PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion completes schedule for '09

Monarch History
July 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Old Dominion completed its schedule for '09 when we begin football. We are scheduled to play 7 home games and 4 away games. The schedule includes home games against Chowan, Virginia Union, Monmouth, NC Central, Presbyterian, Campbell and Georgetown. Away games include Jacksonville, Iona, VMI and Savannah State.

Not a bad schedule for our first season. xthumbsupx

http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/073108aab.html

aust42
July 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
10,572 season tickets sold so far is an amazing feat for a brand new program. That's on par with my fellow Bluehen season ticket fans. Wow.

TheBisonator
July 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM
10,572 season tickets sold so far is an amazing feat for a brand new program. That's on par with my fellow Bluehen season ticket fans. Wow.

Holy God Damn... NDSU isn't even able to crest 9,000 season tickets yet and you guys still have a year to go before you play a game!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Not a bad breakdown...

Division II - 2
Non-Scholarship Division I - 3
Partial Scholarship Division I - 1
Full Scholarship/Equivalents FCS - 5

DaBigBlue
July 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Its nice seeing the schedule taking shape and the community getting behind this thing. One of the schools biggest fears is tickets (not enough). From what I understand only about 30% of the Big Blue Club members have order their tickets, knowing they're getting their's...its going to get crazy.

slostang
July 31st, 2008, 08:00 PM
2009 Old Dominion University Football Schedule

Sept. 5 - Chowan

Sept. 12 - Virginia Union

Sept. 19 - at Jacksonville

Sept. 26 - Monmouth

Oct. 3 - NC Central

Oct. 10 - Presbyterian

Oct. 17 - Campbell

Oct. 24 - at Savannah State

Oct. 31 - Georgetown

Nov. 7 - OPEN

Nov. 14 - at Iona

Nov. 21 - at VMI

Seawolf97
July 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Looks good !xthumbsupx

JMU2004
July 31st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Its nice seeing the schedule taking shape and the community getting behind this thing. One of the schools biggest fears is tickets (not enough). From what I understand only about 30% of the Big Blue Club members have order their tickets, knowing they're getting their's...its going to get crazy.

I have a hard time believing that....shoot, if thats true, you could get 20,000 season tickets if even 60% of the Big Blue club bought tix. No way

DaBigBlue
July 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have a hard time believing that....shoot, if thats true, you could get 20,000 season tickets if even 60% of the Big Blue club bought tix. No way

Please give them a call, ask for the head guy Mark Benson, 757-683-6963. I just talked to him 3 weeks ago, while upping my donation. I was told the cut off will be around 13,000 to 14,000 for season tics. That gives the students 5K-6K and visitors/walkup 1K = 20K.

Heck the company that built the Ted and doing most of the improvements for football and construction around the campus tried to get a skybox and couldn't...soldout.

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
There's a Lamar fan, who I tend to think is pretty right on, but this time -- he says that ODU has a "boring schedule". Seems to me that this is a pretty aggressive first year schedule with nine games against Division I competition and they were lucky that they got seven at home -- that's impressive in itself.

Lamar fan is in for a shock when they don't get as many Division I games and they open with two of three on the road. That won't sit pretty with them.

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=40976.0

UDBlueLotFan
July 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sweet!,...welcome aboard. xthumbsupx

Sly Fox
July 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I see they must've relented on their demands for nothing but home games the first couple of years. They actually are travelling to Savannah State. Seriously.

I know many schools tried to get home-and-homes with them and they apparently just laughed.

DaBigBlue
July 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
I just glad to get the schedule laid out. As other start-ups will find, building a schedule for a team of only two recruiting classes and a bunch of walkons...who have never even taken a snap in a gameday situation is daunting. Add to that, most teams after the third week into the season are playing their conference schedule and nobody has bye weeks anymore. I think it's a tough job and wish them the best of luck.

But boring it's not, remember most of these teams are east coast. I have a bunch of friends who went to VMI, Chowan, & Georgetown.

henfan
August 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
That's a challenging schedule for a first year program. The competition will undoubtedly heat up considerably beginning in Year 3.xthumbsupx

DTSpider
August 1st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Great schedule for ODU in its first year. It'll be tough, and probably with more L's than W's, but it certainly should have competitive games.

appfan2008
August 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
that is a very respectable schedule for a brand new program

Dukie95
August 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
Do you know if you're returning the Georgetown game in '10?

I'd love to check out a (future) CAA team in my own backyard!

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2008, 08:54 AM
Do you know if you're returning the Georgetown game in '10?

It's a four year series--two home, two away.

