PDA

View Full Version : Underrated players

UNHknowledge
October 18th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Who do you guys have as the most underrated players in I-AA on both sides of the ball and all purpose.
My under the radar ballers:
Offense
Tony Kays, UC Davis
J.J. Outlaw, Villanova
Elijah Brooks, W&M

Defense
BJ Flenory, UNH
Corey Graham, UNH
Stephen Cason, W&M

All purpose
Dante Ross, Bucknell (unfortunate his team is the pits)
Mike Boyle, UNH

excuse my UNH bias, let me know who you guys have under the radar.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Trey Bennett - McNeese State (Soph Linebacker) :nod:

catbob
October 18th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Ricky Gatewood, MSU receiver

You'da heard more of him this year had he not beed suspended by the NCAA for a paperwork mixup for three games.

19 catches last week for 196 yards and 2TDs... yes I said 19 catches in a game.

He is averaging 120 yards per game and 1 TD per game, through four games.

galojay
October 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I have to say WKU's Lerron Moore.

His pre-seaon honors only included honorable mention all-Gateway Football Conference and was ranked 11th amont top 20 returning running backs, by The Sports Network.

Lerron has rushed his way into being a fan favorite for WKU. Junior running back lacks just just 191 yards to record 3500 all-purpose yards for his career.

Lerron is averaging 128.5 yards a game. (4th in the nation)

Lerron ranks 5th in the Hilltopper record books for career rushing yards, at 3,227. #1 is WKU legend and now assisant coach Willie Taggart, with 3,997 yeads. Lerron will likely pass that record this year.

Lerron also ranks 4th in WKU records for 100-yard rushing games, with 16. #1 is 18.

Lerron is also 5th in WKU books for career touchdowns, with 30.

Chris James has quietly become a superb kicker, he currently has 60 consecutive made extra point kicks, school record.

CatFan22
October 19th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Gatewood underrated??? He is preseason all-everything!

I agree with you, but I think he has dropped a bit from the minds of a lot of people this year because of the suspension.

SochorField
October 19th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I believe Tony Kays was leading the country even before pre season All-American TE Daniel Fells went down against Stanford.
Kays is only a Junior! Very exciting for us in Aggie land.

ucdtim17
October 19th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Kays yes because Fells went out. Outlaw and Brooks no because they were preseason top 5 in the A10. Same for Cason, Graham and (for the PL) Ross. Why do you think these guys are underrated?

It's just as likely that Kays struggles since Fells is out, as he has in the past two games. Fells always drew a double team. Now teams can crowd Kays and the other receivers. Still should break every UCD record this year and definitely be in the running for every top I-AA award

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Most underrated player in the A-10 is W&M center Patrick Mulloy.

Sam Adams
October 19th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Its silly to try an argue about who the most underrated player is. There is no right answer because it is subjective and depends on who is doing the rating.

That said, UMass LB James Ihedigbo is pretty underrated, James leads the A10 in sacks and he is hardly mentioned until after the game.

umassfan
October 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Its silly to try an argue about who the most underrated player is. There is no right answer because it is subjective and depends on who is doing the rating.

That said, UMass LB James Ihedigbo is pretty underrated, James leads the A10 in sacks and he is hardly mentioned until after the game.
Ihedigbo is a SS not LB but yes he def should be at the top of the list.

AppGuy04
October 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Kevin Richardson RB App State

Daric Carter RB Furman

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Kays yes because Fells went out. Outlaw and Brooks no because they were preseason top 5 in the A10. Same for Cason, Graham and (for the PL) Ross. Why do you think these guys are underrated?

Ralph, u're absolutely right about them bein top 5 preseason...but I've got them underrated because none of them have been first team A10 and I think they're all overdue. I also think that atleast one of them should be on the Payton or Buchanon list. Flenory not being on Buchanon is crazy...anyone that has seen a UNH game live knows that he is in almost every play and is due for atleast 2 huuge plays everygame. And...nobody can tell me that Silva from Holy Cross that was held to under 40yds rushing by both overrated Harvard and Lehigh is better than Elijah Brooks who has basically given everyone over 100yds including I-A Marshall.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Most underrated player in the A-10 is W&M center Patrick Mulloy.

