PDA

View Full Version : A10... the contenders

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Right now there are six teams with only one conference loss... three in the North (UNH, HU & UMass) and two in the South (JMU, UR & W&M)... Three of those six will likely make the playoffs... the remaining schedules for those teams...

North...

UMass 5-1 (4-0).... @ Maine, UNH, @ Delaware, @ Army, @ Hofstra

UNH 5-1 (3-1).... N'eastern, @ UMass, @ Hofstra, Iona, Maine

Hofstra 4-2 (2-1).... @ Richmond, @ URI, UNH, @ N'eastern, UMass

South...

W&M 4-2 (2-1).... Towson, @ Villanova, JMU, Delaware, @ Richmond

JMU 4-2 (2-1).... @ Delaware, Richmond, @ W&M, Villanova, Towson

Richmond 3-3 (3-1) .... Hofstra, @ JMU, VMI, @ Towson, W&M

any opinions as to who the A10 playoff schools will be...???

SunCoastBlueHen
October 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
UMass, UNH and the winner of JMU/W&M.

LacesOut
October 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I have no idea. lol

Still too early, IMO.

We could surmise to as whom the favorites are: UNH, JMU, UMass and W&M. But I don't know if four teams get in this year.

Maroon&White
October 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Right now there are six teams with only one conference loss... three in the North (UNH, HU & UMass) and two in the South (JMU, UR & W&M)...

Two teams in the North (UNH and HU) and three in the south (UR, JMU, W&M). UMass hasn't lost a conference game.

Umass74
October 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
North toughest schedule:

1. UMass. @Maine, @Army, @Delware and @ Hofstra and home to high powered UNH is not a easy row. I understand Maine and the Hens are down this year, but plenty of challenges. I think UMass has a shot at Army, but if we loose there, we have to go undefeated against the rest of the slate to be guaranteed a playoff spot...

2. Hofstra. They get @ Richmond and UNH and UMass at home. Richmond is hot and the Pride can only afford one more loss

3. UNH. The Wildcats should outclass Northeastern, Iona and Maine. Need only to to 1-1 against Hofstra and UMass to be a lock for the playoffs. UNH looks like the A10 auto bid.

South:

All the three teams play each other so the schedules are roughly equal. Whoever goes 3-0 or 2-1 against the other three teams should win the division and a playoff spot.

How UMass does against its last five games should detemine who gets the last playoff spot.

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I have to agree with SunCoastBH, UMass may not have the O but it appears they can play D. UNH is solid again and the JMU/W&M game will be a deciding factor. I think UMass and UNH have the easiest schedules left while HU and Richmond still are big question marks and JMU/W&M is a toss up.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
The way things have gone this year, it won't surprise me if Hofstra and UR stay in the mix till the end. UMass will eventually face a high powered offense on a dry field, and the rest have more than one game they could lose.

OK, UMassFan, have at it! :D

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
UMass74, funny how I thought you and UNH had the easiest road ahead. I projected even with a loss to UNH you guys have a great shot at running the table. Even Army, defensively it seems like you guys are playing at the top of your game and a W is well within reach.

Umass74
October 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Gee, Uncle Buck, we're actually having a football conversation. That's fairly rare here.

The UMass defense is for real. But in the last two games we lost our leading WR for the year and our starting QB is questionable for Maine with a concussion.

We rarely win at Delaware and Army is still a I-A team. If we had not lost at Colgate, this would be a lot better group of games.

I still think Richmond is the king maker in the south. And the head-to-head with JMU and the Hens.

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM
any opinions as to who the A10 playoff schools will be...???
If I had to guess....
UMass 5-1 (4-0).... @ Maine, UNH, @ Delaware, @ Army, @ Hofstra
UNH 5-1 (3-1).... N'eastern, @ UMass, @ Hofstra, Iona, Maine
W&M 4-2 (2-1).... Towson, @ Villanova, JMU, Delaware, @ Richmond

HenHouse1
October 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
UMass 9-2.... W-@ Maine, L-UNH, W-@ Delaware, W-@ Army, W-@ Hofstra

UNH 10-1.... W-N'eastern, W-@ UMass, W-@ Hofstra, W-Iona, W-Maine

Hofstra 7-4.... W-@ Richmond, W-@ URI, L-UNH, W-@ N'eastern, L-UMass

W&M 8-3.... W-Towson, W-@ Villanova, L-JMU, W-Delaware, W-@ Richmond

JMU 9-2.... W-@ Delaware, W-Richmond, W-@ W&M, W-Villanova, W-Towson

Richmond 5-6 .... L-Hofstra, L-@ JMU, W-VMI, W-@ Towson, L-W&M

I think this is how its going to work out, so How can you not take JMU, UNH, Umass and W&M? It think we get 4 teams...

