PDA

View Full Version : Best Big South Media Guide Cover

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately Stony Brook hasn't posted theirs yet, but I wanted to see what other people think of which is the best.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/6557/vmigwupcsn7.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/746/ccucsubi7.jpg
http://www.libertyflames.com/media/1912/football/2008mediaguide/2008footballmediaguidecover-large.jpg

patssle
August 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
PC and CS are god awful. GW is below average. VMI is decent. Liberty is way too cluttered. CCU is the best, I give it a B+.

/graphic designer

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I find it very odd that Chuck South has that picture of the stadium on there. Usually you reserve pictures of a stadium to your own stadium.

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
It's CSU. What do you expect?

PantherRob82
August 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Coastal by a slim margin over LU and CSU

furman94
August 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ha! Is that Florida's (which is gay by the way xthumbsupx ) stadium?

th0m
August 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about, I mean they're media guide covers, but I understand the need for them to look good. CSU is god awful. Gardner-Webb's and PC's are too cluttered but get the message across. I just don't think the teal and black mix very well with Coastal's cover but graphically it's sound. VMI's, in my opinion, is the classiest but Liberty's is the 'nicest' with the black-white background and the championship-ring, albeit of the Big South, are a nice touch.

th0m
August 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Ha! Is that Florida's (which is gay by the way xthumbsupx ) stadium?

Looks like Dolphins/Pro Player/whatever it's called nowadays - Stadium

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm asking from a sheer opinion perspective because I know our designer, but why is CCU's better than LU's? I personally think ours is better (especially when coupled with the back and inside covers (http://www.libertyflames.com/media/1912/football/2008mediaguide/08%20LU%20MG%20Fball_CVR%20Split.pdf)) from a sheer graphic design standpoint. I know someone said ours was cluttered but I don't see how it's any more cluttered than Coastal's. I thought that the little things, along with not a generic design, put Liberty's over Coastal's. I'm trying not to be homerish on this, but would just like to know what made Coastal's better?

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about, I mean they're media guide covers

It's not a big deal. It's just something to talk about.

patssle
August 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm asking from a sheer opinion perspective because I know our designer, but why is CCU's better than LU's? I personally think ours is better (especially when coupled with the back and inside covers (http://www.libertyflames.com/media/1912/football/2008mediaguide/08%20LU%20MG%20Fball_CVR%20Split.pdf)) from a sheer graphic design standpoint. I know someone said ours was cluttered but I don't see how it's any more cluttered than Coastal's. I thought that the little things, along with not a generic design, put Liberty's over Coastal's. I'm trying not to be homerish on this, but would just like to know what made Coastal's better?

First, the names of the players and descriptions get easily lost. You have think about and hunt for them to see what they say. Get rid of the coach and move #53 to his spot. If thats not possible by school demands, then get rid of #53 and move the coach down. Its just way too cluttered.

The coach really ruins it for me.

Again, just my opinion as a graphic designer.

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
What if I showed you a bigger version? I'm not asking you to change your vote or anything, but just wanted to know if your opinion would change seeing a higher quality picture.

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/337/picture1wu7.png

Edit: Crap, that's not the version I thought it was. The full-scale is on my work computer.

patssle
August 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Bigger wouldn't help. I do like how the front and back are connected. Its a good design...a little cleaning up would make it a great design.

CarolinaGirl
August 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Wittmin Reese front and center on the cover decides it for me. CCU all the way, of course! xthumbsupx

Whose stadium IS that on CSU's cover? It certainly isn't theirs by any stretch of the imagination...

catamount man
August 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Gave my nod to the REAL Military college of the South, VMI. xwhistlex

th0m
August 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It's not a big deal. It's just something to talk about.

I understand, and it is a welcome difference from regular football talk. With that I simply meant that what I said about the covers should really be taken for what it's worth.

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Another reason it's a big deal is because media guides are used for recruiting.

BJuice
August 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hey people!!! Pay attention!!! The stadium on the front of our cover is the Dolhpins' (NFL) stadium where we will be playing our first game of the season against the "U" ('Canes).

It is a recruiting tool and the inclusion of that photo is to show recruits that we play top shelf competition. Our players will get a chance to play the "U" in Miami on ESPN and in an NFL stadium. That is pretty huge. Last year they got a chance to play against a top 10 team that played in a BCS bowl game in Hawaii. Next year they will open in the Swamp, against an SEC team, again in front of a Florida viewing audience. It is all about the coaching staff realizing the importance of the state of Florida in recruiting.

SBUFAN33
August 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
why wasn't stonynrook included in this poll

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hey people!!! Pay attention!!! The stadium on the front of our cover is the Dolhpins' (NFL) stadium where we will be playing our first game of the season against the "U" ('Canes).

It is a recruiting tool and the inclusion of that photo is to show recruits that we play top shelf competition. Our players will get a chance to play the "U" in Miami on ESPN and in an NFL stadium. That is pretty huge. Last year they got a chance to play against a top 10 team that played in a BCS bowl game in Hawaii. Next year they will open in the Swamp, against an SEC team, again in front of a Florida viewing audience. It is all about the coaching staff realizing the importance of the state of Florida in recruiting.

I understand what stadium it is and what it means to your program. I just think it makes sense to put it on the inside with write-up of your past and future FBS opponents.

Putting it on the cover just looks cheesy (IMO). We played at Pro Player when I was a sophomore against FAU. I would have said the same thing if they put it on my media guide.

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Because he said he couldn't find the SBU media guide.

Hoseinexile07
August 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
So who's the other guy who voted for PC? :D

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM

I couldn't find it on your website. I don't think it's been released yet.

FCS Go!
August 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think you guys are a bunch of homers. PC's is the only media guide cover that looks like it was done by someone who has graduated highschool. The rest are too busy and/or lack decent composition. Regardless this is the dumbest poll of the off-season so far. xnodx

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The duplicated layer of the players in the background on PC's looks horrible. Without that it wouldn't be bad.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
VMI.

Seawolf97
August 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Gave a vote to VMI

hoseman
August 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Regardless this is the dumbest poll of the off-season so far. xnodx What he said.

Monarch History
August 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Gave my nod to the REAL Military college of the South, VMI. xwhistlex

You've gone and done it now. I think I hear Citdog coming around the corner.