PDA

View Full Version : ASU Paying for wanting it sooo bad!!!!!!!!

ASU33
July 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Everyone had heard a laughed about the hundreds of NCAA Violations that my school has been hit with this past off-season. We were hit for taking the short cuts and trying so hard to get that championship that the Hornet fans have been preaching for since the glory days of Coach Houston Markham. For you guys who dont know, Alabama State has one of the biggest fan bases in FCS or 1-AA or whatever you want to call it. As a matter of fact we have the 3rd biggest fan base in the state of Alabama behind only Auburn and Alabama. And our fan base is a demanding one. Because of this, in 1999 our administration made a questionable move in hiring Coach L.C Cole, who is resposible for me playing at Bama State. Coach Cole was like a father figure to the players on the team but his problems with the NCAA followed him from Tennessee State to ASU. At the time our administration had to make a splash when hiring a football coach because of the emergence of out two biggest rivals in-state Alabama A&M had just moved from division 2 and they were making some serious noise in 1-aa(ask Troy), and from the school about 40-minutes away Tuskegee. Historically we have always dominated A&M but that gap had decreased dramatically by 1999. Tuskegee on the other hand had been dominating ASU, so our administration with that preasure from the alumni and fans felt like that had to take a chance on coach Cole. In 2001 we were back competing for a SWAC title for the first time in almost a decade, recruiting was at its peak, and the school was flirting with the idea of going 1-A. Then after I arived to ASU(fall 2002)the roof started to cave in. The rumors about coach Cole were everywhere, we were predicted to win the division but we didnt even finish with a winning record. Coach Cole stepped down durring the 2003 season and Coach Coe took over leading us to the SWAC title game and out 1st victory over Tuskegee in years. Our fanbase was excited but concerned about all of the controversey surrounding Coac Cole's tenure at ASU. Fast forward to today. With the embarrasment our school faced with the Cole era at ASU, it brings to light how desperate schools can be to win. It takes a special person to coach at a Alabama, a Oklahoma, or a Notre Dame, and it also takes a special person to coach at a Georgia Southern or Grambling, Jackson State or Southern, and Alabama State. These fans will not tolerate loosing period! Because of this, we are suffering now! Tuskegee has beaten us 9 out of the last 11 years, Alabama A&M has beaten us 6 out of the 7 years, and now with the NCAA violations!!!!!!!! Whoaxeekx But we will keep our heads up, my major concern is how patient will our rabid fan base be with coach Barlow, who is the best thing to happen to ASU in a long time. I have never meet a more classy individual who is determined to do thigs the right way and my hat goes off to him. But one more A&M loss and one more Tuskegee loss, the fire coach guys will be in full effect. But we are in the postion that we're in because of wanting it sooo bad, we have noone to blame but ourselves but we will pick ourself up and compete the right way.

furman94
July 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Oh thank GOD! Not another App thread! You scared me ASU33! You should specify the ASU!

AppIAA
July 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
you beat me to it furman94..

Not another ASU thread!!!!!

AppAlum2003
July 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Oh no! Not another thread about non-ASU fans complaining about too many ASU threads!

:D

DLS
July 25th, 2008, 08:03 AM
and instead of responding to the post's topic we reply with what we thought the post was and casually turn it into being about that.

app wins again.

appfan2008
July 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
that scared me for a second cause i thought we had violated something i hadnt heard about