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
It think we get 4 teams...
I don't. Last year that was made possible by other conference not having enough eligible teams. That won't be a problem this year and with Cal Poly and CCU possibly in the mix, there is no way the A10 gets 4. Take it to the bank now.

OL FU
October 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
UMass 9-2.... W-@ Maine, L-UNH, W-@ Delaware, W-@ Army, W-@ Hofstra

UNH 10-1.... W-N'eastern, W-@ UMass, W-@ Hofstra, W-Iona, W-Maine

Hofstra 7-4.... W-@ Richmond, W-@ URI, L-UNH, W-@ N'eastern, L-UMass

W&M 8-3.... W-Towson, W-@ Villanova, L-JMU, W-Delaware, W-@ Richmond

JMU 9-2.... W-@ Delaware, W-Richmond, W-@ W&M, W-Villanova, W-Towson

Richmond 5-6 .... L-Hofstra, L-@ JMU, W-VMI, W-@ Towson, L-W&M

I think this is how its going to work out, so How can you not take JMU, UNH, Umass and W&M? It think we get 4 teams...

I think it is reasonable to assume that the BSouth, GWFC, Southlands, SoCon, Gateway, BSC all get at least one at large, That only leaves two more teams. If one of those conferences slip and don't get an at-large, then maybe. Otherwise, I think one of your A-10's stay home.

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I don't see four A10 teams in the playoffs... the loser of JMU @ W&M will likely be home for the holidays.

blukeys
October 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Gee, Uncle Buck, we're actually having a football conversation. That's fairly rare here.

Agreed. It must be the Full Moon. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I think it's 2 or 3 teams. I think the only way the A-10 nabs a 4th spot if James Madison is 8-3 with at least one quality win. Ironically their only "quality win" is against Hofstra, so their fate could be tied to Hofstra's if they go 4-1 with a loss to W&M.

UMass is hard to handicap since their schedule from here on in is brutal. If they go 3-2 in their last 5 they are most likely in, but with their schedule it's no guarantee with four road games and I-A Army. They could be 10-1 or 7-4.

The rest of the league is anyone's guess. If they W&M loses to JMU, would the committee take them at 8-3 with a great win over UNH, but a big loss to URI? The UNH/Hofstra winner will have a win against a (currently) ranked opponent, but the loser of that game will not - and, is 8-3 with no wins over playoff teams going to be good enough for an at-large?

Best scenario for 4 teams would be a crazy team like Richmond getting the auto-bid (which means UMass loses twice), UMass and UNH do well enough to go at least 8-3 (which also means that UMass beats Army), and either W&M or JMU hangs in at 8-3 and nabs the 4th spot. Don't think that will happen, though.

DB_Atlantic10
October 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
That's why they play the game.....it will all iron itself out as the weeks go by.....it seems like football just started, I'm not looking forward the the playoffs....that means only a couple of games a week, slowly boiling down to zero.... the thought of that right now makes me slightly depressed...... :(

OL FU
October 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
That's why they play the game.....it will all iron itself out as the weeks go by.....it seems like football just started, I'm not looking forward the the playoffs....that means only a couple of games a week, slowly boiling down to zero.... the thought of that right now makes me slightly depressed...... :(

I agree. It seems impossible that week 8 is here. :(

Umass74
October 19th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Egad, We're STILL having a civil conversation.

I agree with the various Hen posters. It will be difficult to get four A10 teams into the playoffs this year. I think one 8-3 A10 teams stays home.

I also think that there will be more than one 8-3 team, so it will come down to head-to-head results.

P.S. I LIKE that everyone is picking us over Army!

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I don't. Last year that was made possible by other conference not having enough eligible teams. That won't be a problem this year and with Cal Poly and CCU possibly in the mix, there is no way the A10 gets 4. Take it to the bank now.

Getting four teams into the playoffs from one conference is never a likely scenario, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out just yet. The SoCon looks like two bids max right now, the PL will likely only get their autobid, and if CCU drops one more game (9-2) I think they are on the bubble. Whether or not the A10 gets a fourth could possibly depend on how the committee views McNeese and other SLC teams that missed games due to the hurricanes. I think it would be pretty hard for the committee to exclude WM at 8-3, with wins over #1 UNH, no DII wins, a quality IA loss, and 8 DI wins. The only "bad" loss would have been early in the season at URI.

UNH is in the best shape with their remaining schedule.
UMass is susceptible on offense and has the toughest remaining schedule. Losses to UNH and Army would put them on the bubble as well.