I agree, that boy can play...similar to Magerko from JMU but MAGERKO gets more love.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Ralph, u're absolutely right about them bein top 5 preseason...but I've got them underrated because none of them have been first team A10 and I think they're all overdue. I also think that atleast one of them should be on the Payton or Buchanon list. Flenory not being on Buchanon is crazy...anyone that has seen a UNH game live knows that he is in almost every play and is due for atleast 2 huuge plays everygame. And...nobody can tell me that Silva from Holy Cross that was held to under 40yds rushing by Cornell is better than Elijah Brooks who has basically given everyone over 100yds.

1. Holy Cross didn't play Cornell this year

2. Silva leads the nation in all-purpose yards by 20 per game (213.3 ypg)
* 600 yards, 7 TDs rushing
* 271 yards, 1 TD receiving
* 359 yards, 2 TDs punt returns
* 263 yards, 1 TD kick returns
* 4-of-5, 71 yards, 3 TDs passing

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
I have to say WKU's Lerron Moore.

His pre-seaon honors only included honorable mention all-Gateway Football Conference and was ranked 11th amont top 20 returning running backs, by The Sports Network.

Lerron has rushed his way into being a fan favorite for WKU. Junior running back lacks just just 191 yards to record 3500 all-purpose yards for his career.

Lerron is averaging 128.5 yards a game. (4th in the nation)

Lerron ranks 5th in the Hilltopper record books for career rushing yards, at 3,227. #1 is WKU legend and now assisant coach Willie Taggart, with 3,997 yeads. Lerron will likely pass that record this year.

Lerron also ranks 4th in WKU records for 100-yard rushing games, with 16. #1 is 18.

Lerron is also 5th in WKU books for career touchdowns, with 30.

Chris James has quietly become a superb kicker, he currently has 60 consecutive made extra point kicks, school record.

Good post galojay...This kid is averagin almost a buck 30 per game rushing on the #1 team in the country and he's not on the Payton list over Silva. Not to be too harsh on Silva for having sub-par competition but this Lerron kid would have 200yds a game if he played the likes of Georgetown and Bucknell every week.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM
1. Holy Cross didn't play Cornell this year

2. UNH already has somebody on the Payton Award list . . Ricky Santos

3. Silva leads the nation in all-purpose yards by 20 per game (213.3 ypg)
* 600 yards, 7 TDs rushing
* 271 yards, 1 TD receiving
* 359 yards, 2 TDs punt returns
* 263 yards, 1 TD kick returns
* 4-of-5, 71 yards, 3 TDs passing

I know smart guy...i corrected myself 2 sec after i put the post up...His all purpose stats are impressive. The Payton List doesn't show return statistics. I'm def more impressed with him after seein those stats but I doubt that he'd have those gaudy numbers if he played scholarship schools.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Good post galojay...This kid is averagin almost a buck 30 per game rushing on the #1 team in the country and he's not on the Payton list over Silva. Not to be too harsh on Silva for having sub-par competition but this Lerron kid would have 200yds a game if he played the likes of Georgetown and Bucknell every week.

I don't understand the problem people have with Patriot League players on awards lists . . why do you assume that Steve Silva is on the list since Lerron Moore isn't ? Omar Cuff, Lex Hilliard and Clifton Dawson are 17th, 18th and 19th in the nation in rushing, nobody's kicking them off the watch list. that list will be revised two more times anyways.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I know smart guy...i corrected myself 2 sec after i put the post up...His all purpose stats are impressive. The Payton List doesn't show return statistics. I'm def more impressed with him after seein those stats but I doubt that he'd have those gaudy numbers if he played scholarship schools.

I don't want to get into the whole scholarship school issue, but three of Holy Cross' seven opponents were ranked in the top 20 when they played them -- No. 19 Harvard, No. 6 Delaware and No. 10 Lehigh.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I don't understand the problem people have with Patriot League players on awards lists . . why do you assume that Steve Silva is on the list since Lerron Moore isn't ? Omar Cuff, Lex Hilliard and Clifton Dawson are 17th, 18th and 19th in the nation in rushing, nobody's kicking them off the watch list. that list will be revised two more times anyways.

