PDA

View Full Version : SFA-SHSU game on Fox SW

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Is anyone else watching this game? The Bearkats are pretty much having their way with the Jacks, 17-0 a minute into the second quarter. Not very impressed with SFA.

ISUMatt
October 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yea the new run and gun SFA looks AWEFUL!!!

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM
It's not your mother's, or father's SFA. Not the smash-mouth Jacks that I remember coming to Boone and playing Appalachian State in the 1995 playoffs. It almost seems un-Southland-like to see a team (other than Southeastern Louisiana) line up in the spread.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:24 PM
The carnage continues as Christian makes a great catch for his first career touchdown. 24-0 Sam Houston midway through the second quarter. So much for SFA being a threat in the Southland this year.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
75 yards pass play to Stevie Smith sets up another Sam Houston TD. 31-0 Kats late in the first half. Can we count Zeke Dixon out now, Ralph? 168 yards of all-purpose yardage for Mr. Smith in the first half. Is he an All-Star this week?

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Doctor, I detect a slight pulse in the patient, Mr. SFA. Louie Runnels goes 51 yards on a run. Zeke Dixon is like 6-of-25 for 59 yards passing. They came in ranked ninth in I-AA in passing. Jacks settle for a field goal to make it 31-3.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM
32 more yards for Stevie Smith on the kickoff return. He's looked great tonight.

Eaglegus2
October 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I am impressed with Stevie Smith and his versitility

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Another TD for Sam Houston. 38-3 early in the third. Nice to see Ron Randleman being interviewed. Says he's enjoying retirement. He's still teaching classes at SHSU. He called the win over Eastern Washington the best comeback of his career.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Things just keep getting worse for SFA. A fumbled punt return and then Godfrey scores to make it 45-3 with 6:33 left in the third.

Retro
October 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
The TV announcer mentioned earlier that the SFA coach said the long trip to play Mcneese may have contributed to their defeat last week. What's his excuse this week? Too short a drive! They may SHS look like a last year's team. :spank:

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Finally a touchdown for SFA on a fourth and long play from the 18, Chance Dennis makes it 45-10 with a little over three minutes left in the third.

BobcatSymphony
October 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM
It's not your mother's, or father's SFA. Not the smash-mouth Jacks that I remember coming to Boone and playing Appalachian State in the 1995 playoffs. It almost seems un-Southland-like to see a team (other than Southeastern Louisiana) line up in the spread.

I believe Tx State is using multiple looks this year, including the spread and 3-bunch offense. I like the results so far. I think we've finally realized the potential of our QB to create a pass AND run threat. :cool:

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
The TV announcer mentioned earlier that the SFA coach said the long trip to play Mcneese may have contributed to their defeat last week. What's his excuse this week? Too short a drive! They may SHS look like a last year's team. :spank:
I know this isn't exactly an original thought, but I haven't been all that impressed with these announcers. Of course that's typical of most I-AA broadcasts. They ought to hire Ralph and I to do some of these games.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Is that really Dustin Long playing quarterback for the Kats? 51-10, ouch.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
The Lumberjack mascot tackles the Bearkat mascot and knocks him off his moped near the stands. The color guy says "That's one of the best tackles Stephen F. Austin has made all night." Double ouch.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Cooter the goat as Sam Houston's live mascot? Are we serious? They couldn't find a live Bearkat (of course not)? This is the type of stuff you learn when the score is 52-17 in the fourth quarter.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Funny how teams like SFA can make things look respectable by scoring a bunch of points against second and third team defenders. It may be 52-24, but those of us who have watched this know just how bad Sam Houston has kicked some Jacks butt.

GeauxLions94
October 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
The Lumberjack mascot tackles the Bearkat mascot and knocks him off his moped near the stands. The color guy says "That's one of the best tackles Stephen F. Austin has made all night." Double ouch.

You mean SFA actually made tackles. :rolleyes: Can't watch the game because of damn Charter Cable. :mad: :mad: Seven weeks out since the Hurricane and it should be back up and running here in Slidell. :bang:

Hey, we go to Nacogdoches next week to face the Jacks. Hope the excuses keep on coming from SFA -- Too long a drive against McNeese, too short a drive to SHSU, no drive vs. the Green and Gold Nation :D

Mr. C
October 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM
You mean SFA actually made tackles. :rolleyes: Can't watch the game because of damn Charter Cable. :mad: :mad: Seven weeks out since the Hurricane and it should be back up and running here in Slidell. :bang:

Hey, we go to Nacogdoches next week to face the Jacks. Hope the excuses keep on coming from SFA -- Too long a drive against McNeese, too short a drive to SHSU, no drive vs. the Green and Gold Nation :D
Maybe the Jacks will want to play that game in Huntsville, too? If they play as poorly on defense as they did tonight, Felton Huggins and company will roll up a ton of points.