AshevilleApp2
July 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Everyone had heard a laughed about the hundreds of NCAA Violations that my school has been hit with this past off-season. We were hit for taking the short cuts and trying so hard to get that championship that the Hornet fans have been preaching for since the glory days of Coach Houston Markham. For you guys who dont know, Alabama State has one of the biggest fan bases in FCS or 1-AA or whatever you want to call it. As a matter of fact we have the 3rd biggest fan base in the state of Alabama behind only Auburn and Alabama. And our fan base is a demanding one. Because of this, in 1999 our administration made a questionable move in hiring Coach L.C Cole, who is resposible for me playing at Bama State. Coach Cole was like a father figure to the players on the team but his problems with the NCAA followed him from Tennessee State to ASU. At the time our administration had to make a splash when hiring a football coach because of the emergence of out two biggest rivals in-state Alabama A&M had just moved from division 2 and they were making some serious noise in 1-aa(ask Troy), and from the school about 40-minutes away Tuskegee. Historically we have always dominated A&M but that gap had decreased dramatically by 1999. Tuskegee on the other hand had been dominating ASU, so our administration with that preasure from the alumni and fans felt like that had to take a chance on coach Cole. In 2001 we were back competing for a SWAC title for the first time in almost a decade, recruiting was at its peak, and the school was flirting with the idea of going 1-A. Then after I arived to ASU(fall 2002)the roof started to cave in. The rumors about coach Cole were everywhere, we were predicted to win the division but we didnt even finish with a winning record. Coach Cole stepped down durring the 2003 season and Coach Coe took over leading us to the SWAC title game and out 1st victory over Tuskegee in years. Our fanbase was excited but concerned about all of the controversey surrounding Coac Cole's tenure at ASU. Fast forward to today. With the embarrasment our school faced with the Cole era at ASU, it brings to light how desperate schools can be to win. It takes a special person to coach at a Alabama, a Oklahoma, or a Notre Dame, and it also takes a special person to coach at a Georgia Southern or Grambling, Jackson State or Southern, and Alabama State. These fans will not tolerate loosing period! Because of this, we are suffering now! Tuskegee has beaten us 9 out of the last 11 years, Alabama A&M has beaten us 6 out of the 7 years, and now with the NCAA violations!!!!!!!! Whoaxeekx But we will keep our heads up, my major concern is how patient will our rabid fan base be with coach Barlow, who is the best thing to happen to ASU in a long time. I have never meet a more classy individual who is determined to do thigs the right way and my hat goes off to him. But one more A&M loss and one more Tuskegee loss, the fire coach guys will be in full effect. But we are in the postion that we're in because of wanting it sooo bad, we have noone to blame but ourselves but we will pick ourself up and compete the right way.

Good luck on the rebound of your program. xthumbsupx

You should post this on a Michigan board. I'm concerned that the "win at all costs" attitude has taken hold there.

Retro
July 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM

First off, Try to Space and Paragraph your rant so it's easier to digest.

Second, based on attendance numbers your 5th in fan support behind troy and UAB.... xnonox

ASU - 12,383.
TROY - 20,479.
UAB - 16,706.

elon77
July 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
you probably have, it just hasn't been discovered yet!

appfan2008
July 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Second, based on attendance numbers your 5th in fan support behind troy and UAB.... xnonox

ASU - 12,383.
TROY - 20,479.
UAB - 16,706.

the numbers he was producing were in his head estimations... xlolx

AppAlum
July 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
you probably have, it just hasn't been discovered yet!

Allegations, even sarcastic ones, won't be taken seriously until Coach Moore is gone. I am fairly certain he is a saint.

SU Jag
July 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

ASU - 12,383.
TROY - 20,479.
UAB - 16,706.

Actually it is ASU. ASU play most of its larger games away from Crampton Bowl, ie The Gulf Coast Classic and the Magic City Classic. You can spend a few minutes in the central alabama region and see how popular ASU is. Their fan base is more visable than any of those schools you mentioned. ASU brings more fans to UABs home stadium than UAB could ever imagine.

downbythebeach
July 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Tuskeegee should probably move up, they were monsters last year and obviously know how to support a good football team.
I hadnt realized how bad it was for ASU........Is there money there to help out?
I'm actually a fan of a team that hasn't had a winning season since 1992, so I feel your pain.

Retro
July 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Actually i'm from alabama and i know exactly how those schools stand among the population and ASU is nowhere near the popularity of UAB and TROY... Leave the school area and see how much merchandise you see from the schools around the state..
Troy has slowly grown it's fan base over the past several years and UAB was not existent as a team just over a decade ago and despite some rough years have clearly outdrawn ASU at home.. Classics really don't factor as the real fan base goes to all home games. These 2 schools have alumni that are just starting to come on board to the football programs as of recent, mainly because they are FBS now...