I didn't say those jamokes AREN'T overrated...I could make great arguments supporting how overrated they are but Silva is easy to pick on cuz he don't play anyone...but look...your boy is obviously a very good player. Rubin and Austin are SOLID and Hilliard is damn good, but I'd replace Silva, Cuff, or Dawson w/ Brooks and Lerron.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't say those jamokes AREN'T overrated...I could make great arguments supporting how overrated they are but Silva is easy to pick on cuz he don't play anyone...but look...your boy is obviously a very good player. Rubin and Austin are SOLID and Hilliard is damn good, but I'd replace Silva, Cuff, or Dawson w/ Brooks and Lerron.

He's not my boy . . Lafayette held him to 24 yards rushing, 60 yards receiving and 51 yards on kick returns last year, and I hope we do it again this year. But when you call out a player as overrated when he leads the nation in all-purpose yardage by more than 10% of the next guy's total, expect a response from people around here.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
He's not my boy . . Lafayette held him to 24 yards rushing, 60 yards receiving and 51 yards on kick returns last year, and I hope we do it again this year. But when you call out a player as overrated when he leads the nation in all-purpose yardage by more than 10% of the next guy's total, expect a response from people around here.

All purpose all shmurpose...when you get the ball in 4 different ways during a game you should rack up a bunch of yards unless you stink. I respect the PL, I've got strong ties and have watched lots of PL football, trust me. Anyways UNH's own Steph Lewis in 2001 also led the nation in all purpose yardage and was on the Payton list and I def think he was overrated as well. Hence he plays AF2 instead of NFL. I used to hate when people compared him to Azumah. I wish you guys luck this year against HC...it should be an intersting race to the finish in the PL.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 09:09 AM
All purpose all shmurpose...when you get the ball in 4 different ways during a game you should rack up a bunch of yards unless you stink. I respect the PL, I've got strong ties and have watched lots of PL football, trust me. Anyways UNH's own Steph Lewis in 2001 also led the nation in all purpose yardage and was on the Payton list and I def think he was overrated as well. Hence he plays AF2 instead of NFL. I used to hate when people compared him to Azumah. I wish you guys luck this year against HC...it should be an intersting race to the finish in the PL.

If you stink you don't get the football four different ways. He's also accounted for an "untraditional" touchdown a game (three PR, one KR, three pass).

I don't think playing in AF2 instead of the NFL constitutes "overrated". Very few players are Brian Westbrook.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
If you stink you don't get the football four different ways. He's also accounted for an "untraditional" touchdown a game (three PR, one KR, three pass).

I don't think playing in AF2 instead of the NFL constitutes "overrated". Very few players are Brian Westbrook.

Dude...are you not reading my post...I already said I was impressed w/ Silvas return stats. And no you don't STINK when you get the ball 4 ways...but damn you should put up numbers if you do. AND I'm not sayin Lewis is overrated cuz he doesnt play NFL...obvioulsy a Westbrook comes along once every blue moon but there are also CFL(which steph was cut from), AF1, and NFL Europe. He was clearly overrated being on the Payton list in 2001.

atlGAmocs
October 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I am going to be a bit of a homer here but I would say that Antonio Miller, QB of UTC Mocs is one of the more underrated players in the SoCon. He doesn't have eye popping numbers and his touchdown to interception ratio is awful, but he does have the Mocs @ 5-2. He has led 4th quarter or OT victories in 4 out of 7 games. He was simply fantastic in the final drive @ Jax State both throwing and running the ball. Now if he could work on his focus during the first three quarters of the game he could be a real special player, maybe the next Richie Williams.

AppGuy04
October 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I am going to be a bit of a homer here but I would say that Antonio Miller, QB of UTC Mocs is one of the more underrated players in the SoCon. He doesn't have eye popping numbers and his touchdown to interception ratio is awful, but he does have the Mocs @ 5-2. He has led 4th quarter or OT victories in 4 out of 7 games. He was simply fantastic in the final drive @ Jax State both throwing and running the ball. Now if he could work on his focus during the first three quarters of the game he could be a real special player, maybe the next Richie Williams.

richie's best quality is his decision making, aka, not throwing interceptions, taking whats given to him. i haven't seen chat this year, but i would assume if his td/int ratio is bad its probably b/c he is trying to force things and do it on his own, give him some help and he will probably improve

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Dude...are you not reading my post...I already said I was impressed w/ Silvas return stats. And no you don't STINK when you get the ball 4 ways...but damn you should put up numbers if you do. AND I'm not sayin Lewis is overrated cuz he doesnt play NFL...obvioulsy a Westbrook comes along once every blue moon but there are also CFL(which steph was cut from), AF1, and NFL Europe. He was clearly overrated being on the Payton list in 2001.