Kosty
October 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM
North toughest schedule:

1. UMass. @Maine, @Army, @Delware and @ Hofstra and home to high powered UNH is not a easy row. I understand Maine and the Hens are down this year, but plenty of challenges. I think UMass has a shot at Army, but if we loose there, we have to go undefeated against the rest of the slate to be guaranteed a playoff spot...

I honestly don't think the Army plays in to the discussion. If we lose to them, it does not effect our playoff aspirations. They are D-1......they suck, but they are still D-1.

DB_Atlantic10
October 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
UNH is in the best shape with their remaining schedule.
UMass is susceptible on offense and has the toughest remaining schedule. Losses to UNH and Army would put them on the bubble as well.

With 5 games remaining, everyone is on the bubble at this point....just too far out to guess at the college level, especially with the beef of everyone's schedule remaining..... last year this time, JMU was in the same situation as Richmond....they were doing well in conference, but had no respect because of their previous year and were barely squeaking out wins...yet they still had the beef of their schedule ahead of them, so everyone wrote them off....the rest is history.

People are talking about Furman barely getting by, but thats what it takes sometimes, knowing how to win the close ones, which comes in handy down the road when the competition gets thick and blowouts are few and far between...this is all just my opinion of course..... :)

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I honestly don't think the Army plays in to the discussion. If we lose to them, it does not effect our playoff aspirations. They are D-1......they suck, but they are still D-1.

If JMU wins in the South and UNH in the North and W&M and UMass both finish 8-3... each with a 1A loss (Marshall & Army)... the Army loss will figure in big time.

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
The SoCon looks like two bids max right now, the PL will likely only get their autobid, and if CCU drops one more game (9-2) I think they are on the bubble. Whether or not the A10 gets a fourth could possibly depend on how the committee views McNeese and other SLC teams that missed games due to the hurricanes.
I still haven't found anything about that 10 games rule so I think you have to assume that Southland teams are in the mix.

A10 (3) - most likely between UMass, UNH, JMU, and W&M
Gateway (3) - between YSU, WKU, SIU, UNI, IllSt
Southern (2) - between FU, ASU, GSU
Big Sky (2) - between UM, MSU, PSU and EWU and could be three
Southland (2) - between MSU, NSU and TxSt
MEAC (1) - could be 2 if SCSt beats HU in a close one and HU is 10-1
Patriot (1) - could be 2 if two of HC and Lehigh win out
OVC (1) - no chance for more

Now throw in Cal Poly and Coastal and we're already over the limit. No way the A10 gets four.

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I have a feeling that we will more than likely get three, hell, we have done pretty well the last couple of years as a conference come playoff time. As for four teams, if it plays out the way someone predicted earlier with UNH 10-1, UMass 9-2, JMU 9-2, and W&M 8-3, i just can't see W&M getting in. Then again, the season is getting late but it's still early. Too much can happen in conference...But i still stick with the early prediction of UNH, UMass, and JMU. As for my Dutch, I just think the probability of losing only one more of the remaining games is just not on our side...but you never know

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
DB10,

Of course what you say is correct, but the entire point of this thread is conjecture. We could all sit quietly and wait till it unfolds, but what would be the fun in that? :)

Umass74
October 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Uncle Buck:

This is off topic, but I wanted to say that I really like the new Hostra helmet decal.

Light years better than the old "Visa" card :bow:

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks UM74! As a player at HU from 90-94 we tried every year to get the prez to change our logo. We came up with all sorts of great ideas and he shot every single one down. The only thing about the new helmets, I think a single blue stripe down the middle would finish it off.

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate...

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I still haven't found anything about that 10 games rule so I think you have to assume that Southland teams are in the mix.

A10 (3) - most likely between UMass, UNH, JMU, and W&M
Gateway (3) - between YSU, WKU, SIU, UNI, IllSt
Southern (2) - between FU, ASU, GSU
Big Sky (2) - between UM, MSU, PSU and EWU and could be three
Southland (2) - between MSU, NSU and TxSt
MEAC (1) - could be 2 if SCSt beats HU in a close one and HU is 10-1
Patriot (1) - could be 2 if two of HC and Lehigh win out
OVC (1) - no chance for more

Now throw in Cal Poly and Coastal and we're already over the limit. No way the A10 gets four.

In your above scenario there are 17 playoff teams. So, if Coastal loses one more game and the Gateway, Big Sky or Southland beat up on one another and qualify one less team the door opens up for a fourth A10 team.

