PDA

View Full Version : UAlbany Great Danes begin practice today!

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Can't believe the season is already upon us!

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1546761

Albany, N.Y. – The University at Albany football program begins preseason camp on Monday, August 4 with an afternoon practice, from 2:30-4:30 p.m. The Great Danes will conduct their preseason practices on the UAlbany campus’ Dutch Quad intramural fields. UAlbany opens its 36th varsity campaign against Massachusetts on Saturday, August 30 in Amherst, Mass. Kickoff is 6:00 p.m. ET.

2008 SEASON PREVIEW
UAlbany won its third Northeast Conference title in 2007 by becoming the fifth team in league history to go undefeated in conference play. The Great Danes will have to work even harder to repeat with a challenging non-league schedule and the addition of Duquesne as an NEC member.

"We have greater team depth and a stable of quality athletes," offers head coach Bob Ford, who enters his 40th season at the collegiate level with a 225-162-1 career record. "But at the same time, we have more question marks than we've had in recent times heading into fall camp."

Ford has 47 letterwinners, including 11 starters, returning from a squad that finished with an 8-4 record. The Great Danes have produced seven or more wins six times as a FCS program.

"We will be a decent football team on defense," Ford says. "The linebackers and defensive backs are solid. (Dave) Nicomini's injury hurts us greatly. We lost some excellent players on the defensive line."

Ford continues, "Our running attack is pretty good behind a scrappy group of offensive linemen. We need more productivity in the passing game and consistent play from our receivers."

The Great Danes will open with four consecutive Colonial Athletic Conference opponents, including national runner-up Delaware and NCAA quarterfinalist Massachusetts in preparation for the NEC schedule.

I think we see real quick what type of team this is. With what could be the hardest 4 opening games in all of FCS these kids will have to put up and fast.

@UMass
@Hofstra
@New Hampshire
@Delaware

Then we get into NEC play with a road game at Duquense and finally home on October 11th against Central.

What a stretch of 5 away games in the first six weeks with a bye in week two.

Fordham
August 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Good luck danefan. Too bad we're not on each other's skids this year and hopefully we'll get this rivalry back next year. Great OOC, though.

What's the latest on Ditsch in the pros?

bluehenbillk
August 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=danefan;1045348] With what could be the hardest 4 opening games in all of FCS these kids will have to put up and fast.

@UMass
@Hofstra
@New Hampshire
@Delaware

[QUOTE]

That just sounds like life in the CAA from here......

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Good luck danefan. Too bad we're not on each other's skids this year and hopefully we'll get this rivalry back next year. Great OOC, though.

What's the latest on Ditsch in the pros?

Disch is in Germany playing for the Berlin Adler in the German Football League.

he led the team in tackles this season. Berlin won the league championship.

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
With what could be the hardest 4 opening games in all of FCS these kids will have to put up and fast.

@UMass
@Hofstra
@New Hampshire
@Delaware

That just sounds like life in the CAA from here......

Except not all on the road in a row. xnonono2x

SBUFAN33
August 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm Still Pissed that we are not playing you guys this year

KAUMASS
August 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I expect a very competitive game from Albany to open up the season.
Brutal opening 4 games for you. You coach noted you have some depth this year, which is always good.

Good luck with your 4 CAA games and the rest of the NEC. How is Albany's OOC schedule next year?

Looks to me like you guys have bigger plans than the NEC in the coming years or want to be "ready" for a potential move to a bigger conference if it arises.

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I expect a very competitive game from Albany to open up the season.
Brutal opening 4 games for you. You coach noted you have some depth this year, which is always good.

Good luck with your 4 CAA games and the rest of the NEC. How is Albany's OOC schedule next year?

Looks to me like you guys have bigger plans than the NEC in the coming years or want to be "ready" for a potential move to a bigger conference if it arises.

I have to be honest I'm not sure about next year. Its been rather quiet on that front but I think we have Hofstra again. And the series with Fordham is supposed to be put back on track.

Other than that I hope we move our OOC down south a bit with a game against a CAA South and a SOCON squad. I wouldn't mind playing at JMU, W&M, The Citadel, Elon, etc.... It would be great for recruiting.

Ruler
August 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I sure as hell would rather be playing Stony Brook and Fordham as opposed to UMASS and Delaware/New Hampshire. No disrespect but Fordham and SBU are beatable where as I feel UMASS/Delaware are not.

Seawolf97
August 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I sure as hell would rather be playing Stony Brook and Fordham as opposed to UMASS and Delaware/New Hampshire. No disrespect but Fordham and SBU are beatable where as I feel UMASS/Delaware are not.

You guys are starting off against a brick wall. Could have played maybe 2 of those games plus an IVY and PL team made life little easier. Good luck though in 2008!