i have to wonder how much one player can change a team

McNeese75
July 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM

xrolleyesx

That is somewhat humorous coming from an ASU and AE Fan xpeacex

UNI Pike
July 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Question is how good is the JSU defensive. Otherwise it could turn into a version of the 2000 Rams - team with the ball last wins.

LBPop
July 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM

If any one player can change a team dramatically in any sport, I think QB has the best chance. A baseball pitcher has more impact in a given game, but they only play once in five games.

Gamecocks99
July 31st, 2008, 01:28 PM

He is just a big slice of the pie. But he has been and will continue to be a big jump start to pulling in more Transfers and Recruits.

Gamecocks99
July 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Question is how good is the JSU defensive. Otherwise it could turn into a version of the 2000 Rams - team with the ball last wins.

JSU has picked up 5 or 6 FBS Transfers this year on Defense and should be a lot stronger.

citdog
July 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
law enforcement?

appfan2008
July 31st, 2008, 01:41 PM
xrolleyesx

we were damn good long before AE came around... we won a NC with AE still in high school xnodx

McNeese75
July 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
we were damn good long before AE came around... we won a NC with AE still in high school xnodx

And without him you would still have 1 xnodx

JaxSinfonian
August 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM

I'm with you, to a point. I am not, unlike many people I have seen, expecting Perilloux to mow through every defense he faces, leading the Gamecocks repeatedly into the end zone, and from there deep into the playoffs.

But there is no doubt this year's offense will be remarkably different than it would have been if he hadn't shown up. Until RP arrived, we had ZERO quarterbacks on campus and were expecting to start one of two incoming freshmen. Add to that last year's apparent collapse of our running game, and a lot of Jax State fans were steeling themselves for a difficult year. We will win games with Perrilloux that we would probably have lost without him.

As for our defense, we lost a few good names from last year's squad, which was by many measures the best in the OVC. The group we have coming back should be older and more experienced, though we will miss the departures. When our DC Greg Stewart is on his game, he coaches a very speedy, effective defense, but one that is susceptible to big plays and that plays soft late in the game. Gamecocks99, can you list, by name, the transfers who've come in?

MplsBison
August 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Take a look last year at West Virginia when Pat White played and when he got hurt.

Yes a QB can make the difference.

CSUBUCDAD
August 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Don't wish it on anyone but it will be interesting to see how fast the bubble bursts if he goes down with a season ending injury on the first series of the year. If he stays healthy, he could be the FCS player of the year but I never put all my faith in one player. Takes 21 others to pull it off.

appfan2008
August 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
And without him you would still have 1 xnodx

maybe... maybe not

trey elder is more than a formidable qb as well as coco hillary... i think we could have won at least one more over the last 2 years...

McNeese75
August 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM
maybe... maybe not

trey elder is more than a formidable qb as well as coco hillary... i think we could have won at least one more over the last 2 years...

I have heard all about Trey Elder and how great he was and yes he was a fine QB. Take a poll of non-ASU members on this forum and see how many think that would have been the case. I think you will find out the only people around here that think like that are Mountaineer fans.

DLS
August 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
xrolleyesx

if there was one player that can be credited to changing our program around that would richie williams all day long.

DLS
August 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
I have heard all about Trey Elder and how great he was and yes he was a fine QB. Take a poll of non-ASU members on this forum and see how many think that would have been the case. I think you will find out the only people around here that think like that are Mountaineer fans.

screw a poll just look at the numbers he put up in his limited play.

Gamecocks99
August 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm with you, to a point. I am not, unlike many people I have seen, expecting Perilloux to mow through every defense he faces, leading the Gamecocks repeatedly into the end zone, and from there deep into the playoffs.

But there is no doubt this year's offense will be remarkably different than it would have been if he hadn't shown up. Until RP arrived, we had ZERO quarterbacks on campus and were expecting to start one of two incoming freshmen. Add to that last year's apparent collapse of our running game, and a lot of Jax State fans were steeling themselves for a difficult year. We will win games with Perrilloux that we would probably have lost without him.

As for our defense, we lost a few good names from last year's squad, which was by many measures the best in the OVC. The group we have coming back should be older and more experienced, though we will miss the departures. When our DC Greg Stewart is on his game, he coaches a very speedy, effective defense, but one that is susceptible to big plays and that plays soft late in the game. Gamecocks99, can you list, by name, the transfers who've come in?

The Gamecocks picked up Perrilloux from LSU. But they can also count defensive back Tremayne Coger (Alabama), linebacker Isaiah Smith (Ole Miss), wide receiver John Houston Whiddon (Florida International) and nose guard Justin Kay (West Point) on the list. And they're just the D-I guys. The Gamecocks added some junior college transfers, too.

There have been rumors of some late-arriving transfers from Mississippi State and Duke, but JSU officials can't confirm any of that. It's against NCAA rules.

"What I'm saying is, if you care to keep up, you're going to see a lot of things happening and you're going to be going to the roster," Crowe said to the reporters who gathered for the team's media day. "You're going to see a lot of guys in playing positions that you're not going to have a background with."
The info from above came from The Anniston Star JSU Media Days NoteBook

JSU has picked up 7 or 8 strong Junior college Transfer players. Reggie Wade- played in the National JUCO ALLSTAR game on the Offensive Line. Jamison Wadley, transferred from Southern Miss on the Defensive Line. We also have a JUCO Transfer LB that originally signed with FSU.

Transfer LB from Ole Miss Isaiah Smith - 6'0" 234 / 4.6 40
He ranked #47 mlb in 07' class by scout. #99 mlb by espn insiders. can play outside and in. will help defense.