I read that you said . . All purpose all shmurpose...when you get the ball in 4 different ways during a game you should rack up a bunch of yards unless you stink. . . I guess if it was that easy, more players would be averaging 200 all-purpose yards a game instead of just one.

I think, as a rule, the all-purpose yardage leader should at least be one of the 16 players on the Payton list. It's nice to recognize outstanding all-around football players.

youwouldno
October 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Kevin Richardson RB App State

Daric Carter RB Furman

I had thought of these guys too, among some others I'm familiar with. People forget that little was expected of App St. this year... Richardson has been a big part of that team's success. He's a good-looking combo back.

Carter doesn't get as many carries or receptions (though he has 17 on the year with 3 TDs) as Richardson because he splits time with Mays & Gipson, not to mention a number of carries go to Felton. But he's been huge this year... at 6'1, 215, he's strong but also a terrific athlete... very useful on offense since he can split out (and spent half his college career at WR).

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I read that you said . . All purpose all shmurpose...when you get the ball in 4 different ways during a game you should rack up a bunch of yards unless you stink. . . I guess if it was that easy, more players would be averaging 200 all-purpose yards a game instead of just one.

I think, as a rule, the all-purpose yardage leader should at least be one of the 16 players on the Payton list. It's nice to recognize outstanding all-around football players.

I know Silva is very good but I just don't see him being in contention for 'The Best Player' in I-AA award. I say all purpose all shmurpose because UNH's Steph Lewis led the country in all purpose yds in 2001 cuz UNH stunk and were kicked off to more than anyone in the country. As far as kick and punt returns go...UNH's Mike Boyle and Corey Graham would have too much fun in the PL as well as Maine's Arel Gordon. This is my last post on the topic.

WMTribe90
October 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
One from WM's defense...Jonas Watson (DE). Doesn't get much publicity because he's the third DE behind two very good starters. Plays alot though and leads the team in sacks and TFLs. Great pass rusher and open field tackler with legit sub 4.5 speed at 235 pounds. Kid simply makes big plays game in and game out.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I know Silva is very good but I just don't see him being in contention for 'The Best Player' in I-AA award. I say all purpose all shmurpose because UNH's Steph Lewis led the country in all purpose yds in 2001 cuz UNH stunk and were kicked off to more than anyone in the country. As far as kick and punt returns go...UNH's Mike Boyle and Corey Graham would have too much fun in the PL as well as Maine's Arel Gordon. This is my last post on the topic.

Silva has only returned 10 kicks in seven games, so that's not the bulk of his yardage. He does have a punt return for a touchdown in each of the last three games. If those guys want to have fun in the PL, they had their chance. The bottom line . . the PL is a pretty good football league, Colgate made the national championship game two years ago, Lehigh lost 14-13 in the first round to eventual national champion James Madison, and Lafayette was inside Delaware's 20 driving for the tying score with under 4 minutes left last season.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
mag page 16... all-conference

Then that is the first time. Not on the A-10 preseason and has never made it before.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't brush off Cuff just yet - granted his rushing numbers have started to come down but he's just shy of 1,000 yards when you add in the receiving yardage - he's the 3rd highest scoring RB in IAA and he did play a game in a mudbowl, bringing down the stats for that one game. Still too early to pull the plug.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
You folks do have the magazine ... right?

Yes, but all we've been doing lately is looking for mistakes! :D

cosmo here
October 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM
mag page 88... preseason top RB and all-conference... interview page 91

Ralph - wasn't saying Silva was underrated, just providing some stats for the new-nh guy who seemed to think he wasn't deserving of a spot on the Payton watch list. everybody in the PL knows he's good.

