PDA

View Full Version : A-10/Southland games

HPCAT
October 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I don't remember too many, if any, regular season games involving the A-10/SLC in the last decade.

I wonder why ?

Hansel
October 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
NW St plays N'eastern in a couple of weeks

bandl
October 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I imagine it's because of the huge distance between the conferences, and the cost that goes with that. W&M or UR going to Maine or Umass (and vice versa) is plenty far enough to have to travel!!! :(
I'd love to see it happen though...

bandl
October 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I stand corrected! For some reason (and no offense meant) I don't always think of Northeastern when I think of A-10... :confused: :p

Hansel
October 18th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Also, very few of the A-10 teams (sans UNH, Maine, and N'easter) travel very far for football games.

HensRock
October 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Also, very few of the A-10 teams (sans UNH, Maine, and N'easter) travel very far for football games.

And why should they?

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap.jpg

dbackjon
October 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
And why should they?

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap.jpg

To promote some true inter-regional matchups, get out of the East Coast to some clean, healthy Western air.......

HPCAT
October 18th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I know Texas State played at Boone last year, and we will probably be in Lexington next year, so playing at least the Virginia schools should not be out of the question.

Cost is always a factor, but we went to Poly last year, and will go to Utah next year, almost as far as travel would be to most of the A-10 schools.

I had also forgetten about the Northeastern game at NSU, maybe that is a good start for more games between the conferences.

Coopernh
October 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
New Hampshire Played At SFA 1997 Lost 18-14 .. Played in Durham in 1999 Won 38-28. BTW for a team that doesn't travel UNH played 9 away games last year ( including playoffs).& opened in Calif. At Davis This year.

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 05:54 PM
As Danny Ford said while coaching Clemson to a National title, "Why should I travel 3,000 miles to get my butt beat when I can get the same done close to home."

mainejeff
October 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Don't even go there about Delaware, JMU or W&M travelling..... :rolleyes:

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Don't even go there about Delaware, JMU or W&M travelling..... :rolleyes:

Trust me on this one Jeff. Many UD fans would love to see intersectional matchups. BUT our AD was very conscious of what happenned at Montana to the Montana AD regarding expenses of traveling to Maine. I will be the first to admit that $$$$$ rules the decision making regarding OOC at UD. Our newest OOC game just announced HOFSTRA good team, nice program but We have seen these guys before. Win or lose there will not be much mystery. But who cares there will be 20,000 + whether it is Hofstra or Montana or McNeese.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM
McNeese is 0-2 against Maine in the last 5-6 years or so. First game was a regular season game in their house (horrible game) and the second game was a first round playoff game in LC (that one sucked too).

All other fairly recent A-10 games (Del, Nova, Umass) were in the playoffs.

Tribe4SF
October 18th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Only Southland matchup for the Tribe was '93 playoff at McNeese. I doubt we have any interest in scheduling regular season games with SLC. Too many good options close by.

blackfordpu
October 18th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Only Southland matchup for the Tribe was '93 playoff at McNeese. I doubt we have any interest in scheduling regular season games with SLC. Too many good options close by.

Are you saying that the SLC does not have any good options?

headdressguy
October 18th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Not to speak for Tribe4SF, but I think the point was that, given the choice between a good option close to home and one farther, cost containment and the ability to give fans an easier road trip dictates that we schedule the geographically closer games.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Are you saying that the SLC does not have any good options?

No, he is saying they can get beat without travelling all the way down here!! :D

Dallas Demon
October 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM

We also have a return trip to Boston to play Northeastern next year.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Not to speak for Tribe4SF, but I think the point was that, given the choice between a good option close to home and one farther, cost containment and the ability to give fans an easier road trip dictates that we schedule the geographically closer games.

On the money!

W&M has I-A games scheduled with ACC teams through 2011, with the longest trip being Blacksburg. That leaves two OOC games a year, with VMI being one. I'd like to see Hampton as the other annual I-AA OOC. Very fan-friendly schedule. Tribe will never have to fly to an OOC.

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
The only regular season game I recall involving UD and a Southland team was way back in '74 when McNeese St came to Delaware. I understand that the reason that game was scheduled was due to a hot dispute over who was the DII champion back in '72... when a poll... rather than a playoff was used to determine the title. Both McNeese and UD had claims on the DII title that year... but UD was named #1 in the final poll. Apparently the '74 game resulted from that '72 dispute.

PS... UD won the '74 game... 29-24... coming back from a 24-6 deficit.

McNeese75
October 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
The only regular season game I recall involving UD and a Southland team was way back in '74 when McNeese St came to Delaware. I understand that the reason that game was scheduled was due to a hot dispute over who was the DII champion back in '72... when a poll... rather than a playoff was used to determine the title. Both McNeese and UD had claims on the DII title that year... but UD was named #1 in the final poll. Apparently the '74 game resulted from that '72 dispute.

PS... UD won the '74 game... 29-24... coming back from a 24-6 deficit.

Yeah, Yeah :D , biggest comeback win of all time for UD (I was listening to the radio broadcast of that game and was really POed. But, since then, we have gotten over that one ;)

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM
So that's 25% of the conference. :p

Southland/A10 just doesn't make much sense for the A10 teams. Very few I-AA NE teams recruit LA and TX. Much more sense to stay in the I-95 corridor.

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Trust me on this one Jeff. Many UD fans would love to see intersectional matchups.
Yes and no... depends on who it is. Sure, it'd be cool to see a new team come to Newark, but would you really be up for a home and home with Nicholls? Furman, yes. GSU, yes. YSU, yes. The newest opponent named was Furman so we are headed in the right direction. Hofstra, UNH and Holy Cross were named a while ago...

2006 - WCUPA, Albany, Hofstra
2007 - WCUPA, @Navy
2008 - WCUPA, @Maryland, @Furman
2009 - WCUPA, Furman

HPCAT
October 20th, 2005, 03:54 PM
When did Hofstra join the A-10 ?

I remember back in 96-98 we had a series of games with them.

Texas State won in 96 at home, lost in 97 on the road, and lost the final game in 98 at home.

89Hen
October 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
When did Hofstra join the A-10 ?
2001. They had some INCREDIBLE schedules when they were an Indy.

2000 - Montana, Maine, Delaware, URI, UMass, Portland State, Libery, Elon, Cal Poly, YSU, Albany (went 8-3 (wins bolded) with that and made the playoffs and even beat Furman in the first round.