PDA

View Full Version : #11 James Madison at Delaware

JMU Duke Dog
October 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM
The I-AA.org game of the week is not quite what people might have expected heading into the 2005 season but still is extremely important for the two teams involved. This game is a mandatory victory for both teams so it shall be interesting. Delaware needs to return to their winning ways or things will be quite interesting to say the least in Newark. JMU needs to win this game in hopes of making the 2005 playoffs.

Interesting facts for the upcoming game in Newark:
- Delaware has not lost four straight since 1967 with Tubby Raymond (who their field is now named after)
- Delaware is 2-4 against defending national champions

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2005, 03:37 PM
INTERESTIN' FACT..........BLUEHEN FANS...HOPE DUH HYDRANT HUGGERS.....TAKE DUH NESTEA PLUNGE..DIS SATURDAY!...........OUR FIELD IS DRY....SO DON'T PULL UH UMASS ON DUH FIGHTIN' CHICKENS........:p..........BRAWK!

DON'T LET DUH DAWGS OUT....DON'T..DON'T!........xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
October 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
The I-AA.org game of the week is not quite what people might have expected heading into the 2005 season but still is extremely important for the two teams involved. This game is a mandatory victory for both teams so it shall be interesting. Delaware needs to return to their winning ways or things will be quite interesting to say the least in Newark. JMU needs to win this game in hopes of making the 2005 playoffs.

Interesting facts for the upcoming game in Newark:
- Delaware has not lost four straight since 1967 with Tubby Raymond (who their stadium is now named after)
- Delaware is 2-4 against defending national champions

This should be a good opportunity for you to get your young guys some game experience.

JMU Duke Dog
October 18th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I think this game will be closer than the now pessimistic Delaware faithful are stating. JMU has not won in Newark since 1994.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I am glad I'll be there to see first hand how "bad" Delaware is...

Funny how UMass can't talk their team up enough and Delaware can't beat theirs down enough :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it in Newark this Saturday. Remember, we haven't done well there in the past, and 4 losses in a row would be unheard of for that program. I just think the Hens might have some fight in them this Saturday and I know several of my JMU friends smell something of the nature of Coastal Carolina when we went in not executing well enough to finish the game.

See you at the tailgate!

LacesOut
October 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM
The UD stadium is still Delaware Stadium. They added Raymond Field though. The endzones have that painted in them, in yellow. Eww yuck.

Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium. Real catchy huh?? lol

JMU Duke Dog
October 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
The UD stadium is still Delaware Stadium. They added Raymond Field though. The endzones have that painted in them, in yellow. Eww yuck.

Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium. Real catchy huh?? lol

:o My mistake. I have never been to the Tub before but this weekend I will be there!

LacesOut
October 18th, 2005, 03:57 PM
:o My mistake. I have never been to the Tub before but this weekend I will be there!

No problem.

I've been going to UD games since 7th grade, when Rich Gannon was the QB, and I must say, don't get too excited about it, it ain't that great. lol

umassfan
October 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I am glad I'll be there to see first hand how "bad" Delaware is...

Funny how UMass can't talk their team up enough and Delaware can't beat theirs down enough :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it in Newark this Saturday. Remember, we haven't done well there in the past, and 4 losses in a row would be unheard of for that program. I just think the Hens might have some fight in them this Saturday and I know several of my JMU friends smell something of the nature of Coastal Carolina when we went in not executing well enough to finish the game.

See you at the tailgate!
Do you really think they would be talking their team down so much if they didnt lose the last 3?

HensRock
October 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Do you really think they would be talking their team down so much if they didnt lose the last 3?

Some of us were here talking us down after we won our first three. We have not played well particularly in the first half of ANY of our games. We came back against Lehigh and Holy Cross, but our first half team dug holes that our 2nd half team couldn't climb out of against A-10 competition.

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 06:39 PM
There is more to the recent negativity regarding Delaware's fortunes than the lack of performance by a young, inexperienced team. If you asked any Hen fan what would be Delaware's record after 6 games if:

1. Delaware lost for the year their best 2 starting wideouts.
2. Delaware lost 2 O-linemen for the year who had starting experience from a line already depleted by Graduation.
3. Delaware's lone starting senior at d'back and team co- captain is lost for the year.
4. In nickel defense packages 9 of 11 defenders would be freshmen.