4 Star Recruit - DB / RB from Alabama Tremayne Coger. He was the backup to #2-Simeon Castille at DB. But Also Coger was a very productive running back in high school.

Coger was listed at DB at Alabama, but could also play WR or RB. His forte is speed but he seemed to be out of place at Alabama. High school forty time was listed as 4.4. He was recruited by Shula and never fit into Saban's schemes. He redshirted his first year and never sniffed the field last year. Will be a sophmore this year. Originally from Columbia, TN

Here is what the JSU Media Notebook said, about Coger.

After talking about it for most of the past few weeks, the JSU coaches have committed to starting camp with Coger in the secondary.

Coger was a highly regarded running back in high school, but played corner at Alabama.

"I wish we could split him in two, play him in both places," Crowe said, "but you don't win championships unless you play defense and we're gonna be making that emphasis, so we put him at corner. I think he's going to be an outstanding corner from what I've been able to evaluate off Alabama film."

Coach Crowe has done a lot of homework and this year will be a new beginning for the Gamecocks.

Retro
August 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Take a look last year at West Virginia when Pat White played and when he got hurt.

Yes a QB can make the difference.

JSU aint WVU!xrolleyesx

RP doesn't have near the supporting cast as most top tier FCS schools, so JSU will likely have a great shot to win the somewhat weaker OVC conference, but i compare them to Sam Houston State.. They have brought in some big name QB's in the past, but the lack of defense and other supporting cast limited there accomplishments.

elcid96
August 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM

Micheal Jordan and minor league baseball is a great example on how one player didn't change the team, but the attendance. This is what I believe is what perrilloux can do.

Gamecocks99
August 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
JSU aint WVU!xrolleyesx

RP doesn't have near the supporting cast as most top tier FCS schools, so JSU will likely have a great shot to win the somewhat weaker OVC conference, but i compare them to Sam Houston State.. They have brought in some big name QB's in the past, but the lack of defense and other supporting cast limited there accomplishments.

As the old saying goes Talk is cheap but it takes money to buy the firewater. This is a year of new beginnings for The Gamecocks and I believe that the supporting cast is already in place.

This is a Quote from Coach Crowe from Media Day yesterday at JSU.

"What I'm saying is, if you care to keep up, you're going to see a lot of things happening and you're going to be going to the roster," Crowe said to the reporters who gathered for the team's media day. "You're going to see a lot of guys in playing positions that you're not going to have a background with."

The Gamecocks picked up Perrilloux from LSU. But they can also count defensive back Tremayne Coger (Alabama), linebacker Isaiah Smith (Ole Miss), wide receiver John Houston Whiddon (Florida International) and nose guard Justin Kay (West Point) on the list. And they're just the D-I guys. The Gamecocks added some junior college transfers, too.

PLUS, There have been rumors of some late-arriving transfers from Mississippi State and Duke, but JSU officials can't confirm any of that. It's against NCAA rules.

PLUS, JSU has picked up 7 or 8 strong Junior college Transfer players. Reggie Wade- played in the National JUCO ALLSTAR game on the Offensive Line. Jamison Wadley, transferred from Southern Miss on the Defensive Line. We also have a JUCO Transfer LB that originally signed with FSU.

I promise the supporting cast is in place. They have been there all summer working on their own in the muggy heat.

UNI Pike
August 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
Is JSU turning into the Delaware of the South with the transfers?

There has to be a ton of pressure with the setup of the "win now" atmosphere - will the fans be satisfied with anything less than a conference title?

How would a first round playoff loss rate? Serious disappointment or just happy to be nominated?

ericsaid
August 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
xrolleyesx

Considering the only two games App lost last season were ones he startedxeyebrowx . The back-up Trey Elder(not many pople know this) three for close to 900 yards and ran for for more than 500 in 4 game starting.xcoffeex So AE is not Appalachian State. There is a ---- good football team to beat too.

ericsaid
August 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
JSU should change conferences will RP. If they did this their recruiting in general would be much improved.

ASU88
August 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM

And maybe the Delaware fans who were in Chatty last December.

So who do you think would have more knowledge of Elder's abilities, Mountaineer fans or "non-ASU members on this board?"

Cocky
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
JSU should change conferences will RP. If they did this their recruiting in general would be much improved.

We will be but it will be a FBS conference.

McNeese75
August 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
And maybe the Delaware fans who were in Chatty last December.

So who do you think would have more knowledge of Elder's abilities, Mountaineer fans or "non-ASU members on this board?"

Well, the ASU fans are just a tad biased don't ya think. xcoffeex

McNeese75
August 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Considering the only two games App lost last season were ones he startedxeyebrowx . The back-up Trey Elder(not many pople know this) three for close to 900 yards and ran for for more than 500 in 4 game starting.xcoffeex So AE is not Appalachian State. There is a ---- good football team to beat too.

So then it goes to reason that Trey Elder could have won the Michigan game last year I guess xeyebrowx xcoolx

ASU88
August 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well, the ASU fans are just a tad biased don't ya think. xcoffeex

Absolutely. App St fans would be more biased, but they would also have seen Elder play more and followed his progress more to be able to make judgements of his abilities.

One doesn't COMPLETELY cancel the other, it is simply a factor in the judgement (both ways).

McNeese75
August 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Absolutely. App St fans would be more biased, but they would also have seen Elder play more and followed his progress more to be able to make judgements of his abilities.

One doesn't COMPLETELY cancel the other, it is simply a factor in the judgement (both ways).

xlolx Yes it is a BIG factor and it skews judgement.