PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Game of the week: #3 Cal Poly @ #9 Montana

slostang
October 19th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I think this will be a great game. Montana is one of the toughest place in I-AA to win. The Griz are coming off a tough loss to a very talented Eastern Washington team and are looking to take out their frustration over that game on the Mustangs. Montana has not loss back to back home games in forever and the Mustangs are 0-9 against the Griz. I think this is Poly's best team since moving up to I-AA and could be the year that they pick up their first win against the Griz.

IMO I think the key (when the Griz have the ball) for the Griz to win this game is if they are able to establish the run with Lex Hilliard. If they do, that will take the pressure off Rfr QB Cole Bergquist. Poly defense has already racked up 29 sacks in their first six game and are led by DE Chris Gocong with 11.5 sacks. If Bergquist is in third and long a lot I think the Mustang will make it a long day for him and the Griz.

I think the key (when Poly has the ball) for the Mustangs to win this game is to establish the passing game. Cal Poly is a run heavy (only average 16 passes a game) option team that is efficient in the passing game. The Griz D only allows 85 yard rushing per game and 250 yards passing a game. If Poly is not able to move the ball through the air the Griz will stack the box and make it hard for the Mustangs to run.

I predict a tight low scoring game. Cal Poly 21 Montana 17 but that mignt be my heart talking.

What does the I-AA world think?

JMU Duke Dog
October 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM
The winner of this game especially if it Cal Poly will definitely have the better chance of picking up the I-AA west seed for the playoffs for having all home games.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Poly is very good. Gocong is the only guy that can give Flenory and C. Graham from UNH a battle for Buchanon (save your arguments i'm biased). 11.5 sacks is rediculous. I really think they could've done serious damage in last years playoff w/ both Gocong and Jordan Beck on the same D. I got Poly beating Montana 17-7.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM
One of the better games all year...

Montana 24,
Cal Poly 23

Uncle Buck
October 20th, 2005, 06:48 AM
I gotta believe that the griz nation will come out this week like a cornered animal and scratch out a win. Tough to win in Montana, the Griz losing two in a row at home, and 1AA football being nuts this season, I feel like Montana pulls this one out for an emotional W. Cal Poly is good, real good, but they won't get off the schnied against the Griz this week. Montana 28 Cal Poly 24

mlbowl
October 20th, 2005, 07:02 AM
any Direct TV coverage?

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 07:21 AM
This one should be on TV for all to see. I don't see Montana losing twice in a row at home.

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Cal Poly 17 Montana 10.

Poly will win the turnover battle. Montana's offense does not appear good enough to win these tough matchups.

LacesOut
October 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I would love to see this one. Never have seen Cal Poly play before. Heck, never even heard of them before late last season.

Montana, blah, I know all too well. lol

slostang
October 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM
It is televised in Montana and locally in San Luis Obispo area. You can catch a webcast and audio on Montana's web site and audio on Cal Poly's web site gopoly.com.

I really wish Montana would have won last week against Eastern Washington for two reasons. First Cal Poly now faces an angery and cornered Griz that is looking for blood. Secondly it would have been #1 vs #3 game and would look that much more impressive if Cal Poly can pull off a win against the Griz.

DaGriz
October 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I don't see Montana losing twice in a row at home.

It's never happened in the regular season.

I like our chances better in this game than against EWU because we match up better. Our strength is stopping the run. Containing Gocong and keeping him away from our young QB is going to be key as well as having early success with Lex. I think we win 17-14 in a defensive battle.

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I will be lazy and not look it up. What time is the game?

DaGriz
October 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
What time is the game?

12:00 pacific/3:00 eastern

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
12:00 pacific/3:00 eastern

Thanks, guess I will miss this one too. :(

ISUMatt
October 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I sawe a line that said...

Cal-Poly -2 @ Montana...

Montana a home dog...UNREAL!!!

slostang
October 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Packing the bags now. Looked at the weather forecast for Missoula on Saturday, High of 63 (Game is at 1:00 PM) with 0% chance of rain. Sounds like California weather. I booked my tickets for this game before the season started and I thought I would probably be packing artic gear for a late October game in Montana. Now all the Mustangs have to worry about is a fired up Griz team and a hostile crowd at Wash./Griz stadium.

TxSt02
October 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I take Montana by 7...

CKelly
October 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM
http://greatwestfootball.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102005aaa.html

putter
October 20th, 2005, 03:26 PM
That is a great article which has nothing but valid points. It can go either way as this game should live up to a battle of the titans.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
With my limited knowledge of the West, tell me who has more to win / lose in this game.

Of course, I would think at first glance Montana has more to lose. Would a loss put them on the brink of playoff elimination?

Or if Cal Poly cannot get 'r done, do the Stangs feel the hurt more due to conference affliation issues, schedule, etc.?

Or do both come out looking good regardless of the result (they are both top 10 teams... for now)?

I know one thing, if CalPoly does put out a win in Montana, that's gotta be a definite playoff team!

PDXCat
October 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Cal Poly by 14+

slostang
October 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM
With my limited knowledge of the West, tell me who has more to win / lose in this game.

Of course, I would think at first glance Montana has more to lose. Would a loss put them on the brink of playoff elimination?

Or if Cal Poly cannot get 'r done, do the Stangs feel the hurt more due to conference affliation issues, schedule, etc.?

Or do both come out looking good regardless of the result (they are both top 10 teams... for now)?

I know one thing, if CalPoly does put out a win in Montana, that's gotta be a definite playoff team!

I think Poly has more to lose. Montana can still win the Big Sky's auto bid and have a long history of playoff sucess and they put 23,000+ butts in their stadium during the playoffs. Cal Poly plays in the two year old Great West Football Conference that does not have an auto bid and Cal Poly has yet to make the playoffs even when it is deserved (last years GWFC champions with a 9-2 record and #15 ranking were passed over).

A win at Montana would add a whole lot of credability to Cal Poly. I think Poly can still make the playoffs with a loss, but they found out last year that it is better to leave no doubt.

AZGrizFan
October 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I think Poly has more to lose. Montana can still win the Big Sky's auto bid and have a long history of playoff sucess and they put 23,000+ butts in their stadium during the playoffs. Cal Poly plays in the two year old Great West Football Conference that does not have an auto bid and Cal Poly has yet to make the playoffs even when it is deserved (last years GWFC champions with a 9-2 record and #15 ranking were passed over).

A win at Montana would add a whole lot of credability to Cal Poly. I think Poly can still make the playoffs with a loss, but they found out last year that it is better to leave no doubt.

I couldn't agree more. While it would suck to see Montana lose two in a row at home, CP definitely has more to lose. MT could still win the BSC title, since this isn't a conference game for them. Unfortunately, however, it would give them 3 losses, and one more would (IMHO) eliminate them from playoff contention. It may be a moot point, as I don't see EWU losing again this year... :mad: :mad:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Any way you both can find a way to lose over the next few weeks and give us in the A-10 more dabate fodder for 4 teams in the playoffs???

:D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, I would be surprised not to see both programs in the playoffs, and the A-10 will likely get three. Who would have thought Hampton vs. South Carolina St. would have so many playoff implications! :eek:

ngineer
October 21st, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'm going with the Griz primarily because I find it difficult to believe they will allow back to back losses at home. I see this very close. UM has had offensive problems so a low scoring game should be in the offing. Griz by 20-17.