PDA

View Full Version : Lights are Up at UMass

Col Hogan
July 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Years in the making...Alumni Stadium finally has permanent lights...xhurrayx xhurrayx

The wiring is underway...and our first game of the season will be "under the lights" against Albany...

Check out the pictures...

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/view.gal?id=30096

bkrownd
July 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I was hoping I could visit Amherst and get to a game this year, but when I priced flights for October they were over $1300. :( Still trying to work something out...

KAUMASS
July 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I was hoping I could visit Amherst and get to a game this year, but when I priced flights for October they were over $1300. :( Still trying to work something out...

Aloha bkbrownd, that sounds like a tough problem to have..I'm out to Maui every few years and Hawaii is awesome. I tell everybody that they have to see Hawaii at least once. Before I had been to Hawaii, I had been to some carribean islands and said how much better could Hawaii be and plus the 12-13 hour flight with kids, who needs it. I do!! I can't wait to get back. I have plans to be out there in January, but that depends on my business and the economy. It's in the tank right now and I may or may not go this year. I usually take American from Hartford to Dallas and Dallas to Kahalui . It's usually $700 to $800 per person, but with gas I could see it being that high.
Good luck with the flight search.

Regards,

KA

Seawolf97
July 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Congratulations with your lights! Night games can be exciting. Stonybrook also plays night soccer and lacrosse-both men and women .

BeauFoster
July 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
What's going on with the dirt movement behind the stands? Any type of enhancement? (It may have been discussed in another thread that I missed)

bkrownd
July 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It's usually $700 to $800 per person, but with gas I could see it being that high.

Aloha Airlines went out of business earlier in the year, so the interisland connection capacity is down and prices are way up because of it.

My last slice of Antonio's was way back in '05.

minuteman65
July 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
About time!

bkrownd
July 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
My first slice of Antonio's was way back in '93. Mmmmm...spinach pie.... :D

minuteman65
July 30th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Man, my last was about a week and a half ago. Way too long.

Tealblood
July 31st, 2008, 07:00 AM
we have all of our home games scheduled for 7:00 this year like last.

I much prefer a saturday afternoon game though

I suppose the lights give you some flexibility on playoff or TV type games. I can't imagine the heat being that unbearable except the first few weeks of the season

andy7171
July 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
I like my games at 1pm. Though night games are nice at the beginning of the season because of the heat.

appfan2008
July 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM
congrats on the lights...

813Jag
July 31st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Looks good! xthumbsupx Might be a dumb question but what's the deal with the wall at the end of the stadium?

I love night games, especially in Baton Rouge on a fall night, never been a fan of day games.

Maroon&White
July 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Looks good! xthumbsupx Might be a dumb question but what's the deal with the wall at the end of the stadium?

I love night games, especially in Baton Rouge on a fall night, never been a fan of day games.

That's just how it was built back in the 60's. I don't think there is any actual purpose for it. Definitely looks better then looking at the parking lot behind both ends though.

89Hen
July 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats UMass fans. When UD put up permanent we went to selling out every game. Good move. xthumbsupx

mountain_man
July 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM
So, when's the running water going to get there...xlolx

Looks like a great place to play football. Very nice!xthumbsupx

bkrownd
July 31st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Night games are for September. The rest of the season should be 11AM. The walk across Amherst to McGuirk on an October morning is heavenly. :)

DrG
July 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
What's going on with the dirt movement behind the stands? Any type of enhancement? (It may have been discussed in another thread that I missed)

That's just the dirt that was excavated so they could install the light towers. This may be it for stadium improvements for a while, barring an unexpected move up.

The only real night game scheduled is the opener vs. Albany at 6, when the lights won't come until play until the second half. But it does give us the flexibility to schedule TV games at 3:30 later in the season.

aust42
July 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Aloha bkbrownd, that sounds like a tough problem to have..I'm out to Maui every few years and Hawaii is awesome. I tell everybody that they have to see Hawaii at least once. Before I had been to Hawaii, I had been to some carribean islands and said how much better could Hawaii be and plus the 12-13 hour flight with kids, who needs it. I do!! I can't wait to get back. I have plans to be out there in January, but that depends on my business and the economy. It's in the tank right now and I may or may not go this year. I usually take American from Hartford to Dallas and Dallas to Kahalui . It's usually $700 to $800 per person, but with gas I could see it being that high.
Good luck with the flight search.

Regards,

KA

I tell everyone the same thing. Before you die you must visit Hawaii. Kawaii is my favorite island by far. I think God lives there.

Grizaholic17
July 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Years in the making...Alumni Stadium finally has permanent lights...xhurrayx xhurrayx

The wiring is underway...and our first game of the season will be "under the lights" against Albany...

