting for you to get here.xnodx xthumbsupx

UAalum72
August 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I still have some question marks on why Albany wants to play 4 road games against the CAA in a row to open up the season.
Of course it wasn't supposed to be 4 road games in a row, but a home game against Fordham instead of the bye week would have been no easier.

danefan
August 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Of course it wasn't supposed to be 4 road games in a row, but a home game against Fordham instead of the bye week would have been no easier.

I'm almost happy about the bye-week now. Besides the fact that we aren't helping build a fan base with no home games until October 11th.

At least they don't have 5 games in a row with 4 against playoff teams from last year. I just wish the bye fell after the Hofstra game.

redflash2
August 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
lol I know you was waiting for that...

rmutv
August 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I will say that I expect Robert Morris to be in the middle of the pack. Mostly because no one knows how they're going to play or even WHO is going to play.

Camp begins with registration and orientation tomorrow, and the next couple of weeks will be very, very interesting in Moon Township. It's basically an entire new receiving corps, a slightly different offensive line, and a new defense with a few key holdovers.

At least 3 new starters in the secondary, two at linebacker, and at least two on the defensive line.