Monarch History
August 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Here's a nice article from todays Daily Press sports page.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_odu_0801aug01,0,922019.story

89Hen
August 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Pretty good job, but I have to say I am surprised there's not a single CAA team on the slate. More notably missing is CNU, I thought for sure they'd be on there first year. But seven home games is incredible. xthumbsupx

Now I need to go back and find my post predicting their first year slate. I think I botched it (had 2-3 CAA's).

89Hen
August 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=292946&postcount=16

If I were putting ODU's schedule together I'd shoot for...

Christopher Newport
Virginia State (or Union)
Mars Hill
Liberty
VMI
Gardner-Webb
Davidson
Norfolk State
William & Mary
Richmond
James Madison

Even though they'd struggle with some of those, especially the CAA games, baptism through fire seemed to work for Coastal.
Well, at least I got 2 of 11. :o

danefan
August 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM

I think it came down to the home game issue. Selling that many season tickets means you have to get a ton of home games to appease your fans in transition.

They probably just couldn't get home games.

89Hen
August 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM
I think it came down to the home game issue. Selling that many season tickets means you have to get a ton of home games to appease your fans in transition.

They probably just couldn't get home games.
Brings up an interesting point. How many of these are home and home? Could there be only 5 home games in 2009? IIRC the big renovations to Foreman Field aren't going to be complete until 2009. If that's the case, I would have taken more road games this year and more home in '09.

Monarch History
August 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
Brings up an interesting point. How many of these are home and home? Could there be only 5 home games in 2009? IIRC the big renovations to Foreman Field aren't going to be complete until 2009. If that's the case, I would have taken more road games this year and more home in '09.

This schedule is for 2009! This year is just a redshirt/scrimmage year and then 7 home games in 2009.

89Hen
August 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
This schedule is for 2009! This year is just a redshirt/scrimmage year and then 7 home games in 2009.
xoopsx Read 89 read. :o

G.S.Green
August 6th, 2008, 07:49 AM
How about Hampton which is a scant 10 miles away taking that Open slot?

Too many games against light competition in the early days to ensure a winning season. Where is the competitive spirit?

G.S.Green

bjtheflamesfan
August 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Id love to see ODU and Liberty work something out for 2010. I said in another discussion that ODU would make a pretty good rival in football (heck the two have gotten together in other sports)

th0m
August 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Crikey, that would be a brutal first year of scheduling.

89Hen
August 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Crikey, that would be a brutal first year of scheduling.
Yeah, but they're going to have to face them soon enough. FWIW, in Coastal's first year they had a full Big South slate and Southeastern Louisiana's first year featured McNeese, NWSt, Texas State and Troy. xpeacex

Monarch History
August 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, but they're going to have to face them soon enough. FWIW, in Coastal's first year they had a full Big South slate and Southeastern Louisiana's first year featured McNeese, NWSt, Texas State and Troy. xpeacex

Here's a blog from Virginian-Pilot sports writer, Rich Radford, regarding what many consider a soft schedule the first year.xthumbsupx

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/08/and-you-were-expecting-michigan

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Here's a blog from Virginian-Pilot sports writer, Rich Radford, regarding what many consider a soft schedule the first year.xthumbsupx
I don't really have a problem with it, but it HAS been done. I think he is overstating it by quite a bit. BTW...

And the smartest thing he did was encourage his athletic department to get the William and Mary game off that first year's schedule.

So I'm taking credit for that one and up my predition results to 3 correct. :p

UAalum72
August 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
But those 18-year-old freshmen will STILL be up against 23-year-old seniors who've been on weight-training programs for five years, so I'm not sure of his point there. A lower talent level, maybe less speed, for a more competitive game? sure. And I'd think most of ODU's starters will have red-shirted anyway, so they won't be "18" any more.

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I hate to keep going back to Coastal, but they are the most recent comp and while I can't find their whole roster from 2003, I did find...

Sophomore linebacker Maurice Simpkins (Leesburg, S.C-Batesburg-Leesville) and freshman punt returner Greg Williamson (Dillon, S.C.-Dillon) were named to the first team, while freshman running back Aundres Perkins (Effingham, S.C.-West Florence), offensive linemen sophomore Antwon Trice (Jacksonville, Fla.-Sandalwood) and junior Nick Johnson (Loganville, Ga.-Loganville), junior defensive lineman Rayshun Crosby (Gastonia, N.C.-Forestview (Reedley (CA) CC)) freshman defensive lineman Adrain Grady (Leland, N.C.-North Brunswick) and Williamson, as a defensive back, earned second team honors
So it's not all 18 yo's