PDA

View Full Version : UMR(D2) to play a IAA four weeks in a row

da_bears
October 19th, 2005, 12:31 AM
My school, Univesity of Missouri-Rolla, is set to play the last 4 games of the season against a I-AA opponent. We are a division 2 independent currently after leaving the MIAA last season to join the great lakes confrence but i'm not entirely certian if we are joining that confrence or not.

I dont know if this is a money making scheme or if we are preparing to make a IAA jump(very unlikly). But is this common?

Oct 22@ South Dakota State
Oct 29 @Austin Peay,
Nov 5 home vs Morehead State
Nov 12 @ Butler.

we are 5-2 against our D2 foes and i think we could pull off an upset of two.

galojay
October 19th, 2005, 12:36 AM
You stand a good chance for upsets. I believe APSU is bringing back scholarship I-AA football (currently plays non-scholarship I-AA), Morehead and Butler I believe play non-scholarship I-AA. I guess you could be honorary members of the Pioneer Football League.

smarterray
October 19th, 2005, 01:37 AM
UC Davis, before making the jump to I-AA, regularly played against Saint Mary's (CA), Cal Poly, and Sacramento State.

Sometimes we played other I-AA's, like as Cal State Northridge, Southern Utah, Portland State, etc, along with our regular California I-AA's.

ucdtim17
October 19th, 2005, 01:48 AM
UC Davis, before making the jump to I-AA, regularly played against Saint Mary's (CA), Cal Poly, and Sacramento State.

Plus more, like CSU Northridge, Southern Utah, Portland State, and Texas State.

ucdtim17
October 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Yeah

smarterray
October 19th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Yeah

haha, I think you replied while I was checking past schedules :P. Good looking out, though.

ucdtim17
October 19th, 2005, 01:56 AM
haha, I think you replied while I was checking past schedules :P. Good looking out, though.

Just as I did

AmsterBison
October 19th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Hey, good luck Rolla guy.

All I know is that if it was a solar car race, you guys would own them :)

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Morehead State, Butler and Austin Peay are all currently in the Pioneer Football League. The league is 1-AA non-scholarship, meaning that no aid may be offered to football players due to athletic ability. The only aid allowed is that offered to all other students, ( academic scholarships, need based aid, etc. ). That said, the quality of football played in the PFL varies greatly. The class of the league currently is San Diego, ( beat Yale and Dayton and lost to Princeton by 3 points even though they completely outplayed Princeton ). Next is Dayton followed by Drake and then Morehead State. Austin Peay is leaving the league after this season to rejoin the OVC. Next season they play as an independent and in 2007 they will be back in the OVC. Of course they will offer football scholarships. Butler is perhaps one of the worst teams in football at any level. They are 0-7 thus far, and have not really been all that close in any games.... So, Missouri-Rolla will almost cetainly beat Butler, have a competitive game with Austin Peay and probably win, and lose to Morehead State in my opinion. These are interesting games for the PFL in that technically we are playing a "lower division" Division II team, but that team probably offers 36 scholarships to our zero. So are we playing up or down? Depends on how you look at it. Personally, I am against the PFL playing these games. Absolutely nothing to gain and the embarrassment of losing to a lower division if we lose....