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Laurent Robinson -WR ILS -Underrated
Brian Thompson -RB-ILS Underrated

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM
well I wasnt going by the Mag... I was going by what I see on web pages and what not, I know you guys had them up there, but on ESPNU and CSTV during I-AA broadcasts, they never get a mention at all!!! Thompson rushes for 165 @ SIU scored 4 TDS and not even a mention on the I-AA All-Stars for the week. SIUs D was only allowing 2.3 a carry. Robinson torches them for 180 receiving and a TD and nothing...Thats why I said underrated!!!

fuEMO
October 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Andrew Jones — Furman SO MLB
59 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 9 tackles for loss

And I bet he won't get votes for second team All SoCon

colgate13
October 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Based on the teams I've seen this year:

Colgate - most of the defense outside of Jared Nepa and Geoff Bean. Specifically Jeff Galletly, Chris and Cody Williams and Zach Dollar.
CCSU - their QB had a nice game against us, I don't know if he did much more.
UMass - JJ Moore has since got some press (but is out now, right?). He had a solid game.
Cornell - Luke Siwala at running back.
Fordham - Marcus Taylor at linebacker. He never quit playing even when Fordham was down.

AppGuy04
October 19th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Andrew Jones — Furman SO MLB
59 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 9 tackles for loss

And I bet he won't get votes for second team All SoCon

he's young, and there are alot of good linebackers in the socon

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM
So second team and top five means they are underrated?? Geez! mag page 16.

NO! Ralph...second team in your underground I-AA mag is not enough attention for these guys. It is a great mag though but I wanna see them on first team AP all-conference lists.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Jamar Leath - ILB - CCU

In 6 games he has 70 total tackles (24 solo) - 4.5 tackles for a loss - 2 sacks - 1 QB Hurry - 1 fumble recovery for 18 yards - 3 forced fumbles

charliej
October 19th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Nova QB Frank Jankowski. Great numbers, even with the banged up O line,(at one point vs Richmond I think he played behind four frosh).He's been the most consistant player in an otherwise rocky season.

eagleskins
October 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
John Mohring. The best linebacker in the Socon.

youwouldno
October 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM

please

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 10:29 PM

He must have forgotten he was the best LB in the Socon vs. App. St.
Kevin Richardson went for 208 on him. That's interesting.

primetime21
October 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Justin Surrency, wide receiver from UNI. He has possibly the best hands in the nation; runs great routes; and adjusts to the ball well. The panthers are a run first offense and for reasons unknown to most of the panther community, he is terribly underutilized.

hvsader
October 21st, 2005, 06:27 AM
I have no idea how many NFL scouts there are, or how many games they watch, but just read that Fitton Field has a bunch of them watching Silva... :(

jmuroller
October 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
I haven't seen a JMU one yet (unless I missed it) so I will add a few..

CB Clint Kent
DE Kevin Winston

youwouldno
October 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Not sure I agree. Elon has some solid players on defense-- CB Ijames is another one, Mark Jetton is pretty good. Plus, Nkang has 11 tackle-for-loss, including 4 sacks... so he's not just pasting guys that get through or around the D-line. He's making plays all over.

If I had to put together a SoCon all-star team, Nkang and Freeman would be locks at LB. The third one might be tough. Mohring is good, but he's not very big, and his speed is good but not incredible. Porter Johnson is a terrific player for Citadel.

GrizFoo
October 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Tyler Joyce for UM is a stud. Best LB the Griz have had in years.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Raul Vijil - Eastern Washington
Craig McIntyre - also EWU

These guys are _really_ good (especially Vijil), but get overshadowed by one of the best WR's in I-AA history, Eric Kimble.

GrizFoo
October 21st, 2005, 11:20 PM
MacIntyre was all-conference last year possibly on some all-american list, and did have a good year. But to be honest, I'd put Utterback, Hawthorne, and Joyce as better than him, and Ryan about equal. Utterback broke his foot against Oregon, Hawthorne has had a string of injuries, and Ryan is now playing behing MacIntyre. Utterback and Hawthorne both are probably more athletic than anyone, Utterback the fastest by a margin, but Joyce is close behind athletically, fast enough, but tons of instincts and feel for the game really are what make him top notch. Ryan's older brother played for Notre Dame, but I don't know that he got much PT. Ryan seemed to level off, and didn't seem to be improving for a while, but seems to be now that he is getting some more playing time.
Utterback, when all is said and done, will be a great one. Nearly the strongest kid on the team in the weight room including the linemen, faster than most of our safeties, and pretty smart. He plays a bit out of control at this early stage in his college career, but is great on blitzes. Just needs some of Joyces instincts and control and look out.

