1. Liberty (12)..........................................72 5 -- -- -- -- 77
2. Coastal Carolina...................................-- 40 12 6 -- -- 58
3. Gardner-Webb.....................................-- 10 36 6 -- -- 52
4. Stony Brook.........................................-- 10 4 18 4 2 38
5. Charleston Southern (1).........................6 -- -- 6 16 2 30
6. VMI............................................... ......-- -- -- 3 6 9 18

Footix
July 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I just want to know who gave Charleston Southern a first-place vote. Who in their right mind ...

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
SHSU plays Gardner-Webb, so that's why I am prying into things...but what do the Big South fans think of GWebb's placement. Is this about right, third in the conference?

Footix
July 26th, 2008, 08:37 AM
SHSU plays Gardner-Webb, so that's why I am prying into things...but what do the Big South fans think of GWebb's placement. Is this about right, third in the conference?

I think the poll is just about right. I think some people may have flopped GW and Stony Brook, but SB is such an outsider that I don't think most people know how they will actually stack up. SB has a good program, but it will be interesting to see how their athletes stack up against athletes from the South.

As for GW, we hear every year about how this is going to be the year and they never live up to the hype. They have the potential to be very good - in fact, I think they have as much talent as anybody in the league - but they never play well when it matters.

jcmanson
July 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I just want to know who gave Charleston Southern a first-place vote. Who in their right mind ...

From what I hear, you're not allowed to vote for your own team. So, it had to be LU. :)

CSUBUCDAD
July 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM

The same guy who voted us 5th in 2005 most likely. He learned his lesson. That is ok, it ain't how you start, it's how you finish.

Footix
July 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
From what I hear, you're not allowed to vote for your own team. So, it had to be LU. :)

I doubt Rocco would have voted CSU for first. I think it more likely he would have voted for Coastal or GW or SB.

Footix
July 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
The same guy who voted us 5th in 2005 most likely. He learned his lesson. That is ok, it ain't how you start, it's how you finish.

Did you notice that CSU didn't even get a vote for 2nd or 3rd? That tells me that somebody smoked something before they voted.

Seawolf97
July 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I think the poll is just about right. I think some people may have flopped GW and Stony Brook, but SB is such an outsider that I don't think most people know how they will actually stack up. SB has a good program, but it will be interesting to see how their athletes stack up against athletes from the South.

As for GW, we hear every year about how this is going to be the year and they never live up to the hype. They have the potential to be very good - in fact, I think they have as much talent as anybody in the league - but they never play well when it matters.

You are right. We are an unproven commodity right now so 4th place for now is about right. Liberty as defending conference champ had to be 1st until proven otherwise same with Coastal.
I like the fact we put 4 players on the pre season all conference team those kids are good . They all put up good numbers last year when we played as independent. Looking forward to a good season!

SuperJon
July 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
You have to look how close the 2nd and 3rd place results were. One vote different and G-W could've been 2nd and CCU third.

Hoseinexile07
July 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think that LU will finish in a commanding first place while the rest of the teams fight for a very distant second. During the media day events yesterday, GW's coach responded to a question about parity between the schools of the Big South, saying that there is relative parity among all schools except LU. It could have been that he was just giving polite pre-season props, but I think he's right. LU is hands-down the best team in the conference and will probably continue to be so for a while.

SuperJon
July 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
You called us LU. That's weird from you. I expected you to say Them.

Sly Fox
July 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
xlmaox

Thanks for the props, Kilts.

Seriously it would be great if there were real parity. But there really isn't much in common these days between LU and CCU with VMI & CSU. But the same could be said for nearly every conference. As a whole the bottom schools are better today than they were a few years ago.

I'm genuinely excited to have another Big South school to follow in non-conference play with the Seawolves. Generally speaking I don't pay much attention to New England FCS football. But now I will have at least one Yankee school on my radar.

And Presbyterian doesn't appear in the poll even thought they play everyone except Stony Brook. But they would probably fall in that second tier with G-W and Stony Brook. Just ask CCU & VMI how good they can be as they move further into their FCS experience.