Wait till USA starts football, they will surprise you on how well they draw after a couple of seasons...

ASU33
July 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Actually i'm from alabama and i know exactly how those schools stand among the population and ASU is nowhere near the popularity of UAB and TROY... Leave the school area and see how much merchandise you see from the schools around the state..
Troy has slowly grown it's fan base over the past several years and UAB was not existent as a team just over a decade ago and despite some rough years have clearly outdrawn ASU at home.. Classics really don't factor as the real fan base goes to all home games. These 2 schools have alumni that are just starting to come on board to the football programs as of recent, mainly because they are FBS now...

Wait till USA starts football, they will surprise you on how well they draw after a couple of seasons...

Dude ur sick. If it wasnt for the hospital and basketball team noone would even know about UAB, and Troy gets no play around the Birmingham area. You can pick up the Birmingham News 70 percent of the time and not even know Troy was in the state. UAB football games are a sad sight! Get real. I promise you the UAB/Bama State football game will be at best a 60/40 as far as fans with the advantage going towards ASU! Troy has a nice fan base but it ia no where near the size of ASUs.

SU Jag
July 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Dude ur sick. If it wasnt for the hospital and basketball team noone would even know about UAB, and Troy gets no play around the Birmingham area. You can pick up the Birmingham News 70 percent of the time and not even know Troy was in the state. UAB football games are a sad sight! Get real. I promise you the UAB/Bama State football game will be at best a 60/40 as far as fans with the advantage going towards ASU! Troy has a nice fan base but it ia no where near the size of ASUs.

Man dont try to explain anything to this guy! Everyone knows exspecially in the Birmingham area how popular Bama State is. You sit along I-20, or I-65 and see Hornets plates all day long, and not see one Troy or UAB one. I lived in Birmingham for a few years and I know about pretty much all of the teams there. Fact, UAB does not have any football fans............well maybe a few. The fact that Miles College a division 2 school with 1,600 students packs more fans into Legion Feild that UAB does tells u something. That guy probably think that UL-Monroe has a larger fanbase than Grambling or Southern. Hell, Alcorn had more fans at the UAB game than UAB did, so just imagine how the Bama State game is gonna look. You can pass by Legion Feild during a UAB game and not even know that anything was going on inside the Stadium, you cant say that for ASU. When ASU comes to Birmingham, its an event! RVs are all over the stadium parking lot, you see black n gold ASU flags everywhere, u cant say that for UAB.

ASU33
July 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM

ASU - 12,383.
TROY - 20,479.
UAB - 16,706.

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

slostang
July 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM

ASU - 12,383.
TROY - 20,479.
UAB - 16,706.

I don't know about UAB and ASU, but I have been to a Troy game and I know first hand that they over estimate their attendance. They listed a crowd for the Cal Poly game in 2005 at 18,536 and there was no way that the stadium was even half full (30,000 seat stadium).

Good luck to ASU on rebuilding a once proud program. Sounds like you got a coach that will do it the right way.

SU Jag
July 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I don't know about UAB and ASU, but I have been to a Troy game and I know first hand that they over estimate their attendance. They listed a crowd for the Cal Poly game in 2005 at 18,536 and there was no way that the stadium was even half full (30,000 seat stadium).

Good luck to ASU on rebuilding a once proud program. Sounds like you got a coach that will do it the right way.

UAB does the same thing! I've been to a game where there might have been 7,100 people there but it will show up in the paper the next day as 16,000+xeekx Because they have a rough time selling tickets at one point the were putting free tickets in the Birmingham News to improve the number of fans comming out. They have a great fanbase in basketball though!xnodx

Montanan
July 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
that scared me for a second cause i thought we had violated something i hadnt heard about

now that you've recovered from the scare, let the rest of us in on what violations you have heard abt? ;)