PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats Report For Camp

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Write-up on the news from Bearkat camp. The Kat faithful have high expectations for this season. Lets hope they come to fruition.

Eighty-two student-athletes will report for Sam Houston State pre-season football camp Sunday August 3.

Head football coach Todd Whitten and his coaching staff welcome back 39 returning lettermen and 14 redshirts from last year’s 7-4 squad that finished as runner-up in the Southland Conference for the second consecutive season.

Included among the returnees are 12 starters, six on offense and six on defense. Two special teams regulars also are back. That list includes six Bearkats who earned All-Southland Conference honors last year.

Defensive end Chris Brown was a first team selection in 2007. Kicker Taylor Wilkins and linebacker Nolan Bucek were named to the All-SLC second team. Quarterback Rhett Bomar, offensive lineman Hunter Schmidt and defensive lineman Eric Mikolajchak were honorable mention All-Southland.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1542073

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Biggest question marks...

1) QB. Is Bomar 100% coming into this season and will a backup QB emerge as the solid #2 guy?
2) OL. Lost a few guys on the O-Line. The talent is there. What will we see?
3) Secondary. Hit or miss a year ago, what will we get this year? This is a pass-happy league and while we did not end up on SportsCenter like another SLC school courtesy of Nathan Brown, we got to be careful against Brown, Forroux, Moses, George and whomever else...

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Biggest question marks...

1) QB. Is Bomar 100% coming into this season and will a backup QB emerge as the solid #2 guy?
2) OL. Lost a few guys on the O-Line. The talent is there. What will we see?
3) Secondary. Hit or miss a year ago, what will we get this year? This is a pass-happy league and while we did not end up on SportsCenter like another SLC school courtesy of Nathan Brown, we got to be careful against Brown, Forroux, Moses, George and whomever else...

4) Can the receivers hold on to the ball this season?

stevdock
August 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
You can't post this reporting to camp stuff either. If everyone's gonna get on App's case, then I'm gonna get on yours too. I'm kidding and it's all in good fun. I wish we could have played you guys again this year, last year was a blast.

katstrapper
August 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
4) Can the receivers hold on to the ball this season?

Receivers to keep an eye on......

WR Jason Madkins 6-5,223 (Navarro JC transfer)

TE Johnathon Clark 6-4,245 (Glendale CC transfer)

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
WR Jason Madkins 6-5,223 (Navarro JC transfer)

TE Johnathon Clark 6-4,245 (Glendale CC transfer)

What about

WR Arthur Zulu 6-8, 211 (Jacksonville College)

Would be nice if he could contribute somewhere for one of the Bearkat programs...guess we'll have to wait and see how that project develops. May be better served on the football field than the hardwood... xnodx

patssle
August 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
What does Zulu have to do with football? He's not on the roster.

blackfordpu
August 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
What about

WR Arthur Zulu 6-8, 211 (Jacksonville College)

Would be nice if he could contribute somewhere for one of the Bearkat programs...guess we'll have to wait and see how that project develops. May be better served on the football field than the hardwood... xnodx

Who is that TT?

blackfordpu
August 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
You can't post this reporting to camp stuff either. If everyone's gonna get on App's case, then I'm gonna get on yours too. I'm kidding and it's all in good fun. I wish we could have played you guys again this year, last year was a blast.

We'll see you again in 2009 xnodx

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
What does Zulu have to do with football? He's not on the roster.

He's a basketball player -- was trying to be funny regarding this Bearkat project, hoping we could use him somewhere. We'll see if he turns out like Eddy Fobbs or more like Jonathan Woods...

The height would be good on the football field though...xnodx

Scooter
August 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I hope Bomar is back to 100% because he's definitely on of the best in the FCS when healthy.

katstrapper
August 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I hope Bomar is back to 100% because he's definitely on of the best in the FCS when healthy.

We will find out soon enough, but all reports are that he is ready to do and has been participating in 7 on 7 drills most of the summer.

http://www.katfans.com/photos/2007-bomar.jpg

blackfordpu
August 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
We will find out soon enough, but all reports are that he is ready to do and has been participating in 7 on 7 drills most of the summer.

Strapper, I hope that is correct. He needs to go full speed on the knee, cuts and all, now so he knows what to expect from it during the season. We don't need him to start out timid.

gokats85
August 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Strapper, I hope that is correct. He needs to go full speed on the knee, cuts and all, now so he knows what to expect from it during the season. We don't need him to start out timid.

I'm sure Bomar is going to give it all he's got. It's now or never!

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Back to business for the Kats...

There was a buzz in the air as the Sam Houston State football team filed in the Ron Mafrige Fieldhouse for their first team meeting signaling the start of fall camp. Football season is back.

The Kats are looking to continue what they started in the second half of the season last year. After a rocky start, they turned things around to win their final five games, which left many of the Kats hungry for more and optimistic for the 2008 season.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_217001832.html?keyword=topstory

BEAR
August 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM
The Kats should be optimistic. Even if they aren't surrounded by amazing talent, which I personally think they have some, then team chemistry goes a long way in winning football games. xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
August 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Back to business for the Kats...

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_217001832.html?keyword=topstory

Man, I am getting reved up for the season. I can not wait for it to start!

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Man, I am getting reved up for the season. I can not wait for it to start!

I'm upset that I will not attend a single Bearkat game in person as it stands now. Hoping that I will get to see SHSU vs SLU next year. We'll keep our fingers crossed...still should be able to take in eight or nine via the internet.

blackfordpu
August 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm upset that I will not attend a single Bearkat game in person as it stands now. Hoping that I will get to see SHSU vs SLU next year. We'll keep our fingers crossed...still should be able to take in eight or nine via the internet.

Not one?

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Not one?

That's the work schedule speaking up. Weekends are a busy time for me. It's the life I live nowadays...which I don't mind. xthumbsupx