PDA

View Full Version : Computer Ranking - App St, Coastal & Everybody Else

ChantDad
October 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Massey's computer ranking - one of the computer polls used by the BCS produced by a fellow Va Tech graduate (so it must be right!) - should make App St and Coastal fans happy.

http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=IAA&mid=6

No. 1 - App St
No. 6 - Coastal Carolina

This ranking places a major emphasis on result versus strength of schedule and gives AppSt the number one strength of schedule. And I'm not going to argue with the #6 ranking for Coastal. Are we really the 6th best team in the nation - of course not. But unlike the screwed up BCS (where Va Tech will probably will be screwed if they run the table), this will be settled on the field.

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Nice to see Colgate figures into 30% of his "Least Likely Results" table! Losing to CCSU, Dartmouth and beating UMass just wasn't supposed to happen I guess.

youwouldno
October 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Nice to see the SoCon at the top, and by a lot-- the gap between the SoCon and #2 A-10 is the same as between the A-10 and the PL!!! Not that these ratings are gospel, but nice to see all the same, even with GSU down.

Of course, being good at the top of conference tends to carry down statistically. 7 of 8 SoCon teams in the top 25 of his BCS-like method (though of course not his personal rankings).

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Don't make me read this stuff. :confused:
What is the difference between the rankings on the left and the usual Massey Ranking on the right and which one is used in the GPI.

and where is B&G Express? we can extend our Sagarin debate to Massey. It should be even more fun since there are two rankings to diss. :rolleyes:

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
The ones on the left are from his BCS ranking system (heavy on W/L and no MOV) and the usual one (used in the GPI) incorporates MOV. MOV systems are generally considered more accurate but the NCAA declared that a no-no for the BCS systems.

Thanks Ralph. :cool: You make it much simpler than me having to research this stuff :D

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
In talks with the NCAA this summer about using the GPI "officially" as another source for committee members (officially they are only supposed to use their private rankings) they mentioned that they wanted only systems that ranked all I-AA opponents (bye Sagarin) and none that used MOV. In anticipation of that all the systems that the GPI uses prepared a compliant version. When the committee couldn't decide we went with the current blend of MOV and non-MOV systems. That's why Massey uses his "usual" version on his comparison page.

Why not MOV? I realize, while I bashed it somewhat on another thread, the Massey right side ratings do look better than the left side Massey ratings?

For you lay people out there I apologize for the highly technical language used in the post. :D

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Why not MOV? I realize, while I bashed it somewhat on another thread, the Massey right side ratings do look better than the left side Massey ratings?

For you lay people out there I apologize for the highly technical language used in the post. :D

I would tend to agree, if you look at those ratings on the right, which include MOV, Cal Poly is #1, App is #8, and Coastal is #22. This seems pretty accurate to me.

chattanoogamocs
October 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
not that I don't LOVE my alma mater, but the left has Chattanooga 13 and right is in the 40's...I might not like it, but 40's is more realistic (somewhere in between would be perfect). :o

JMU Duke Dog
October 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Massey's computer ranking - one of the computer polls used by the BCS produced by a fellow Va Tech graduate (so it must be right!)...

:nono: I would not trust any Hokie.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Go look at the big picture of this so called rankings.

#73 Grand Valley State DII team ranked higher than #80 App ST. :eek:

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Go look at the big picture of this so called rankings.

#73 Grand Valley State DII team ranked higher than #80 App ST. :eek:

GVSU has won like 2 out of the last 3 NC's and rarely loses. Traditional powerhouse.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
In a perfect world (just for *****$ and giggles):

According to Massey ratings, and if 8 teams were seeded, the first round of the playoffs as of today would look like this:

#1 Cal Poly hosts #16 William & Mary
#2 NHU hosts #15 Mc Neese St
#3 Texas St. hosts #14 Illinois St.
#4 Eastern Washington hosts #13 Youngstown St.
#5 North Dakota St. hosts #12 James Madison (Go Dukes! :D )
#6 Portland St. hosts #11 Montana St.
#7 Montana hosts #10 Western kentucky
#8 App. St. hosts #9 UMass

Notables left out (in ranking order):
#17 N. Iowa
#18 UC Davis
#19 Furman (at 6-1!!?? :confused: )
#20 Penn (see, the Ivy doesn't belong in the playoffs! :rolleyes: )
#21 Hampton (Arrrrrhhgg! Some angry pirates)
#22 Coastal Carolina (DOH!)