Lionsrking
October 20th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Maybe the Jacks will want to play that game in Huntsville, too? If they play as poorly on defense as they did tonight, Felton Huggins and company will roll up a ton of points.

If we can finally get both of our running backs and our leading receiver healthy, we'll move the ball. We've been playing the last three weeks with one hand tied behind our backs.

SFA and Sam Houston are our next two opponents (after McNeese) so it was good to watch the game. We play both on the road which will be tough no doubt but from what I saw tonight, I think both are a notch below what we've seen out of Texas State and Northwestern. Of course SFA will probably look like the 1985 Chicago Bears when we get to Nacogdoches next week.

Chi Panther
October 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Too bad....SFA always has a place in my heart....

beerkat
October 21st, 2005, 12:21 AM
if this SHSU team had showed up all year we would be 5-1 and top 5 easily right now

blackfordpu
October 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM

We would have rolled up A LOT more points but we were merciful, though I don't know why. Maybe it is because TW is an alum of SFA?

Agreed beerkat, if the team that played tonight shows up for the rest of the season the SLC will be a very tight race. :)

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM
Cooter the goat as Sam Houston's live mascot? Are we serious? They couldn't find a live Bearkat (of course not)? This is the type of stuff you learn when the score is 52-17 in the fourth quarter.

Kooter is named after our play by play guy. His color guy nominated the name. Students thought it was sexual (allegedly). We had a live kinkajou on campus actually and it wouldn't work in the surroundings. That's back when there were many streakers on campus!

FYI, I worked stats for FoxSW providing all the random stats that showed up during the game from Stevie's all-purpose yards to Zeke Dixon's awful passing to Stewart Pearcy's kicking into the end zone...

kats89
October 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Was at the game last night. Man what a domination that was totally unexpected. The O-line just manhandled the SFA defensive front most of the night as Godfrey/Smith ran all over the place. We have some nice, young receivers in the mix. #83 Brian Christian is a true freshman and is starting to show the abilities that the coaches have been really talking about.

Defensed was flying all over the place. Of course, SFA with a ton of dropped passes didn't hurt, but LB #34 DD Terry (8 solo tackles) and DL #97 John Griffin (10 Solo tackles) were causing problems most of the night by not allowing the RB's to get started.

Overall, great game for our kids. It has been a long season to this point, but everything just seemed to start clicking tonight. Offense can't get more balanced than it was

Net Rushing...245 yds
Net Passing...267 yds

Total yds..... 512 yds

Just no answer for these guys last night!!!! Smith & Godfrey

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/front_big/300_smith_sfa.jpg http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/action_godfrey_sfa.jpg

blackfordpu
October 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Was at the game last night. Man what a domination that was totally unexpected. The O-line just manhandled the SFA defensive front most of the night as Godfrey/Smith ran all over the place. We have some nice, young receivers in the mix. #83 Brian Christian is a true freshman and is starting to show the abilities that the coaches have been really talking about.

Defensed was flying all over the place. Of course, SFA with a ton of dropped passes didn't hurt, but LB #34 DD Terry (8 solo tackles) and DL #97 John Griffin (10 Solo tackles) were causing problems most of the night by not allowing the RB's to get started.

Overall, great game for our kids. It has been a long season to this point, but everything just seemed to start clicking tonight. Offense can't get more balanced than it was

Net Rushing...245 yds
Net Passing...267 yds

Total yds..... 512 yds

Just no answer for these guys last night!!!! Smith & Godfrey

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/front_big/300_smith_sfa.jpg http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/action_godfrey_sfa.jpg

Yes, I knew Stevie was a burner but Godfrey showed speed that I didn't know he had. :)

kats89
October 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Yes, I knew Stevie was a burner but Godfrey showed speed that I didn't know he had

Godfrey doesn't have great speed, but he can turn it on a little when he wants to. I get so frustrated with him because he just seems to go through the motions for the first half of the season, then he has a breakout game and then ends ups playing pretty well the rest of the season. I wish he would have put it together for an entire year. He has been a steady back for us his entire career avg 5.0 yds per carry. We lose them both after this year anyway.

Here is another good photo of Stevie!!

http://www.itemonline.com/content/articles/2005/10/21/sports/todays_sports/sports01.jpg

Cat79
October 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Great game BearKats