PDA

View Full Version : HBCU network?

ASU33
July 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I was on onnidan a few weeks ago and they were discussing a possible HBCU network that would feature teams from the MEAC,SWAC,CIAA,SIAC, and all the other HBCUs. This morning I was listen to Tom Joyner and he had a gut on who was on some kind of commitee that was planning to meet with all of the conferences and schools to try to get the network started. I think Chuck Vosh or Voshe(however) you spell it is on the commintee along with the former owner of BET. Has anyone heard of this?xconfusedx

Sly Fox
July 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Didn't the SWAC & MEAC have a contract with a cable network the past few years for a game of the week?

I realize that is different from an actual HBCU network.

Punchykky
July 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Didn't the SWAC & MEAC have a contract with a cable network the past few years for a game of the week?

It seems to change every year.

jdb037
July 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Over this summer I've been interning at CBS College Sports and have assisted on a project involving the HBCU "Athlete of the Week" which will be featured on College Sports Tonight on the network. Realize this doesnt answer your question, but it is giving HBCU's more exposure.

813Jag
July 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM

A few years back there was a TV deal with MBC which later became TV One. (I believe xconfusedx) This came after BET reduced their football coverage.

813Jag
July 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM

A few years back there was a TV deal with MBC which later became TV One. (I believe xconfusedx) This came after BET reduced their football coverage.

WileECoyote06
July 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM

MBC later the Black Family Channel ceased broadcasting in 2007 and was bought by the Gospel Channel. TV One was a start up channel, and is owned by Comcast.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
This sounds like an awfully tough haul. Not because of a lack of a market - it's because HBCU's are among the best-covered teams in the entire subdivision, with a ton of games on ESPNU already.

The SWAC and MEAC already have their lucrative ESPNU contract, which includes televising the SWAC championship. If this were to get off the ground, to me it sounds like they would get ESPNU's "leftovers" and more CIAA/SIAC games. (Admittedly, that may be enough to kick something off, I don't know.)

The interesting wild card in all of this? The Florida Classic.... who was just dissed by ESPN and is looking for a sponsor... if this new HBCU network could get that... that would be interesting. But what might ESPNU then do to the MEAC portion of their contract?

Interesting stuff....

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Serious question:

would all of the HBCU athletic departments consider forming their own athletic association and quitting membership in the NCAA?

R.A.
July 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Serious question:

would all of the HBCU athletic departments consider forming their own athletic association and quitting membership in the NCAA?

No.

R.A.
July 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Contracts end. Once the contract with ESPN has concluded, with the right amount of backing dollars, an HBCU sports channel can be profitable.

WileECoyote06
July 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
This sounds like an awfully tough haul. Not because of a lack of a market - it's because HBCU's are among the best-covered teams in the entire subdivision, with a ton of games on ESPNU already.

The SWAC and MEAC already have their lucrative ESPNU contract, which includes televising the SWAC championship. If this were to get off the ground, to me it sounds like they would get ESPNU's "leftovers" and more CIAA/SIAC games. (Admittedly, that may be enough to kick something off, I don't know.)

The interesting wild card in all of this? The Florida Classic.... who was just dissed by ESPN and is looking for a sponsor... if this new HBCU network could get that... that would be interesting. But what might ESPNU then do to the MEAC portion of their contract?

Interesting stuff....

CIAA already has an ESPN-R package. I believe that the SIAC has a limited partnership with CSTV. Those would have to cease as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
CIAA already has an ESPN-R package. I believe that the SIAC has a limited partnership with CSTV. Those would have to cease as well.

Right now, schools make decisions based on ESPN's whims (see UNI/Nicholls State thread for evidence) and not the other way around. This partnership could be an effective bargaining chip or Plan B, but if ESPN still wants to carry MEAC/SWAC/CIAA games, they will most likely get what they want since they have all the money.

The more I think about it, this sounds an awful lot like a "Plan B" should ESPN abandon the HBCU's.

blackcaesar3k5
July 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It would be nice if hbcu's did had network.. I would love to see Central State, Tuskegee, FAMU, Tennessee State, jackson state and other playing on national television.. I remember back in late 90's thru 2002, the MEAC Conference had television contract and showing games live..

SU Jag
July 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I heard about it on the radio also, Mr.Johnson(former BET owner) and a few other big wigs are already in the opening stages of presenting their play to all of the HBCU schools. They said they hope to have the network up and running in about a year or so. Check out blackamericaweb.com and you can read mor on it.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
What do HBCUs get out of NCAA membership?

Seems like they can make more money by having their own association and TV contracts.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
What do HBCUs get out of NCAA membership?

Seems like they can make more money by having their own association and TV contracts.

If they had their own athletic association, they would not get all the guarantee dates in football and basketball that fund the rest of their athletic departments, which for the most part, tend to be underfunded. Having their own association would hurt their programs even more...almost similar to NDSU going against UND in Minneapolis...

And by being in the NCAA, it does not hurt their ability to get TV contracts. The NCAA does not control television packages, we're not in the early 1980s.