PDA

View Full Version : SLC's Top Beat Writer Switches Schools

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
According to a caption in the McNeese State football photo galleries from Media Day, Gary Laney has left the Lake Charles American-Press to take the sports editor job at the Beaumont Enterprise.

In doing so, Lamar and Beaumont gain the individual who is widely accepted as the top beat writer in the conference (and one of the best in the country), who has a great deal of knowledge regarding all things SLC/FCS and just a great individual.

Now, the Beaumont Enterprise actually has someone who can write about football, particularly Lamar football...as the previous guy just could not cut it.

What a coup for LU and Beaumont...

houtexan
July 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
This is a great pickup for the Enterprise and a plus for LU Football. The mindset in Beaumont is still I-AA instead of FCS and the reporting from the Enterprise (or Surprise) was still I-AA in much of the reporting. Folks in the area want info and want it yesterday. Hopefully we'll see some of his reporting soon.

McNeese75
July 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Gary is a great writer and you will enjoy his column. Now, he pretty much calls it like he sees it so you better be careful what you ask for :D

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Gary is a great writer and you will enjoy his column. Now, he pretty much calls it like he sees it so you better be careful what you ask for :D

Can't wait for what Gary has to say re: Lamar basketball, if he "calls it like he sees it". Lamar is not used to having the truth known regarding the state of affairs with their basketball program. xlolx

McNeese_beat
July 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Gary Laney? That guy's a hack...

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Look at that, the new McNeese beat writer already taking shots at Lamar's new beat writer...or at least, to the untrained eye, that's what it seems like...xnodx

McNeese75
July 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I guess soon he will have to adopt the "Lamar_Beat" name :D Hey, how about we compromise with "Southland_Beat" xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I guess soon he will have to adopt the "Lamar_Beat" name :D Hey, how about we compromise with "Southland_Beat" xthumbsupx

Prefer that much better...I mean, who'd want to associate themselves with a program that could very well end up being a bottom of the barrel school in the conference? Southland_Beat is probably a bit safer until we know what kind of Lamar program is coming out of Woodard and Beaumont...

McNeese_beat
July 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I don't know what to say. I'm at the Enterprise, so I should be all about Lamar...but I'm still living in Lake Charles and commuting, so I still have the Louisiana thing going.

I was joking with someone the other day that, right now, when I run into traffic backed up by a wreck on I-10, I blame it on crazy Texas drivers. But as soon as I find me a house in Beaumont and move in, I'll start blaming it on crazy Louisiana drivers...

houtexan
July 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM
LOL. Blame it on the Florida/Alabama/Mississippi pass through drivers for the interim.

McTailGator
July 31st, 2008, 11:45 AM
I don't know what to say. I'm at the Enterprise, so I should be all about Lamar...but I'm still living in Lake Charles and commuting, so I still have the Louisiana thing going.

I was joking with someone the other day that, right now, when I run into traffic backed up by a wreck on I-10, I blame it on crazy Texas drivers. But as soon as I find me a house in Beaumont and move in, I'll start blaming it on crazy Louisiana drivers...

Hey Gary,

How are those gas prices? xeekx

xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
July 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM

You will have to change your name to Lamar Beat. Your posts are generally very good as I enjoy your knowledge of the game. I will seek out your columns, and good luck on the new job.

McNeese_beat
July 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
You will have to change your name to Lamar Beat. Your posts are generally very good as I enjoy your knowledge of the game. I will seek out your columns, and good luck on the new job.

Much appreciated. Means a lot coming from a Patriot League egghead xsmiley_wix

mikebigg
August 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM

He's no Nick Deriso, but he ain't bad!

Good luck in the new assignment... keep up the good work.xthumbsupx