BJuice
July 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
We (CSU) have four players on the Preseason All-Conference Team also.

LU is and should be voted #1. I believe you could put the rest of the league in a hat and be just as accurate. Two through six is a complete toss up.

The usual variables will factor into the final order of finish. Injuries, coaching, preparation, chemistry, etc.

We have 31 lettermen and 19 starters returning from last year. We have upgraded our most dissapointing position from last year considerably. That being QB. We have not one but two capable QB's. Last year, I never got the feeling that either QB was capable of leading the team, much less executing the offense. I was at every home game last year and I got the sense that last year was very frustrating for Coach Mills because it didn't look like he had any confidence in either QB grasping the offense.

SuperJon
July 26th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think it goes

Liberty

GW/Coastal/SBU

CSU/PC

VMI

SuperJon
July 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
And, for the record, I think if Childers plays like everyone thinks he will, Coastal will pull away from the second group and be closer to Liberty than GWU/SBU.

Hoseinexile07
July 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
You called us LU. That's weird from you. I expected you to say Them.

Well, this isn't the PC forum, and unlike there, hardly anyone knows the hatred I have for....Them.

g-webb1994
July 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Painful, but true. Third seems right. I take Coastal to beat the Falwellites in Conway and run the table in the conference.

CSU gets a first-place vote? What for, their hot blonde cheerleaders?xnodx

coastalalum
July 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
LU is hands-down the best team in the conference and will probably continue to be so for a while.

while i agree that LU no doubt deserves the preseason favorite title, i'm not so sure i'll buy into the "continue to be so for a while" part just yet. LU has benefitted rather nicely from transfers as of late. now that the rules have changed a bit, i wouldn't necessarily count on that sustaining them into the future. the flames have 7-8 guys on the preseason all conference teams...all of them are seniors. and that doesn't take into account other key players that are seniors on this year's team like terrell, bolden and greiser (just off the top of my head). like many of the guys on the liberty board say, if ever there was a year they need to break through, this may just be it.

whatever happens, i'm just excited for it all to get under way!

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
July 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The NC Central "Eagles" will Look Forward to Playing PRESBYTERIAN again and Coastal Carolina during this up-coming Football Season.
http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/nccu-m-footbl-sched.html

Good Luck to All.

Take Care!

Hoseinexile07
July 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm still annoyed that we don't get to play Stony Brook this year. xnonono2x

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm genuinely excited to have another Big South school to follow in non-conference play with the Seawolves. Generally speaking I don't pay much attention to New England FCS football. But now I will have at least one Yankee school on my radar.

And you'll be able to continue not paying much attention to New England FCS football because Stony Brook is on Long Island. While it isn't far as the sea gull flies from CT, it is very much a part of New York State. ;) :p :p :p

Uncle Buck
July 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I think SBU will be a tough out on anyones schedule. They have a great coach in Chuck Priore and they really seem to be moving in the right direction. I'm not a fan of SBU, but i will say that they play 60 minutes and if you take them lightly they can beat you. I can't wait to see how this season shakes out for them in the Big South.

It's an odd marriage, but then again, why be normal.

Seawolf97
July 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I think SBU will be a tough out on anyones schedule. They have a great coach in Chuck Priore and they really seem to be moving in the right direction. I'm not a fan of SBU, but i will say that they play 60 minutes and if you take them lightly they can beat you. I can't wait to see how this season shakes out for them in the Big South.

It's an odd marriage, but then again, why be normal.

Thank You! We are not the same team we were this time last year. Still cant get out of that wedding on 9/27xoopsx

csubuccaneers
July 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I believe 2nd place thru 6th place will be a toss up.

SBUFAN33
August 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
there's news that the hofstra game might be getting changed to a friday night game, and one of our conference games might be getting changed to a thursday night game.

Seawolf97
August 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
there's news that the hofstra game might be getting changed to a friday night game, and one of our conference games might be getting changed to a thursday night game.

Yikes The Sea Gods have Smiled!xhurrayx