PDA

View Full Version : Something to prove!

appstate38
July 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Since we are rapidly approaching the start of camp and the season I figured it may be a good discussion to see what team(s) have the most to prove this season and why. Off the top of my head in no particular order.

JMU- Needed to clear one more hurdle to get back to the Championship game. HIGH expectations for this group

UR- Same as above- as they both survived tough conference schedules

Montana- Just because it has been a while since the Griz have made a deep run. Too much talent not to get it done.

Elon- Just because they are looking to advance into the elite of FCS Football. The pieces are beginning to get into place.

NDSU- Playing for keeps now. Talent is there, so now it is time to produce. Lots of eyes will be following your progress this season.

That should be enough to get the conversation going.

elcid96
July 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM
The Citadel has big expectations this year to win 7 games again and be poised to return the the playoffs. Our next few years will be huge before we head into another 15 year drought.

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
W&M has to prove they can again be competitive in the CAA, and a threat to make the playoffs. The Tribe is still fairly young, but has solid Senior leadership this year, and recruiting seems to have improved. Expectations in Williamsburg are muted, but there is consensus that this years team will be better.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Wofford needs to prove it can have 2 successful years in a row (not to mention beat furman 2 years straight!xmadx )

citdog
July 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Wofford needs to prove it can have 2 successful years in a row (not to mention beat furman 2 years straight!xmadx )

youngterrier needs to prove he has a testicle satchel and attend a real mans school..not the wimp factory known as wofford college

Ronbo
July 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Since we are rapidly approaching the start of camp and the season I figured it may be a good discussion to see what team(s) have the most to prove this season and why. Off the top of my head in no particular order.

JMU- Needed to clear one more hurdle to get back to the Championship game. HIGH expectations for this group

UR- Same as above- as they both survived tough conference schedules

Montana- Just because it has been a while since the Griz have made a deep run. Too much talent not to get it done.

Elon- Just because they are looking to advance into the elite of FCS Football. The pieces are beginning to get into place.

NDSU- Playing for keeps now. Talent is there, so now it is time to produce. Lots of eyes will be following your progress this season.

That should be enough to get the conversation going.

To average Montana fans 2 years without a deep run is too long.xsmiley_wix

Montana deep runs this decade.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
SHSU with Rhett Bomar -- prove that we're capable of doing what we did with Dustin Long and Josh McCown...

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
youngterrier needs to prove he has a testicle satchel and attend a real mans school..not the wimp factory known as wofford college

I'd rather go to wofford and win a socon title every few years than go to the citadel and have a winning season every few years:p

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM

At the Citadel's current rate of victories over Wofford College...Haley's comet will pass over head before the next one occurs...:p

citdog
July 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'd rather go to wofford and work for a The Citadel Graduate upon graduation than go to The Citadel.

very well

citdog
July 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
At the Citadel's current rate of victories over Wofford College... wofford would have to win 50 more straight to even the series

accuracy

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
accuracy

*shrugs* When you're NAIA for 50 years, that'll happen.

Now that we're even, I'm still waiting to see a Citadel victory...

dystopiamembrane
July 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
glanville and mouse

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I would rather go to wofford and work for a Citadel graduate then go to the Citadel very well

The Citadel has graduates?

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
"At the Citadel's current rate of victories over Wofford College... wofford would have to win 50 more straight to even the series"
accuracy
-Citdog's tampered quote and response

seriously, the series is definitely closer when the playing ground was even(like recruiting). What's the series count for the last 19 years (you know when Woco WASN'T NAIA)? The answer Wofford 12 The Citadel 7xrulesx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM
To average Montana fans 2 years without a deep run is too long.xsmiley_wix

Montana deep runs this decade.

I was gonna say the same thing. Since when is being in the final 2 or the final 4 not a deep run?

slostang
July 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Cal Poly.

Cal Poly has been a program on the rise the last five years. I think that they are loaded this year and they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. They feel like they are a top program and they want to prove it. I know they are looking forward to getting a great program like Montana at home this year. With 10 returning offensive starters (from the top 2007 FCS offense), expectations are high.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Cal Poly.

Cal Poly has been a program on the rise the last five years. I think that they are loaded this year and they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. They feel like they are a top program and they want to prove it. I know they are looking forward to getting a great program like Montana at home this year. With 10 returning offensive starters (from the top 2007 FCS offense), expectations are high.

Absolutely true. I just think it's iffy because your AD put the team against the wall with the schedule. It's ballsy and if you get in to the playoffs and I think you will then all hell is gonna break loose. There are some absolutely loaded offenses in the FCS this year.

gophoenix
July 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The Citadel has big expectations this year to win 7 games again and be poised to return the the playoffs. Our next few years will be huge before we head into another 15 year drought.

I am with you here.

-NDSU because they have thought they were the best in FCS last season and they can try to prove it now.
-EKU and JSU because everyone questions the validity of the OVC.
-The Citadel has something to prove because they've been down so long.
-Elon has something to prove because it is their first shot after being questioned for SoCon membership.
-Western because they were 0-for last year.
-Albany because they are the best of the conference that no one thinks belongs in the playoffs.
-Delaware - how can they turn around after losing so much and being embarrassed in the championship game.

93henfan
July 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
JMU.

They are ranked high in all preseason polls, they had a heartbreaking exit against ASU last year in the playoffs, and they have the usual brutal CAA South schedule to play.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
McNeese State is the only program to have been to the I-AA/FCS national championship game at least twice without winning a national championship. I don't know if this is the year to be proving things, but that's a "something to prove" situation.

slostang
July 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Absolutely true. I just think it's iffy because your AD put the team against the wall with the schedule. It's ballsy and if you get in to the playoffs and I think you will then all hell is gonna break loose. There are some absolutely loaded offenses in the FCS this year.

With only three conference game this year I don't the AD and the coach had much choice with the schedule.

Houndawg
July 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
McNeese State is the only program to have been to the I-AA/FCS national championship game at least twice without winning a national championship. I don't know if this is the year to be proving things, but that's a "something to prove" situation.

Last year's playoff game is enough to put them in a something to prove situation.

SIU was picked to finish fifth in the MVC. They're better than that. If they come out of a brutal (Hampton, @N'Western, UNI, @NDSU) first month 2-2 they'll make some noise.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
With only three conference game this year I don't the AD and the coach had much choice with the schedule.

True dat. I just hope it doesn't cost you guys a playoff shot this year with that team. I think the non counter is what hurts you guys the most but you could easily the playoffs with only one or two losses as well. The margin for error thing just keeps me wondering about it. I don't expect the Griz to win out there but if they did then man you guys are kinda up against it.