Most would throw up their hands and be happy with 3-3.

There is currently dissatisfaction regarding the perceived lack of support by the administration to upgrade Delaware's program and facilities to match the upgrades being done at A-10 opponents such as JMU, W&M, URI, and the proposed improvements at UNH.

That perceived lack of commitment is supported by the disastrous decisions regarding the playing surface at the Tub. Recent statements by radio reporters suggest that the administration knew as early as 1999 that there were problems with the turf at the Tub and nothing was done. Add to this the overall negativity and fanaticism about sports teams one finds in the Philly area and the overall spoiled nature of us Hen fans who expect to win every week and you are seeing the result. If you think we are negative here you should see the Delaware boards.

The townspeople are in an angry mood and want to string someone up for these crimes. If the sheriff looks for a posse there will be plenty of volunteers!

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2005, 06:53 PM
PLEASE...MARSHALL DILLON.....CAN AH CARRY DUH ROPE?........xlolx.....BRAWK!

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
PLEASE...MARSHALL DILLON.....CAN AH CARRY DUH ROPE?........xlolx.....BRAWK!

Don't we need at least 2 ropes? ;) ;)

JMU Duke Dog
October 18th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I just looked at some of JMU's stats. It is possible that one of our running backs will break 2,000 yards rushing for their careers in Newark this weekend. It just depends if the offense is clicking and how much playing time each one gets.

Maurice Fenner 1,972
Alvin Banks 1,905

Also rumor has it that JMU might get back their top returning (based on 2004 statistics) receiver D.D. Boxley this weekend for the Delaware game. It just depends on the field conditions as it would be a bad idea to bring him back to just get injured again. He has yet to play in a game this 2005 season.

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Just what we need.

Fenner is a lock to get 28 yards. This is the worst tackling Delaware team I have ever seen. (I went to my first UD game in 1960. This dude Eisenhower was still president)

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Delaware can't beat theirs down enough :rolleyes: I'll believe it when I see it in Newark this Saturday.
I've seen it three times this year.... trust me, we're not sandbagging.

Punchykky
October 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Just what we need.

Fenner is a lock to get 28 yards. This is the worst tackling Delaware team I have ever seen. (I went to my first UD game in 1960. This dude Eisenhower was still president)

I don't think I've ever heard of a Delaware football team being as bad as you say. Do you all have a new coach or something? :confused: Injuries? :confused:

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Injuries? :confused:
Thin at some spots coming in and then injuries on top of that. But beyond that many feel the playcalling has been very poor... too conservative at times, then too aggressive at others... ie. 1st and goal at the 3 and four pass plays are called, two from an empty backfield.... LOSS. 3rd and 9 at mid-field and a draw is called... PUNT.

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of a Delaware football team being as bad as you say. Do you all have a new coach or something? :confused: Injuries? :confused:

Yes injuries are a BIG problem but I have yet to hear an adequate excuse for the poor tackling (I do believe tackling is a basic football skill) . I am not exagerating or sandbagging this is the worst tackling Delaware team I have ever seen. I have seen rotten pass defense in the secondary for years but at least those guys could stuff the run and wrap up the guy who caught a short pass. This year every 3rd down is an adventure

The only other poster who goes back further than me is Chickenman. If he has seen worse I want to know it. :confused: :confused:

ngineer
October 18th, 2005, 09:36 PM
This is the Hen's Last Stand. They should be coming out as if there is not tomorrow, because a loss will mean no playoffs. THe defending national champs in the Hen HOuse is UD's last opportunity to make a statement as to who they are. If the Blue Hens are made of anything, and I think they are, they'll surprise the 'Dawgs. A 'typical' A-10 barnburner. Possible OT, but UD prevails on a blocked extra point :( ;) 38-37.

DB_Atlantic10
October 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Thin at some spots coming in and then injuries on top of that. But beyond that many feel the playcalling has been very poor... too conservative at times, then too aggressive at others... ie. 1st and goal at the 3 and four pass plays are called, two from an empty backfield.... LOSS. 3rd and 9 at mid-field and a draw is called... PUNT.

How ironic, some JMU fans are upset because we didn't throw more in the mud and UDel fans are upset that you threw too much in the mud....both were losses....the coaches can't win....