Likely? No Out of the question? Certainly not

Wild McGuirk
October 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Looking at the rest of the year for UMass, the Hofstra game is my biggest concern because I just don't know much about them, or how good they could be at the end of the year.
Most years I would take UMass over Army and we can still win, but ever since they've started looking like a legitimate 1-A team this year we can't put that in the W column.
Obviously UNH is a game that could go either way.
I think this year we beat UD at the Tub due to the fact they are down and probably out of it by then, and we should have no trouble being up for that game, especially if we get beat by UNH the week before.
I'd never look past an A-10 road game, but Maine is just beat up right now.
So that leaves Hofstra, and it would be a must win game in the A-10 if we lose to UNH and fall into a tie in the North.
So much football left.

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
So, if Coastal loses one more game and the Gateway, Big Sky or Southland beat up on one another and qualify one less team the door opens up for a fourth A10 team.
Have you seen Coastal's remaining schedule? Take that possibility off your list. The Gateway would only have two if WKU and YSU both beat SIU and UNI giving both four losses. If they all beat each other up and spread the losses, we should see three teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
In your above scenario there are 17 playoff teams. So, if Coastal loses one more game and the Gateway, Big Sky or Southland beat up on one another and qualify one less team the door opens up for a fourth A10 team.

Likely? No Out of the question? Certainly not

To add to this, are 2 SoCon bids a slam-dunk? No way. App St. will lose to I-A LSU, and if they slip and lose again to Western Carolina or Wofford, then they're 7-4 and out of the picture.

A big help to you (and my Mountain Hawks) is for Hampton to run the table and get that MEAC autobid... SC St. (I would hope) wouldn't get in as an at-large, even with their only losses to ranked Hampton and ranked Coastal Carolina.

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Has anyone looked at the remaining CCU schedule, @ Liberty, VMI, @ Savannah State, Mansfield, Charleston Southern. Super weak, no way they lose another game. The only way they won't get in is based either on strength of schedule or the fact that they drop in the rankings if any of these teams that are left give them a good game. JMU was a great win for them as was SC State, but will it be enough. Maybe the A-10 has an outside shot at 4 with the help of some other conferences thinning themselves out.

Sorry 89Hen, I posted the schedule thing before I saw your post mentioning CCU's remaining games.

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
CCU @ VMI is not a gimme. I consider Lehigh and CCU pretty comparable in talent level and Lehigh beat VMI by two points if I recall. VMI always plays tough, especially at home.

I agree, GSU and ASU could both end up at 7-4.

CCU2003
October 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
VMI visits CCU this year, and its homecoming for Coastal. If we drop that one.....goodness......:(

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Whoops, misread the post. At CCU is a virtual lock.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I agree that it would be extremely unlikely to see 4 A10 teams in the playoffs - but it's not out of the question. But remember, it's a 12 team conference so getting 4 teams is still only 33% of the conference. If the Gateway or Southern got just 3 teams in that's 37.5% of those conferences. But I agree with WMTribe90, the numbers of teams that should get in just make it too unlikely that the A10 gets 4. Couple that with the fact that the A10 is bereft of really good OOC wins this year (of the 4 teams from the A10 fighting for a spot only UNH owns one of the probably 4 good wins for the conference OOC this year - UNH beat UC Davis, UD beat Lehigh and Holy Cross, and nova beat Penn) and it's even harder. Look for 3 teams easy from the A10, the 4th only if the planets all align on selection day.

HensRock
October 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I think the Gateway gets only 2. This is just speculation, but I see IllSt. being very strong and at least 3 of the other 4 fading late in the regular season.

charliej
October 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Have you seen Coastal's remaining schedule? Take that possibility off your list....

Newberry ;)

I agree with others,the most likely is UNH,UMass & the W&M/JMU winner.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Newberry ;)

:bang:

:D

TheValleyRaider
October 19th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I want to pick UMass, and certainly think they're talented enough, especially on Defense to do it, but I don't think they'll beat UNH, and the rest is an absolutely killer road schedule, especially grouped together like that. I'd like to say UMass will make it, but that schedule has me hedging my bets.

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM

You are wrong on about 400 accounts.

#1. The playoff committee only counts D-I games. Which would include Army.
#2. I don't know if you know, but your team is D-I...are you really a fan?
#3. Read the above 2 again. Come on man, you can't come here and not understand that UMass is Division I...?

My picks....I say only 2 make it outta the A-10...
W&M and JMU

umassfan
October 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM

#3. Read the above 2 again. Come on man, you can't come here and not understand that UMass is Division I...?

W&M and JMU

You are on crack if you think there will only be two teams from the A10... and if there so happens to be only two teams from the A10... those two def arent the ones making it. Unless UMass falls apart to end the season, they are in the drivers seat for an Auto bid... it looks like worst case the will win a share of the A10 title... that alone will get them in... I think UNH also makes it with either JMU OR W&M

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 04:09 AM
W&M and JMU

Allright!! Some Southern love! :hurray:

umassfan
October 20th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Allright!! Some Southern love! :hurray:
The south is the weaker of the two A10 halfs this season!

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Since that's the case, the following may be possible.

W&M wins out...finishes 9-2 with JMU at 8-3.

UMass loses to UNH and Hofstra finishing 8-3.

UNH wins out finishing 10-1 and Hofstra at 8-3.

W&M wins auto-bid and UNH is in.

Who goes among JMU, UMass and Hofstra?

If JMU beats W&M, same scenario would include W&M in the dilemma.

Another possible is W&M winning out, UNH beating UMass, and all three finishing 7-1 in conference. Tie-breaker would be crazy again, and would the committee leave out an 8-3 defending national champion?

Uncle Buck
October 20th, 2005, 06:43 AM
All of this math makes my head hurt :confused:

Wild McGuirk
October 20th, 2005, 07:33 AM
My understanding is that a loss to a I-A still counts as a loss to the committee. Although a tough game with a good I-A might make you look stronger, the committe still must consider you a three loss team if that is your record. That's why it it's impossible to schedule more than one I-A a year and still give yourself a chance at the playoffs.
In theory, it would be great if UMass played all their ooc's with I-A's. Think of what it would do for the program if they could try to play BC, Syracuse, and uconn every year. But you'd be starting the year with 2-3 losses and need to go unbeaten in the A-10 to make the playoffs.

89Hen
October 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Tough call IMO.

1. UMass
1a. UNH
3. Hofstra
4. URI
5. Maine
6. Northeastern

1. JMU
1a. W&M
3. Richmond
4. Villanova
5. Towson
6. Delaware

Head to head...
- 1 vs. 1 goes to the North by 3 points at home which is standard home field advantage so that's a wash.

- 1a vs. 1a goes to the South in a drubbing, but South 1a also got smoked by North 4 who in turn lost to South 5. Go figure.

- This week we have 3 vs 3 which could be the one that tips the scale IMO.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Tough call IMO.

1. UMass
1a. UNH
3. Hofstra
4. URI
5. Maine
6. Northeastern

1. JMU
1a. W&M
3. Richmond
4. Villanova
5. Towson
6. Delaware

Head to head...
- 1 vs. 1 goes to the North by 3 points at home which is standard home field advantage so that's a wash.

- 1a vs. 1a goes to the South in a drubbing, but South 1a also got smoked by North 4 who in turn lost to South 5. Go figure.

- This week we have 3 vs 3 which could be the one that tips the scale IMO.

That's a good analysis. I wonder if the committee will do something similar if in a position to choose between two or more A-10 teams with identical records for a third playoff spot.

89Hen
October 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM
I wonder if the committee will do something similar if in a position to choose between two or more A-10 teams with identical records for a third playoff spot.
That and more. :nod: Right or wrong, they'll also take into account playoff history, attendance and facilities.

Kosty
October 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM

W&M and JMU

Sorry if I'm not as smart as you are. I always thought the committee would look at games against D-1 teams the same way they would look at games against D-2 schools. You know, technically 1A and 1AA are different. Otherwise, 1AA schools would be eligible for bowl games. You just schooled me good didn't you? You rule.

Dick.

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Sorry if I'm not as smart as you are. I always thought the committee would look at games against D-1 teams the same way they would look at games against D-2 schools. You know, technically 1A and 1AA are different. Otherwise, 1AA schools would be eligible for bowl games. You just schooled me good didn't you? You rule.

Dick.

How in the world this makes me a dick is beyond me. I think you blew my response out of proportion. You're taking a lot away from your team by ignoring the fact that they're in fact D-I. I know I-A and I-AA are different, but the committee for playoff selection counts all D-I games (both classifications) this year. I understand the differences between I-A and I-AA. I know how bowls work.

I schooled you? Don't take it so personally. This is a message board. Point is you were wrong. Continue the personal attacks and I will have an admin deal with this... :rolleyes:

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot UMass in my original analysis. Sorry guys. UMass, W&M and JMU, so three teams after all.

JMU2004
October 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Dick.

wow, UMass fans are certainly making a name for themselves

nyminuteman
October 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hey Tiger Fan,

How you thought you weren't being condescending with your response to Kosty is beyond me :eek: A simple response of all Division I opponents, regardless if it is IA or IAA are counted would have sufficed. You, on the other hand, took it to an entirely different level, tried to be witty, and got called on it. Now you threaten to go tell mommy that you are being picked on? What's that saying, can dish it out but can't take it.

Enough of that. I honestly think that JMU is still the team to beat. They are the defending champs and are still extremely talented. I am deathly afraid of Hofstra and we never play well in Delaware. UMass is by no means a lock to make the playoffs, but if the offense can generate just a few more points a game, we will be a tough out with our defense.

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM
UMass fans continue to amaze me. Where was I trying to be witty? When did I get called on it?

The only thing I really exaggerated was that he was not wrong on 400 accounts. Lighten up for the love of god.

Maroon&White
October 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Towson wins a few games and their fans get an attitude :cool:

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Attitude? I'm the one telling them to lighten up... :confused:

And so many people here act like we've never won a game. :rolleyes:

nyminuteman
October 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Come on.

"Are you really a fan?"

" Come on man. You can't come here and not understand that UMass is Division I".

Please Tigerfan. These lines were not antagonistic? If you were joking, you would have used an emoticon. You didn't, and so it came across to a lot of us as condescending. I would say being called a "Dick" after Kosty referenced the langauge in your post is being called on it.

I would agree that I used the wrong adjective to describe your post. You were not "witty".

Know it all. Get a life.

bandl
October 20th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Come on.

"Are you really a fan?"

" Come on man. You can't come here and not understand that UMass is Division I".

Please Tigerfan. These lines were not antagonistic? If you were joking, you would have used an emoticon. You didn't, and so it came across to a lot of us as condescending. I would say being called a "Dick" after Kosty referenced the langauge in your post is being called on it.

I would agree that I used the wrong adjective to describe your post. You were not "witty".

Know it all. Get a life.

Too bad UMass and Towson aren't playing this year....it'd be fun to watch their fans box!!! :argue: xlolx

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Come on.

"Are you really a fan?"

Know it all. Get a life.

Know it all and get a life? You guys have to be kidding me. Of course I was appalled that he didn't understand his team is D-I. You don't have to be a know it all or have no life to know that. If you're a fan of a team enough so that you come to this board but don't understand what division your team is in...it raises some questions. He was basically condescending your Minuteman team.

You guys are ridiculous. How in the world does this make me a know it all or person with no life?

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Too bad UMass and Towson aren't playing this year....it'd be fun to watch their fans box!!! :argue: xlolx

The boxing would be fun, but the game wouldn't...with that D and our lack of ability to stop other offenses, they'd likely stomp us.

DTSpider
October 20th, 2005, 07:18 PM
A good thread destroyed...

It'll be a good weekend of football. We should know a little more about UR & Hofstra's changes. If JMU loses to Delaware than they won't make the playoffs as I don't think that they'll beat both UR & W&M if they can't beat a down hens team.

JMU2004
October 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM
A good thread destroyed...

It'll be a good weekend of football. We should know a little more about UR & Hofstra's changes. If JMU loses to Delaware than they won't make the playoffs as I don't think that they'll beat both UR & W&M if they can't beat a down hens team.

UR is scary.....I like our chances at home. Tutt was enough to keep the game close last year

TigerFan17
October 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling one of the current power 4 (william and mary, unh, jmu and umass) will get upset big. Maybe even two of them.

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I have a feeling one of the current power 4 (william and mary, unh, jmu and umass) will get upset big. Maybe even two of them.

Which 2 do you have losing?

ChickenMan
October 21st, 2005, 07:53 AM
UMass is in a spot that could make them ripe for an upset... coming off a big win at home vs JMU and now playing a road game at Maine. Normally Maine in Orono is a tough assignment... but so far this year the Bears seem to have been in hibernation. Is Maine really as bad as they have looked recently??? If not... UMass could be in for a tussle.

bandl
October 21st, 2005, 07:55 AM
UMass is in a spot that could make them ripe for an upset... coming off a big win at home vs JMU and now playing a road game at Maine. Normally Maine in Orono is a tough assignment... but so far this year the Bears seem to have been in hibernation. Is Maine really as bad as they have looked recently??? If not... UMass could be in for tussle.

UMass only loses if their offense goes completely and utterly anemic or Maine gets about 8 turnovers. Their D is sick.

What's the weather going to be like up there?? Cold and/or rainy = dropped and fumbled balls = turnovers. That's the only way I see Maine winning.

GannonFan
October 21st, 2005, 08:15 AM
Maine winning isn't impossible, it's just terribly unlikely. They have the talent and playing in Orono is tough, but it just seems like Cosgrove has lost the team as they've just flat out quit before kickoff these past two weeks. It's hard to imagine them coming off the mat and beating UMass, but the one thing that UMass will always struggle with is their offense - they won't blow anybody out. Of course, that still requires that Maine is on the field on Saturday so there is a chance Maine could get blown out.

As for JMU, even with a loss to UD they wouldn't be out of it and that wouldn't preclude them beating Richmond and W&M. It'll be rainy on Saturday and UD is a far better home team than road team. And you never know when some things may just come together for the Hens. Again, I wouldn't pick UD to win but I wouldn't be shocked if the game is tight. Still, JMU only has to go on the road to W&M after this and I can't see them losing at home to anybody left on their schedule - it's getting tough to win in Harrisonburg anymore.