Check out the pictures...

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/view.gal?id=30096

They are looking good. One thing I'm always jealous of other schools for is lights. And they come in handy when trying to score ESPN time. Nice work.

813Jag
July 31st, 2008, 12:23 PM
That's just how it was built back in the 60's. I don't think there is any actual purpose for it. Definitely looks better then looking at the parking lot behind both ends though.
Thanks, I was just wondering, we have chain link fences that serve the same purpose.

Umass74
July 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Looks good! Might be a dumb question but what's the deal with the wall at the end of the stadium?

McGuirk was state-of-art 1950's technology. It was originally designed to be cheaply upgraded.

I remember seeing plans (and this was a long, long time ago, so don't hold it against me if the details are not right), that the field could be expanded simular to Edwards field at Marshall (http://herdzone.cstv.com/facilities/mars-edwards-stadium.html). McGuirk would have a brick field house where the south parking lot/current field house is located.

The stands equal to the hight of the current sideline stands would be built in the North parking lot, boxing in that section of the stadium and another deck would be added to the home side.

All this would have pushed McGuirk to about 35,000 seats. However, bleacher seats on the sidelines are now banned by fire laws and endzone bleachers void the field turf warranty .

I don't remember seeing a projected cost for the upgrade in 1950's dollars.

Kymermosst
July 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM
I HATE that stupid warranty...And right after they started letting students sit in the end zone, too. I love being down there, right on the field. It's gonna suck next year having to stay in the stands the entire time..

As for the lights, they look great. I keep hoping to catch them testing them out one night. It's only a month, but I'm excited.

bkrownd
July 31st, 2008, 01:44 PM
I tell everyone the same thing. Before you die you must visit Hawaii. Kawaii is my favorite island by far. I think God lives there.

Unfortunately almost everything tourists see here is alien and artificial, not the real Hawaii, and getting more paved and weed and vermin infested all the time. The ecological devastation is horrible. Hawaii has long held the dark distinction as the Extinction Captiol of the World, and the true Hawaii has so thoroughly vanished that few people here really know what it is. People are so invested in the myth of "tropical paradise" that they don't see the truth. Conservation is a new concept here, and despite earnest efforts Hawaii is still dying. Sadly, most tourists and locals alike are too busy pleasuring themselves to care. The next few decades are going to be a terrible struggle to try to save what's left, to nevertheless see more of our biota lost, and fighting politics, greed and local opposition to conservation efforts makes things doubly difficult.

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Night games are for September. The rest of the season should be 11AM. The walk across Amherst to McGuirk on an October morning is heavenly. :)

That is so true...I truely miss the Pioneer Valley in the fall...xnodx

bkrownd
July 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Where ever I am, a little part of my mind is always daydreaming of October in Hampshire County. :D

Hope it doesn't change too much more. It seemed to reach perfection around 1997 or so. It's a bummer to go back and see more old favorite places change or disappear. :(

umassfan
August 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Where ever I am, a little part of my mind is always daydreaming of October in Hampshire County. :D

Hope it doesn't change too much more. It seemed to reach perfection around 1997 or so. It's a bummer to go back and see more old favorite places change or disappear. :(

Now you know why I go back east for two cames in OCT every year. I just got a plane ticket yesterday for 218 round trip flying into Albany. Ill be back for Band Day and Homecoming.

Dane96
August 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
McGuirk was state-of-art 1950's technology. It was originally designed to be cheaply upgraded.

I remember seeing plans (and this was a long, long time ago, so don't hold it against me if the details are not right), that the field could be expanded simular to Edwards field at Marshall (http://herdzone.cstv.com/facilities/mars-edwards-stadium.html). McGuirk would have a brick field house where the south parking lot/current field house is located.

The stands equal to the hight of the current sideline stands would be built in the North parking lot, boxing in that section of the stadium and another deck would be added to the home side.

All this would have pushed McGuirk to about 35,000 seats. However, bleacher seats on the sidelines are now banned by fire laws and endzone bleachers void the field turf warranty .

I don't remember seeing a projected cost for the upgrade in 1950's dollars.

Bleacher seats are banned by fire code? Is that for your county only?

Umass74
August 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Bleacher seats are banned by fire code? Is that for your county only?

Not as a blanket rule. Amherst College has bleachers for their field.

In the old days, McGuirk had bleachers below the main concourse between the stairways. I think the Amherst Fire Dept felt they obstructed movement in and out of the stadium.

Henny
August 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
The Lord Jeffs? Bleachers? For god sake man!

The lights look great. Great sight lines at McGuirk. Good possibility I will make the trip this year.