That being said, imagine those matchups - some good gems I think in that crowd! This leaves me liking the Massey ratings... for today... ;)

aceinthehole
October 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Nice to see Colgate figures into 30% of his "Least Likely Results" table! Losing to CCSU, Dartmouth and beating UMass just wasn't supposed to happen I guess.

Well CCSU has the top 2 least likey games - the W @ Colgate and a L @ SFPA. What a year.

ASU Kep
October 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Not the Massey rankings, but check this out. My buddies at Ole Miss found it pretty amusing:

Appalachian State University football is the nation’s top-rated I-AA team in the latest Jeff Sagarin NCAA football ratings, as Appalachian comes in at No. 73 in Sagarin’s rankings of all 239 Division I teams.

In addition to being the top-rated team in I-AA, Appalachian is ranked higher than several high-profile I-A programs, including Ole Miss (No. 75), Arkansas (77), Mississippi State (78), Utah (80), Marshall (82), East Carolina (87), Illinois (92), Kentucky (102), Hawaii (104), Washington (107), Syracuse (112), Arizona (122) and Duke (138).

Sagarin has been providing power ratings and player ratings to USA Today since 1985. A mathematics graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with an MBA from Indiana University in 1983, Sagarin has applied his unique ranking system to college football, college basketball, Major League Baseball, pro football, pro basketball, pro hockey, volleyball, NASCAR, soccer and several other sports.

Sagarin’s college basketball rankings have proven their value to the NCAA tournament selection committee, as he has supplied the committee -- at its request -- with his latest rankings at the beginning of the tournament selection process and with regular updates until the selections have been finalized since 1984. In addition, beginning in the fall of 1998, Jeff’s college football ratings became an official part of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) team selection process.

Appalachian (4-2, 2-1 SoCon), which is ranked No. 16 in this week’s national I-AA poll by The Sports Network, travels to Spartanburg, S.C. this Saturday for a Southern Conference first-place showdown with Wofford (4-2, 2-1 SoCon). Kickoff is set for noon and can be seen live across the region on Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS).

AppGuy04
October 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM
Not the Massey rankings, but check this out. My buddies at Ole Miss found it pretty amusing:

Appalachian State University football is the nation’s top-rated I-AA team in the latest Jeff Sagarin NCAA football ratings, as Appalachian comes in at No. 73 in Sagarin’s rankings of all 239 Division I teams.

In addition to being the top-rated team in I-AA, Appalachian is ranked higher than several high-profile I-A programs, including Ole Miss (No. 75), Arkansas (77), Mississippi State (78), Utah (80), Marshall (82), East Carolina (87), Illinois (92), Kentucky (102), Hawaii (104), Washington (107), Syracuse (112), Arizona (122) and Duke (138).

Sagarin has been providing power ratings and player ratings to USA Today since 1985. A mathematics graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with an MBA from Indiana University in 1983, Sagarin has applied his unique ranking system to college football, college basketball, Major League Baseball, pro football, pro basketball, pro hockey, volleyball, NASCAR, soccer and several other sports.

Sagarin’s college basketball rankings have proven their value to the NCAA tournament selection committee, as he has supplied the committee -- at its request -- with his latest rankings at the beginning of the tournament selection process and with regular updates until the selections have been finalized since 1984. In addition, beginning in the fall of 1998, Jeff’s college football ratings became an official part of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) team selection process.

Appalachian (4-2, 2-1 SoCon), which is ranked No. 16 in this week’s national I-AA poll by The Sports Network, travels to Spartanburg, S.C. this Saturday for a Southern Conference first-place showdown with Wofford (4-2, 2-1 SoCon). Kickoff is set for noon and can be seen live across the region on Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS).

yeah, we have seen that before, alot of guys on here, including myself don't really like sagarin b/c he doesn't include all I-AA teams in his rankings. makes it a little sketch