DB_Atlantic10
October 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM
This is the Hen's Last Stand. They should be coming out as if there is not tomorrow, because a loss will mean no playoffs. THe defending national champs in the Hen HOuse is UD's last opportunity to make a statement as to who they are. If the Blue Hens are made of anything, and I think they are, they'll surprise the 'Dawgs. A 'typical' A-10 barnburner. Possible OT, but UD prevails on a blocked extra point :( ;) 38-37.

Unfortunately for UDel, JMU is not coming in with a chip on their shoulders, they are coming in after their 2nd loss in a must win situation also.... I would agree with you otherwise, but JMU has also put themselves in a win out situation to make the play-offs... UDel won't be taken for granted....

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 09:54 PM

We agree that this is the Hens last stand (although they will gear it up against Nova regardless of the record) and no one doubts the talent on this Delaware team even if it is very young. But in the A-10 success and failure is measured in inches and one or two plays. I just don't see a really young team getting it done against a NC team. I believe the boys will play hard and make a game of it but they will lose in the end due to mistakes, bad play calling and intangibles. This is not sandbagging as I would not have said the same if I thought we would have the team I thought we would have had on Jan 15th 2005. But that is not the case. So I hope for the best while anticipating less.

Sam Adams
October 18th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Good point. Some fans are like that and others are not. Some talk their team up or down, win or lose.

Good point, last week JMU was all talking their team up.

JMU2004
October 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Good point, last week JMU was all talking their team up.

lol, the UMass fans were talking MUCH more.....and still are

LacesOut
October 19th, 2005, 07:57 AM
This will be my first UD game attended this season. If UD wins, I'd expect it to be extremely close, like 24-23. If JMU wins, I expect a mudhole to be stomped into UD, a score like 34-13.

Why a 12 pm noon start??? Too early, IMO.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I believe coach Keeler called last week's game with Richmond a "statement" game. The Hens made their statement by laying a fat egg against the Spiders.

RadMann
October 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Article on the field for Saturday's game:

UD field shaping up with repairs
Hens looking to avoid four-game losing streak

By KEVIN TRESOLINI
10/19/2005

NEWARK -- "Tubby Raymond Field began to appear capable of hosting a football game again on Tuesday.

A new playing surface took shape as workers put down sections of two-inch-thick sod in preparation for Saturday's football game between the University of Delaware and James Madison.

The work is expected to be finished today so the field can be painted Thursday, said Bob Hummer, president of Hummer Turfgrass Systems of Lancaster, Pa., which is installing the New Jersey-grown Kentucky bluegrass blend...."

News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051019/SPORTS07/510190348/1002)

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20051019&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=510190348&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&title=1

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2005, 08:22 AM
The major problem with this young UD team is that it has not progressed as most Hen fans expected. I honestly don't think that UD is any better right now than they were in their opening game vs Lehigh and when you are playing as many young and inexperienced guys as is UD... improvemnet is a must. UD still has most of the problems that were a concern on opening night. Defensively it's a porous and soft secondary... little pass rush... poor tackling. On offense it's too much reliance on Omar Cuff... no big play ability... questionable play calling and mediocre OL & WR play. Looking at the UD schedule... I knew that the Hens would have to be much better in Oct and Nov than they were in Sept... but there are no signs of that occuring. However... despite all the doom and gloom I still believe that UD can put it all together for at least one big game at the Tub... and upset either JMU or UMass.

LacesOut
October 19th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I agree with CM. They may just be able to put it all together and upset either JMU or UMass at home. Road games, that's another issue.

BTW, weather forecast, as of now, is chance of rain, Friday and Saturday.

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
How ironic, some JMU fans are upset because we didn't throw more in the mud and UDel fans are upset that you threw too much in the mud....both were losses....the coaches can't win....
Sure they can. Do both like we were asking them to do, pass, run, play action.... The problem with the Hens is the fans ARE actually right. Last year in H'burg down 7 with 50+ seconds to go and 1st and goal on the 3 they spike the ball on first down (stupid with 50+ seconds to go) then proceed to pass the ball three times from an empty backfield (Cuff ran for 162 yards on the day with a 4.8 average). So this year against Hofstra, 1st and goal from the 4, down by 4, OVER a minute to go with a TO remaining and they learned their lesson, right? Nope. Four passes, two from empty backfields. :bang: