PDA

View Full Version : Starting QB for Grambling May be Out

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
In a year when the SWAC quarterbacks are going to be at an all new level, there's one QB who may be on the sidelines, Brandon Landers. It's a shame, whether it Landers or SHSU's running back (Poullard) -- you got to hope these kids can get their academics together, more for themselves, than the fans who cheer them on from the stands.

The next option is a redshirt freshman transfer from Missouri, who at 6-3 and 250 pounds is known as a dual-threat QB...

GRAMBLING — Monroe product Brandon Landers, a three-year letterman at Grambling State, will likely miss next season over an academic issue.

“I’m trying to see what I can do,” the quarterback said. “I didn’t get the grade I needed (in a history class), so it’s up in the air right now if I will even play.”

Landers, a fifth-year senior after redshirting in 2005 at Grambling, most recently posted career highs for completions, yards and touchdowns in the inaugural season under GSU coach Rod Broadway. That helped the Tigers advance to their fifth Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game since 2000, before falling to Jackson State last December.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/SPORTS/80725037/1006

Lionsrking
July 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
“I’m trying to see what I can do,” the quarterback said. “I didn’t get the grade I needed (in a history class), so it’s up in the air right now if I will even play.”

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/SPORTS/80725037/1006

Not sure what's "up in the air" if he didn't get the grade he needed.

Anyway, we all have our share of academic casualties...it's not unique to athletics either.

paward
July 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Not sure what's "up in the air" if he didn't get the grade he needed.

Anyway, we all have our share of academic casualties...it's not unique to athletics either.

Yes we do all have our share of casualties academically, but in order to play you have to pass. Not make dean's list just pass at a bare minimun. I wish these athletes will figure out how blessed they are and realize that the real world mandates you do your best in class as well. Not making the grade is a sore spot for me. I have no probleam with a sholarship, if you get one great. I repaid student loans ten years pass my school days and I borrowed little. I know this post and reality means others will go the same way. I just hate it with a passion to hear it when one has to leave for grades. I know there are resources available to athletes in respect to academics. I wish they will all use them and make it off the field as well as on.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
In a year when the SWAC quarterbacks are going to be at an all new level, there's one QB who may be on the sidelines, Brandon Landers. Grams going to be fine.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=38570

813Jag
July 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
In a year when the SWAC quarterbacks are going to be at an all new level, there's one QB who may be on the sidelines, Brandon Landers. It's a shame, whether it Landers or SHSU's running back (Poullard) -- you got to hope these kids can get their academics together, more for themselves, than the fans who cheer them on from the stands.

The next option is a redshirt freshman transfer from Missouri, who at 6-3 and 250 pounds is known as a dual-threat QB...

GRAMBLING — Monroe product Brandon Landers, a three-year letterman at Grambling State, will likely miss next season over an academic issue.

Landers, a fifth-year senior after redshirting in 2005 at Grambling, most recently posted career highs for completions, yards and touchdowns in the inaugural season under GSU coach Rod Broadway. That helped the Tigers advance to their fifth Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game since 2000, before falling to Jackson State last December.

Just out of curiosity what new level are SWAC QB's on?

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Just out of curiosity what new level are SWAC QB's on?For a conference who produced Doug Williams and Steve McNair, im very interested in what he has to say.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Just out of curiosity what new level are SWAC QB's on?

Well, 6 of 10 QBs are gone in the league...no telling what's going to happen in the SWAC.

There's lots of hype surrounding Bobby Reid...Alabama State has Noonan at OC. Think he can do something? Heard of Bryant Lee? Seems SWAC QBing has some explosive players that can do a few things...

813Jag
July 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Well, 6 of 10 QBs are gone in the league...no telling what's going to happen in the SWAC.

There's lots of hype surrounding Bobby Reid...Alabama State has Noonan at OC. Think he can do something? Heard of Bryant Lee? Seems SWAC QBing has some explosive players that can do a few things...
Heard of Bryant Lee? xlolx Who is that? xconfusedx xlolx

The SWAC has always had good QBs. From McNair, to Darnell Kennedy (Alabama State), Lionel Hayes and Bruce Eugene (Grambling), etc. For people that have been around the SWAC this is nothing new.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 05:20 PM
McNair didn't have much luck against SHSU. Did put SHSU and Alcorn State on ESPN to a regional TV audience, which was pretty neat and still remains our largest crowd to date. :)

Where's Eugene now by the way?

Hood
July 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Saints signed him post draft in 2006 and he was cut not that long into camp or so. He did a stint in the CFL and some playing time in NFL Europe.

From there I can't locate any information on him. He was last on the Bucs roster (big surprise when it comes to QBs and the Bucs).

Just a small off topic gripe: This is why closing NFLE was such a bad move. Guys like Eugene could be honing their skills on a higher level.

I thought he was an interesting story that year going into the draft. Football is funny like that, but I don't need to tell any of you that.

813Jag
July 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
McNair didn't have much luck against SHSU. Did put SHSU and Alcorn State on ESPN to a regional TV audience, which was pretty neat and still remains our largest crowd to date. :)

He didn't have much luck against Youngstown State either, but that's neither here nor there.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Just a small off topic gripe: This is why closing NFLE was such a bad move. Guys like Eugene could be honing their skills on a higher level.

I agree about NFLE. No question there. I hope another league, outside of Arena Football, gets off the ground. That AAFL looked like a good chance for some players to go against somewhat decent, quasi-NFLE quality. We'll have to wait and see if that fully materializes...

blackcaesar3k5
July 28th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The SWAc has always been quarterback friendly league going back to sixties... You have excellent offensive coordinators like Spady, Woody, Orlando, Pearl and let's not forget about Johnnie Cole and Hobo Offense...

813Jag
July 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
The SWAc has always been quarterback friendly league going back to sixties... You have excellent offensive coordinators like Spady, Woody, Orlando, Pearl and let's not forget about Johnnie Cole and Hobo Offense...
Orlando? xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Orlando? xlolx

xlolx Orlando some times gets a hard rap but his offense is always ranked towards the tops in the conference. I wish Oliver was still the OC. 2003 was a thing of beauty.

blackcaesar3k5
July 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
813jag, Southern had some explovise offensive attacks in ninties under Olrando.. David Oliver did excellent job running fast break offense back in 2003-2004...

813Jag
July 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
813jag, Southern had some explovise offensive attacks in ninties under Olrando.. David Oliver did excellent job running fast break offense back in 2003-2004...
You don't have to tell me I was there, that Orlando and the present Orlando are like two different people. Oliver did a great job until Pete brought Orlando back. You watch enough Southern games and you will know what Orlando will call and when he will call it.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
You don't have to tell me I was there, that Orlando and the present Orlando are like two different people. Oliver did a great job until Pete brought Orlando back. You watch enough Southern games and you will know what Orlando will call and when he will call it.

Orlando must have three personalities then. xlolx

When he came to 3rd Ward under "Big Bill" he ran off just about the entire starting receiving corp and is responsible for "Big Bill's" demise.

813Jag
July 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Orlando must have three personalities then. xlolx

When he came to 3rd Ward under "Big Bill" he ran off just about the entire starting receiving corp and is responsible for "Big Bill's" demise.
I remember that. Wasn't a good look at all.