Safety Van Cooper, who doesn't even start, is coming on, and possibly starting to live up to last year's hype. Still he had the second most takles on the team last year, while playing platoon style. I'd say he played about half of the time. Real fast, real strong, and hits hard. Doesn't have great lateral movement but enough for safety. So fast he is always around the ball. Could be underrated this year.

Weber's got a WR transfer from Utah who is pretty good, can't recall his name.

primetime21
January 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I forgot. They do great all-conference lists... (do you have a link for them?) :rolleyes: Maybe little old I-AA.org, the worldwide leader in I-AA coverage should just pull its tail between its legs and let the "big boys" say who is good in I-AA? You know who those voters are??? Yeah, some are members here and most subscribe to the I-AA.org magazine. You'd think they would have a clue by now wouldn't you? New Hampshire fans smacking us now even though two of their players are on the mag cover... :(

And we all found out in the end.............they were OVER rated.

GannonFan
January 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM

???? :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: ??? How so? Because they didn't win the national title? Do you honestly think Santos and Ball weren't very good? Heck, even in the UNI game, Ball went 10 catches for 188 yards with 3 TD's, plus had that long run at the end of the game, and Santos went 27 for 42 passing with 3TD's and he had 458 total yards of offense. It's not like UNI didn't have a decent defense either. Looks like these guys lived up to their billing if you ask me. :nod:

UNH 40
January 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Do you actually believe the crap that you just wrote, if you do you need your head examined. They are the two most dominant players in I-AA and as of right now Ball is one of the most dominant in history. Put the best I-AA and a lot of I-A defenses against this tandom and 9 times out of 10 they will light you up. They should be on the cover again this year, because again they will be the two best players in the country providing they stay healthy. Next time you post something how about thinking for a second about what you are about to say.

LBPop
January 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Sure it's subjective and that's why it's fun to discuss it. Of course, determining the I-A "Champion" is still subjective and if they paid attention to I-AA, they would know how to eliminate the subjectivity.

Now, after that little treatise, I would nominate Alex Buzbee of Georgetown. It's tough to get your proper recognition if you are overshadowed by a teammate or playing for a losing team. In Buzz's case, he has suffered from both. Buzz has been the "other guy" when opposing coaches would refer to the Hoya defensive ends. Yes, Michael Onanibaku was a wonderful player, but if you get to see Georgetown next season, check out #35. Yes, Alex will be wearing that honored jersey this season as a fitting successor to "Ono". He is special and will probably get some attention from NFL scouts as a free agent, at least. He's got skills and an NFL physique.

dirtbag
January 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Who do you guys have as the most underrated players in I-AA on both sides of the ball and all purpose.
My under the radar ballers:
Defense
BJ Flenory, UNH
Corey Graham, UNH
Stephen Cason, W&M

Two of the three most underrated defensive players in the country were on a team that finished 91st (of 116) in yards allowed?

What's wrong with this picture?

carney2
January 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
This is a bit of a "homer" response, but there is an awful lot of that at this site, so...

How about Lafayette's "other two" linebackers (besides Maurice Bennett): Dion Witherspoon and Blake Costanzo? The MVP award in this season's Lafayette - Lehigh game went to a running back (this kind of award always seems to go to an offensive player, doesn't it?), but, IMO, Costanzo was the player who should have received it. He was wrapped around the Lehigh QB, Threatt, all day like bad underwear. When I watched the rerun of the game on local TV it struck me that you seldom had a shot of Threatt where Costanzo was not in the frame.

One that has been mentioned before, but who really impressed me, was the Richmond QB, Tutt. A little eratic, but he had a bit of Richie Williams in him.

One more for the road here: how about Royce Morgan the Lehigh defensive lineman? Every offensive coordinator that faced Lehigh had to have a plan for dealing with this guy.

nlwwln
January 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM
james terry LB from youngstown state
deshawn baker RB SCST