89Hen
October 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
UD is a far better home team than road team. And you never know when some things may just come together for the Hens. Again, I wouldn't pick UD to win but I wouldn't be shocked if the game is tight.
:nod: Under Keeler, the Hens are 24-3 at home with the three losses by 3, 4 and 4 points. Don't forget, that includes a year when the Hens were 6-6 overall. Doesn't mean I think they will win, but it wouldn't be a shocker. BTW, Keeler as a player and coach is 41-5 at Delaware Stadium.

Umass74
October 21st, 2005, 09:52 AM
UMass only loses if their offense goes completely and utterly anemic or Maine gets about 8 turnovers. Their D is sick.

What's the weather going to be like up there?? Cold and/or rainy = dropped and fumbled balls = turnovers. That's the only way I see Maine winning.

The forecast for Orono is sunny in am, clouding up in pm, rain late. High about 51...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Still, JMU only has to go on the road to W&M after this and I can't see them losing at home to anybody left on their schedule - it's getting tough to win in Harrisonburg anymore.

So true! We are lighting people up, and even in bad weather at home vs. Maine our crowd was at or near capacity.

On the other hand, away games in bad weather is cause for disaster. I am getting more worried about our chances in Newark by the minute... :bang:

boozeANDammo
October 21st, 2005, 11:19 AM
It is rather unfortunate, but Maine has mailed the season in. They looked totally uninspired after their first series in the game down in Harrisonburg. Cosgrove better do something or there's gonna be some turmoil, or at least more of it, in Orino.

The damn weather is going to be a factor again this weekend. We're going to see about 85 cumulative handoffs in Newark tomorrow. :cool:

DB_Atlantic10
October 21st, 2005, 11:23 AM
It is rather unfortunate, but Maine has mailed the season in. They looked totally uninspired after their first series in the game down in Harrisonburg. Cosgrove better do something or there's gonna be some turmoil, or at least more of it, in Orino.

The damn weather is going to be a factor again this weekend. We're going to see about 85 cumulative handoffs in Newark tomorrow. :cool:

Actually the forcast calls for more cloudyness than huge down pours.... 1/2" on Saturday total... the new sand based Sod should suck that right up.... But JMU has not won on the road, playing in grass with rain yet.... the same happened at Coastal.....and I don't have permission to mention that other place...... :eek:

boozeANDammo
October 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM
Should be interesting to see what Durden does on offense. He admitted to being way too conservative at UMass because of the lead and field conditions. Gotta figure he won't play it as close to the vest this time.

That said, UMass was a different grade of football team then is the current aberration that are the Blue Hens. Way, way too many young, new guys filling key positions.

Other A-10 observations:
While UR is certainly opening some eyes, they have a brutal stretch coming up which will inevitably produce an 'L' or two for em.

Who's sold on W&M at this point? I certainly am not. Their defense is a sieve and though while he appears poised, Phillips is very, very young at QB. Can he get popped and keep his head in the game? We'll see. With weather, they could very well lose this game to Towson (man, thought i'd never say something that wacky). Odds are that they will indeed win... advancing the notion that the Nov. date with us will be very, very signigicant.

WMTribe90
October 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Our defense has been inconsistent, but the pieces for a solid defense are there. Also, the defense played well against Marshall, VMI, Liberty (shutout is impressive regardless of opponent), UNH and in the 4th quarter/OT at NU. We were exposed on the road at URI and for three quarters at NU. The next two games will tell me how good this defense can be. We're making plays and forcing turnovers and our young LBs are improving. We need to improve the consistency of our run defense. A defense that holds UNH to 10 points can not be as bad as some would like to believe.

GannonFan
October 21st, 2005, 11:46 AM
While it's going to rain, it won't rain anywhere near as much as it did before the UD/Hofstra game or the JMU/UMass game and, with the new sod, it should be a very decent playing surface - it won't be anything resembling the unplayable muck those other two games were. It'll be wet but it shouldn't be mud wrestling.

boozeANDammo
October 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM
Our defense has been inconsistent, but the pieces for a solid defense are there. Also, the defense played well against Marshall, VMI, Liberty (shutout is impressive regardless of opponent), UNH and in the 4th quarter/OT at NU. We were exposed on the road at URI and for three quarters at NU. The next two games will tell me how good this defense can be. We're making plays and forcing turnovers and our young LBs are improving. We need to improve the consistency of our run defense. A defense that holds UNH to 10 points can not be as bad as some would like to believe.

I agree with what you said 90, but that UNH game was a mess weather-wise. All kinds of things change in those conditions, so I certainly wouldn't use that game as a barometer for your defense. You can bet your opponents will be looking at that Northwestern game tape closely.

The effort against Marshall was decent, not spectacular. VMI and Liberty might be worse then Delaware State and Lock Ness. Seriously. :eek:

Throwing out UNH for weather reasons (great win though), there have been two 1-AA games that tested your defense - URI and NW. Objectively, both bad football teams and the defense, I would say, did not get an overall passing grade. C+ at best for the NW game and an F for the URI debacle.

Maroon&White
October 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
It's hard to imagine them coming off the mat and beating UMass, but the one thing that UMass will always struggle with is their offense - they won't blow anybody out. Of course, that still requires that Maine is on the field on Saturday so there is a chance Maine could get blown out.

I'm very nervous about the next few games for UMass, not because of who they play but who will be playing QB. Coen suffered a concussion against JMU, thanks a lot, so Day will probably be filling in.

The last time Day filled it for a QB with a concussion (Krohn), he quickly led UMass to two loses, UNH and Hofstra, and straight out of the playoff contention with an 8-4 record. That year, 2002, started my dislike for Day that still runs today. While I respect him for what he's done, I still can't bear watching him at QB.

I'm extremely nervous about the games until Coen comes back. UMass lost to Colgate because of how many turnovers Gate caused, and it looks as if thats the best way to score points off of UMass. If Day is QB teams could have a field day with forced turnovers.

WMTribe90
October 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
I agree with what you said 90, but that UNH game was a mess weather-wise. All kinds of things change in those conditions, so I certainly wouldn't use that game as a barometer for your defense. You can bet your opponents will be looking at that Northwestern game tape closely.

The UNH game was not played in the mud. Footing was fine until the fourth quarter. Both teams had success passing the ball. There was little wind. Waether was not a HUGE factor. How else can you explain the fact that WM's offense put up 42 points in the same conditions or that UNH scored 52 against URI in the rain a week later on grass?

I predict our defense will have good showings against Villanova and Towson. JMU could be another NU if we don't improve our our defense of a power running game.

UNHknowledge
October 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
The UNH game was not played in the mud. Footing was fine until the fourth quarter. Both teams had success passing the ball. There was little wind. Waether was not a HUGE factor. How else can you explain the fact that WM's offense put up 42 points in the same conditions or that UNH scored 52 against URI in the rain a week later on grass?

I predict our defense will have good showings against Villanova and Towson. JMU could be another NU if we don't improve our our defense of a power running game.

I was there and weather WAS a factor (it was a monsoon) but not an excuse. W&M dominated UNH in every asset of the game and my hat goes off to them.

Tribe4SF
October 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
I was there and weather WAS a factor (it was a monsoon) but not an excuse. W&M dominated UNH in every asset of the game and my hat goes off to them.

If you'd call that a monsoon, you haven't been around much. It was plenty wet, and a little breezy, but no where near a monsoon. And the field held up very well. Watch the highlights of Elijah Brooks churning out yards, without slipping.

Sam Adams
October 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Football is played in all kinds of weather. Using the weather as an excuse is BS. UNH had a bad game and the Tribe had a great game. End of Story.

DB_Atlantic10
October 21st, 2005, 06:47 PM

UNH doesn't run....

DB_Atlantic10
October 21st, 2005, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately for W&M, JMU's defense won't give up those kind of points in a shoot-out....

charliej
October 23rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Have you seen Coastal's remaining schedule? Take that possibility off your list.

Coastal -27 Liberty -21 3 OT!!!

Anything's possible :cool:

89Hen
October 23rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Coastal -27 Liberty -21 3 OT!!!

Anything's possible :cool:
Well. Did they lose? :p

WMTribe90
October 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Not this week, but considering VMI beat Liberty earlier this year, CCU may have their hands full again next week. Win or lose, if CCU struggles for a third week in a row against a Big SOuth opponent, no way they deserve the playoffs.

Tubby Raymond
October 23rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Looking at the rest of the year for UMass, the Hofstra game is my biggest concern .

When you have lost 22 of the last 26 games to a team, that should be your biggest concern :D

Wild McGuirk
October 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I definitely hear that Tub. I was there in 2003 and saw how hard it is to win at UD, but I think this year UMass will be prepared for it. After this week they'll either be starting to smell an A-10 championship, or playing for their playoff lives depending on what happens with the MildCats.
They know what they're getting at UD. Hofstra being legit and maybe alive for the playoffs at the end of that road stretch that starts at the tub is still scary.
Nice win over the Dukes, glad we softened 'em up for you guys!

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Using the weather as an excuse is BS.
Whipple, Colgate, snow... :p